Well there's one good reason...

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
Daemonforce

Well there's one good reason...

Post by Daemonforce » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:00 am

For the past week I've been tackling an integration procedure for Flash 8.

Manually.

It seems Ryan's update packs fail at this and it wasn't until this morning that I found out why.

If you pay attention to the build directory and the contents of the INFs you point your addon entry to, you would probably open up the i386 and notice Windows XP SP2 has Flash 6 integrated into the installation. I looked around further for answers.

1. It's never going to happen. There is already information pointing to the two necessary files and doing a flash integration would break the installation and/or leave a lot of broken code.

2. If Kel or hp have the lack of sanity to try this anyway, they will find themselves trying to find a way to edit an already existing line of code. Not cool.

3. I tried all of this dispite the pending failure and at least two things go wrong:

At T-15 I get an error from XP Pro setup that ICFGNT.DLL is missing. I decided to poke around in the i386 for a while and much to my surprise this file does not exist and never has. That's discouraging. =/

The end result? Themes, networking, backgrounds, flash and every possible service that can shut down is fux0r3d. I've thought about writing a new set of file names so that Flash 8 and Flash 6 coexist in the same directory, but I still get that ICF error at T-15.

W
T
F
?
!

I will not be held responsible for anyone's sanity being lost upon entering this thread and attempting the above. :?
Do you have stairs in your house?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:15 am

Though you should be responsible for the loss of sanity for anybody trying to make sense of what you wrote...

That being said, what about Flash 8 doesn't work with my pack? I followed the same procedure as I did for Flash 7, which also worked just fine (which, BTW, overwrites Flash 6 on the CD).

Let see, of everybody who's used it, you're the first to have problems. And let's look at your track record, you're also the only person who seems to have had problems with the WGA addons. Noticing a common denominator here?

So tell me again, where exactly does the failure lie?

boooggy

Post by boooggy » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:21 am

dude
it seems that u miss something....and i mean to offer more info...
flash 8 is working just fine here.

Daemonforce

Post by Daemonforce » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:21 am

Be careful with your words. :wink:
I didn't have any issue with the WGA addon. It was manual integration that got me lost because I ignored DOSNET. I have not found any standalone addon of Flash 8 here. I decided to try stealing some of your code in an update pack to see where I screwed up, but even your update pack integrations fail. I have no idea what the deal is, but something in your update packs or your integrator doesn't like my second drive. o_O

Right now I'm still trying to compare data in DOSNET and TXTSETUP to find a line of code that is conflicting with a direct integration method. So far the only thing I can find on ICFGNT.DLL is that setup tries removing this file upon an upgrade.
boooggy wrote:dude
it seems that u miss something....and i mean to offer more info...
flash 8 is working just fine here.
Well here's what I do:

I keep a copy of Ryan's Integration tool in a subdirectory on my desktop. All of my CD source goes to drive D. All my ISO information goes to drive E. I pull data off of drive E when an integration failure occurs or just to start over. Drive D contains everything I try to develop before making a test image. I recall RyanVM's Update Pack (2.0.0) fux0ring my installations or just not working at all after making a new XP Pro SP2 build to start from. I'm starting to wonder if anything here could be the problem.
Last edited by Daemonforce on Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:22 am

flash 8 works for me as well and i use a lot of flash based addons in html work. :D
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:24 am

Here's the original nearly two year old thread from MSFN which describes the process:
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=12263

EDIT: This also may help:
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=ST&f=70&t=23561

(Amazing what a little searching at MSFN can do :rolleyes:)

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:30 am

Daemonforce wrote:I have no idea what the deal is, but something in your update packs or your integrator doesn't like my second drive. o_O
If you're having problems integrating the CAB (and you're using version 1.02 of the integrator - I know a few path bugs were fixed between 1.0 and 1.02), get in touch with Siginet. There very well could be a bug with the integrator which should be fixed.

Daemonforce

Post by Daemonforce » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:46 am

dgelwin wrote:flash 8 works for me as well and i use a lot of flash based addons in html work. :D
Flash is great, that's why I find it worthy of integration. :)
Now if I could only get it to replace...>.<'
RyanVM wrote:Here's the original nearly two year old thread from MSFN which describes the process:
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=12263
Network Security wrote:OMFG! :shock:
Doesn't look like something that gets straight to the point either...Looks like this thread addresses Flash 7 issues when it was still around.
RyanVM wrote:EDIT: This also may help:
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=ST&f=70&t=23561

(Amazing what a little searching at MSFN can do :rolleyes:)
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :D
RyanVM wrote:If you're having problems integrating the CAB (and you're using version 1.02 of the integrator - I know a few path bugs were fixed between 1.0 and 1.02), get in touch with Siginet. There very well could be a bug with the integrator which should be fixed.
I'm not so sure. The CABs integrate fine, but every other time I run into weird issues like a bad line in TXTSETUP or something stalling or missing during setup. I don't run into the later as much anymore so either my code is to blame or I have a bad Windows disc. I would bet on bad code because when I try digging around in your update packs for anything to do with flash files I get a serious lack of code. Maybe I'm trying too hard with this. :arrow:

That's another thing about it. I see absolutely no code in your update packs that touch flash 8. If dgel says it's working, I have to believe him. I guess flash 8 is one of those things that are just ready for integration from the start. How disturbing.

