[Release] Gotcha! Data Backup

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
Siginet
Site Admin

[Release] Gotcha! Data Backup

Post by Siginet » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:55 pm

Gotcha! Data Backup

UPDATE: Gotcha! Data Backup is now featured in Computer Power User Magazine! Issue January 2013 on page 72!! :)

This is my latest invention. ;) It's actually been in the works for many years. I've been using it in my internal Computer Repair company for a long time now.
It is used to backup user data from a system before reinstalling a computer... or to transfer the data to another computer. I've built in many of the much needed areas that Technicians tend to need to backup.

It can be used on a system running windows. It can also detect multiple Windows Drives and ask you which drive you wish to do backups from. This is helpful when you attach a customers drive as a slave drive on your system by connecting their drive internally in your computer or through USB. It also will work on WinPE.

Another useful feature it has is the ability to Move Files to your backup location instead of copying them. This is a great feature if you wish to quickly move all of their important data into a folder on the same drive that you will be reinstalling the system. Since all of the data is being relocated to a spot on the same drive backups will be much faster.

Here are some of the things Gotcha! can backup:
  • Windows Product Keys
  • Office Product Keys
  • Drivers
  • Shared Docs
  • Fonts
  • Desktop
  • Favorites
  • My Documents
  • My Pictures
  • My Music
  • My Videos
  • Downloads
  • Firefox
  • Google Chrome
  • WinMail
  • Outlook Express
  • Microsoft Office
Please let me know what you think! Let me know if you come across any bugs! Let me know if you have any ideas you wish me to add as well!!
*** This is still in Beta... so use at your own risk ***
Download and Review @ FileForum.com
Last edited by Siginet on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:54 am

Thanks Siginet!

Cheers and Regards

OnePiece Alb

Post by OnePiece Alb » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:25 am

Hi Siginet, Nice program, Thanks that you shared it with us

Ciao.

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:09 am

will check it out and report back........

when i try and run the exe i get the following:

i have to use taskmanager to end the process and then i can CANCEL.

so the new tool does not work for me at all.

OnePiece Alb

Post by OnePiece Alb » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:53 am

in Windows8-ReleasePreview x32 everything looks Ok

Ciao.

tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:45 am

Thank you for the utility. It seems to work in Windows 2000. Just two questions/suggestions:

1. In the keys.txt this is shown:

Code: Select all

Product Name			: Microsoft Windows 2000 (UnKnown Type)
Why "Unknown Type"?

2. I think it would be useful to have a STOP/PAUSE button. Now you've got to use the Task Manager to close the program while files are being copied.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:06 pm

user_hidden wrote:will check it out and report back........

when i try and run the exe i get the following:

i have to use taskmanager to end the process and then i can CANCEL.

so the new tool does not work for me at all.

Odd... when you click on continue what happens next?
I have a feeling it may be looking for multiple windows drives on your system. For some reason one of your removable drives... like a memory card reader or floppy drive is being checked. Which is weird because it's supposed to skip those kings of drives.

I have a feeling if you click continue it will open correctly. Or it may pop up the same error another time.

Also... can you go to your My Computer and attempt to open each of your drives? See if any of them will give you that error as well.

Thanks for the feedback!
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:07 pm

OnePiece Alb wrote:in Windows8-ReleasePreview x32 everything looks Ok

Ciao.
Great thanks! I had not had the chance to test it on Windows 8 yet! :D
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:16 pm

tomasz86 wrote:Thank you for the utility. It seems to work in Windows 2000. Just two questions/suggestions:

1. In the keys.txt this is shown:

Code: Select all

Product Name			: Microsoft Windows 2000 (UnKnown Type)
Why "Unknown Type"?

2. I think it would be useful to have a STOP/PAUSE button. Now you've got to use the Task Manager to close the program while files are being copied.
It is because it is attempting to detect the type of Windows. OEM Retail Corp. My method to detect the type in 2000 must not work correctly.

Do you mind me asking what Type your OS is?

Did it grab your product key?
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

OnePiece Alb

Post by OnePiece Alb » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:38 pm

Siginet wrote:

Ciao.
everything seems ok, fate backup correctly, the product key of windows and office 2013 ect ect

@Windows XP SP3 (Virtual Machine)
It seems that everything is OK, just need to click Continue (and DriverGrabber that brings out the error, after the backup driver, proceeds Ok), after everything goes OK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-0DCcY0fdo

Ciao.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:01 pm

OnePiece Alb wrote:
Siginet wrote:

Ciao.
everything seems ok, fate backup correctly, the product key of windows and office 2013 ect ect

@Windows XP SP3 (Virtual Machine)
It seems that everything is OK, just need to click Continue (and DriverGrabber that brings out the error, after the backup driver, proceeds Ok), after everything goes OK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-0DCcY0fdo

Ciao.
OK Thanks! I know exactly what the issue is then. DriverGrabber uses a simular method as Gotcha! for checking all drives for a windows installation. I had fixed an issue in Gotcha recently that was causing that error... but I forgot to fix the same problem in DriverGrabber.

For now clicking continue will work just fine... but I will update and repair this issue in the next release. Thanks for the help!
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:27 pm

Siginet wrote: It is because it is attempting to detect the type of Windows. OEM Retail Corp. My method to detect the type in 2000 must not work correctly.

Do you mind me asking what Type your OS is?

Did it grab your product key?
It's Retail. The key itself was grabbed correctly :) and "Product ID" too.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:56 pm

Do you mind messaging me the Product ID? I know Gotcha is supposed to detect the type using the ID. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:15 pm

Siginet wrote:Odd... when you click on continue what happens next?
I have a feeling it may be looking for multiple windows drives on your system. For some reason one of your removable drives... like a memory card reader or floppy drive is being checked. Which is weird because it's supposed to skip those kings of drives.

I have a feeling if you click continue it will open correctly. Or it may pop up the same error another time.

Also... can you go to your My Computer and attempt to open each of your drives? See if any of them will give you that error as well.

Thanks for the feedback!
when i click continue it still pops the same error.
any button i click i get the error.
i have to close it via taskmanager to exit.

all drives open correctly using my computer.

C: = winXP
D: = data
E: = win7

let me know what data you require.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:36 pm

Do you only get this error when doing driver backup? Or do you get the error as soon as you open the program? Keep clicking on continue and see if it ever goes completely through.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:30 pm

Siginet wrote:Do you only get this error when doing driver backup? Or do you get the error as soon as you open the program? Keep clicking on continue and see if it ever goes completely through.
i get the error right away....ok if i click about 11 times it will start the program.

guess what?.....the included drivegrabber 2.0b8 i think is the culprit.

when run alone or within Gotcha it only finds my nvidia video driver and nothing else. it also displays the error i mentioned and have to click 11 times to start it. it then gives me a choice box for selecting the windows drive which i do and it starts it's scan but the choice box reapears while scanning and will not go away. pressing OK CANCEL or the X does nothing.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:22 am

user_hidden wrote:
Siginet wrote:Do you only get this error when doing driver backup? Or do you get the error as soon as you open the program? Keep clicking on continue and see if it ever goes completely through.
i get the error right away....ok if i click about 11 times it will start the program.

guess what?.....the included drivegrabber 2.0b8 i think is the culprit.

when run alone or within Gotcha it only finds my nvidia video driver and nothing else. it also displays the error i mentioned and have to click 11 times to start it. it then gives me a choice box for selecting the windows drive which i do and it starts it's scan but the choice box reapears while scanning and will not go away. pressing OK CANCEL or the X does nothing.
I think you just like making me work hard at coding. LOL! I'm sure it'll be something simple for me to repair. My biggest worry is that it only gets your Video driver. Are all of your other drivers from microsoft? Does a different version of DriverGrabber get more drivers?

Thanks for reporting. :)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:08 am

Siginet wrote:I think you just like making me work hard at coding. LOL! I'm sure it'll be something simple for me to repair. My biggest worry is that it only gets your Video driver. Are all of your other drivers from microsoft? Does a different version of DriverGrabber get more drivers?

i love making you work :)

yup the last drivegrabber 2.0 beta 7 solved all the issues we worked on and grabbed all drivers and files. this version in Gotcha which is 2.0 beta 8 just grabs the video driver.

let me know if you want any logs.

