Welcome to Windows XP Service Pack 4

Forum to discuss Update Packs created by community members for the various Windows operating systems.
GH0st

Post by GH0st » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:23 am

harkaz wrote:@GH0st Start Windows Update from the Start Menu and select "Microsoft Update" at the top of the page. Follow the instructions to install Microsoft Update.
Yeah, ok, got that, was wondering if there was something else you were talking about.

I do have that installed and some updates came that way, but most came through normal update process (wuauclt)

Something is odd here for me, will work on it see what comes about

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:25 am

@GH0st
Probably you can manage W2K theme by editing the hivedef.inf text-mode file.

I will install Office 2003 as well to see what happens.

adric

Post by adric » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:38 am

harkaz wrote:@adric This is not supposed to happen. I created the PDF with the latest version of Adobe Acrobat and it works fine in the latest version of Adobe Reader.
I get this using PDF-XChange Viewer from Tracker Software. I tried SumatraPDF and that doesn't open the print dialogs, so PDF-XChange Viewer seems to have a problem with this pdf. At least I know it's not supposed to do this. Thanks ..

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:50 am

@GH0st wuauclt works for me.
Windows XP Unofficial SP4 (2014, 2016, and 2019): viewtopic.php?t=10321
Non-IT stuff:
Retinal changes in schizophrenia (2019): https://academic.oup.com/schizophreniab ... 06/5598443

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:12 am

GH0st wrote:Alot (most) of the removal options in nLite will not work correctly, cause of the changes made for the USP4. Most of the TWEAKS will NOT work either. So I recommend that you NOT use either tool (RVM/nLite) to remove or tweak as it wont work and may actually mess stuff up.
This is very disappointing. [ It doesn't affect me personally since I tend to remove nothing, but rather add all extras at the start so the system is ready to handle any app or open any file type I run across without needing to add yet another runtime or whatever. I just disable any service I don't need and only have apps running when I use them so the system stays tight and responsive. ] But for folks that do like to tweak or slim their system, I was hoping that they would still be able to use the good existing tools that have worked reliably for many years. It is possible that nuhi would be able to make the necessary modifications to nLite for it to be able to handle SP4 correctly if someone contacted him about it and harkaz and nuhi coordinated their efforts. But nuhi might not have the time or interest in doing so. With as much effort that harkaz has put in to make SP4 behave like all the "official" service packs, and doing so using only official MS files and not third party ones, I was hoping that nLite would have continued to work as it has in the past.

Cheers and Regards

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:19 am

@bphlpt I will test a slimmed-down build of SP4 to see what happens.

UPDATE: Indeed, removing specific components can cause severe errors during components installation. I recommend following a trial-and-error process here: Examine setupapi.log file that will give you more info...

Best option is not to remove anything unless you know what you're doing.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:49 am

harkaz wrote:@GH0st wuauclt works for me.
TY

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:05 am

This is my list of keep files and needed components that I use in my entries.ini to stop users/nlite from deleting certain files/components by mistake (look in nlite lang to see what component the number refers to)

Code: Select all

[general]
builddate=
description=
language=
title=
version=

;Este sección previene que Componentes necesarios sean removidos por nLite (v1.4.9 en adelante)
[NeededComponents]

; #                   Componente                         Dependencia      Inactivo
;181 ="Administrador Multimedia del Sistema"              |WMP11            (X)
;185 ="Núcleo de Internet Explorer"                       |IE8+MU
;187 ="Internet Explorer"                                 |IE8+MU
;209 ="Agente MS"                                         |SrchAsst         (X)
;211 ="Actualizaciones Automáticas"                       |IE8+MU
;239 ="Coordinador de Transacciones Distribuidas ('DTC')" |MU
;241 ="Transf. Inteligente en Segundo Plano ('BITS')"     |MU
;273 ="Servicios de Terminal"                             |WDS
;281 ="Asistente de Búsqueda"                             |WDS              (X)
;319 ="Reproductor de Windows Media 6.4"                  |WMP11
;321 ="Reproductor de Windows Media"                      |WMP11
;534 ="Sistema de Notificación de Eventos ('SENS')"       |IE8+MU
;830 ="Aprovisionamiento de Red"                          |TermService
;849 ="Herramienta de Diagnostico de DirectX"             |DirectX
;934 ="'MSMail y MAPI'"                                   |WDS
;938 ="Notificaciones de Inicio de Sesión"                |IE8
;949 ="Codecs de Núcleo Acm"                              |WMP11
;1411="Soporte de Scripting para Visual Basic"            |IE8
;1631="DirectX"                                           |DirectX

