Possible Howto solved?: Media Center 2005 SP3

Forum to discuss Update Packs created by community members for the various Windows operating systems.
Tsusai

Possible Howto solved?: Media Center 2005 SP3

Post by Tsusai » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:44 pm

Edit: :( it chopped off the title...

Just finished a set of tests, and everything checks out so far. It takes some time to make, and a few things (within my limited knowledge) are post-install updates. The result is at this time with the update pack, 4 critical updates and a few MCE updates are required when freshly installed.

I followed this hidden gem: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... bc995105c8 to slipstream SP3, however I copied the CMPNENTS\MEDIACTR from the 2nd CD to the cd-in-making after the slipstream. All tests at this point came out positive, beside the fact WMP9 was installed instead of 10.

Moving onto Nlite and updates, the most compatible SP3 Update back is "XPSP3_QFE_UpdatePack for Windows XP Post-SP3", here on these forums. Also since MCE needs .NET 1.1, I had very good success integrating DotNetFx_All_In_1_Addon_v2.4.7z into the it. IE8 will also install if integrated using the addon from http://www.winaddons.com/nlite-addons (13 min installer)

At this point, IE8 and a ton of SP3 updates are installed, which leaves WMP and MCE components to deal with.

Method 1 (Most failsafe): Download & Install WMP 10 (MP10Setup.exe) from Microsoft. Then you should be able to run Windows Updates, install the 2005 Update Rollup 2, reboot, then install Oct2006 Update Rollup and WMP11 setup

Method 2 :
I used YumeYao's YumeYao_WMP11_Addon_ENU_V3_2_1.7z to integrate WMP 11
Download Update Rollup 2 (KB900325). Run the program. After it extracts it should give you a warning with a YES/NO selection. At this time, browse to the extracted contents (something like c:\522nsdtn34blahblahblah). Run KB900325.exe. It should install, but don't reboot. Close out of the previously running install (hit NO on that YES/NO prompt). You should be able to use windows updates and install the Oct2006 Update Rollup. However WMP 11 will show up once again in Optional on Windows Update (WMP11 for MCE). Doesn't seem to hurt to install it again.

Why I couldn't integrate 2005 Update Rollup 2: 1) I'm a n00b. 2) The updater part of the setup checks to see if MCE is installed, and the WinAPI command GetSystemMetrics doesn't work during the GUI setup

Again, I've had no install errors this way, and the two computer systems I have and virtual machines are running stable at this time

beats

Post by beats » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:57 pm

Method 1 (Most failsafe): Download & Install WMP 10 (MP10Setup.exe) from Microsoft. Then you should be able to run Windows Updates, install the 2005 Update Rollup 2, reboot, then install Oct2006 Update Rollup and WMP11 setup
I don't get this part. Why do you install WMP10 first? WU/MU will offer WMP11 also if WMP9 is installed.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:11 pm

Nice TechNet link, Tsusai. :)

Tsusai

Post by Tsusai » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:55 pm

beats wrote:
I don't get this part. Why do you install WMP10 first? WU/MU will offer WMP11 also if WMP9 is installed.
WMP11 won't install without 2005 Update Rollup 2 (KB900325) installed. And that won't install unless WMP10 is installed (which MCE comes with, but is nuked back to 9 by the service pack). It (WMP11) CAN be slipstreamed in, but Windows Updates will offer it again (I believe I slipstreamed with the slipstreamer and YumiYao's (sp?) on different tests. It'll end up showing again in the update list after you install 2005 update rollup 2 (This is the caveat of method 2, installing/integrating WMP11). You'll have to extract the REAL installer of KB900325 to get around the need of it to install WMP 10 updates with that MCE looking installer.

I hope I'm making sense. I'm currently trying to see if the WMP10 installer will install via SVCPACK method (13min), then throw in the update packs and 11 in the desktop environment.

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:13 pm

1. If you integrate my WMP addon, WMP10 is not needed. Although WMP11 won't install without MCE Update Rollup 2, my way of INTEGRATION doesn't nothing to do with this limit of INSTALLATION.

2. For the item "WMP for MCE" delivered on MU, it's already talked here. So all you need is applying Update Rollups.
EDIT: just see that you said it showed up again after having Update Rollup 2006 installed. interesting, i'll check it.

3. It's suggested that you do such things before slipstreaming SP3:
backup MEDCTROC.INF MEDCTROC.DLL and MEDIACTR.CAT
copy cmpnents\netfx to your work dir

then after having SP3 slipstreamed:
restore MEDCTROC.INF MEDCTROC.DLL and MEDIACTR.CAT
copy cmpnents\mediactr to your work dir(yes you've got this step right)

4. Maybe I'll consider make an addon for all MCE updates later.
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

Tsusai

Post by Tsusai » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:34 pm

yumeyao wrote:1. If you integrate my WMP addon, WMP10 is not needed. Although WMP11 won't install without MCE Update Rollup 2, my way of INTEGRATION doesn't nothing to do with this limit of INSTALLATION.
Right, that's why I have yours listed in Method 2, and the workaround to get Update Rollup 2 KB900325 to install :)
yumeyao wrote: 2. For the item "WMP for MCE" delivered on MU, it's already talked here. So all you need is applying Update Rollups.
Interesting. thinking about it now, I can't say for sure if installing Rollup 2006 removes it or not.....I'll experiment tomorrow if I can...else I'm stuck doing sales work :/
yumeyao wrote: 3. It's suggested that you do such things before slipstreaming SP3:
backup MEDCTROC.INF MEDCTROC.DLL and MEDIACTR.CAT
copy cmpnents\netfx to your work dir

then after having SP3 slipstreamed:
restore MEDCTROC.INF MEDCTROC.DLL and MEDIACTR.CAT
copy cmpnents\mediactr to your work dir(yes you've got this step right)
Yeah, its definitely needed, however looking closer at the Technet post, it looks like he got his filenames mis-spelt. Those are indeed what are needed. However all won't install unless those other files (wbemoc, sysoc, and txtsetup) are modded.
yumeyao wrote:4. Maybe I'll consider make an addon for all MCE updates later.

Kewl. I'm going to be looking at writing a small file patcher, that'll take care of the needed edits without the whole messing with "expand" and "makecab" on the commandline.

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:20 pm

I don't expect the possibility for a cabinet patcher, because a cabinet containing multiple files is compressed as blocks, therefore even a tiny change is made then the output cabinet will differ a lot.
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

Tsusai

Post by Tsusai » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:16 am

It would be more of an overglorified batch file. Temporarily extract the two infs, edit, recompress, replace.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:48 am

Or somebody make a sp3 addon without the mce or wmp stuff, the only hard part would be separating the home and pro stuff...no need to determine what files are new and need to be added to entries.ini to edit txtsetup.sif because txtsetup.sif is already updated

Tsusai

Post by Tsusai » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:08 pm

Ran into the first possible error, though it made 0 sense.

Ran the MCE wizard on a new PC. Got to the "Test Sound" part. It plays a sound, then a big message saying something along the lines of "Video Decoder Missing", which makes 0 sense for a sound test. Video test works fine.