pointer shadow - DURING INSTALL

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
long-lurker

pointer shadow - DURING INSTALL

Post by long-lurker » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:19 pm

not sure if this is really an "update pack addons" question or not, but here goes...

i use nLite and several "runonce" installs that i create/update myself, some AutoIt, some silent installs, et cetera...

i'm looking for a way, though it sounds trivial, to DISABLE the "pointer shadow" BEFORE/DURING install of these "runonce" installations...

i already know how to disable the shadow during my installation procedure for AFTER these "runonce" installations, ie, after Windows reboots its first time, but is there a way to disable it BEFORE the first reboot?

i know that the "default user" setting will disable that shadow for the "logon screen" and that is via HKEY_USER\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop and hex'ing "UserPreferencesMask" from the default "9e,3e,03,80" to "30,10,00,80", not sure if that is of help or not...

tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:15 pm

Are you talking about XP? (You didn't mention the Windows version)

If yes then you should probably play around with the HIVE*.INF files.

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:30 pm

oops, sorry... yes, Win XP...

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:51 pm

i'm finding five HIVE*.INF files...
HIVECLS.INF, HIVEDEF.INF, HIVESFT.INF, HIVESYS.INF, and HIVEUSD.INF...

according to the Reg2Inf tool and *IF* the "logon screen" pointer shadow is one-in-the-same with the "runonce" installation screen, then i'm looking to edit HKU,".DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop"...

none of the five HIVE*.INF files have any HKU's...
they only have HKLM's, HKCR's, HKCU's, and HKR's...

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:09 pm

trying DXTool's Registry Tweaks True AddOn...
not sure if this is the correct registry entry for the "runonce" installation screen, but will find out later this evening...

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:48 pm

far enough in on the new install to know that the reg entry does NOT remove that STOOOPID shadow while the install is still in the dark-blue screen low-res "Performing Final Tasks" stage of the install...

fingers crossed that the STOOOPID shadow is removed when it gets to the "runonce" stage of the install...

i know it's trivial, but i *hate* that stupid pointer shadow, lol...

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:58 pm

SWEET !!!...

the new install is now running through all of the "runonce" installs and the mouse has *NO SHADOW* !!!...

i'm half way there, now to see if i can track down why there is a stooopid shadow during the "low-res" portion of the install...
that part doesn't "annoy" me 'as much' though...

George King

Post by George King » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:35 pm

And how you made it?

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:38 am

i used DXTool's "Registry Tweaks True AddOn Creator" option and this registry entry -
HKU, ".DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop", "UserPreferencesMask", 0x1, 30,10,00,80

you're all going to say it's all in my head and that's your own prerogative, but axing that stooopid shadow has made my installation "faster" (by seconds, not minutes, but faster nonetheless)... and i also had to add 150ms "delays" into three of my AutoIt installs, i see that as no coincidence either...

the installation speed was measured three times without the addon, nothing else different, and three times with the addon, nothing else different... used the timestamps on the first file created during my first runonce and the last file created during my last runonce... all three of the with-addon were faster... we're only talking 2 to 4 seconds, but i'm taking that and running with it... it's not going to take a 120-minute install and knock it down to 80-minutes, lol...

it's a single-cpu computer that's eight years old or so, i'm doubting that the pointer shadow has any slowdown effect on newer multi-processor computers... but i am claiming that it *DOES* slow down older motherboards :)

not anywhere NEAR the slowdown of having that stooopid shadow enabled during "remote desktop" applications, but anywhooo...

ELiTE

Post by ELiTE » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:06 am

Biggest bottleneck on a PC is the hard drive (system drive) The drives on your 8 year old rig are what? IDE? Even if they were as advanced as SATA 1 they still crawl along at a snails pace compared to SATA 3 6GBs. Even my old Pentium D 960 3.6GHz (decommissioned now) would install XP Pro in 30 minutes and I think that was IDE based if I remember correctly. I think I'd string up if I had to wait 2 hours for an install. My Win7 SP1 x64 takes about 10 minutes I think currently on my Core i7 powered SATA 3 SSD........ 8)
Last edited by ELiTE on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
By downloading an ELiTE Switchless Installer Addon you, the End User, agree to abide by any Terms of Use prescribed by the Freeware App contained within.

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:21 am

four computers, only one is that old :)
even on that old one though, XP itself installs in ~40 minutes (and that's down around ~25 if i do not do "all" .NET frameworks, i only "need" 1.1 and 2.0, but i put them all in anyway)...

if i include my nLite "runonce" installs (installations that inhibit me from using RVMI, for lack of know-how but nLite does it "for me"), then my full install, right down to desktop icon locations and literally *everything*, the install takes 1hr 50min...

and the bottleneck for me is ATI video drivers/software...
my unattended fully-automatic no-user-interaction install has to reboot three times just for ATI install and after each automatic reboot, the no-user-interaction process takes back control...

i pop in the DVD, hit the reset button, and in under two hours i have *EVERYTHING* up-and-running :)
not "just" XP, but *EVERYTHING*, even work-related CAD programs...

yes, two hours is a "long time", but back in the day BEFORE these installs were nLite'd, i'd be looking at 20 minutes for XP, 2 hours at Windows Updates, 3 hours at CAD programs, another hour with user prefereces, et cetera, you get the drift (*home* office, i'm technically in a "gray area" as far as nLite's EULA, that topic has been discussed in the past, *I'M LEGIT!* [Microsoft might disagree, but my copy of Windows XP is *LEGAL*, Microsoft might disagree with the intentions of this entire website as far as integrating updates as opposed to visiting Windows Update, but let's forego that one, lol])...

i'll take an under 2hr install ANY DAY over the "manual" alternative :)

the pointer shadow has NO EFFECT on the install of XP, only on the install of the "runonce" installations AFTER the XP install does its first reboot... it's for when nLite pops up the DOS-box and nLite runs all of the "runonce" installations...
Last edited by long-lurker on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ELiTE

Post by ELiTE » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:34 am

My XP Pro was 2.5 GB containing 128 addons . That was during my earlier days here at RVM. Now, I just use a Win7 SP1 x64 disc and do the Windows update thing afterwards ( another 30 minutes). Real disappointed M$ isn't releasing SP2 for Win7. Going instead with the individual monthly patches. Windows update is great for critical stuff etc but an SP2 would fit the bill if you just want to get up and running on a new build etc. Good thing I have 25/2 mbps internet to download the stuff to my machine...... 8)
Last edited by ELiTE on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
By downloading an ELiTE Switchless Installer Addon you, the End User, agree to abide by any Terms of Use prescribed by the Freeware App contained within.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:40 am

I bet if you are using onepieces update pack that the .net installs is taking 50 minutes + of that

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:45 am

i ran Win7 for a while... *HATED* it, will NOT go back to it !!!...

my optimized/tweaked XP single-processor with 2gig RAM **IS** faster than Win7 dual-processor with 4gig RAM...

my "everything" XP install DVD sits at 4.4gig...
but like i say, it's literally *everything*...

my preferred .NET is jaynbe's "5IO"...

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:51 am

Yup that install would take forever.
my preferred .NET is jaynbe's "5IO"...

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:58 am

Do yourself a favor and consider trying a test install without the .net

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:01 am

i don't really mind, i prefer the "all-in-one" approach and that one lists them in the Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs"... most of the other .NETs either don't list them at all or list them under "Add/Remove Windows Components"...

with the install being fully automated with zero user-interaction, it could take all eight hours while i sleep and i'd be fine with it :)

the automation process takes care of any reboot [most reboots are set to "no, reboot later", it's the ATI tv-tuner video card install that i "gave up on" and i let it do its reboots]...

i have it go into "hibernate" after the very last install and with *everything* done automatically, it's really like i never had the computer "unavailable" at all... it pops right up out of hibernation and i hit the floor running, fully updated :)

Long Live RyanVM Discussion Board, i'd *hate* to have to go back to the days of doing all of this "manually" :) :) :)

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:12 am

Kelsenellenelvian wrote:Do yourself a favor and consider trying a test install without the .net
you are 100% correct, the install goes a LOT faster without .NET...
but with everything *fully* automatic, i guess it doesn't bother me if i'm looking at 1hr versus 2hr...

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:46 am

Hey it answers your question.

But since you don't really mind carry on then :P

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:24 am

my original question was really only about the STOOOPID childish-looking pointer shadow and had nothing to do with "speed"...

at any rate, that SSTTTOOOOOOPPPIIIDD pointer shadow is now GONE :) :) :)

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:46 am

though yeah, i can see how it may have sounded like i had speed in the back of my mind when i went testing for if the shadow-removal saved any install time...

but nope, was just an after-thought...

i see that STOOOPID shadow and all i think of is a ten-year old playing some beeping computer game...

i'm "basically" all grown-up, i don't need the computer looking like a KID'S GAME :)

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:57 pm

long-lurker wrote:i'm "basically" all grown-up, i don't need the computer looking like a KID'S GAME :)
long-lurker wrote:at any rate, that SSTTTOOOOOOPPPIIIDD pointer shadow is now GONE :) :) :)
Well, yeah, that is an extremely adult level comment. LOL Sorry, but I couldn't resist. :)

You know, I really didn't get the point of this. Could you possibly post some screenshots showing the difference with and without the pointer shadow? Maybe this is about something other than what I think it is.

Cheers and Regards

tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:18 am

I'm not really sure whether it can really affect the speed of Windows installation but I can probably understand why someone would like to remove that shadow. I'm also kind of annoyed by shadows under mouse cursors or icons and turn them off as soon as possible in new Windows installations :P

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:17 pm

i can't post a screen-cap of something happening DURING installation without snapping a pic with a digital camera...

i'm talking about Win XP's mouse cursor, the white arrow pointing to 11 o'clock if it were a clock hand and it moves around the screen when i move my mouse (um, can't explain it more clearly than that, didn't think i'd have to explain it)...

under Control Panel -> Mouse -> Pointers, that stupid shadow is called "pointer shadow" and it is enabled by default...

ELiTE

Post by ELiTE » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:31 pm

Apparently to disable the pointer shadow in the login:

HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Desktop

Right-click on the "UserPreferenceMask" Binary Value [REG_BINARY] and choose Modify. In the four sets of numbers after the 0000 place the mouse cursor behind the first two numbers, hit Backspace once and type in 30. Do the same with the second set and enter 10. It should read 30 10 00 80. Then hit OK and close the Registry Editor.
Now the mouse shadow should be gone from the login screen."

http://www.techimo.com/forum/technical- ... hadow.html

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:31 am

yes, that is the fix i have already referenced in my very first post :)
and that solves the shadow AFTER the WinXP install does one of its REBOOTS...

but have you been able to find the fix for BEFORE the WinXP installation does those REBOOTS *during* installation?

ie, during the LO-RES portion of the install?

tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:05 am

As I said earlier, you probably need to add the registry entry to one of the HIVE files...

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:36 am

see fourth post...

tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:56 pm

You need to modify HIVEDEF.INF as HKCU. It will become default for all users.

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:50 pm

SWEET !!!...

will try that with next month's Update Tuesday re-install...