;Proteje archivos necesarios de eliminación por nLite (v1.4.9 en adelante)
[KeepFiles]
dsksrch.chm,mymusic.inf,plylst1.wpl,plylst2.wpl,plylst3.wpl,plylst4.wpl,plylst5.wpl,plylst6.wpl,plylst7.wpl,plylst8.wpl,plylst9.wpl,plylst10.wpl,plylst11.wpl,plylst12.wpl,plylst13.wpl,plylst14.wpl,plylst15.wpl,syncpl01.wpl,syncpl02.wpl,syncpl03.wpl,syncpl04.wpl,syncpl05.wpl,syncpl06.wpl,syncpl07.wpl,syncpl08.wpl,syncpl09.wpl,syncpl10.wpl,syncpl11.wpl,syncpl12.wpl,unidrv.dll,unidrv.hlp,unidrvui.dll,unires.dll,xpblkpop.wav,xpinfbar.wav,xpstart.wav
Create a simple entries.ini and add the above, integrate it at the same tieme you are removing components with nLite see if you get any errors
Last edited by ricktendo64 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:05 am

I suppose another approach would be to integrate SP3 to your source, apply nLite to that to slim, (you'd probably have to install at that point), then apply SP4 to that. But at best it would take longer that way and be a bit inefficient and might leave unnecessary files behind, and at worst would simply create other different problems to have to deal with later. I think GH0st ran into some of these types of issues in his earlier installation attempts.

The best "holy grail" solution will always be one that allows everything to be done to an offline image which could then be reliably installed to any system cleanly, quickly, and without errors. I hope cooperative efforts will continue in this quest as long as XP remains as popular as it is.

Rick's solution of finding the necessary keep files and needed components to leave alone is yet another solution, and probably the best one for now.

Cheers and Regards
Last edited by bphlpt on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:07 am

bphlpt wrote:This is very disappointing. [ It doesn't affect me personally since I tend to remove nothing, but rather ...

Yeah, I hear ya!

Years ago, I used to trim as much out of XP as I could. It seemed it was a contest to see how light you could make it, how small the ISO was when done. This in turn would have errors show up, then you would have to search for OCX/dll's on web and how to install and register them ... fun to do this, but as you get older, lazier, you find out its best to actually have it all THERE, but de-activated! Tweaked to run light and smooth.

So I have started to NOT remove componants ... which is why I have no issue with currently NOT taking anything out.

Windows updates were weird, even when I choose to NOT install Outlook exspress with Office 2003, it still offers me all the OE updates, which FAIL to install, cause none of the componants are there to begin with. So in the end, its best to just INSTALL the entire office suite, with all the extras, let updates give you all the update, tighten all the holes. I suspect this is the best way with USP4, just let it install like it wants too, update it all, then tweak for the desired lightness.

What I am currently running, fresh install, tweaked AFTER first boot, feels BETTER then any past nLite version I have ever made.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Side Note: There is no way nuhi would ever put all the time needed for his tool to be fully compatible with removal and ect, with USP4. That just to much to ask!!

So, User_Hidden still makes his AWESOME pack, those needing/wanting to do the light version, the way we have done it for years now, can use the old way XP sp0 -->slipstreamed to sp3 --> slipstream post-sp3 packs, then use nLite to tweak and lighten. Still works fine

I dont know for sure, but, suspect that this extra speed, tightness I am feeling is cause of the "XP_FIXIT" additions from Stefan Kanthak. Along with his extra security settings, really has made a differance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That said, if User_hidden would stop updating the older pack (not the POS), take flash and stuff out of it. Just all the updates through April 2014, then the one update in May 2014. Lock this in, then figure out how to get the XP_FIXIT to work in his pack. This should offer the same security, tightness, ect ect ect .... but this is just speculation.

Once your have booted to desktop, then tweak to recieve POS updates through MS.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:14 am

bphlpt wrote:I suppose another approach would be to integrate SP3 to your source, apply nLite to that to slim, (you'd probably have to install at that point), then apply SP4 to that. But at best it would take longer that way and be a bit inefficient and might leave unnecessary files behind, and at worst would simply create other different problems to have to deal with later. I think GH0st ran into some of these types of issues in his earlier installation attempts.
I did try this in the begining!!!!!

