Is there an equivalent of "HideDrivesWithNoMedia"

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
marzsyndrome

Is there an equivalent of "HideDrivesWithNoMedia" for XP?

Post by marzsyndrome » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:56 pm

This is a registry key that was supposedly added to Windows 7 that allowed one to prevent removeable drives from displaying in My Computer until/unless you inserted something (e.g. an SD card) into them.

My Dell PC (six years old now, bless!) included an internal card reader that allowed for a handful of different kinds of card media, but which had the downside of making XP's My Computer display these drives at all times - regardless of use/non-use status - and with no distinct names to them, all going under the generic handle of "Removeable Disk"....... so this made working out which drive letter my SD card or Memory Stick or whatever would be read under a puzzling chore of clicking on each one to receive either a "drive empty" response or a new window showing my card contents. It got so aggravating in the end, to the point where I simply unplugged and removed the reader entirely and resorted to various external devices (though whether they'd fit properly at the front of my tower is another matter entirely!).

If there's any way at all - be it official or third-party - that this one(!) positive aspect of Windows 7 can be backported over to XP, I may be enticed to put my internal reader back in and forego all external reader means.

Hopefully I'm not living a bloody pipe dream!

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:20 am

I think DSI will do what you want.
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5454
Some heroes don't wear capes, they wear Kevlar and dog-tags!

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:50 pm

I'll be interested to know if indeed DSI does what the OP desired.

Cheers and Regards

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:12 am