virtualization via suse linux xen , managed by novell's plat

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
bober101

virtualization via suse linux xen , managed by novell's plat

Post by bober101 » Fri May 15, 2009 12:55 pm

hello, at work we are currently looking at migrating to an virtual enviroment, we 1st had a submisson for VMware but the costs were a bit too high.

then we looked at the platespin(novell) solution,the costs seem to be a bit smaller but i would need someone's advice on the subject ,specialy for the platespin solution as we are realy looking forward to stay with novell(we are already using their netware solution).in other words we want to stay with novell.

if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Fri May 15, 2009 5:36 pm

You could go "free" with almost any linux distribution that has managed virtualization involved. (Fedora comes to mind here). Once set up, managing it is not too difficult.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

beats

Post by beats » Fri May 15, 2009 5:47 pm

If you want to stay with Novell, try SuSE Linux (fully backed up by Novell) with something like Sun's VirtualBox products?

bober101

Post by bober101 » Sat May 16, 2009 12:57 pm

thing is the background host OS for each solution is suse linux,so thats is not the issue here. the vmware and the novell solutions have alot of addons for the virtualisation and managment. its to migrate 14 servers on 2 host machines,each solution offers workload managment and data backup ,phisical to virtual conversion etc,this is an entreprise level migration.the standard virtualisation in suse linux XEN is not enought.there is no large scale managment for these virtual enviroments.the hosts must be able to work of a SAN and be able to detect failure and switch to the 2nd host incase of failure and vice versa.

just to let you guys in the big picture we have had 2 submitions for each solution and the software packages come up to around 30 000$ with out new hardware.
XP theme source patcher

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Sat May 16, 2009 7:36 pm

If your "gut" is telling you to stick with Novell because of service and price, then go with your "gut" feeling. I myself work in a service environment (repairing copiers), and I do know that excellent service is a must for many of the customers. Price is just an added benefit if it less than a competitor. I do not have much experience with Novell, but from the sounds of it, you trust them. Let them tell you what they offer, then go for it.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

bober101

Post by bober101 » Sun May 17, 2009 5:54 pm

acctualy that was the problem, waiting on the pros and cons of novell's platespin, our deadline was last friday..guess we will have to extend it into the after life lol.
XP theme source patcher

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Tue May 19, 2009 8:40 am

It costs a metric buttload of money, but a VMware solution is really the best way to go for a mission critical enterprise setup. As much of an advocate as I am for FOSS solutions, there are times when they won't cut it.

We're looking to something at work along these lines, but on a small scale. A dozen virtual servers load balanced over two physical machines with redundant SANs.

bober101

Post by bober101 » Tue May 19, 2009 5:23 pm

we still haven't made a move yet. thing is, with novell we are looking at doing everything our selves, but with the vmware solution we will hire a consultant..which had pushed the vmware idea in the first place.he's like 85 $ an hour (WTF!!).for DIYers like me and the head tech., its really hard to swallow.
XP theme source patcher

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Tue May 19, 2009 8:04 pm

I don't know if you forgot a digit in that guy's hourly rate, but if he's truly competent and experienced enough to properly implement a full scale VMware solution for you then I would say he's a bit philanthropic and you should jump on it.

My rate for things like implementing and maintaining a AD network is $100/hour and I'm on the cheap side of things. Hell doing an XP reinstall is $50/hour.

bober101

Post by bober101 » Tue May 19, 2009 8:52 pm

well then ill keep that in mind and see if he actually has the competence to back his words.
XP theme source patcher

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Tue May 19, 2009 9:15 pm

I don't know if your regional government has a web site available with standard government rates or not but that can be decent guide as far as what different levels of consultants can charge.

I work at the local government level in New York State. Here we have what is known as "state contract". For something that is not a material product like hardware or even something more ephemeral like an annual subscription to Symantec's various enterprise products, consulting services have various rates and these rates are essentially the maximum that somebody can charge if they want to be NYS contract certified and be eligible to bid on government contracts. In my personal experience, the hardware/software/licensing pricing is like buying popcorn in a movie theater (way overpriced). But the consulting rates are a bit more in line with reality.

We're close to implementing the SAN portion of this whole thing since it will be used for things other than the VMware project. And the SAN "architect", as they like to refer to themselves, is costing us close to $200/hour. He's not a private consultant but rather a senior engineer with an IT firm. You do indeed often get what you pay for. Some of the people simply make me look like I've never even touched a computer before. Definitely do some due diligence and Google the hell out of whoever you're looking to hire, ask for references if you don't know of any without asking, and if you're employer is able/willing to do so, see if you can get a D&B report for the firm. We have a local IT firm around here that is just an absolute nightmare. The horror stories seem to come from all corners, but most of them could have been avoided had the customer done just a little bit of investigating beforehand.