can we have a section for XP mediacenter 2005?

Forum to discuss Update Packs created by community members for the various Windows operating systems.
wildpig

Post by wildpig » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:12 am

I would realy like to make a DVD with all updates and essential programs

wildpig

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:25 am

I would second that as it would be nice, but I believe why there isn't is because MCE is still an OEM only O/S and is usually configured so that it's nearly impossible to do the updates integrated into it. If you or someone else wants to do it in this subforum start a thread for Windows Media Center 2005 and start working on updates/etc specifically for it.
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:17 am

If there's someone willing to work on an MCE2005 pack, I'll gladly make a subforum for it.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

bionicmanone

Post by bionicmanone » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:41 am

With the event of Rollup 2 all previous Rollups/updates are not needed as they are already included in Rollup 2. I can't seem to find a way of any sort of intergration as MCE ''Components' don't actually start insstalling till T27. I've also tried .to get them installing at T13 with dismal results. The only way I've managed to get the updates installed is with RunOnce at 1st boot after initial installation.
The silent switches for all 3 updates are: /quiet /norestart
Rollup 2 (kb900325)
Update Rollup 2 (kb908250)
January Rollup for MCE 2005 (912067)

Hope this helps!

bionicmanone

Post by bionicmanone » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:19 pm

After my last post it has got me a bit cheesed off that I didn't manage to acheive working update .CAB packs for MCE. I spent most of the last day or so trying to suss out why.

I think I definetly now have the answer! It's not easy so that's why I'm asking for help & I am quite prepared to share the work if i'm successful.

Update Rollup 2 has a prequisite of .MetFramework 1.1 + .NetFramework 1.1 SP1. The first time I tried to install it I got all sorts of errors. The reason was I didn't have the full version of .NetFramework installed on my PC. I had installed it from AutoPatcher. After checking the file sizes it must be using the same version as here & MSFN which i'm guessing is a cut down version.

The remedy!
Yep. To make my own .CAB files of the full .NetFramework. Mmmm? No.
I've run in to a few problems. With the Redist Version 'DOTNETFX.EXE' the standard unattended installation is (i'm sure most know) /q:a /c:"install /q". When making the switchless installer I get 'Config Error' . Using just /q the manual screens all pop as expected.

I thought I would try something else. The all in one version of .NetFramework 1.1 that came with offcial XP SP2 discs & I think on SP2 OEM versions of XP now has a different installer. When I checked to see what the silent switches were it told me I had to create an .ini file with the unatteded info on. Now I as I don't know what the switches are for the 'SETUP.EXE' in the first place then I am completely stuck. Hours & hours of browsing trying to find the answer to this but no avail.

I really hope someone can help me. I'm not worried about the 40mb size of .NetFramework 1.1 +SP1. What we add with thing we can take away with another! :D
Thanx!

Daemonforce

Post by Daemonforce » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:05 am

My experience with MCE is flat out wierd. It used to crash when I wanted to make a "partattend" installation with it. It originally consisted of two CD-Rs and I managed to merge both discs as one media and added to it with the RyanVM update packs. MCE is based on XP Pro but it has a killswitch to keep you from changing your workgroup/domain join choice after preinstallation. I still need to fix that. I build my MiniNT projects from MCE since XP Pro doesn't seem to like upgrades from a Win32 environment and doesn't run virtual machines as well as MCE does for some odd reason. We don't really need a MCE/TPC section unless it has something to do with updating or modifying the Media Center/Tablet PC components. Good luck ever coming up with those. o_O
Do you have stairs in your house?

corpseslayer

Post by corpseslayer » Sun May 21, 2006 8:09 am

pointless trivia :- Install MCE with a XP Pro serial and it will install (as far as i can see) XP Pro!
"The strong survive, we will survive, f**k all the enemies we have got" - Ian Stuart
"Use you illusions let them take you where they may till you live and learn sometimes it's best to walk away" - W. Axl Rose
"Democracy is the illusion of equality. While one man is rich and another is poor there is no equality" - Adolf Hitler

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sun May 21, 2006 12:50 pm

The integrator will support MCE in the next release. So someone will be able to make an updatepack. :D The main thing that I had to do is make sure the integrator searched for the cmpnents folder if MCE was detected.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

DJB

Post by DJB » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:37 pm

Hey Guys

I tried to make a MCE update pack, using the RyanVM integrator as the means of putting it into a CD. I'm thinking that my updatepack is not working 100% though, so I'd like some assistance if possible.

This is a rundown on what I've done.

* Firstly I made 7-zip switchless installers (even using the extra code to not display the extracting screen) for ALL of the updates, including .NET 1.1. I extracted the Rollup Pack 2 update to obtain the hotfixes inside it for individual install.

* Looked at a previous update pack on how to get these to install via SVCPACK, and editied it so that it would hopefully work with these updates.

