[?] Automatically shutdown your router

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
Xtremee

[?] Automatically shutdown your router

Post by Xtremee » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:31 pm

Hi all,

I wanna to know Is it possible to automatically shutdown my router if it is not in use?

meaning, I wanna to set a timer to my router so that if no data exchange or no use of it, it automatically goes to standby mode and after a long time of no use the router shutdown or let's say keep standby (for the seek of WiFi).

It is something like what the Windows do with your PC. Also like Wake On LAN for PC.

Any ideas!!

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:54 pm

how about

unplug router from the electrical outlet

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:02 pm

In order to shutdown/stanby your router, your router needs to be capable to do this.

Mine's ASUS_500_gP have many capabilities, but I do not have seen nothing about stanby/shutdown.

But you can make something else.

You can get power for router from your computer.

When computer starts, router starts, when shutdown, guess ...

I'm doing same thing with light on my desk, with one 12v 5w halogen bulb ...

But you need to be care about voltage and +- polarity!
Last edited by vmanda on Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xtremee

Post by Xtremee » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:05 pm

sound good
but what about if I have more than one PC or also have my laptop what sound I do for that.

btw, I don't think that my router support something like your ASUS one

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:16 pm

This case, you can search manual for your router, and read it. If she have such capability as shutdown/standy you can activate it. If not ...
I don't think that my router support something like your ASUS one
I'm curently using nothing from "extra" capabililies of mine's asus, so nevermind if is oem or something else.
After few days of gaming with it, you will find that's almost all "capabilities" are unusefull.
All extra capabilities that router can do, computer and OS can do better.
So only needed feature for one router, is to be what is intended to be, a good working router.

BTW, you can post model number, maybe some else knows.
Last edited by vmanda on Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 8 times in total.

beats

Post by beats » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:20 pm

How about a timed switch?

ImageImage

Program it to shutdown at xx:xx hours and off it goes (and you can program it to turn it back on again at xx:xx as well). :)

Xtremee

Post by Xtremee » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:36 pm

vmanda wrote:This case, you can search manual for your router, and read it. If she have such capability as shutdown/standy you can activate it. If not ...
I don't think that my router support something like your ASUS one
I'm curently using nothing from "extra" capabililies of mine's asus, so nevermind if is oem or something else.
After few days of gaming with it, you will find that's almost all "capabilities" are unusefull.
All extra capabilities that router can do, computer and OS can do better.
So only needed feature for one router, is to be what is intended to be, a good working router.

BTW, you can post model number, maybe some else knows.
I hope that I can know its model.
I got the router from my ADSL company and it cases with its cover and packaged with its manual (the company)
The only thing that I can get some use of it is the CD that I get from the company which have files refered to d-Link 200i

------------------
@ beats,

I have to omit that it is my first time to hear about timed switch, which is really something so cool. However, in my case I want the router to be active with my PC so when it detect the PC/Laptop is ON it wake up for it and start and if it don't detect that my PC is OFF (through the data request) it goes in a sleep mode after some time.
you know, it is something like Windows does with the standby mode.

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:04 am

what d you *really* want/need to do here. What do you hope to accomplish?

Xtremee

Post by Xtremee » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:07 am

When the router is not in use the router start to count down a specific time then it goes to standby (the router) and when it detect that there is any device asking for a connection it wake up and do its work.

It is something like Microsoft Windows Standby mode but on router side not the PC side.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:34 pm

Believe it or not, that is not possible with today's home networking equipment. If it is possible, I have not heard about it, plus you would probably pay out the nose for a feature like that.

I have a Linksys WRT600n that runs custom firmware from over at www.dd-wrt.com. It is based off of a linux type of firmware. While it cannot turn itself on, with the right script/modification, one could probably make it turn itself off.

