Restore Xp install.wim after Vista and get err1err3

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
UtCollector

Restore Xp install.wim after Vista and get err1err3

Post by UtCollector » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi all,

With imagex i made a install.wim file from xp pro. I made from a 26 gb big partition C: Than i format the hole harddrive. After it i made a 30 big partition ash drive c: I wash happy that i could just restore the install.wim with imagex and all worked.

I did a TIME taking reinstall of my Vista Home Premium recovery disk's. (Installed sp1 and sp2 + 150 updates. Did really take long to Install update Vista bloadware) After it i did a sysprep and used imagex in the next step to make a install.wim. Happy me finally got my Vista updated and backed up. Sow now i could format the anoying Vista from my harddrive.

Sow now i did use imagex again and restore my xp install.wim to the c drive. (I did format the drive 100% before image restore. Slow option) When i did boot i did get the message err1err3

Why does xp not work? Something wrong with the bootloader ore bootsect maybe?

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:55 pm

UtCollector wrote:Why does xp not work? Something wrong with the bootloader ore bootsect maybe?
I'm using Mbrwhisky.exe to repair MBR (Disk > Repair PE\XP\2K3 MBR)
from this package, then i'm using WinNTSetup 1.5 to deploy XP,
from some self made live XP CD (like Hiren's.BootCD, but created using WinBuilder).

Also contains WinNTSetup 2.1 that can deploy OS as Install.WIM packages, but i have not tested it yet.
And contains bootsect.exe (needed by WinNTSetup) and other stuff needed by MBR/Bootsect restoration.

UtCollector

Post by UtCollector » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:32 am

Thx im going to try that:D