Whats differs .7z from .cab addons?

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
shorterxp

Whats differs .7z from .cab addons?

Post by shorterxp » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:08 am

Hi
As the title implies, whats the difference as far as integrating with nlite is concerned?
In any case is nlite the best method

Also what is a True addon?

I'm familiar with unnattended installs but renetly dabbled with integrating packs.

cheers

mooms

Re: Whats differs .7z from .cab addons?

Post by mooms » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:23 am

The compression method.
Alteration of the world
Want to thank me ? If you buy something on Banggood with this link, I will earn a little %.

shorterxp

Post by shorterxp » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:28 pm

Ok so, for instance regarding DXUPAC.exe addon creator, these are some observations:

When one selects under "Programs you want to create: WindowsXP Post-SP3 Update Pack"
Only "Update Pack" is an option under "choose addon type".
68mb of files are input - Upon completion, the output is a 13.1mb PostSP3-UpdatePAck.7z archive file.
Presumably, 7z is of the sort compatible with RyanVM Inegrator/ nlite.

When one selects "Programs you want to create: Internet Explorer 8" (as an example)
Theres now True Addon, SVCPack and RunOnceEx to choose from.
With same 68mb of files input - Upon seperate completions, outputs are IE8-True-Addon.7z and IE8-Svcpack.7z (11.5mb and 13.1mb respectively),

RunOnceEx doesn't output anything but thats irrelevant because (I assume) RunOnceEx is for creating silent installers to run at RunOnce stage of an unattended setup and I'm not interested in this.

One observed difference between the aforementioned 7z files lies in the layout inside these archives;
Post-SP3-UpdatePAck.7z seems to be identical to the IE8-True-Addon.7z, whereas the IE8-Svcpack.7z contains only an executable inside a SVCPACK folder, inside the 7z archive.

So whats diferentiates all these addon "types"? As you can understand to the novice user / newcomer to the forum, none of this is really documented anywhere - he/she has to build a picture, hints spread across numerous threads. A simple, succinct, comprehensive guide is lacking imo.

In any event a more comprehensive and up-to-date IE8 addon pack is the end goal.
There is an addon dated 2014 on the Wincert forum - naturally that wont have latest 2019 update though.
I started a thread here, with the intention to see whether anyone is willing make one, IF not II guess I'll need to figure out how to make an adddon that will worrk in conjunction with user_hidden and 5eraph cumulative update packs for x86 XP.

Thanks for your curiosity

shorterxp

Post by shorterxp » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:23 pm

bump quesiton still stands
any help appreicated