Welcome to Windows XP Service Pack 4

Forum to discuss Update Packs created by community members for the various Windows operating systems.
bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:24 pm

So if the problem is the FileFlags, (and not the signing? ), then does that mean that you just need to change the FileFlags section in SP4 to include some/all of the same entries that nLite adds with the OP pack?

Cheers and Regards

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:25 pm

@bphlpt The problem is the signing but it can be overcone by changing the [FileFlags].

Yes, you need to do exactly what you say.
Windows XP Unofficial SP4 (2014, 2016, and 2019): viewtopic.php?t=10321
Non-IT stuff:
Retinal changes in schizophrenia (2019): https://academic.oup.com/schizophreniab ... 06/5598443

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:41 pm

IDEA: Actually, nuhi could introduce a "file signing" feature in nLite: a file named nLite.cat could be used to sign all modified and added files including layout.inf, syssetup.inf (even if they're not modified). This could be a magnificent improvement for this excellent tool, making it arguably the best freeware deployment tool ever created.

I have already published - as you know - the cat signing method here at ryanvm.net: it's a starting point for nuhi.
Non-IT stuff:
Retinal changes in schizophrenia (2019): https://academic.oup.com/schizophreniab ... 06/5598443

Atari800xl

Post by Atari800xl » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:10 am

bphlpt, thanks again for taking an interest in this. I hope the subject is not becoming too tedious for some, but you actually got it (almost) completely right.

Let me just quickly edit the workflow list, so we get that straight:

1.) Start with MSDN XPSP3
2.) Either one of these to create a fully updated XP source:
- Integrate SP4 beta 3 with /integrate
*or*:
Use RVMi for OnePiece updatepack (it's final, no addon packs needed)
3.) Use nLite for Classic setup screens, remove help system, tweaks, add hotfixes
- The hotfixes part is most important: "We" want a way to add the POSReady updates. If there are better ways of adding the updates in this step, please tell me how, then I will skip nLite completely
4.) Use DPBase to add only MassStorage drivers
5.) Add hosts file, winnt.sif, remove LANG folder (this step can also be skipped if needed for this test)
6.) Build iso
7.) Install using WinNTSetup
8.) Run "Postinstall", check system, make system backup (right again bphlpt)

You're right in saying that nLite has never caused any issue with the OnePiece route, but is not working with the SP4 source. Also, the hotfixes in step 3) are actually just the POSready updates of May and June. Yes, they're identical in both "routes".
Once again: SP4 works perfectly, as long as you don't "touch" it afterwards with nLite!! That's really the only issue for me. I'm just looking for a way to maybe add the POSReady updates, but I also like SP4 beta 3 just the way it is, because having a stable SP4 might be much more valuable at this time than running the risk of breaking things with POSReady updates, with the added trouble this will give to harkaz (and destroying SP4's reputation). I hope I made that clear.

Now, as long as anybody's still interested: could you please tell me what I need to do the txtsetup.sif file (the "=16" lines)? I haven't read the full thread that harkaz quoted, will try that today, but if you could give me some pointers, I can continue testing...

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:27 am

Atari800xl wrote:3.) Use nLite for Classic setup screens, remove help system, tweaks, add hotfixes
- The hotfixes part is most important: "We" want a way to add the POSReady updates. If there are better ways of adding the updates in this step, please tell me how, then I will skip nLite completely

I can't remember the last time that I used RVMi so I could be totally wrong, but I thought that RVMi could be used for the hotfixes. No??

Cheers and Regards
Last edited by bphlpt on Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Atari800xl

Post by Atari800xl » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:39 am

Not directly, I think. But I tried this:
- Use dxupac to create an updatepack from the POSready updates
- Integrate that updatepack into the sp4-integrated xp source with RVMi
- RVMi says: "The service pack level of the source is too high for the update pack you are attempting to integrate. Integration failed." (even after renaming WIN51IP.SP4 to WIN51IP.SP3).

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:43 am

harkaz wrote:IDEA: Actually, nuhi could introduce a "file signing" feature in nLite: a file named nLite.cat could be used to sign all modified and added files including layout.inf, syssetup.inf (even if they're not modified). This could be a magnificent improvement for this excellent tool, making it arguably the best freeware deployment tool ever created.

I have already published - as you know - the cat signing method here at ryanvm.net: it's a starting point for nuhi.
This is actually a wonderful idea. If this feature, along with any feature of RVMi and HFSLIP that nLite doesn't already support, could be added to nLite, then nLite could really be used for any NT5 OS.

Cheers and Regards

maxtorix

Post by maxtorix » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:49 am

Offtopic:
@5eraph; @harkaz: Maybe is to early but I want to ask something - Can we hope on releasing SP3 for NT5.2 / Server 2003 and XP x64 after July 2015?

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:04 am

@maxtorix 5eraph has enough experience in Windows XP x64 update pack creation, so it should be easier for him to create a Windows XP /Server 2003 x64 SP3. Personally, I'm not interested in XP x64, but I'm willing to help 5eraph, if he decides to start such a project.

@Atari800xl - For RVMi try changing the servicepack line in dosnet.inf to 3.0. It seems that a different detection algorithm is used. Alternatively, you could modify the DXUPAC-generated update pack. I will try to automate this process based on DXUPAC, because nLite cannot properly integrate IE8 cumulative updates (files are updated, registry is added, but still shows up in WU).

- Just copy the FileFlags section from OPWXPUP to USP4 and retry WinNTSetup.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:42 pm

Atari800xl wrote:I tried this:
- Use dxupac to create an updatepack from the POSready updates
- Integrate that updatepack into the sp4-integrated xp source with RVMi
- RVMi says: "The service pack level of the source is too high for the update pack you are attempting to integrate. Integration failed." (even after renaming WIN51IP.SP4 to WIN51IP.SP3).
Extract your custom update pack and remove the following line from the [general] section of entries.ini, then repack.

Code: Select all

ServicePack=SP3
maxtorix wrote:Can we hope on releasing SP3 for NT5.2 / Server 2003 and XP x64 after July 2015?
harkaz wrote:I'm willing to help 5eraph, if he decides to start such a project.
It's definitely worth considering. Won't commit to it yet, though. :)

Atari800xl

Post by Atari800xl » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:01 pm

5eraph, thanks for the "ServicePack=SP3" removal tip. Tested it, integration works (steps I did: make updatepack from POS updates, remove line in entries.ini, repack, integrate, add MassStorage drivers, create iso, install with WinNTSetyp). But there's missing files again in dos mode copy.

Next I'll try harkaz' suggestion:
"Just copy the FileFlags section from OPWXPUP to USP4 and retry WinNTSetup"

davetee

Post by davetee » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:26 am

Using your sp4 beta 3 on XP SP3 fully official updated. Not hacked to receive POS2009 updates or any others. I got 2 error messages when it was on creating restore point. The 2 error messages was "Failed to catalog files. Select OK to undo the changes that have been made." and "Service Pack 4 installation did not complete. Windows XP has been partially updated and may not work properly.". I did take a screenshot but this site doesn't seem to give me a option to attach pictures

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:01 am

@davetee The issue is known and I'm working on it. Expect a fix in the next version (RC1).
Non-IT stuff:

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:45 am

davetee wrote:... I did take a screenshot but this site doesn't seem to give me a option to attach pictures

Upload any pictures you want to have displayed here to any free image hosting site of your choice such as tinypic.com, imageshack.com, photobucket.com, postimage.org, or any of a number of other similar sites that are available. Then post the link to the image using the Img button in the post edit box or simply use BBCode Img tags. If you hover your mouse over the Img button you will see the required BBCode tag format.

Cheers and Regards

davetee

Post by davetee » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:09 pm

harkaz wrote:@davetee The issue is known and I'm working on it. Expect a fix in the next version (RC1).
Ok :) I forgot to mention before that I use XP on VMware Workstation

davetee

Post by davetee » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:12 pm

bphlpt wrote:
davetee wrote:... I did take a screenshot but this site doesn't seem to give me a option to attach pictures

Upload any pictures you want to have displayed here to any free image hosting site of your choice such as tinypic.com, imageshack.com, photobucket.com, postimage.org, or any of a number of other similar sites that are available. Then post the link to the image using the Img button in the post edit box or simply use BBCode Img tags. If you hover your mouse over the Img button you will see the required BBCode tag format.