I did a SP0 to SP3, nLited (mild slimming, tweaking, drivers) did fresh install, one first boot to desktop I took USP4 and installed it to LIVE windows. it did work, worked fine, but ALOT of the TWEAKED settings were reverted back to default, thus loosing the benefit of nLite'ing to begin with!!

Thus my current recommendations, it to just SP0 -->slipstreamed to USP4, nLite to install AHCI and mobo drivers, mild unattend options used prior to making ISO. Then tweak from with in the OS. This would be fastest!!! more efficient!!! Less headache trying to figure the magic combonations

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:48 am

No argument from me about your approach. :) But forgetting about removals, since neither of us do them anymore, if Rick's approach would allow you to TWEAK your offline image successfully, that might save you some time, allow the existing version of nLite to remain useful for more than just installing drivers, not impose any requirements for nuhi to get involved, and avoid the default user problems you mentioned above. Just a thought, and I realize it still might not work reliably. Tweaking your installed OS from within the OS will always be reliable, it just takes longer and requires you to have to remember one more set of stuff to do each time you install your OS.

Cheers and Regards

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:15 am

I'd like to bring up another point about removing SP4 components.

This would also create security issues because of the security enhancements included: These entries can become a security threat if the files they refer to do not exist. I have taken care of N editions of Windows but not for distros with extra components removed.

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:19 am

@GH0st There a couple of reasons why SP4 feels faster. And it's not primarily the security enhancements because you turn them off (remove the sp4sec line from sysoc.inf) and still get high performance.

I suspect that performance improvements come from other changes:

- ESENT Catalog DB has minimal size. (I can help anyone interested with this)
- explorer.exe and some other files of version 5.1.2600.5669 are used. This version can be found in POSReady 2009 only.

There might be other changes responsible for the performance boost as well.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:32 am

bphlpt wrote:No argument from me about your approach .......... Tweaking your installed OS from within the OS will always be reliable, it just takes longer and requires you to have to remember one more set of stuff to do each time you install your OS.
Yup, that where its at right now. Once I figure out why I cant get office updates, figure out what I have done to mess with this process, then I will see if I can get the W2K aspects added in the file noted, try another install. Cause that is my most favorite part of nLite, that use of the more CLASSIC SHELL, super light, super tight.

Next install, I am just going to allow the .NET 2.0 which is imbedded with .NET 3.0 (called .NET 3.5 in the GUI) to install by default, then add the .NET 4.0, then leave it alone

Makes my Velociraptor (WD2500HHTZ) run at 185-187mbs as read from "AS SSD Benchmark". Yes, this feels awesome on a Intel mobo, with intel chipset, with intel nic, intel CPU and WHQL'ed Intel drivers, all installed prior to first boot desktop. (makes me as happy as a fatboy at a PizzaHut all you can eat buffet)

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:39 am

harkaz wrote:@GH0st There a couple of reasons why SP4 feels faster. And it's not primarily the security enhancements because you turn them off (remove the sp4sec line from sysoc.inf) and still get high performance.

I suspect that performance improvements come from other changes:

- ESENT Catalog DB has minimal size. (I can help anyone interested with this)
- explorer.exe and some other files of version 5.1.2600.5669 are used. This version can be found in POSReady 2009 only.

There might be other changes responsible for the performance boost as well.
I hear ya!! THanks for all your hard work!

I have decided that some of my Meedeling around may have caused an issue or so ... So going to do another ISO, with no real alterations, mild tweaks.

Will see if I can add the stuff you said I could by editing that one file, I will attempt make that work, should be easy. Then just keep all the NET packs installed the way you have it set up. Better to have 2+3+4, all installed correctly, updated and hope this offers a level of security to protect me, where a bad install could actually leave a door open, while I try to minimize stuff I dont realy need to minimize!

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:44 pm

@harkaz: With regards to SECURITY of current version. Would you consider evaluating a tool that I use, tell me if its still beneficial or has your USP4 taken care it issues it addresses? Is this still an effective tool to use?!?!

Seconfig XP

I been using it for years, love it! May be outdated with USP4

Anthony21

Post by Anthony21 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:40 pm

GH0st wrote:@harkaz: With regards to SECURITY of current version. Would you consider evaluating a tool that I use, tell me if its still beneficial or has your USP4 taken care it issues it addresses? Is this still an effective tool to use?!?!

Seconfig XP

I been using it for years, love it! May be outdated with USP4

Does look very useful for SP4.

