Setup Cannot Format This Partition

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
Zoom7000

Setup Cannot Format This Partition

Post by Zoom7000 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:43 am

Recently I have been trying to create an updated image and keep getting the error "Setup Cannot Format This Partition" after it starts setup. I get this on every PC I try even Virtual Machines. Does anyone know what could be causing the problem?

I have tried building an image step by step, first tweaks, compile, then half addons, then compile and then rest of the addons and compile and this works. It just comes up with this error when I create the image in 1 whole step.

Is there anything I could be doing wrong?

kaitsevaim

Post by kaitsevaim » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:29 pm

very hard to say anything about it...my guess would be...it has something to do with operating memory or processor power. Try to check your RAM with some sort of program...maybe its faulty :? I´d reccomend memtest x86
Most important question is why and everything begins of your choice

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:51 pm

What partition are you trying to format?

If you are trying to format a "system" partition, it will not happen. Other such restrictions on formatting could be that you have a swap file open on that partition, or (if you did not install to C:) you could be trying to format the "boot" partition.

Essentially, we need more details on what *exactly* you are trying to do, to what, and when.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Zoom7000

Post by Zoom7000 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:15 pm

I have tried on many PCs (at least 5) and on several Virtual Machines. The VMs are all newly created, and the PC's hard drives are working fine. The answer file is set is format with NTFS. I have used the same answer file from previous builds I have used.

There is no partition of sorts, just 1 simple partition. Everytime I make changes using nLite (just integrating and tweaking, not removing anything) I get that error.

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:27 pm

this isnt the nlite forum

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:49 pm

Seems like you have more than one problem, not including the fact that you also are using nlite. And as pointed out, this is not the forum for nlite.
--Anonymous

Zoom7000

Post by Zoom7000 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:10 am

Yes, I understand that this isn't the nLite forum. However, there are many folks here that probably use it, or the fact that it falls within the similar subject area to what this forum covers. (Unattended XP Installations)

Regardless, I am not asking regarding nLite, but the error during installation. Which may or not be related to nLite.

I don't think it's too hard to ask about something that someone here may have had experience with.

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:32 am

ok here is the answer:

do a test w/o using nlite at all

do a test w/ using nlite.

if you still get problems after using nlite, ask over there since its not a rvmi issue

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:04 pm

Personally, I myself am trying to figure out what exactly the problem is in the first place. The title says "Setup Cannot Format This Partition", yet the post does not explain what and where this error occurs.

Before any help can be given, I would suggest a clear explanation of the process you are using, in addition to exactly when the error occurs. It would also be helpful to explain the process when you do not get the error.
--Anonymous

eksasol

Post by eksasol » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:32 pm

He means when XP disc boot up to choose a partition to install XP into.

Did you removed the "Upgrade/Manual Install" feature from XP? That could causes the problem. If not, then I give up.

Zoom7000

Post by Zoom7000 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:13 pm

I have started getting this issue again. Funnily enough, this time I created a totally vanilla RIS image. (XP CD straight on to the RIS server, no nLite, no integration, nothing at all, just copied network drivers for my VM in to the i386 folder) and unbelievably I am still getting this error. However, if I create a CD from this image, I have no issues! I am totally baffled! Any ideas?

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:56 pm

An exorcism? :) Don't beat me...
Gigabyte case GZ-FA2CA-AJB
Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P with Realtek High Definition Audio
HIS Radeon HD 4850 512MB
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3GHz
Corsair 4GB DDR2-6400 4-4-4-12
4x1TB SATA RAID 0+1/2x640GB SATA RAID 0/Misc. PATA
Windows 7 x64

jaynbe

Post by jaynbe » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:47 am

If you are convinced that your source is reliable I would try from CD or ISO file.
And don't automate partitioning with nLite. For me that has never failed.
Avoid removing to much, or at least things you are not familiar with.
Also delete old logfiles that maybe causing errors

Zoom7000

Post by Zoom7000 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:15 pm

I've already mentioned that I've tried a totally vanilla source. Downloaded the ISO from Technet. I've not made any changes with nLite and the automated partitioning is in the ristndrd.sif file.

That's the most baffling part, I've taken a .sif file from a working image and plunked it in to this one and still gives me errors and I haven't even removed a thing! If I add a winnt.sif file and create a CD, it works fine! I've reinstalled WDS on the server and still the same issue! ARGH! :P

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:46 pm

Zoom7000 wrote:I have tried on many PCs (at least 5) and on several Virtual Machines. The VMs are all newly created, and the PC's hard drives are working fine. The answer file is set is format with NTFS. I have used the same answer file from previous builds I have used.

There is no partition of sorts, just 1 simple partition. Everytime I make changes using nLite (just integrating and tweaking, not removing anything) I get that error.
Using this information, it would seem to me that you could be experiencing a VM problem. Have you tried the install on a *non* VM machine? If not, it could be the VM is preventing something (or the install does not know how to deal with something in the VM).

If possible, try your install on a real computer instead of a VM. The other solution would be to try a different virtualization program.
--Anonymous

Zoom7000

Post by Zoom7000 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:56 pm

crashfly wrote:Using this information, it would seem to me that you could be experiencing a VM problem. Have you tried the install on a *non* VM machine? If not, it could be the VM is preventing something (or the install does not know how to deal with something in the VM).

If possible, try your install on a real computer instead of a VM. The other solution would be to try a different virtualization program.
Yes, I have tried on a HP Ultra Slim DC7800 and a HP Ultra Slim DC8000 - Same result. :(

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:33 pm

i could point out some reasons as to why\how your disks got into this mishmash but this first calls for a workaround. . later if you will ...make your own ssumptions about what got on involved to cause this ..

choices:
use an already running system base where you can easily hook up & do a clean reconfiguration to the Hdrive's involved each.. independently and start fresh...

there might be a shorter workaround for you to test and thats is when\if using shift + F10 brings up the command prompt window for you on that same point where you are getting that error message
if yes! then I suppose you'll be able to run the diskpart tool..

@using these sets of commands in order:

Code: Select all

diskpart

list disk 
it should show "disk 0"

Code: Select all

Select Disk 0 

clean

create partition primary

select partition 1

active

format fs=ntfs quick