*scraps build and goes back to VRMPVOL_EN directory to grab the last error-free build*

MSFN probably has an answer to this issue, but as long as Flash 6 exists on a XP SP2 disc, I really don't believe anyone here will make a working Flash 8 addon. :(

It's always a cakewalk until someone wants the really kickass stuff. o_O Sadly I'm willing to bet that at least everyone here would love to see a Flash 8 addon.

*goes back to work*

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:01 am

All you have to do is replace the two files in i386. And the flash INF needs a little modification as outlined in the threads I linked you to. An addon could be made in about 30 seconds for it.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:08 am

there is a slight bug with the extrafileedits in integrator 1.0.2 and a bug with short repeated file names as well.
but siginet has this fixed in 1.0.3 latest build, as soon as he and paul are saitsfied with what they have i think they will release the new integrator.
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

Daemonforce

Post by Daemonforce » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:11 am

RyanVM wrote:All you have to do is replace the two files in i386.
That's what I'm doing now! :wink:
RyanVM wrote:And the flash INF needs a little modification as outlined in the threads I linked you to.
Yeah...Getting to that. Flash 8 r22 is the latest build I see so far
*r23 goes public after a few posts...*
and from what I've read the issue is just a version check?
RyanVM wrote:An addon could be made in about 30 seconds for it.
Well damnit man! I'll build it so everyone else doesn't turn into a foo like I did!
:D

I really need to get it ready too. If only to prepare my builds for hotfix integration....But that's for later. :)
dgelwin wrote:there is a slight bug with the extrafileedits in integrator 1.0.2 and a bug with short repeated file names as well.
but siginet has this fixed in 1.0.3 latest build, as soon as he and paul are saitsfied with what they have i think they will release the new integrator.
These things are made really well. They look a bit weird though. The integrators remind me of .NET for some reason.

On to making a new flash addon! :D
*r24 is released....*
*hour later*
*r25 is released*
Oh.....That's why...:(

Xable

Post by Xable » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:21 am

Simply - Taken straight from ryans UDP which has worked for me since always.

Daemonforce

Post by Daemonforce » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:33 am

How.....Expected....:wink:
686K...Wow it's the same size as the Flash addon I made 8 hours ago. o_O
I'm installing my compilation in vmware right now, so if it fails, I'll take a look at your code, sit around for half a day and judge the hell out of it as usual. :wink:

I'm at T-39....These tests become slower and slower with each new ISO I make yet integrating hotfixes makes the installation go faster and faster...lol. :P

EDIT: Nope your code is identical. This should work perfectly. :P

dale5605

Post by dale5605 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:50 am

Why do you think everyone wants a Flash 8 addon? I mean I thought you were the only one that wanted the addon, everyone else just uses the SP2 update pack that this site is dedicated to...

Daemonforce

Post by Daemonforce » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:09 am

dale5605 wrote:Why do you think everyone wants a Flash 8 addon? I mean I thought you were the only one that wanted the addon, everyone else just uses the SP2 update pack that this site is dedicated to...
I've had a few guesses as to why people here do that. Either they just don't want to deal with the individual updates or these people just don't want to understand what is going on when integrating an update pack and they just use it.

I have my own reasons for going the individual update route, but it isn't something an end-user would find practical since XP Pro can barely fit on a CD anymore...:rolleyes:

As for the thinking process, this is a place where hundreds of users join every month. I'm fairly certain there are people that are just looking to grab a specific addon, integrate it and then scram. I know there are a handful of users here that are guilty of that. In any case, the addon projects are going to get a little weird after this point. Unlocker, CabTool....Things I don't find any practical use for in a business environment, yet would kickass in a developer environment...Maybe I'll add these and maybe I won't. The point is that I've never even heard of these before and then found them invaluable to my work. You just know that the next addon I release is probably going to be something no one here uses. Someone is bound to be looking for it though so yeah...I post it soon. :D

Oh yeah...I should probably make another thread for this, but I don't like making new threads...Does anyone have any clue what Microsoft Update is downloading after you install the ActiveX control? It's absolutely huge and I'd like to see it gone if it can be integrated too....Whatever it is. o.O

EDIT: Flash 8 is working as finally expected. -_-
I've been having hell with this for the past week and whenever I search on MSFN the results are rarely relevant. It's a bit surprising that a file rename isn't needed. I guess as long as the OCX is in the Flash folder, it's appropriate as Flash.ocx or Flash#.ocx. Awesomeness in an IE window. :lol: