Welcome to Windows XP Service Pack 4

Forum to discuss Update Packs created by community members for the various Windows operating systems.
poolside

Post by poolside » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:23 pm

GH0st wrote:
poolside wrote:I suppose there's no use in hoping for an x64 USP3?
I am amazed that Harkaz has put so much time into this project for us all as it is, I can't imagine he would want to take on another project!
It's not as if I had anyone specific in mind to do such a thing. I'd be completely satisfied with an all-in-one-type post-sp2 update pack. I can't help but think how fast, stable and secure such a system would be.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:27 pm

poolside wrote:It's not as if I had anyone specific in mind to do such a thing. I'd be completely satisfied with an all-in-one-type post-sp2 update pack. I can't help but think how fast, stable and secure such a system would be.
agreed! Im sure a fresh install with a update pack that give you all the stuff, like "user_hidden" does for XP, would be awesome! I love user_hidden's pack, been using it for years, but USP4-v2 beats it now!

poolside

Post by poolside » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:39 pm

GH0st wrote:agreed! Im sure a fresh install with a update pack that give you all the stuff, like "user_hidden" does for XP, would be awesome! I love user_hidden's pack, been using it for years, but USP4-v2 beats it now!
Well, there is actually something like user_hidden's pack. 5eraph provides an XP x64 post-SP2 Update Pack, and an IE8 addon is also provided, and there's also a WMP11 slipstreamer, nothing close to the scope of OnePiece's AIO or USP4, however.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:13 am

Question: This may not be a problem of SP4, but it has surfaced!

When I move mouse to an file extension it does not yet know, it causes an error message to appear, that also crashes the explorer. When I was installing uTorrent, it makes ".old" files, I cant touch them with mouse, or crashes the explorer.

This was also true for extensions like .mp4, at least untill I installed my Media Player Classic and FFDshow.

Anyone else had this prob? found the fix?

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:11 pm

First of all, Happy new year to everybody!

Windows XP x64 SP3 will not be created by me. I want to move on to other projects in the future.

@GH0st The file extension issue has already been reported but it can't be reproduced in a VM or real hardware. Probably there's somethiing special with your configuration that conflicts with the updated shell.

I haven't found what causes the Wowexec issue (16-bit emulation failing for Win3.1 apps, not DOS) in all clean installations yet. The other WineHQ issues must be regression issues - it seems there's nothing I can do about them.
Windows XP Unofficial SP4 (2014, 2016, and 2019): viewtopic.php?t=10321
Non-IT stuff:
Retinal changes in schizophrenia (2019): https://academic.oup.com/schizophreniab ... 06/5598443

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:25 pm

Thanks for the response, I will continue to find a cure and will share what I find!

GH0st

extension / shell crash

Post by GH0st » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:47 pm

Nvidia desktop context integration

Hmmm, my problem went away about the same time I turned this option off in my nVidia control panel!!!

Edit: To add, that I tested it with nV contect menu option on and off, no change, same same

GH0st

DxDiag Notes

Post by GH0st » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:04 am

Network Tab: The registry information for the service provider 'DirectPlay8 Modem Service Provider' is missing or damaged. You should reinstall DirectX.

The registry information for the service provider 'DirectPlay8 Serial Service Provider' is missing or damaged. You should reinstall DirectX.

The registry information for the service provider 'DirectPlay8 IPX Service Provider' is missing or damaged. You should reinstall DirectX.

The registry information for the service provider 'DirectPlay8 TCP/IP Service Provider' is missing or damaged. You should reinstall DirectX. You should reinstall DirectX to get the latest version.

Edit to add: Emailed screen shots to Harkaz

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:19 am

@GH0st This is also true for the SP3 live installer I think. I had tried to fix those warnings but it prevented specific media files from playing (ie the 'Like Humans Do' song from pre-SP2 installations). So I've decided not to change anything in the live installer. Hope you fixed the other issues you've been facing.

Wowexec abnormal behaviour must be related to a faulty registration. Still working on that... The fix, when perfected, should be available in a Final SP4 release.
Since every other reported issue is related to regression issues (requiring changes in the binaries themselves and/or third party apps) I think there will be no need for other releases after that one.

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:48 am

harkaz wrote:Since every other reported issue is related to regression issues (requiring changes in the binaries themselves and/or third party apps)...
When the final release occurs, maybe you could also list all of these other remaining "non-fixable by SP4" issues, along with the third party apps or any other means of dealing with them, if known. If nothing else that might help head off anyone else from bringing them up again. Just a thought.

Cheers and Regards

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:38 am

Thanks Harkaz, I have not had any real issue with the Dx problems, as they are just listed in the Dx Diagnostic tool. I dont seem to have a real world issue at all with them. My games and even Media Player Classic - Home Cinema Edition, all use Dx9. So guess it doesnt matter, to leave it like it is.

The issue with explorer crashing with unknown file extensions, is just a nuisance. Odd that I have not yet found a fix though!

The 6 or so BLUE SCREEN crashes, did only occur in the full slipstream install of SP4. Not the SP3 install, then live install to SP4. The error message makes it look like its a Memory Error for sure, but, I have not had any memory issues with prior installs, passes all benchmarks, ect ect ect. I have no bad memory on this computer.

I am sorry to say, this issue did cause me to do another format, going back to the old way of doing things. SP0, slipstreamed to official SP3, then user_hidden's two update packs. Things are back to normal.

Not sure how much a REAL SECURITY benefit the Stefan's registry updates actual have, but the instability caused on my all Intel rig, was to much for me. (Intel mobo, Intel chipset, Intel Nic, Intel CPU, all WQHL'ed drivers) This is a receipe for stability!

Shame Stefans doesn't make a tool that could add his stuff to a live install (once again, if it actually matters in a real world setting - behind router, quality Av)

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:14 pm

Clean install issues might be due to other reasons than Stefan's security enhancements. Probably I'll use the "normal" IE instrallation method if this solves the issues. If I do so, Windows Upgrade installs from Win2k/NT will not be possible will be problematic using an SP4 disk. But I don't think this is a big problem.

@bphlpt I'll create such a list.

Outbreaker

Post by Outbreaker » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:00 pm

HI, harkaz
A little request could you do batch script that would automatically modify this 8 files to make a "Extend 4GB RAM limit" patch? Like this we could use this patch also if you are retired and Microsoft releases a HotFix that is replacing one of this patched files. ;-)

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:12 pm

@Outbreaker The problem is that even if I create a batch file that patches the files, you'll still need to sign them. Hopefully the instructions on how to create your own CA and certificate are not too complicated.
Non-IT stuff:
Retinal changes in schizophrenia (2019): https://academic.oup.com/schizophreniab ... 06/5598443

Outbreaker

Post by Outbreaker » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:24 pm

I'm able now to make signed files on Windows with the help of your tutorial and some help from ricktendo64. :mrgreen:
If possible then i think an RVM Integrator Addon would be a lot better then a batch file, like this Addons here:
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2274

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:26 pm

harkaz wrote:Clean install issues might be due to other reasons than Stefan's security enhancements.
I'm not saying its Stephans security at all, matter fact, I am unable to diagnose the issue at all, as there is no way I can link it to anything, other then RAM, which has no such issue with other install methods. So I dont think its RAM.

Was wondering if there was a Stephans security tool, that could be used on a live install, that didnt include his tweaks during ISO creation

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:20 pm

@Outbreaker I've added your request to my checklist. :)

@GH0st Stefan does not make such a tool, unfortunately. Moreover he has created his enhancements for German only.

My schedule is so tight that I don't have enough time to restore the original IE installation method and test it - struggling for free time.
Non-IT stuff:

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:04 pm

It can wait! Thanks for your awesome effort!!

no1uknow

Post by no1uknow » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:55 pm

I appreciate the time and effort you have put into this project. For now I am running a live install of WinXP USP4 and it seems to be working fine.

Outbreaker

Post by Outbreaker » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:00 am

@harkaz
What is the RAM limit when we use the "Extend 4GB RAM limit" Patch?

And according to this infos blow should not be 2 kernels be patched and all hal files also?:

http://www.geoffchappell.com/notes/wind ... memory.htm
NTOSKRNL.EXE, single-processor, without PAE
NTKRNLMP.EXE: multi-processor, without PAE
NTKRNLPA.EXE: single-processor, with PAE
NTKRPAMP.EXE: multi-processor, with PAE
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283
Hal.dll: Standard PC, Non-ACPI PIC HAL.
Halacpi.dll: Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC, ACPI PIC HAL.
Halapic.dll: MPS Uniprocessor PC, Non-ACPI APIC UP HAL.
Halmps.dll: MPS Multiprocessor PC, Non-ACPI APIC MP HAL.
Halaacpi.dll: ACPI Uniprocessor PC, ACPI APIC UP HAL.
Halmacpi.dll: ACPI Multiprocessor PC, ACPI APIC MP HAL.
Another example Patch:
http://iknowu.duckdns.org/files/public/ ... _Limit.htm
Last edited by Outbreaker on Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:18 am

64 GB I think. I've read this Geoff Chapels' article before.

The following files are changed in my patch:

Patched 5.1 files
halmacpi.dll
ntkrpamp.exe

5.2 files:
usbccgp.sys
usbd.sys
usbehci.sys
usbohci.sys
usbuhci.sys
usbport.sys

WARNING: This patch should be used only if your system has more than 4 GB RAM installed!

Outbreaker

Post by Outbreaker » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:52 am

But should the file "NTKRNLPA.EXE" including all the "hal" files not also be patched?

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:59 am

Yes, NTKRNLPA.EXE should be patched if you need support for single-core CPUs. (NOTE: Intel Pentium 4 with HT ENABLED counts as 2 cores!)

It's not necessary to patch every HAL though, you must patch only the one(s) that will be selected during Windows Setup. (Of course, if you patch everything you cover all possible scenarios- including any sysprep attempts).

Outbreaker

Post by Outbreaker » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:25 am

Could you add this patched files too? or posting on how to patch this. Would be nice to have a perfect PAE Patch for Windows XP. :)

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:34 am

@Outbreaker Unfortunately, there is no simple way to create a perfect PAE patch for XP. Geoff Chappel has explained this in his article. However, because we're deploying it on 4 GB+ RAM only we can use Chappel's patch as a prototype for any new patches. I'll post on how to patch every file soon.

Stormit

Post by Stormit » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:41 pm

:D First Hello everyone, I'm New Here, but have watched for a long time. Thank all here for there efforts, it has been a great help to me.

This is my question.

I injected sp4 into a sp0-xp and ran it in vituralbox. The only thing was that bothered me was that windows firewall was loaded with exceptions. just wondering why.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:25 am

my guess is, that the tighter security with in, makes it so you have to have those additional things in the FW, for them to work. Clearly if you dont use them, you can UNCHECK!

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:00 am

GH0st wrote:Question: This may not be a problem of SP4, but it has surfaced!

When I move mouse to an file extension it does not yet know, it causes an error message to appear, that also crashes the explorer. When I was installing uTorrent, it makes ".old" files, I cant touch them with mouse, or crashes the explorer.

This was also true for extensions like .mp4, at least untill I installed my Media Player Classic and FFDshow.
harkaz wrote:@GH0st The file extension issue has already been reported but it can't be reproduced in a VM or real hardware. Probably there's somethiing special with your configuration that conflicts with the updated shell.
harkaz wrote:My schedule is so tight that I don't have enough time to restore the original IE installation method and test it - struggling for free time.
I may have found a solution. Was trying out Simple System Tweaker, like and use every option present. One caught my eye ... General Tweaks section, 3rd from bottom.
All items Have an "Edit with Notepad" on Right-click Menu"
This edits the (HCR\*\shell\open) and (HCR\*\shell\open\command), making all files open with notepad by default.

Since ALL files would now be associated with notepad, might keep the SHELL from crashing!?!? As other software is install, like Media player, it would then associate itself with the files it uses. Everything else goes to notepad.

I can NOT test this at this time, Cause I am not with SP4 installed at this time. Can someone else who is having this issue, test. If it does work, maybe Harkaz can simple update his next version with this tactic, rather then totally reworking how he installs I.E. or what ever is causing this issue.

Stormit

Win XP SP4

Post by Stormit » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:07 am

Thank You Ghost for your reply, I will just wait to see what is next. I may be some time since Harkaz is busy. :wink:

PTCruiserGT

Post by PTCruiserGT » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:13 pm

I discovered what was caused explorer.exe to crash on my system. I applied the unofficial shell32.dll patch from winhlp (http://winhlp.com/node/16) to fix the bug with missing systray icons. The patch does not appear to be compatible with shell32.dll 6.0.2900.6242 from this update pack.

User dencorso created a newer shell32.dll patch, but the qshare download link is no longer working.
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 810#133810

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:47 pm

GH0st wrote:
GH0st wrote:Question: This may not be a problem of SP4, but it has surfaced!

harkaz wrote:@GH0st The file extension issue has already been reported but it can't be reproduced in a VM or real hardware. Probably there's somethiing special with your configuration that conflicts with the updated shell.
harkaz wrote:My schedule is so tight that I don't have enough time to restore the original IE installation method and test it - struggling for free time.
I may have found a solution. Was trying out Simple System Tweaker, like and use every option present. One caught my eye ... General Tweaks section, 3rd from bottom.
All items Have an "Edit with Notepad" on Right-click Menu"
This edits the (HCR\*\shell\open) and (HCR\*\shell\open\command), making all files open with notepad by default.