OnePiece Alb

Post by OnePiece Alb » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:35 am

just a suggestion about DriverGrabber, maybe it's better to use the Windows API SetupGetInfDriverStoreLocation + SetupGetInfPublishedName ect ect

Ciao.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:30 pm

OnePiece Alb wrote:just a suggestion about DriverGrabber, maybe it's better to use the Windows API SetupGetInfDriverStoreLocation + SetupGetInfPublishedName ect ect

Ciao.
I'm interested in learning how this would be done? Could you send me some sample code in autoit that would utalize this? I'd like to implement this into drivergrabber.
Thanks!
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:32 pm

user_hidden wrote:
Siginet wrote:I think you just like making me work hard at coding. LOL! I'm sure it'll be something simple for me to repair. My biggest worry is that it only gets your Video driver. Are all of your other drivers from microsoft? Does a different version of DriverGrabber get more drivers?

i love making you work :)

yup the last drivegrabber 2.0 beta 7 solved all the issues we worked on and grabbed all drivers and files. this version in Gotcha which is 2.0 beta 8 just grabs the video driver.

let me know if you want any logs.
I suppose it could have something to do with the drivergrabber.ini that is used internally in Gotcha. Could you try using DriverGrabber 2.0 Beta 8 with the drivergrabber.ini you use in beta 7 and see if it gives you better results?
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:01 pm

Siginet wrote:I suppose it could have something to do with the drivergrabber.ini that is used internally in Gotcha. Could you try using DriverGrabber 2.0 Beta 8 with the drivergrabber.ini you use in beta 7 and see if it gives you better results?

been there done that....no diff
doesn't grab drivers with new and old INI

OnePiece Alb

Post by OnePiece Alb » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:29 pm

Siginet wrote:
OnePiece Alb wrote:just a suggestion about DriverGrabber, maybe it's better to use the Windows API SetupGetInfDriverStoreLocation + SetupGetInfPublishedName ect ect

Ciao.
I'm interested in learning how this would be done? Could you send me some sample code in autoit that would utalize this? I'd like to implement this into drivergrabber.
Thanks!
I really like the DllCall, Months before i wanted to write completely in the Windows API "DX WInNT6.x True Integrator", so or started learning the DllCall (with my English by Google Translator hmmmmm http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic ... parameter/ ),
but the free time and always more less hmmmmm, so I let it go for the moment, I mean not that I'm so good with DllCall, but here it must be OK
http://cl.ly/J56j/download/Get%20Driver%20Test.au3

Ciao.
Last edited by OnePiece Alb on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:49 pm

Ciao.
These APIs are supported only on Windows Vista and newer.

By the way, is the driver grabbing function disabled in Win2k?

OnePiece Alb

Post by OnePiece Alb » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:55 pm

tomasz86 wrote:

Ciao.
is right, but those are OK (drivegrabber found only 8 dirver, instead Windows API Mod found 20 driver, equal to the Dism), example Windows 8 RP

Windows API au3 code

Ciao.

tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:32 pm

By the way, a small graphical glitch:

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:39 pm

tomasz86 wrote:

Ciao.

By the way, is the driver grabbing function disabled in Win2k?
It is not disabled. But I don't have win2k to test on ATM.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:41 pm

OnePiece Alb wrote:
tomasz86 wrote:

Ciao.
is right, but those are OK (drivegrabber found only 8 dirver, instead Windows API Mod found 20 driver, equal to the Dism), example Windows 8 RP

Windows API au3 code

Ciao.
DriverGrabber skips collecting Microsoft Drivers. Except for LAN Drivers. There isn't much of a need to backup microsoft drivers.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:42 pm

tomasz86 wrote:By the way, a small graphical glitch:

I haven't formatted text to fit when a user has bigger fonts on their computer.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:58 am

Siginet wrote:DriverGrabber skips collecting Microsoft Drivers. Except for LAN Drivers. There isn't much of a need to backup microsoft drivers.
But this might be an appropriate option in some circumstances.

Cheers and Regards

OnePiece Alb

Post by OnePiece Alb » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:59 am

Siginet wrote: DriverGrabber skips collecting Microsoft Drivers. Except for LAN Drivers. There isn't much of a need to backup microsoft drivers.
Yes i understand, however maybe it's better to use Windows API mod WinAPI Get Driver List in WinNT6.x (and only a suggestion), I do not know, As always it is very important that something is working (DriverGrabber already working OK), and less important after the way he chooses to do something ect ect, so choose yourself how to make them better

sorry again for my English

Ciao.
Last edited by OnePiece Alb on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:07 am

Siginet wrote:
tomasz86 wrote:By the way, a small graphical glitch:

I haven't formatted text to fit when a user has bigger fonts on their computer.
Actually the fonts in XP are set to 100% DPI (the standard setting...). Moreover, the text is in fact shown correctly on my desktop (Win2k) where DPI is set to 110%. I don't think DPI is the problem here.