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:56 pm

Yes, indeed it's a cool security enhancement.
Non-IT stuff:
Retinal changes in schizophrenia (2019): https://academic.oup.com/schizophreniab ... 06/5598443

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:19 pm

A must-have for security analysis is Process Monitor from Sysinternals. It monitors fiile, registry and network activity for all processes. With a glance you can assess if an executable is malicious or not.

In other cases you will understand why a process slows down your system.

For example, svchost.exe is a CPU hog many times and procmon helps me find out why.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:35 pm

harkaz wrote:Yes, indeed it's a cool security enhancement.
Yes, I love "Seconfig XP" for many many years, with noting but success. That along with my Security registry settings posted before, are a vast improvement on system security ... now add that too what you have accomplished here with USP4, I believe makes us very safe, with an old ass OS!

Thank you for validating it to be used with your service pack

Anthony21

Post by Anthony21 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:16 pm

So we should see this in the next final build, cool!

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:24 pm

@Anthony21 I will not add these tweaks in SP4 Final. If there are no problems with this build, I believe it's better leaving it as is and let anyone make their modifications.
Last edited by harkaz on Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:29 pm

In order to build the post-sp4 update pack I use Onepiece's and 5eraph's addons. There are a few tweaks I make on my own, most of the post-sp4 update pack is based on these addons.

I will repeat this build process whenever I have enough free time.

UPDATE: This update pack will not support XP Starter Edition.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:35 pm

OK, Im getting ready to make another ISO as we speak, this time Im going to LESS ... possible nothing with regards to componant removal and tweaks and such. Someone has proven themselves to me, and thus I must DON a new motto when working with USP4

New Motto: harkaz ... is smarter then me!!!

Thus he has already figured out the best way to do this and the USP4v2 already does it. So I move forward, to make another ISO, with nothing removed, no real tweaks, just install AHCI + plus Intel INF (which I have already proven to work fine thru nLite on SP4)

also will take nap .... so will see ya tomorrow morning

Anthony21

Post by Anthony21 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:03 am

I was mostly sarcasm when i was on break @work, be cool but ok.

iakoboss7

Post by iakoboss7 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:24 am

gh0st what AHCI and intel inf are you installing? (a link prolly?) i am thinking of doing the same as you. i a looking at this mass storage one: http://driverpacks.net/driverpacks/latest (using the base pack to "install" it) but i wanna see your way also :)

also try integrating the sp4 on your xp sp0 from inside a win xp installation with the command! its supposed to be the best way to do it! (i did mine this way also). harkaz has a how to video ;) (you extract both the win xp and the sp4 and then you integrate them with the command, its in the video).

PJAmerica

Post by PJAmerica » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:58 am

So, I am wondering if it's okay to just install WindowsXP-USP4-NOPOS-x86-ENU.exe onto a clean SP3 installed source without any issues or having to do anything additional?

I am no comfortable with the POSReady updates at all. Any advice?

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:56 am

@PJAmerica Yes, you can install/slipstream the NOPOS installer without problems. It's actually the same as WindowsXP-USP4-x86-ENU without the POSReady registry entry.

Anthony21

Post by Anthony21 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:58 pm

wish i could test out the ACHI mode on my kickass pc but each time i try it, i run into an error, hate going to my UEFI mode n changn it to IDE to get it workn. More pain in the ass than it should be. (not my dell pc)

and its not sp4's fault either.

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:25 pm

I will upload the out-of-band/emergency kerberos patch very soon.

UPDATE: Download is now available.

The relevant file is WindowsXP-PostSP4-KB3011780.exe

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:57 pm

Apply this patch IMMEDIATELY if you're on a domain. http://threatpost.com/microsoft-to-rele ... tch/109433

If an attacker has successfully exploited this security flaw to get admin credentials they won't be affected even after installing this update.
Non-IT stuff:

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:50 pm

PJAmerica wrote:So, I am wondering if it's okay to just install WindowsXP-USP4-NOPOS-x86-ENU.exe onto a clean SP3 installed source without any issues or having to do anything additional?

Yes you can use the NON-pos version, and slipstream it into your media verion (sp0,sp1,sp2,sp3), then make a new ISO, burn that ISO to disk or thumbdrive (using "Rufus"), do a reformat and reinstall!