Even with all of that, unless you are just a crazy energy saving person, I would be leaving the router on all of the time. Your power savings are negligible to what most computers use up. Most routers are built to be left on all of the time. Besides, it does not really hurt anything to leave it going.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

beats

Post by beats » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:42 pm

I agree with crashfly. My router consumes a few Watts only, much less than a 25W light bulb even. So I leave it running 24/7. Heck, if technology advanced so far we could get our freezers and fridges to 'hibernate'. That would be some real savings on the monthly electric bill. ;)

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:49 pm

I've had my old NetGear router running 24/7 for...mmmm...seven years.

@Xtremee, I don't think this capability exists in any router, or I've never heard of such a capability. There's always some way to make it do what you want, but all the effort and expense wouldn't be worth it. It's unrealistic. You would have to build some custom equipment or combine some already existing equipment that you would have to buy in order to do what you want. It would be mindbogglingly unrealistic, and that's even before taking into consideration if it's a wireless router and you want it to come back on automatically with a wireless connection as well.

I think what newsposter meant by his question (forgive me if I'm wrong newsposter) is WHY do you want it to automatically shut down and come on?

Power reasons? Security? Aesthetics? Whim? Prolong the life of the router?
Gigabyte case GZ-FA2CA-AJB
Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P with Realtek High Definition Audio
HIS Radeon HD 4850 512MB
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3GHz
Corsair 4GB DDR2-6400 4-4-4-12
4x1TB SATA RAID 0+1/2x640GB SATA RAID 0/Misc. PATA
Windows 7 x64

Xtremee

Post by Xtremee » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:47 am

Is there are anyway or let's say any HACK that I can do to get such this thing?
What if I upgrade my router firmware with DD-WRT and start to find anyway that give the router the option to go to standby mode as DD-WRT is Linux Base OS.

---

@roirraW "edor",
What I am thinking about is:

[LAN]==
1) The Router check for the connection if it doesn't find or doesn't have any established connection for a while it goes into standbymode.
2) When the router sense a data request for any upcoming connection it wake up from its sleep mode.
3) If the PC runs and not in use so that there is any data request, the router start to count down for a certain time (that sure you will be able to edit in through the Menu), then the router will go to sleep mode.

[WLAN]==
1) the same as above.
2) The sleep mode for wireless router doesn't mean that there is any signal (X). The sleep mode will keep sending a signal but not a data one (so it is less in power). The signal will check only if the PC/Laptop is passing through the authentication process and when it does, the router will wake up and start its work.

I dunno if something like that can be done using Linux or it is need to re-design a new hardware to get this funtion(s).

>The main usees of sleep mode (Shutdown) are:
1) For the security of your network (only authenticated PC will be able to run the router and connect to the other PCs in the network also connect to the internet).
2) Prolong the router lifetime.
3) Saving some power.
4) For the seek of Earth (green Planet).
5) Reduce the interference that could happen with other signals in the surrounding area (for Wireless router). This interference may be distractive one and reduce your other devices signal.

:D

armond

Post by armond » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:38 am

In my opinion, If a router should have such capabilities, it should have also a "digital power switch". I didn't see a router without an analog power switch yet.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:49 pm

Xtremee wrote:Is there are anyway or let's say any HACK that I can do to get such this thing?
What if I upgrade my router firmware with DD-WRT and start to find anyway that give the router the option to go to standby mode as DD-WRT is Linux Base OS.
As I said before, there is no such thing. To get a router to 'shut down', then yes, that is a mostly trivial task. To get one to come back on, that cannot be done because it does not exist. Unless you can think of a "homebrew" type solution, there is not a commercial solution.

As an additional side note, even a "homebrew" solution would still require *something* to be on to detect signals either wired or wireless. That is almost the same as having the router on with a minimal of savings. So why not just leave the router on and secure it properly? This way, you do not have to worry.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

bober101

Post by bober101 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:41 pm

it sorta should be possible:
http://jdownloader.org/knowledge/wiki/g ... /reconnect

i bet soemthign could be adapted.although shutting it down completely is doubtfull, u can prolly find a way to at lest block internet.

ive used the software and it works.its a bit tough at first to figure out, but u can basicaly record each thing you do in ure routers config html.
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources

Xtremee

Post by Xtremee » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:09 pm

I am talking about a router not about download client.