Why aren't SATA burners any friendlier than IDE burners?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
marzsyndrome

Why aren't SATA burners any friendlier than IDE burners?

Post by marzsyndrome » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:51 pm

I recently decided to give SATA more of a go and so purchased a Samsung DVD burner for it, as well as a PCIe card since there were no free SATA ports for me to connect the burner into on my motherboard.

That was last month, and yet it's dawned on me how cumbersome it's noticably become at times. The PCIe connection seems to add an extra couple of/few seconds to my system's boot time as it gets round to reading my drive, but the major flaw I've found is that if there's a disc in the drive during this process, it sticks on that detection screen. Forever more. Without so much as an error or a message of sorts to indicate something went wrong. I can't be the only person on the earth who's encountered this sort of problem, right? It's such a monumental clanger in regards to a format that's supposed to make IDE obsolete in the future.

This means I can't use this drive to boot a disc from at startup (say a Live CD or a Windows disc for instance). Yes, I've tried the old "leave the drive empty, invoke the boot menu then insert your disc" ploy, but the system decided it couldn't read my drive properly at that point(?!), giving me an error and suggesting I press F2 to go to the BIOS setup.

Under Windows itself mind you, it boasts no problems at all. Well, apart from giving me the feeling that it's really no faster than IDE after all.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:02 am

I've had similar problems with IDE cards in the past, marzsyndrome. It seems that ATA expansion cards are not designed to accept anything except hard drives. I've always resorted to moving one hard drive to the card so I have a spare connector from the motherboard to attach the optical drive.

I never had this problem with SCSI, but no consumer motherboard had SCSI on board. :)

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:57 am

boot devices really need to be hooked to the motherboard ports.

that alone could explain your problems.

it's got not one thing to do with sata or ide or even optical drives and everything to do with the boot order and bios of your motherboard......

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:00 am

Unless your boot device is SCSI. ;)

marzsyndrome

Post by marzsyndrome » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:38 am

Well I do also have an IDE burner that naturally works without a problem, but then it uses IDE connectors. ;) It can also boot discs at startup just dandy.

Interesting that an expansion card may have a weakness compared to motherboard ports. So if I attempted to, say, connect my main boot HD (out of my two hard disks) to the card, that would fail at startup also?

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:54 am

Once again, it's NOT the expansion card per se. No 'weakness' there at all. Things are working as the platform (wintel) is designed.

It's all about how a wintel mobo detects boot devices. That process is governed by the mobo bios.

The reason your IDE drive 'works' is because it's connected directly to the motherboard, NOT because it's an IDE drive.

There are higher-end (more expensive) expansion cards that have a fully capable boot rom on board. This rom advertises the expansion card as a boot device which, depending on how the mobo bios is working, should bring up the boot devices somewhat faster.

Also, PCIe expansion cards often work better/faster than simple PCI expansion cards. Newer tech, better PnP capabilities, etc.

Remember that this is all run by your mobo and the mobo bios. Some mobo bios are more friendly to expansion card boots than others are. There are a lot of variables to test.