Since ALL files would now be associated with notepad, might keep the SHELL from crashing!?!? As other software is install, like Media player, it would then associate itself with the files it uses. Everything else goes to notepad.

I can NOT test this at this time, Cause I am not with SP4 installed at this time. Can someone else who is having this issue, test. If it does work, maybe Harkaz can simple update his next version with this tactic, rather then totally reworking how he installs I.E. or what ever is causing this issue.
I just did another fresh install ... being observant on this issue. Come to find out, that upon doing the fresh install, this problem was no present at first, but came up later, as I was installing programs and such. So not sure what the real cause is, but, the fix I noted was the cure! Simple System Tweaker v2.2.0 has the option to "Edit With Notepad" on right click. Its not really a tweak but an enhancement. Makes it so everything open with notepad by default. Once new programs get installed they can claim extensions used by them. So I think it would be proper for Harkaz to consider editing his next version to add this tweak to be default.

EDIT: To add, that it didnt completely fix this issue, still got some problems with certain things, which crashes the explorer
Last edited by GH0st on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:47 pm

PTCruiserGT wrote:I discovered what was caused explorer.exe to crash on my system. I applied the unofficial shell32.dll patch from winhlp (http://winhlp.com/node/16) to fix the bug with missing systray icons. The patch does not appear to be compatible with shell32.dll 6.0.2900.6242 from this update pack.

User dencorso created a newer shell32.dll patch, but the qshare download link is no longer working.
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 810#133810
I have played with this tool before, but with out the benefit.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:53 pm

Would also like Harkaz to consider changing the Administrator account name. By changing the name prior to the admin account being made, the folder will be renamed, making it safer from script kiddies. This is an option in nLite, which does work on my last two installs.

"Admin"
"Sp4Admin"
"AdminSp4"

darkrats

Post by darkrats » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:14 am

Hi harkaz.
Just stopped by to see if you would be posting the (ported to XP) February Security Update for IE8.

Currently gathering together the hardware for a new Windows XP system.
Managed to find a new motherboard with XP drivers and got the last of the Gen3 Intel CPUs from newegg, and just ordered the case.
Got to keep my favourite OS going as long as I can. Might get another 5 or so years out of this build.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:02 am

My opinion is, that the best hardware to get, for an XP system, is Sandy Bridge and P6 chipset motherboards. Ivy will do pretty good, but Sandy is better. Lots of extra spy crap in Ivy Bridge.

I would love to find a good deal on an Intel mobo, with intel chipset, intel nic and a Sandy i3 at 3400mhz. 4gb ram and a small efficent nVidia video card that will play UT99 properly. I would be happy this way, and XP sp4!

Edit: To add, that I say i3, but a i5-2500 overclocked to 4500mhz or a i7-2600 oc'ed, would give you a big smile! :) That power would be a waste for me though, which is why a 3000-3400mhz i3 or Pentium would be awesome

darkrats

Post by darkrats » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:46 am

I have the "Ivy" processor (i5-3570K).
What extra spy crap are you thinking about?

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:17 pm

I dont know exactly, but going from Sandy to Ivy, changes were made, which are more tuned for the Win8 OS and the stuff I call spy stuff. Like DRM, Digital Rights Management. Its not just software in the OS but also another section of the CPU, actual hardware in the CPU, so kind of like another CORE, to be used by someone OTHER then you. I say this part of the OS and CPU, are all NSA. As it appears nothing is every done with them, but to have it as part of the OS and CPU hardware, means its doing something with out you knowing it. anyway, just rambling is all

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW

Post by =[FEAR]=JIGSAW » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:31 am

i3 & you don't want Win7 or Win8.1 ???

An i3 with win8.1 will run rings around an exact same system with WinXP. I know you die-hard fans of XP, but seriously :shock:

darkrats

Post by darkrats » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:42 am

That seems like a strange comment.
Isn't this whole part of the forum dedicated to keeping XP alive.
Just saying.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:26 pm

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW wrote:i3 & you don't want Win7 or Win8.1 ???

