Replace luna.ms_ with a new theme

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
litemirrors

Replace luna.ms_ with a new theme

Post by litemirrors » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:28 pm

I've looked around online but found little help. I was trying this on SP3 however what I've found is it just doesn't work. I basically looked at the original luna.ms_ cab and found the file inside was luna.mst

I renamed a single new theme I wanted to use Azul 2.1 Alternatives by ~AndresitoB to luna.mst and recompressed it using makecab luna.mst which generated luna.ms_ The problem is during setup it seems to install but only as luna.mst not the filename it should have of luna.msstyles

I am wondering if it will even work because setup states it's not a proper file type, however it might be due to the extension not being correct. Do you have any ideas? I read somewhere the .cab is actually digitally signed and cannot be overwritten?

For those wondering I did try nLite, the problem is during the process for some reason it just hangs, nothing happens. It just won't process adding a new theme and setting it as the default. That's for SP3 in my experience.

Thanks in advance

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:26 am

Thats not really the best way to go about it.

Grab any one of the theme addons out there and unpack it.

You will see how themes are integrated to XP.

The simplest way is to make sure the files are added to dosnet.inf and txtseupt.sif.

Then on a running system set your theme and save it as Luna.theme. Rename that to Luna.tha and compress then overwrite the existing one in your 1386. Windows will use that theme and display the chosen one instead of Luna.

Hell just gimme a link to the theme and I will whip it up for you.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:32 am

OK found the theme. Gimme a wallpaper and color choice... (The theme has like 6 colors) Which one do you want by defualt?

alur

Post by alur » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:07 am

If you just get the theme files into the install somehow, $OEM$/svcpack/something you can set the default theme by putting something like this in winnt.sif

Code: Select all

[Shell]
CustomDefaultThemeFile="%WinDir%\Resources\Themes\SomeTheme.theme"
A sufficient amount of googling is indistinguishable from actual knowledge.

litemirrors

Post by litemirrors » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:10 pm

I'd like to have this set as the default wallpaper http://n4u2k.deviantart.com/art/Earth-64857484 I have 1680x1050

Here is the theme itself http://andresitob.deviantart.com/art/Az ... -114942813

What I would like is for this to be the default on clean install of XP. I'd like the Steel Blue to be the default color.

Also you wouldn't be able to make an addon for Glass Intel http://fediafedia.deviantart.com/art/Vi ... P-71815558 that would over-write the original files with those so it becomes the default handler?

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:57 pm

http://www.wpiw.net/downloads/addons/Th ... _addon.rar

Size = 1.91 megs MD5 = aa62d5445e433a0d9d0474d80d45cddc

All as requested!

litemirrors

Post by litemirrors » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:06 pm

Thanks! I'm going to try it right now.

Update: Very weird, it did not work Kels :| The Intel Glass works fine but the theme itself, well, there's nothing :? It didn't generate a directory containing the wallpaper or anything. It did install the Luna.th_ file but not the theme itself. Don't know what to make of it. How can I have Glass Intel as a seperate and this addon as a seperate? Anyways thanks and if you ever see this you're so cool :)

PS Also your Kels Brushed Inspirat theme did the same thing?! Perhaps they've changed the routine or something since you last tried?