Side Note: The POS is just MS's way of still servicing this POPULAR operating system, they just make it sound funny, so people are less inclinded to use it, thus have to $BUY$ a new OS, which is what its all about (for them)
Last edited by GH0st on Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:04 pm

iakoboss7 wrote:gh0st what AHCI and intel inf are you installing? (a link prolly?) i am thinking of doing the same as you. i a looking at this mass storage one: http://driverpacks.net/driverpacks/latest (using the base pack to "install" it) but i wanna see your way also :)

also try integrating the sp4 on your xp sp0 from inside a win xp installation with the command! its supposed to be the best way to do it! (i did mine this way also). harkaz has a how to video ;) (you extract both the win xp and the sp4 and then you integrate them with the command, its in the video).
Ok, forget about trying to do the whole slipstreaming by command .... there are TOOLS (nLite.RVMintegrator) that do it for you. You do not have to use all the other option in these two tools, and I **RECOMMEND** that you dont use all the other options (tweaks and shit). Just use nLite, to slipstream USP4v2, into you version of XP, then add the DRIVERS (if you want) and use the Unattend options prior to making a ISO, which you then burn to DVDRW or USB drive using RUFUS tool. It really cant get any more easier ... I **RECOMMEND** that you not try to blaze your own path, cause this path described above works 100%! Once again its TOO EASY!

I will post again on my current install, just did another fresh install ... I will talk about it, and link to the TOOLS I use, AHCI drivers, Intel Drivers, ect ect

Driver packs used to be good, they have not updated the XP since 2012, so its not long proper to us! Not to mention it will mess with USP4, so best to NOT use it. nLite you can slipstream the AHCI drivers and Intels INF into the OS, so on first boot, all motherboard drivers are installed. Then all I have to do is install Video driver (nVidia 320.49), Sound drivers (Realtek 2.75), Nic drivers (Intel 18.3) ... all WHQL'ed certified and super solid! (makes me happy)

Will post more later

@harkaz: I did this one your way, one word describes it ..."Perfection"! Thanks BRO!!

spider

Post by spider » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:16 pm

I thought POS was for Point Of Sale systems ie cash registers etc

@Hazkaz Can you please tell me if i should still use these or if they have been implemented (I assume most haven't, I will be doing my first build this weekend so will figure it out eventually. )

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2274

Currently i use these:
PatchAddon_HIVESYS-1920x1200
PatchAddon_SFC_OS_v14
PatchAddon_SYSSETUP_InfSkip_v14
PatchAddon_TCPIP_250_v14d
PatchAddon_XPRAID5_v14

Service descriptions:
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2325

Stop SCSI Drivers from loading:
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... sc&start=0

Enable Hibernate Reg tweak:
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... t=kb893056

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:51 pm

All of them except for the tcpip patch should be applicable.

The tcpip.sys version in SP4 is higher than the latest version supported by the patch addon you mention. You have to port the patch to the latest version (5.1.2600.6009)
Non-IT stuff:

dencorso

Post by dencorso » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:05 pm

Then again, the good old Lvllord patcher is able to correctly patch tcpip.sys v. 5.1.2600.6643, all right! :)

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:33 am

dencorso wrote:Then again, the good old Lvllord patcher is able to correctly patch tcpip.sys v. 5.1.2600.6643, all right! :)
Yeah, Lvllord patcher worked on mine today, patched to 512

PJAmerica

Post by PJAmerica » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:04 am

GH0st wrote:
PJAmerica wrote:So, I am wondering if it's okay to just install WindowsXP-USP4-NOPOS-x86-ENU.exe onto a clean SP3 installed source without any issues or having to do anything additional?

Yes you can use the NON-pos version, and slipstream it into your media verion (sp0,sp1,sp2,sp3), then make a new ISO, burn that ISO to disk or thumbdrive (using "Rufus"), do a reformat and reinstall!

Side Note: The POS is just MS's way of still servicing this POPULAR operating system, they just make it sound funny, so people are less inclinded to use it, thus have to $BUY$ a new OS, which is what its all about (for them)
I should have mentioned that this will be a Live Install only.

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:38 am

That should still not be a problem.

FWIW, I have not heard about anyone having any problems that were attributable to the POSReady updates. But you can always add those later if you decide to.

Cheers and Regards

PJAmerica

Post by PJAmerica » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:20 am

bphlpt wrote:That should still not be a problem.

FWIW, I have not heard about anyone having any problems that were attributable to the POSReady updates. But you can always add those later if you decide to.

Cheers and Regards
I have done just that and I get black screens etc and the PC lags. when I do not apply the POSReady updates all is fine. Hence me not using it. It's not going to be online anyways so I don't need to be concerned about it being updated with the Post EOL updates.

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:30 am

spider wrote:I thought POS was for Point Of Sale systems ie cash registers etc
well, "yes and NO"

by using the POS updates, we are using the same updates used by the British Government, the Dutch Government, the US Internal Revenue Service, the US Department of Defense, the list increases every day

several government agencies across the globe don't want Win XP to die
there's a reason for that, even by Microsoft's OWN ADMISSION, Win XP is less vulnerable to security risks than the "newer" OS's are

Anthony21

Post by Anthony21 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:05 am

long-lurker wrote:
spider wrote:I thought POS was for Point Of Sale systems ie cash registers etc
Win XP is less vulnerable to security risks than the "newer" OS's are
True there, they've should've dropped vista, was so posed to be the best upgrade for XP but we all know what happen there, even today there's like 2.5% still uses it, I've never used except 1 time to test it out on a vmware but got rid of it.

people now a days needs a BASIC Windows (95-XP), Modern Windows (7), and Advance Windows (8, 10)

PJAmerica

Post by PJAmerica » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:30 pm

Apparently if I want to use SP4 as I desire I have to do steps 4 & 5. That is a deal breaker right there for me. Let me know how everyone gets along though. I will wait I think.

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:10 pm

What steps 4 & 5 are you referring to? And how do you desire to use SP4 that you are unable to? And I'm not denying that you are having problems with the POSReady updates, but you are the only person I have heard that is having that much of a problem with them. I'm missing something, but good luck getting your problems resolved.

Cheers and Regards

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:13 pm

PJAmerica wrote:I should have mentioned that this will be a Live Install only.
My first install was on a live install! I had installed WinXP Pro (SP3), once at desktop, I put the USP4 on it an double clicked, all worked out fine!

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:21 pm

long-lurker wrote:British Government, the Dutch Government, the US Internal Revenue Service, the US Department of Defense, the list increases every day ... several government agencies across the globe don't want Win XP to die there's a reason for that, even by Microsoft's OWN ADMISSION, Win XP is less vulnerable to security risks than the "newer" OS's are
That is exactly right!

In thruth, the only thing 8/8.1 has, is built in spy stuff, the entire OS and the Hardware (CPU) built to support it, is so the AlphabetSoup Gangs can gain total access to you. It also indexs data, so they can quickly buzz thru the indexs ... all using hardware in the cpu, desquised as "Digital Rights" hardware. They dont have to HACK your rigs, the doors were built in, the hardware can be fully activated and you will never see a rise in CPU utilization cause its actually ANOTHER CORE that does their compiling of stuff. With everyboot, the OS "Phones Home" to 22 differant US Intelligence communities. They know when you booted, what you IP is, and blah blah blah.

They want to kill XP cause they actually have to HACK it, to get in!!! and this requirs Probable Cause, search warrants, ect ect ect

PJAmerica

Post by PJAmerica » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:56 pm

bphlpt wrote:What steps 4 & 5 are you referring to? And how do you desire to use SP4 that you are unable to? And I'm not denying that you are having problems with the POSReady updates, but you are the only person I have heard that is having that much of a problem with them. I'm missing something, but good luck getting your problems resolved.

Cheers and Regards
Read the first page of this thread. I really don't want to have to mess with anything. Simply install and be on my way. As for issues. They are nothing major but simply stated in my prior post and it's enough that I won't use it with the POS hack and updates. I wanted to use the NOPOS version but if I don't do step 4-5 which is over my head completely and deemed too much for me to bother.

Mind you. This is a great service for those who need it. It just turned out to be more than I bargained for.

spoof

integrate tablet pc components

Post by spoof » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:31 am

How to integrate tablet pc components to xp pro using sp4 ?? Thanks a lot

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:41 am

PJAmerica wrote:
bphlpt wrote:What steps 4 & 5 are you referring to?
Read the first page of this thread.
I did. :) The 4 and 5 mentioned in the first post, and the other numbered items, are side notes and not steps. But do you mean that you want to use .NET 4.0? Then yes, those "steps" are recommended, but not absolutely required if you just want to see if SP4 will work for you otherwise, at least the way I understand it. If that is the situation, then I'm sure that someone can explain the procedure for you in a way that you can understand it. We are here to help, if we knew what you needed.

Cheers and Regards