An i3 with win8.1 will run rings around an exact same system with WinXP. I know you die-hard fans of XP, but seriously :shock:
Thats not true at all! I have been with W7, I own W7, my everyday useage is faster with XP, my internet speed is faster with XP. Fact!

Now lets add in the mixture that SP4's additional security and my additional security tweaks, now make it more secure then W7-8.1!

So what they hell you talking about?

My comment was the most senior hardware that properly supported the older OS. That moving ahead further then Sandy offered no benefits and could offer less performance due to the hardware being tuned for the newer software OS.

Phil_123

Post by Phil_123 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:32 am

Hi all, reporting an issue I found.

I have a brand new installation of Windows XP Pro SP3. After installing USP4-v2, despite KB961742-v3 (Update for Windows® XP SP3 to enable RemoteApp™) reports to be installed, I have to reinstall the update manually to get RemoteApp to work, or else the system complains about rdpinit.exe being missing.

darkrats

Post by darkrats » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:18 am

Hello harkaz.
Have you decided if you will continue to post the (ported from POSReady) updates for Windows XP (esp. IE8)?

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:13 pm

@GH0st The shell crash is difficult for me to understand. I can't find a common link between the programs you install and the crash generated. Probably you could describe, in detail, the software changes you make before getting the crash.

@Stormit These firewall exceptions are from Stefan Kanthak's security enhancements. They are also part of some special KB articles for business.

@darkrats I'll try to create update installers for a few more months. I may soon start preparing for the USMLE Step 1 exam, which will take me all of my free time. In the meanwhile, I will complete SP4v3.

@Phil_123 Note taken (rdpinit missing).

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:06 pm

harkaz wrote:@GH0st The shell crash is difficult for me to understand. I can't find a common link between the programs you install and the crash generated. Probably you could describe, in detail, the software changes you make before getting the crash.
Yes, I understand. I will have to do another install, and test after I install each program till I find which is causing this issue to occur. Even then, the fix may not be easy to find.

But I will make this effort next time around. I am very happy with this install of SP4v2

A problem I have come to realize, separate issue, was I have come to the knowledge that one shouldn't use Ryans tool and then nLite tool. One of the other.

In the past I have used Ryans tool to slipsteam SP0 to SP3, then use Ryans tool to put User_hidden's update packs in. Then I switch to the nLite tool to use its options. This has never been an issue for me in the years I have been doing this. But it does cause an issue with SP4. Meaning, best to just use one of the other, but not both. Something messes up.

I really use nLite to install my mobo drivers (Intel Inf's) and use the option in nLite to change the Admin account name, which also changes the name of the FOLDER, since the name change happens prior to the folder creation. I view this as a nice security enhancement.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:12 pm

Oh, in the past, I said there was something wrong with the Net 4 install, that when I used another AIO (All In One) install pack, that it was having to install WIC. Windows Imaging Componant. You did check to make sure all was good on your end and it was. Last install, I watched closely and I misinformed you. I thought it said WIC, but actually it says WMIC ... which I'm not sure what that is, or what it has to do with Net4.

Stormit

Post by Stormit » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:56 pm

Ok Thank You for your reply and efforts. I will wait for your next version. :wink:

darkrats

Post by darkrats » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:46 pm

Hi harkaz.

"In the meanwhile, I will complete SP4v3"

I'm doing a lot of testing with v2.
Should I wait for v3 before making SP4 a permanent update to my system?
Will v3 be the final version, or will SP4 be something that will update on a regular basis?
If I have updated with v2, will I have to uninstall it before installing v3 or higher; or can I just install over the previous version?

I'm no longer fixated on the IE8 updates, but if they are included in SP4 that would be nice.
Not going to worry about installing them separately any more. Making Mozilla my main browser.

Hope you are doing well with your USMLE (although I don't know what that is).

darkrats

Post by darkrats » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:02 pm

Hi harkaz.

After the reboot following the installation of SP4 this file attempts to make a connection:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorsvw.exe

Only does it one time. It does not try to repeat.
When you get around to version 3 of SP4, would you be able to tweak it so that this file does nothing?

darkrats

Post by darkrats » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:28 am

Kind of quiet here. :rolleyes:

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:18 pm

@darkrats This is probably done because the .NET 2.0 CLR optimization service starts for the first time. I didn't include any instruction for it to launch a connection, so it is most likely native behaviour of mscorsvw.exe.

FYI, USMLE stands for United States Medical Licensing Examination.
Non-IT stuff: