Complete files suddenly becoming incomplete

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
rubab

Complete files suddenly becoming incomplete

Post by rubab » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:32 am

I have 4 Partitions on my SAMSUNG F3 HD103SJ 1TB hard disk(C,D,E,F). The problem only happens with the E: Drive(232GB).

Whenever i download a file in that drive it becomes incomplete after i restart my PC. It doesn't happen with every file.

For example if i download a 100mb torrent in that drive and complete it, after i restart my pc and force recheck it, it will suddenly become 90mb and utorrent will show data is missing in the middle of the file.
I didn't ever force recheck without restarting my PC, so i don't know if it has something to do with restart or not. I always properly shutdown my PC.

Few days back i downloaded an Anime in that drive and all the episodes had CRC in the filename. I checked the CRC's and everything was fine. A week later when i rechecked the CRC's using RapidCRC it showed that 2 of the files had a mismatch. This happens with exe files too.

I checked my Hard Disk using the Error Scan of HD Tune Pro 4.61 and it didn't show any errors or bad sectors. Then i scanned that drive using chkdsk /R and after checking for 1 hour it didn't show any errors.

It has become a regular routine, almost all the torrents which are larger than 5 GB needs to download another 100 or sometimes 500mb to re-complete them.

I am using Windows XP SP3 32-bit.

Can anyone kindly tell me what can i do to solve this problem? :cry:
Last edited by rubab on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:39 am

Does this happen only with torrents? Some Bittorrent clients, such as Azureus/Vuze, have an option to preallocate file space before beginning the download process which may help.

It's possible that your hard drive needs to be replaced. You should allow ChkDsk /R to run to completion; much more than an hour if necessary.

You could also try disabling write caching to the drive using the following procedure. If it works then I'd still recommend replacing the drive.
  1. Type DevMgmt.msc in a Run box or CMD window.
  2. Expand "Disk drives" and double click the afflicted drive.
  3. In the Policies tab, untick "Enable write caching on the disk" and click OK.

rubab

Post by rubab » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:12 am

No it also happens with files i downloaded using download managers or my browsers.

For example, I downloaded an Anime series from Megaupload and after the download was finished i checked the CRC's of every episode using RapidCRC and all of them matched. But after a week or so when i was about to burn that anime i checked the CRC's again just to be sure and found that 2 episodes were showing CRC mismatch. So a perfectly ok file was somehow missing chunks and this only happened with this partition. Strangely it takes a lot longer to access/copy/move most files from this partition.

Partition C,D & F don't have any problem at all.

I did let Chkdsk /R to fully complete, what i meant was it probably took an hour to complete and the result didn't show any bad sectors or errors.

Ok i will try what you said.

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW

Post by =[FEAR]=JIGSAW » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:02 am

What is your reason for running the drive with 4x partitions :shock:

rubab

Post by rubab » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:26 am

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW wrote:What is your reason for running the drive with 4x partitions :shock:
I use each partition for separated contents, like games,animes,movies,etc. and it also helps me to defrag a partition fast. I mean defragmenting 1TB does take a lot of time on my pc.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:22 pm

The problems with the files you are having would definitely seem to be a hdd issue. Although running chkdsk would do something similar, you might try moving everything off the drive and performing a regular long format on the partition (not the quick format as it does not check for bad spots).

It could also very well be that your drive is getting too hot causing the electronics of it to be "flaky" at different times. I had this happen right before a hdd failed. The system would randomly become unresponsive and the drives/partitions on that hdd disappeared. Restarting helped until the drive finally failed on me.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

rubab

Post by rubab » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:06 pm

Each and every reply is scaring me more. At the moment i am moving files from that drive to prepare it for a full format. Thanks

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:07 pm

obsessive defragging could have easily run the i/o count on your hard drive up and up and up....

be careful out there.