Cheers and Regards
Thanks for that info. It be easy if this forum would allow to attach pictures like msfn and many others. Im not a member of any image hosting sites. But will it work from DropBox

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:53 pm

davetee wrote:... Im not a member of any image hosting sites. But will it work from DropBox
AFAIK, membership is not required to use the sites I mentioned, they are free and anonymous. Membership is available, and I believe you get get some enhanced features as a result, but it is not required. It might also work with DropBox, but you would have to try it and see. I expect that image attachment is not available here, or attachments in general, to decrease the resulting total space required for the board.

Cheers and Regards

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW

Post by =[FEAR]=JIGSAW » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:08 pm

I keep getting this ???

ELiTE

Post by ELiTE » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:40 pm

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW wrote:I keep getting this ???
Sadly, that's YOU not the file. That's a world famous Windows OS indicator of a read/write error caused by faulty ram memory. Reseat and test your memory dimms before proceeding further............ :lol:
By downloading an ELiTE Switchless Installer Addon you, the End User, agree to abide by any Terms of Use prescribed by the Freeware App contained within.

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW

Post by =[FEAR]=JIGSAW » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:15 am

ELiTE wrote:
Sadly, that's YOU not the file. That's a world famous Windows OS indicator of a read/write error caused by faulty ram memory. Reseat and test your memory dimms before proceeding further............ :lol:
Erm, impossible ??? Getting this on 2x different machines at 2x different locations.
Could it be something else ?

maxtorix

Post by maxtorix » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:07 am

This file represent GUI Setup (Text, Background image, right corner animation and installation progress bar)

When we speak of it, I want to ask something else about it.
Is there any new technology released after releasing SP3 which is worth to be mentioned in GUI Setup?

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:59 am

@ =[FEAR]=JIGSAW I haven't modified the winntbbu.dll at all. I am unable to reproduce the issue. Make sure you've properly slipstreamed SP4 in the original source.

@ maxtorix There could be changes in winntbbu text to reflect the integrated components, but don't think that's important.
Non-IT stuff:

ELiTE

Post by ELiTE » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:12 am

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW wrote:Erm, impossible ??? Getting this on 2x different machines at 2x different locations. Could it be something else ?
Well, I've seen this before many times. Bad integration caused by memory errors, disc burning too fast or faulty disc burning caused by memory errors or during a VM session read/write errors caused by memory errors.

The issue is commonly caused by memory errors and will also become evident during creation of the ORIGINAL iso or disc. Burn disc images at the slowest speed possible to ensure all data is written correctly. Always verify data written to disc.

Bad memory is a devious thing. It only shows up when certain memory blocks are accessed.

Other than that....don't know. Somewhere along the line this file has not been written correctly...... 8)
By downloading an ELiTE Switchless Installer Addon you, the End User, agree to abide by any Terms of Use prescribed by the Freeware App contained within.

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW

Post by =[FEAR]=JIGSAW » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:29 pm

Could it be that I'm integrating on XP that's running on a VM & said VM software is running on win7_64 ?

... don't have a standalone machine running XP to use at the moment.

I've just done another integration on a 3rd machine & I get the same error, so the chances of it being memory is not likely. I also can't see it being the source, as that installs perfect, even after integrating any of the other update packs. I'm also not burning the iso to disc, but installing straight to VM via disc image, so it also couldn't be a burn issue.

I don't know where I'm going wrong :( ...
and I don't suppose anyone would be willing to share their integrated ISO ??? ... I don't think their should be any "warez" concerns, as I'll still be using my own key to activate ???

ELiTE

Post by ELiTE » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:42 pm

Well, sounds like you've narrowed the issue down to a corrupt file being integrated. The file containing winntbbu.dll is bad. I don't see any other possibility. Doesn't happen often with RVM sourced files but it can happen when stored on a web host file server either that or, as you stated, your copy of XP may have become unstable....... 8)

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:50 pm

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW wrote:... I don't suppose anyone would be willing to share their integrated ISO ??? ... I don't think their should be any "warez" concerns, as I'll still be using my own key to activate ???

Sorry, but if the ISO is not obtained from an authorized source then it is considered warez. It's not just a key issue.

Cheers and Regards

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW

Post by =[FEAR]=JIGSAW » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:03 pm

bphlpt wrote:Sorry, but if the ISO is not obtained from an authorized source then it is considered warez. It's not just a key issue.

Cheers and Regards
Ok, no problem.

UPDATE:

Just noticed the source contains that file, but after integrating SP4 the file is missing ?? ... why would the integration process delete the file if it's needed ??

Could someone confirm if they have this file 'intact' after integrating :rolleyes:

ELiTE

Post by ELiTE » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:18 pm

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW wrote:Just noticed the source contains that file, but after integrating SP4 the file is missing ?? ... why would the integration process delete the file if it's needed ??

Could someone confirm if they have this file 'intact' after integrating :rolleyes:
Okay. I don't think it's being deleted. It's just not being copied. Sooo, back to the read/write error. You need to check the integrity of Winntbbu.dll on/in the source disc/file. If it's okay just physically add it to the integrated ISO in the correct location afterward. Then things should work.

If it's not okay then find a copy of Winntbbu.dll and add that. Like we said before "Somewhere along the line this file has not been written correctly"....... 8)

Atari800xl

Post by Atari800xl » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:24 pm

I have the file intact after integrating. Sorry, don't know why it was removed in your case.
Winntbbu.dll is still there in my iso. (See, no giant screenshots needed, either).

I haven't been able to do more WinNTSetup testing, I'm afraid I'm stuck. Quick reminder: Normal integration of SP4 works fine, it installs fine as well (even with WinNTSetup).
Still trying to find a way to integrate POSReady updates into the SP4 source, ready to be installed with WinNTSetup.

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW

Post by =[FEAR]=JIGSAW » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:13 pm

Ok thanks & sorry about the GIANT screenshot .... not like it's my fault this forum makes them that large when they actually display ¼ the size when posted anywhere else :?

...or maybe it's time to upgrade from that 14" CRT :lol:

Anthony21

Post by Anthony21 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:19 pm

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW

It shouldn't really matter really, besides using paint and resize it. I'm on a 23.6" screen. took half the screen and made the forum a little more messy before harkaz posted the long post for BETA 2.

What's in Beta 3? bug fixes?

Anthony21

Post by Anthony21 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:26 am

idk what i did or u did something in ur beta 3 from ur beta 2, i finally got sony vegas working under OSX vmware.

Keep up the good work :)

~Cheers n Regards~

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:29 pm

As you understand, my schedule is very tight this month and then next one, so I will not be able to complete SP4 development until August.
However, the new version (Beta 4, not RC) is coming in a few days to fix all reported issues. In addition, because a single CAT file is now used for every update, it will be much easier for me to keep the pack updated on a montly basis in the future, if I decide to do so.
Non-IT stuff:

PJAmerica

Post by PJAmerica » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:20 pm

harkaz wrote:As you understand, my schedule is very tight this month and then next one, so I will not be able to complete SP4 development until August.
However, the new version (Beta 4, not RC) is coming in a few days to fix all reported issues. In addition, because a single CAT file is now used for every update, it will be much easier for me to keep the pack updated on a montly basis in the future, if I decide to do so.
Excellent news. Take your time. I am sure everyone understands.

davetee

Post by davetee » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:34 pm

harkaz wrote:As you understand, my schedule is very tight this month and then next one, so I will not be able to complete SP4 development until August.
Take your time. You done great so far. Keeping it updated. :-)

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW

Post by =[FEAR]=JIGSAW » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:40 am

No rush, Take all the time you need & thanks

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:33 pm

Because I haven't fixed all issues the next build of Windows XP SP4 will be released in August with all updates until then integrated.

I have ben trying to fix a weird issue present since Windows XP SP2. An upgarde from Windows 98 to Windows XP Professional is not possible using official or integrated Windows XP SP2 or Windows XP SP3 media. It causes several errors probably related to file copying.

You can see a thread describing these issues here:

http://www.daniweb.com/hardware-and-sof ... fc42.dll/1

I have tried replacing the Win9XMIG, WIN9XUPG and winnt32 files with the ones found in XP SP1 media. I have successfully initialized the upgrade in Windows 98. Any attempts to patch win95upg.dll in Windows XP Pro SP3 have failed so far. I haven't found what causes the problem yet. What should I do?

ChiefZeke

Post by ChiefZeke » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:26 pm

Is anyone nowadays really going to be upgrading from Windows 98 to Windows XP with SP2/3/4?

If it's that big a problem for you to find a solution I'd vote to forget it and provide that information to all of these that might be interested; what's wrong with going from Win98 to XP w/SP1 then SP4? Seems like a viable option to me - given all the time that's passed since these versions of Windows were released.

