How to integrate hotfix / true addon into 'Longhorn'?

Forum to discuss Update Packs created by community members for the various Windows operating systems.
maxtorix

How to integrate hotfix / true addon into 'Longhorn'?

Post by maxtorix » Fri May 30, 2014 11:54 am

When I have tried to use nLite to integrate any hotfix/update or true addon into any Longhorn build mostly from Milestone 3 (builds: 3683, 3706, 3713, 3718) of course they what have old i386 setup routine (not WIM-based) at the end of txt setup I get the follow message:
Insert the CD labeled: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 CD...

(Also you can put any CD and they are not work, I 've tried even with original XP Pro SP1 and nothing)

I doubted in some error in txtsetup.sif and I've searched in other inf/ini files for the specific string to find what cause the error but without any success.

I'm new on this forum (where how I can see here are many people which ones know how to repack, integrate update, also know to create update packs and etc...), and I've ask the same question years ago on Beta Archive where till today I didn't get any workable solution.

Longhorn builds are belonging in Alpha / pre-reset developing phase of Vista, they for their code base use kernel of Server 2003 SP1 Beta with active client SKU, and they are much more similar to XP / Server 2003, then Vista.

Most of the XP's and Server 2003's updates and hotfixes are not compatible with Longhorn builds, but some are, as:
- Windows Media Player 10
- Windows Installer 3.1
- Internet Explorer 7
- NetFramework 1.0 - 4.0
- MSXML 4 and 6.

How I said in title, my question is:
How to integrate hotfix / true addon into "Longhorn", and fix / workaround the bluescreen message how to be able to continue with installation?

,thanks in advance

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Fri May 30, 2014 3:22 pm

I don't believe nLite is compatible with early Vista Longhorn builds, despite their similarity to 2000/XP/2003 during setup.
Dino ''nuhi'' Nuhagic wrote:nLite supports Windows 2000, XP x86/x64 and 2003 x86/x64 in all languages.
To help troubleshoot this, we'd need to see dosnet.ini and txtsetup.sif from the Longhorn build before and after using nLite.

maxtorix

Post by maxtorix » Sat May 31, 2014 1:46 pm

I've tried to add Hold'Em Addon from Vista for XP, after that:
- I saw what files ware subject of change in i386 folder,
- I make copies of the current (updated) files in folder "new", and
- I take same files from original iso and put them in folder "old".

After that I have tried file by file to change in iso (replacing new ones with original files) to find which files is only responsible for the bluescreen message.

And I found it: TXTSETUP.SIF
When I compare them I saw that the file is almost totally changed also in sections which ones there is not any connection with this addon mater. After that I decide to insert lines manually from "[txtsetup_files]" in "[SourceDisksFiles.x86]" in TXTSETUP.SIF.

After that, error is here again.

Now I'm doubt on some mechanism (if that is possible at all) what check integrity of txtsetup file, or maybe is better to say - checks all lines in the file, because date of modification together with CRC32 sum are subject of change and that isn't a problem when I delete all new lines from the file and on the end what I get is the old/original txtsetup files with modified date. :(