It is not disabled. But I don't have win2k to test on ATM.
There is no option to backup drivers when I run the program in Win2k:

OnePiece Alb

Post by OnePiece Alb » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:52 am

in Windows 2000 everything looks Ok (only this http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 842#126842 ) as it should be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmhUA4-zfP4

Ciao.

tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:11 am

Strange :o

OnePiece Alb

Post by OnePiece Alb » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:19 am

tomasz86 wrote:Strange :o
Perhaps must be a win2k modified (non-Normal or non-Official) and perhaps the program gets confused when it reads the data in registry or other to decide which system is working or what to do ect ect, perhaps believes in To be an WinNT 5.1+ (XP/2003 ect ect), need a Windows 200 SP4 (official, updated Full) clean, to make a (good\correct\regular) test

Ciao.

tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:42 am

Yeah, the system I've been using is pretty "worn out". I guess I'll need to do a reinstall in the near future.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:23 pm

bphlpt wrote:
Siginet wrote:DriverGrabber skips collecting Microsoft Drivers. Except for LAN Drivers. There isn't much of a need to backup microsoft drivers.
But this might be an appropriate option in some circumstances.

Cheers and Regards
If you wish to backup microsoft drivers all you need to do is open DriverGrabber.ini and comment out the "Microsoft" Keys in the "[Provider]" and "[DriverName]" sections.

By default DriverGrabber skips them. Except for LAN drivers.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:34 pm

Update:
v0.5.0.0:
Enhanced - Microsoft Office Outlook backup now backs up all pst files as well as email settings.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:48 pm

@Siginet

sorry buddy but this new version doesn't work any better for me.
as well running drivergrabber 2.0b9 is hell to go through with all
of the error prompts and non disappearing choice of drive then only grabs the nvidia video driver !!!

tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:56 am

@Siginet

After restoring my system from a backup image I can now backup drivers and all the other options are visible too.

I think that the problem with driver backup which I've had since your latest version of DriverGrabber is kind of similar with the one experienced by user_hidden. In my case also only one driver (ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY) is grabbed while others are skipped even though they are listed in the logfile.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:55 am

v0.5.0.2:
Fixed - Data Restore was not working properly. The MD5Hash checking code was messed up. All seems well with the world again. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:16 am

AWESOME! name you thought of, you should patent it

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:47 am

Siginet wrote:v0.5.0.2:
Fixed - Data Restore was not working properly. The MD5Hash checking code was messed up. All seems well with the world again. ;)

well at least 5.02 opens properly but after i choose what i want to backup
the same error happens again that i have to cycle through many "continue" for it to then have the same choice box for the location of what drive drivegrabber should process and that never goes away, unless i press the "X" then drivegrabber starts....BUT like previous betas drivegrabber only grabs my video driver and nothing else.

EDIT: running Gotcha without "drivers" selected everything is fine.
so my issue is still with the drivegrabber versions you are embedding in the exe.

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:36 pm

I took the liberty to replace the embedded drivegrabber with an older version that worked on my system and the end result was GOTCHA works perfectly....so again the issues are all based on the embedded Drivegrabber.exe (currently 2.0b9)

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:36 am

user_hidden wrote:I took the liberty to replace the embedded drivegrabber with an older version that worked on my system and the end result was GOTCHA works perfectly....so again the issues are all based on the embedded Drivegrabber.exe (currently 2.0b9)
That's good news. ;) Because I haven't updated DriverGrabber with the code I've used in Gotcha yet. So I'll be sure to do that soon.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:37 am

ricktendo64 wrote:AWESOME! name you thought of, you should patent it
Thanks buddy! I kinda liked the ring of it too. :)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:30 pm

Updated to 0.5.0.3.

Changed - I got rid of MD5Hash Checking. It was too slow. Now Gotcha checks file dates and only overwrites if the date does not match. This makes Gotcha super fast when dealing with files that already exist.

If you enjoy this software please give me a review @:
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Go ... 47855415/1

If you have any requests please reply to this thread. :)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:00 am

@Siginet

thanks for the new version.
all works well EXCEPT drivegrabber as usual !!!!
2.0 beta 10 still only grabs my display driver and nothing else.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:06 pm

user_hidden wrote:@Siginet

thanks for the new version.
all works well EXCEPT drivegrabber as usual !!!!
2.0 beta 10 still only grabs my display driver and nothing else.
Yeah I haven't worked on DriverGrabber latley. Sorry I haven't had time to dig into it. I'll look into updating it soon.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:40 pm

Siginet wrote:Yeah I haven't worked on DriverGrabber latley. Sorry I haven't had time to dig into it. I'll look into updating it soon.
no rush my friend ....