proposition

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
scarface

proposition

Post by scarface » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:15 am

im afraid there are lots of leechers on the forum. a small minoriy of users make a lot of good software and they are downloaded silently, disregarded the time spent on it. on some forums ive seen that download links are hidden still an user has put 10 posts. it would be a good idea here to prevent massive leeching. you can also verify that just looking that there is always a lot of users browsing this site but few are registered.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:48 am

I dont see a proposition...do you want to force ppl to register then only if they post a thank you in the topic will they be able to dl the addon?

That would suck!!!

scarface

Post by scarface » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:10 pm

indeed. but it would prompt leechers to register here. since the beginning of the site ive come to download stuff. so i know what im talking about.

beats

Post by beats » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:52 pm

Well, I think scarface has a point. Registration required to be able to download... I wouldn't mind that.
But like ricktendo64 said, a voting system to be able to download would suck indeed.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:19 pm

Is it really a big enough problem to spend a lot of time trying to fix?
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:22 pm

I've got a feeling that as many/most people move on to Win7, the board here will get less traffic.

No sense putting in place something that would further reduce the traffic.

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:28 pm

a lot of people cross post their addons on other forums already, so most can be found regardless of it they are hidden here or not

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:01 pm

newsposter wrote:I've got a feeling that as many/most people move on to Win7, the board here will get less traffic.

No sense putting in place something that would further reduce the traffic.
when the new RVMi for Win7 is completed I'm sure the forums here
will start filling up addons and packs for the new OS.

XP will be around for a while....

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:02 pm

registration is a good idea but that's as far as it goes.
once registered downloads should be accessible.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:36 pm

I disagree, free and open forums for anybody to download any addon without registering

avexmode

Post by avexmode » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:45 pm

Well, I guess its up to the add-on maker to decide that. If they like to make it public or only available for the community.

Well, in some forum they do something like this:

Code: Select all

[hide] download link [/hide] 

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:37 pm

ricktendo64 wrote:I disagree, free and open forums for anybody to download any addon without registering
i agree with you, i was just stating IF there was some issues than registration would be fine.

obviously whatever i release is for free public use.

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:14 pm

It doesn't harm people don't stay a step here saying "thanks", but it HARMS when ALL people do this.

I always dislike forums in China because there are always accessing restricts, and full of "thanks" replies but no feedbacks. A result is that people don't read the replies carefully(finding useful information among tons of "thanks"? huh!), and most authors don't care about people's feedbacks at all, what they care about is the useless amount of replies, WTF!

And for the user, saying "thanks" will be a behavior for leechering, not showing respect, that will be sad.

Anyway I've been trying my best to lead a Chinese forum of my friend to make it somewhere people can learn, share things for free.
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

shiner

Post by shiner » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:03 am

a small minoriy of users make a lot of good software and they are downloaded silently, disregarded the time spent on it.
Personally I have never disregarded the time and effort put into all the tools posted for download here. It not only saves me considerable time, but I also learn a lot and it makes tinkering with my system really interesting! (It also gives me reason to keep Windows 7 on the back burner.)

If constructive feedback is wanted by the builder of the pack or addon for anyone downloading it, can't that be simply stated in the initial post for that download?

Also, what if in a particular case, suppose no issue is discovered by the downloader?
What should they post? Just "Thank You, it seems to work perfect."

I agree with yumeyao,
It doesn't harm people don't stay a step here saying "thanks", but it HARMS when ALL people do this.
and also RyanVM,
Is it really a big enough problem to spend a lot of time trying to fix?
I could be wrong, but I think most people who encounter an issue with something download here and are capable of providing constructive feed back on that issue, would do so without much hesitation in order to assist in bettering it.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

eksasol

Post by eksasol » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:20 am

In some forum there are a reputation feature where the users can "thanks" another user to raise his/her reputation. Although this doesn't really address the problem directly.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:40 pm

Honestly? Even though I REALLY hate the leechers I would have to stop posting my addons and keeping them updated if they were not public access...

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:38 pm

"I don't like Mondays" - The Boomtown Rats

or

"Sounds like somebody's got a case of the Mondays" - Office Space
Gigabyte case GZ-FA2CA-AJB
Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P with Realtek High Definition Audio
HIS Radeon HD 4850 512MB
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3GHz
Corsair 4GB DDR2-6400 4-4-4-12
4x1TB SATA RAID 0+1/2x640GB SATA RAID 0/Misc. PATA
Windows 7 x64