More media center goodness

Forum to discuss Update Packs created by community members for the various Windows operating systems.
SinCityZ

More media center goodness

Post by SinCityZ » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:48 pm

OK let me first say long time reader, first time poster. Apologies for this long post.

I do IT work for a computer repair company so keeping up to date discs is hugely important to us. I have already successfully (and now easily thanks to some threads in this forum) made 100% up-to-date XP home and pro discs that work flawlessly. The one thorn in my side has been MCE.

I've learned that when I slipstreamed SP3 in I have to replace the medctroc.inf from the SP2 disc. No problem anymore there. I was unable to sucessfully integrate onepiece's post sp3 update pack (gave an error during the GUI phase of the install), so what I wound up doing was downloading each update one by one. Pain in the ass to say the least. I finally was able to make a complete disc with nearly all the updates -- or so I thought. Though the install went smooth and everything worked and slip-streamed correctly I was unable to install the update roll up 2. It would give me an error (which sadly I can't remember off the top of my head).

What I've tried:

Before slip-streaming SP3 I was able to slipstream the update roll up no problems, however SP3 failed to slipstream after that.

I tried slip-streaming SP3 and then the update roll up, but the the roll up would fail to slipstream.

I'm kinda outta ideas here, and getting sorta aggravated too.

So can any one point me in the right direction to get a fully updated MCE disc?

I'm using the latest nlite BTW and have a oem dell MCE DVD

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:48 pm

if this is an nlite issue its best to ask at their forum, since this forum does not support nlite in any way.
but if you ask this question over at the nlite forum they will t ell you nlite is for private use only and not for commercial purposes http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=135130

SinCityZ

Post by SinCityZ » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:24 am

This is actually more of a what do I need to a get a fully updated media center disc question, I don't care what process or programs need to be used to make it.

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:54 pm

Greetings! Welcome. I've learned a lot over the years through RyanVM's update packs and his forum.

The one announcement in the section you posted in has, as far as I know, the closest information to what you're looking for Electrogen'sMCEUpdatePack (Beta6).

I haven't fooled with XP MCE since September of 2007 when I built my Vista computer. It is so much easier building up to date Vista and Windows 7 installation media. I am very sure I have read about people, possibly in that post I linked to, successfully updating an XP MCE disc, but I haven't tried it myself.

I know that this subject has been the seemingly holy grail which many have been searching for, but I gave up a long time ago. Good luck!
Gigabyte case GZ-FA2CA-AJB
Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P with Realtek High Definition Audio
HIS Radeon HD 4850 512MB
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3GHz
Corsair 4GB DDR2-6400 4-4-4-12
4x1TB SATA RAID 0+1/2x640GB SATA RAID 0/Misc. PATA
Windows 7 x64

Tsusai

Post by Tsusai » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:22 pm

Might have an answer for you guys today. I've been working off and on on this for some time, taking ideas from here and there, and it looks like it's finally come together.

MCE 2005 OEM Slipstreamed to SP3, added SP3 updates, IE8, WMP11, .NET. Right now I'm testing adding 2 update rollups (2005 and 2006) integrated. Those rollups aside, I have had no broken programs or function issues other than Media Center whine about the virtual pc's video card. Dancer works, don't know how to get to the sonic burning.

If it all works, I shall share what I did here, because I've taken a bunch from here, and I want to return the favor.