How to remove "Edit" from .txt context menu?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
marzsyndrome

How to remove "Edit" from .txt context menu?

Post by marzsyndrome » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:43 am

I appear to have a stubborn entry on my right-click menu for text (.txt) files that refuses to go away.

I find "Edit" to be pretty redundant, given that "Open" performs exactly the same function anyway. And yet, there's no "Edit" entry under "txtfile" in the registry, and even deleting the "Edit" entry from HKCR\Applications\notepad.exe didn't do the trick. I've done a thorough search for all instances of "notepad.exe" and couldn't find anything else of interest, and "edit" is too generic a word for me to use as a search term across the whole of the hive.

Just now I tried ShellMenuView and ShellExView - both from Nirsoft - and they couldn't track the source down either. So is it a fixed option courtesy of shell32.dll that I have to hack out with ResHack, or something else?

Grrrrrrrrr!

shiner

Re: How to remove "Edit" from .txt context menu?

Post by shiner » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:56 am

marzsyndrome wrote:...

I find "Edit" to be pretty redundant, given that "Open" performs exactly the same function anyway. ...
For .cmd files, "Open" and "Edit" do not perform the same function.
There are probably other file types where this is the case as well.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

marzsyndrome

Re: How to remove "Edit" from .txt context menu?

Post by marzsyndrome » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:58 pm

shiner wrote:
marzsyndrome wrote:...

I find "Edit" to be pretty redundant, given that "Open" performs exactly the same function anyway. ...
For .cmd files, "Open" and "Edit" do not perform the same function.
There are probably other file types where this is the case as well.
Well, yeah, of course I'm going to leave "Edit" in for certain text formats that don't open up Notepad on a double-click. What I'm talking about is extensions like .txt, .ini and .inf that continue to provide both choices when simply one is enough.

And I did check shell32.dll in ResHack - both XP and 7 versions to be precise - and couldn't find anything that looked very obvious that I could hack out.

marzsyndrome

Post by marzsyndrome » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:02 pm

So nobody knows how to solve this problem then? :(

marzsyndrome

Post by marzsyndrome » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:44 am

Surely *someone* must know where this elusive "Edit" option is coming from?

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:18 am

sysinternals autoruns will find a lot of shell extensions too.

marzsyndrome

Post by marzsyndrome » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:22 pm

Thanks for reminding me of that program, but alas it too doesn't really point anything out for me...

However, that's essentially a moot point as I've just discovered the source! Well, sort of. It all seems to be related to the "Perceived Types" function built within Windows. If I go to "HKCR\.txt" and delete the "PerceivedType" string, the "Edit" option disappears from the context menu. This causes the side-effect of web browsers not viewing text files directly anymore however, and instead treats it like any download with a pop-up option. I can still just have it download and auto-load Notepad afterwards though. But still........... if anyone can educate me more about Perceived Types and where within the registry (or dll files) they're getting the context options from, I hope to be able to just eliminate Edit directly without affecting any web-browsers in the process.

Anyone willing to help out? :)