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:25 pm

harkaz wrote:What should I do?
If you are able to fix the issue so that upgrading from any edition of 95, 98, ME, and/or Win2K directly to an XP source with SP4 already integrated, then it will be a feather in your cap to have accomplished what MS didn't bother to do, and it will add yet even more ways to be able to install XP SP4. Any tricks you learn about might also end up helping anyone who tries to make an updated SP for Win2K or XP64. So fixing the issue is preferable.

But I agree with ChiefZeke that if it is not possible to do, that requiring a preliminary step of upgrading from 9x to XP SP1 before upgrading to SP4 doesn't seem to be that much of an inconvenience and will only likely apply to a very limited group of people.

Good luck in your efforts.

Cheers and Regards

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:30 pm

The only progress I've made so far is to positively identify the file that causes the issue: it's winnt32a.dll and winnt32u.dll files. If replaced with their XP SP1 counterparts everything works as it should... Now I need to find what's different in those 2 DLLs.
Non-IT stuff:

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:09 am

A close examination of the disassembly shows that the two files are very similar. In the latest version a security_cookie is used in every single function. This is a notable change, but I'm not certain what it is about. I have examined several functions related to the setup information file loading process, which seems to be problematic. They are almost the same with the SP1 winnt32a.dll file.

I haven't used an reverse engineering tool yet, but I have almost decided to use the SP1 winnt32a.dll in the SP4 package, instead of trying to patch winnt32a.dll 5.1.2600.5512. From my tests so far, it changes almost nothing. I have noted only one change in Winnt32 behaviour: it will not accept an empty product key. Still, because the latest pidgen.dll file is used, it will accept any SP3 product key - testing pending.

It seems that the issue will be addressed after all.
Non-IT stuff:

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:16 pm

UPDATE: I tested the SP2/SP3 product keys in a Windows 98 Upgrade with winnt32a.dll 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1) scenario. Unfortunately, these keys won't be accepted. It's not possible to backport the latest Pid checking functionality (which also allows for empty product keys) with simple patching.

For that reason, I have to perform an automated comparison of the two files and try patching the Win9x upgrade functionality.

I have downloaded zynamics BinDiff for that purpose. I haven't used it before, so if anyone has experience with it, his/her help would be much appreciated.

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:36 pm

A statistical analysis of the differences between the two files:

As you can see, the functions with great differences are not directly related to the problem. I have selected the EstimateLzxDecompressionMemoryRequirement function because it may be related to copying compressed files. A bug here may cause some kind of memory leak. This is pure speculation, howewer.

Another interesting function is UnloadInfFile.

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:07 pm

Progress made: I managed to make the "Loading information file..." screen show up by performing this patch:

Now I have to take care of remaining errors...

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:02 pm

The Windows 98/98 SE/ME upgrade issue has been resolved

I've been able to find workaround for the remaining errors- which are related to decompression failure: the mfc42.dll, migisol.exe, filelist.dat and wkstamig.inf files have to be uncompressed in the I386 folder. I failed to identify what caused the decompression-only (not copying) issue. It seems like a memory issue anyway.

Now, a few additional tests will be necessary to check behaviour on K, N, KN installation media - the patch described above neutralises 4 new functions related to these SKUs.

I'm glad to do what M$ technicians didn't in 2 SP releases.

poolside

Post by poolside » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:55 am

harkaz, you are a god among men, and everyone will know your name for generations to come.

Sincerely, thank you.

Anthony21

Post by Anthony21 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:34 am

that's wonderful for those that can upgrade instead of reinstalling, M$ u suck, lack of laziness and don't care anymore bc of an old OS.

namitutonka

Post by namitutonka » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:58 pm

poolside wrote:harkaz, you are a god among men, and everyone will know your name for generations to come.

Sincerely, thank you.
Think of the hours and hours and hours of going through code. :shock:

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:18 am

A new, more interesting finding: When I add a win51nic/win51nip tag file in root folder the problem is solved completely without the need for patching or decompressing files. I might be able to patch the winnt32a.dll accordingly in order to behave as if win51nic is always present. In this way, files will remain compressed, minimizing CD-ROM size requirements.

UPDATE: The behaviour is not related to win51nic and I need to examiine it further. A winnt32a.dll from SP2 has been used.

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:22 pm

Winnt32a.dll Sp2 behaviour is not consistent on all configurations... I have decided to keep the current patch. I will perform extensive testing with Sp4 in a few days... Stay tuned.
Non-IT stuff: