Testing Virtual Machine

Forum to discuss Update Packs created by community members for the various Windows operating systems.
Scorpius Maximus

Testing Virtual Machine

Post by Scorpius Maximus » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:46 pm

What VM is recommended to test integrated Installation CDs?
Never settle.

redxii

Post by redxii » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:51 pm

I use VirtualBox: It's fast, free, and small: http://www.virtualbox.org/

Just stay away from Virtual PC. I only have a mere XP 3200+, VPC takes over an hour to install XP (half of that time spent copying files in the first part of setup). VirtualBox goes from start to finish in as little as 10-15 minutes.

Scorpius Maximus

Post by Scorpius Maximus » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:39 pm

TNX!
Never settle.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:31 pm

I've found VirtualBox to be a bit faster when testing an install source, but I still use VMware for testing application installations, repacks, etc.

While I'm on the topic, if you like to use Linux, VirtualBox is fantastic in that environment as well. If you use one of the Debian based distros, innotek even has a repo so you get autoupdates.

Scorpius Maximus

Post by Scorpius Maximus » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:48 am

I dual Boot to Kubuntu and have PendriveLinux on my Thumbdrive. I definitely can use that info!
Thanks again!
Never settle.

SpeedEuphoria

Post by SpeedEuphoria » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:31 am

redxii wrote:I use VirtualBox: It's fast, free, and small: http://www.virtualbox.org/

Just stay away from Virtual PC. I only have a mere XP 3200+, VPC takes over an hour to install XP (half of that time spent copying files in the first part of setup). VirtualBox goes from start to finish in as little as 10-15 minutes.
hey I'm tryig that virtual box and so far i mounted my .iso but it hangs on starting windows(1st part of the install for xp before setting partitions).
The other thing that I noticed is it only lets me have 1 cd drive, I have xp upgrade cds so I need to have the .iso mounted and my dvd drive so I can if asked insert a windows 95 cd to validate. If you have any input lmk
I'm new to this but I learn fast.

Joe S

Testing Virtual Machine

Post by Joe S » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:28 pm

I agree that VrtualBox is fine for testing installs and fast. It does have some shortcoming like 32 bit color is only 27 bit. It' not simple to network. I think I saw a post about problems with audio files. If all you want is to test installs it's fine but if you want to run applications like real pc there may be some broblems.
Joe