Below is my entries_mceupdate10.ini script:

Code: Select all

[general]
builddate=01/07/2006
description=DJB's MCE 2005 Update Pack
language=English
title=DJB's MCE 2005 Update Pack
version=1.0
website=http://ryanvm.msfn.org/

[EditFile]
I386\SVCPACK.INF,SetupHotfixesToRun,AddProgram

[AddProgram]
dotnetfx11.exe
wmfdist95.exe
kb888795.exe
kb891593.exe
kb895572.exe
kb895961.exe
kb899337.exe
kb899510.exe
kb900325.exe
kb902841.exe
kb912024.exe
kb913800.exe
kb914548.exe
However, I check the add / remove programs on MCE once it's installed, and it only shows .NET and nothing else. I'm thinking they didn't install properly possibly.

If anybody could help me in the right direction it would be certainly appreciated, as I'd love to release an MCE update pack for you guys.

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:22 pm

Actually, integrations of the updates done a la RVMUpdatePack style _wont_ show up in Add/Remove (even with "Show Updates" ticked. Since .Net is an application install, it does. (My ATI drivers show up, though they're installed via "from cd" method. Opera shows up, though it's not a switchless installer, but fearphage's addon. None of the updates however, show up.)

If you want to confirm that updates are present, run QFECHECK, M$ Baseline, or install WinUpdatesList

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:22 pm

Also... True UpdatePacks do not use switchless installers. They actually overwrite older files so the disk size is pretty much the same. It saves a lot of room on your disk.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:30 pm

Siginet wrote:They actually overwrite older files so the disk size is pretty much the same. It saves a lot of room on your disk.
Not sure what to think. Pretty much the same or saves a lot of room :P

The switchless silent installer that I just made for runtimes comes in at 48.9MB. If I had made a so called "true addon" where each file was placed in the source using cab compression, like an update pack, it would have been at a minimum 74.8MB. That's close to 26MB difference. And there isn't one single file in there that would be overwriting a pre-existing file.

IMO hotfixes to an OS are almost always more appropriate as a traditional addon, but applications, utilities, etc are better off as switchless silent installers the majority of the time.

In this case I think all of the MCE rollups would be best served as addons and the .NET runtimes as an installer.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:33 pm

MCE Updates can be directly integrated into the MCE cab, though
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

DJB

Post by DJB » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:44 pm

RyanVM wrote:MCE Updates can be directly integrated into the MCE cab, though
Could you please link me to a page where this is described Ryan?

I extracted the hotfix exe's and took a look, and all I could see were files like _sfx_0000._p, _sfx_0001._p etc, and the update folder doesn't even contain an update.exe to run the update.

I thought doing it the way I described above would be the only way possible, but I want to try integrating them directly to the CAB.

If I can get some help with this (and I/we can get it to work 100%) I'm sure LOTS of people will love us for it.

DJB

Post by DJB » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:46 pm

Zacam wrote:If you want to confirm that updates are present, run QFECHECK, M$ Baseline, or install WinUpdatesList
I'm gonna try WinUpdatesList and see what it says. Just about to do a clean install on a virtual PC and take a look.

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:06 pm

You have to extract the hotfixes with "hotfix.exe -x" and then give it a directory to store the output to get the actual DLL/SYS/etc files.

(Where "hotfix.exe" is the name of the file, such as KB888795.exe)

(Or, if you already have a directory for them: hotfix.exe -x:"X:\%dir%" where X is the drive and %dir% is the location to extract to.)

DJB

Post by DJB » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:15 pm

Zacam wrote:You have to extract the hotfixes with "hotfix.exe -x" and then give it a directory to store the output to get the actual DLL/SYS/etc files.

(Where "hotfix.exe" is the name of the file, such as KB888795.exe)

(Or, if you already have a directory for them: hotfix.exe -x:"X:\%dir%" where X is the drive and %dir% is the location to extract to.)
Thanks, I'll give that a try too. :)

DJB

Post by DJB » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:35 pm

OK, tried WinUpdatesList and it showed that they weren't installed.

I've extracted all the files from the updates to seperate folders, where would I go from here?
If you don't feel like explaining something that's already on the site, just link me :)

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:09 am

Look at the RVMUpPck.inf as an example. Most of that information is obtained from the INF's each hotfix contains. (look directly at the KB####.AddReg] sections).

You can also IM me on AIM (your best bet to get ahold of me). It's in my profile.

idbirch2

Post by idbirch2 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:41 am

Did anyone ever manage to integrate the Rollup updates properly? I am currently downloading the new version of the update pack but I don't see any mentinon of MCE...

DJB

Post by DJB » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:41 am

idbirch2 wrote:Did anyone ever manage to integrate the Rollup updates properly? I am currently downloading the new version of the update pack but I don't see any mentinon of MCE...
I had a play at it one time, but couldn't get it to work properly. I'm hoping that Ryan will someday find the kindness in his heart and hopefully a little spare time to make atleast one MCE pack, even if it's not constantly updated (you know, a starters rollup pack you know).

boooggy

Post by boooggy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:10 am

its not hard to make it but it takes time...and i was thinking to start but quited cause i got into something else. maybe someday i will get to it as long as i get my hands on a genuine cd......