Are there any women here?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.

Gender?

Male
93%
Female
7%

Total votes: 71

dgelwin

Are there any women here?

Post by dgelwin » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:52 pm

Im just curious to know, do we have any women that grace us with their presence here in the forums except for the ocassional pissed off girlfriend screaming get of the f%&/ing computer or ill kick your ass.
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

buletov

Post by buletov » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:08 pm

the ocassional pissed off girlfriend screaming get of the f%&/ing computer or ill kick your ass
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.

dale5605

Post by dale5605 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:18 pm

I'm really tempted to say that I am so you all will hit on me. But I'm not. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:19 pm

OMFG a woman everybody run!!!!! LOL j/k

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:25 pm

wtf?????? :shock: there is a woman here. wow, welcome

dale5605

Post by dale5605 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:38 pm

dale5605 is my aim if you want to cyber.

ok sorry guys that was naughty :twisted:

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:17 pm

Mine is dgelwin in yahoo messenger, just ignore all post where i mention girlfriend its the nikname i put on my sister ;)

ldb1969

Post by ldb1969 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:45 am

Yep Female here...

I just registered but I have been reading the forums here, MSFN and several other cd creation forums for a few months. Until now I haven't posted on any of them.

I am a complete noobie at coding and am completely self taught when it comes to all things computer. Two years ago I couldn't even format a hard drive and now I can repair damn near any windows system, build a home machine or media server from scratch, as well as install and configure them with xp or several linux distros. Cramming all of that learning time into full time working and single parenting was a challenge... Guys like you and places like this made it all possible

Your girlfriends may not appreciate the time you guys spend on these projects by I sure do.

Thanks again

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:20 am

:shock:
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Daemonforce

Post by Daemonforce » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:17 am

dale5605 wrote:ok sorry guys that was naughty :twisted:
You're a bad man! :o
ldb1969 wrote:Yep Female here...
Oooh looky. A gurl on teh Intarweb.
How......Expected! :D
*insert random Quagmire reference here*
ldb1969 wrote:I just registered but I have been reading the forums here, MSFN and several other cd creation forums for a few months. Until now I haven't posted on any of them.
Correction...A gurl lurking teh Intarweb. :wink:
ldb1969 wrote:I am a complete noobie....(words)...
No you're not. Anyone that can setup Windows redistribution packages/shares and/or use linux tools has at least some clue as to what they're doing. There's the bottom of the barrel before there is noob and then it's just nuber 1337 from there. Billy Bob Gates is noob. Judging from the IT Pro aura of your words, you're far from noob and probably belong in the Developer Room far away from the Dell-AOLer plague. Welcome aboard! :D Sleep is unheard of and caffeine is in the fridge. :)
ldb1969 wrote:Guys like you and places like this made it all possible
No. People like Fritz, GOC and Mac make it possible along with the Professional Developer's Conference and probably...everything leaked from it. :rolleyes: People like Bart, Ryan, Siginet, flyakite, gosh, greenmachine, me, Viper........(words).....Just make it easier on the rest of the world by having sites like this one and detailed FAQs(despite the fact that no one actually reads FAQs anymore).

Ryan really.......Eh.....REALLY takes the work out of the integration procedures with the RyanVM Integration tool and the update/addon packs(to be named later). The obvious point that makes it all possible are people that know what they're doing. Something so expected is sadly lacking in this world and at least there are the few people like Ryan that make things hopeful for everyone. Especially for discriminate foos like me that want direct integration! NOW! O_o Ripping apart the update pack or someone's addon and looking at the code will not only make you say wow, but gives you a pretty good clue how the process is done. As in COMPLETELY! I came here lacking in something critical(DOSNET! -_-) and I needed to process a bit more code just to fix some things. :)
ldb1969 wrote:Your girlfriends may not appreciate the time you guys spend on these projects by I sure do.
I see no objection to this stereotype since said girls may not exist. :rolleyes:
ldb1969 wrote:Thanks again
*goes back to work*
Siginet wrote::shock:
No more caffeine for you. I need you alive. :)

Male goon reporting in. I knew it before, after and without the poll that this place would be as weighted with sausage as my cash during a newegg sale after Christmas(that's pretty heavy!:wink:).
There are only like 9 places on the Internet frequented by a majority of women and only three of them are forums. No it's not that kind of site and yeah it's pretty much the opposite of what you would want to visit every morning.

*sits here still expecting a 99:1 ratio*
Do you have stairs in your house?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:20 am

FWIW, my wife knows that me spending time on this site is a battle she can't win :P
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:51 am

ldb1969 wrote:Yep Female here...
:shock: OMFG siginet look a gurl, dale get ur ass over here quick we actually have a girl with us, damnit everyone get her quick its a girl!!!!!!.

comunity : /slaps dgelwin for overreacting

evilvoice

Post by evilvoice » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:46 am

ya know whats even worse...she registered here JUST to say she was a girl...she said she lurked msfn and here, and ONLY when some GUY asks if there are any girls around does she speak...hmmm, makes one wonder. Anyways, glad you are hear...its nice to see women getting more involved with computers...gives us geeks something to talk to them about.

Sa Seba

Post by Sa Seba » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:30 pm

Interesting how some men in here react to the presence of a girl :shock: :wink:

She better hides somewhere quickly :lol:

Xable

Post by Xable » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:13 pm

i wonder what the 69 is for in her name... :D

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:22 pm

1969 <--
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:24 pm

I need the a picture of Moe from the Simpsons wearing a tophat and a smile when Marge enters the bar.

Xable

Post by Xable » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:51 pm

Siginet wrote:1969 <--
Killer
RyanVM wrote:I need the a picture of Moe from the Simpsons wearing a tophat and a smile when Marge enters the bar.
lol

dale5605

Post by dale5605 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:45 pm

<3 simpsons

buletov

Post by buletov » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:23 am

To girl or not to girl...that is the question!
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.

Zxian

Post by Zxian » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:51 pm

Male here... sorry to disapoint... ;)

My girlfriend understands how much I like Windows... so it's not really a problem. Although I never argue with her when she tells me to come away from the computer. It's usually for a very good reason... :mrgreen: :twisted:
OMGWTFBBQ!!!!1111!!~!!!!!

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:42 pm

Zxian, are you ZQ from [M] by chance?

Zxian

Post by Zxian » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:01 am

ZQ??? no... I don't even know what [M] is anyways... :P
OMGWTFBBQ!!!!1111!!~!!!!!

thuun

Post by thuun » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:22 am

Geez guys, somebody needs some.
alot like this 'girl', if indeed is so, I've been a passive observer for awhile.
I just don't post alot all the time, but I've used RVM packs, nlite, & Unattended site tools at MSFN for a little while, maybe 18 mos.. Hopefully there are lots of us. Had comd64 as a kid, but left it alone until 2 years ago when I began to teach myself all kinds of stuff, and most recently, unattended os dist..
Good sheet. Thanx to everyone for all I've learned!

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:44 am

Apparently there's 5 now, another one just joined today, Mrs. Peel, Welcome to the forums!
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:12 pm

ROFLMAO!!! These kinds of threads always crack me up and I've seen them on so many boards I've belonged to over the years. There always seems to be a little sub-culture of women on male-dominated boards who quietly lurk behind androgenous nicknames - and the women usually recognise each other and quietly chat behind the scenes about their reasons for not disclosing their gender openly and chuckle at all the daft things the male members say about their wives and girlfriends.

And meanwhile the guys wish there were more women members and never stop to wonder why it is that there aren't more "girls" or why any girls that might be here don't come out of the closet as such. Well here's a newsflash for y'all.... some of the responses in this thread are the reason why! LOL.

You blokes just don't get it do ya? You twirps! :lol:

Well I'll share a bit of my history for ldb1969 and my other three lurking girlfriends here ;)

I've always been what some would call "a bit of a tomboy". I dunno why, but girly stuff never really interested me. I was always into math, science and trade subjects at school and can build just about anything if you handed me the right tools for the job. All my ex's have been tradesmen type guys and I always would pick their brains about electrics and mechanics and like to tag along with them to the workshop where I could play around with the power tools (bring on a chorus of Tim Taylor grunts! arfff arffff)

My first job was as a Telecom Faults technician. I was really good at it and I loved it until eight years on the job the decision was made to upgrade all the exchanges to SPC (computerised equipment). Staff would all have to retrain in computer technology and I just freaked out and resigned.

Computers terrified the crap out of me! I could easily get my head around the hands-on tech stuff but computers were a total mystery and I was paranoid about all that invisible bits and bytes stuff that I couldn't see with my eyes or measure with my voltmeter and terrified they would all go poof into the ethers when I went to save a file.

So I decided to run away from this modernising world, I sold up my stuff and bought an old 1950 M Bedford truck, built a mobile home on the back of it and spent the next decade living in hippy communes. I do love my gadgets tho, so I eventually built my own solar power system and managed to live a life of relative luxury with all the appliances I had managed to convert to run directly off my DC power supply.

Eventually I started to get restless and wanted to buy my own land where I could live the way I choose. But you have to earn some real dollars to do that which meant coming back to the real world and retraining in some new alternative career as a means to that end. I chose drafting, because I was always a wiz at technical drawing and working out engineering specs and I thought I could find some niche career designing alternative homes with alternative energy systems.

I did brilliantly with my studies and then 6mths before I was due to qualify they changed the qualification standards here and made CAD drafting compulsory (previously it was only an optional component, so I naturally avoided it because of my computer phobia). So, chickenshit that I am, I never completed the training and moped around for a year on unemployment looking for something else to do - but alas all the jobs were now starting to demand computing skills so I was really screwed!

Eventually I got off my self-pity trip and bought a friggin computer (arrgghhh!!!!) with a promise to myself that I would get over my phobias and devote myself to learning CAD so I could go back and finish off my qualification. Well I never did manage to get my head around CAD... and I never did complete that qualification... but I did discover photoshop and found I had a real talent for 2D graphics work.

Meanwhile I had joined up with a local computer club to start learning about the hardware side of computers and discovered that I had a real talent for that too. Working with physical tools in my hand was a comfortable and familiar place to be and getting confident with the hardware in turn helped me get more confident with the software... and then the OS... etc etc

Next I enrolled in a Graphic Design Course and breezed thru that (despite the fact that I was forced to train on a friggin MAC grrrrrrr) and I actually finished that qualification too (YAYYY!!!) and went on to do some more papers on web design and for the last two years I've been doing part-time teaching studies with the aim of setting up some e-learning programs to help new computer learners that are as computer-phobic as I once was.

So I am currently at about the same place with my computing skills as you here ldb1969. I can build a network from the ground up and I joined the local LUG group last year to start exploring Linux. But the stumbling block that I have with both win and nix is that I really really suck at commandline stuff. I can get away with that in windoze because there are so many GUI tools out there - but I just wouldn't have the courage to completely migrate to linux until such time as I can master that commandline stuff.

As part of my web experience (which has involved a lot of work with XOOPs and Moodle CMS sites) I've got pretty confident at modifying web code and I learned most of that by pulling code other peeps had built apart, then tweaking it and putting it back together again. So that's the learning method I've been using here - pulling apart addon packs to see how they work. But I know there'll come a time when I have to get more into the theoretical side of what we do here and that time is frighteningly close if I am ever to be able to write my code from scratch instead of relying on the work of others which I modify to suit.

Did you hear my knees knocking then???? Hitting a wall of fear is always a precursor to my next big computer learning curve. Each time it gets a little easier to break the inertia and lurking about in forums like these is the best thing to keep moving me forward.

It also helps that I've gotten to the point where I don't give a shit anymore if the guys think I'm a dumbarse gurly for asking seemingly obvious questions and I'm really truly grateful for the guys who respond to me on an intellectual level and with respect. If there were more guys like that around the boards I don't think female members would feel so much that they have to conceal their gender.

Which brings be back to my final word to the guys....

I know many of you live lives of frustration with partners who don't share your enthisiasm for computing and hound the crap out of you for spending so much time at your computers. But please don't take that out on us geek females that are totally head over heels in love with computers just as much as you are. We're here to hang out with you as fellow geeks not as window dressing.

That being said, I do feel sorry for you blokes in some ways because I don't have any real-life female friends either who are as passionate about computers as I am. It's bloody lonely out there at times when you are as excited as hell about some way cool thing that you just upgraded on your PC or some genius piece of code that you just wrote and it worked flawlessly and the people in your offline life don't know enough about what you are doing to be as excited about it as you are.

The only times I get the pleasure of raving enthusiastically and being admired for such things are at monthly computer club meetings and one of the reasons I am single today is that I couldn't stand to live with another person who doesn't understand this stuff well enough to be excited with me when I coded some amazing piece of web code - or has the patience and understanding to leave me be when I am on a creative roll with my work and just want to work thru the night so I don't break my work flow.

The only solution for us all is go look for girlfriends (or boyfriends) at the local computer club or else stop whining cos we compromised brains for beauty in our choice of partner and ended up with one that will never share our technical passions.

Ah! I've been dying to vent about all that stuff on a board for years! I feel so much better now, so I'll proudly go add my vote to the poll up there.

Cheers m'dears.

PS: YOU GO GURLS!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:30 pm

HAhahahahahahahah your so SWEET!!! Good points though.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:39 pm

Awwwwwwww *blush* if you knew me in the real world you wouldn't say that ROFL!!! I forgot to mention in my rant that I was a motorcyclist for 23 years and some of my ex's had some rather unflattering nicknames for me when I was all dressed up in my bike boots. I won't embarass myself by disclosing any of them tho... ;)

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:40 pm

Oooooh now you got us very curious.

Daemonforce

Post by Daemonforce » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:19 am

Mrs Peel wrote:Image
Yeah...Keep talking your heart out. :lol:
Mrs Peel wrote:Computers terrified the crap out of me!
WHY?!

WHY in all that is the Interweb you will always find one of the small 8% of users that don't use a PC?
45% of users use Internet Explorer...
43% use FireFox...
5% use a Dreamcast.

o.O

I blame virii.
Kelsenellenelvian wrote:Oooooh now you got us very curious.
My junkmail filter agrees. =/
Do you have stairs in your house?

Xable

Post by Xable » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:01 pm

But I know there'll come a time when I have to get more into the theoretical side of what we do here
Making addons is easy... once you know how. The tricky thing is understanding how the differant parts involved work. What is realy needed is a guide which lays out what`s actualy involved, that would be an excellant starting point for anyone who want`s to learn this stuff.

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:06 pm

Hehe, if you want to tackle it Xable, I am all ears/eyes... LOL
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

Xable

Post by Xable » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:29 pm

Don`t look at me.