Hacked WGA Addons Policy

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
RyanVM
Site Admin

Hacked WGA Addons Policy

Post by RyanVM » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:14 am

As most of you are already aware of, I'm putting an end to hacked WGA addons being posted in this forum. At best, they are an extreme grey area and more likely they are downright illegal.

So here's my policy: on my forums I won't be allowing any direct links to hacked WGA files. However, you guys are free to put whatever you want on your own sites, just don't directly link to the files from here.
Last edited by RyanVM on Wed May 24, 2006 8:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:46 pm

I don't think this thread needs to be an announcement anymore
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed May 24, 2006 8:26 am

OK, I guess it does.

TWO PEOPLE HAVE BEEN BANNED IN THE LAST DAY FOR VIOLATING THE RULES AND POSTING LINKS TO THE HACKED DLL. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE AND WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:28 pm

With the release of Integrator 1.3 and its ability to directly hack files now, I feel this policy needs clarification just to make sure we're all on the same page.
  1. I personally can't stand WGA myself, but it's something Microsoft has mandated to prevent piracy and to work around it is circumventing antipiracy measures, which is again specifically banned via the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) - a law that I once again believe is absolutely retarded.
  2. However, I think we'd all agree that this site serves a bigger purpose, and it's to all of our advantages to make sure we stay on the right side of the law, whether we agree with it or not. Getting shut down or receiving a cease and desist order to make a statement really doesn't fit in with the goals of this site.
  3. While it's no longer necessary to include hacked binaries in the addons, hacking the DLL on the fly still makes the addon in effect a crack, which is still on the same level as including the hacked file directly.
Therefore, the policy regarding hacked WGA addons hasn't changed. Directly linking to an addon which hacks the DLL on the fly instead of including a pre-hacked binary is not allowed. As I said in the first post, however, I can't control what you put on your own websites ;). So keep that in mind if you want to make a hacked addon and share it with the world :).

Understand, everybody, that I'm really not a fan of WGA myself, but the ultimate goal of my Update Pack is to fully update the Windows install CD prior to installation. Specifically omitting a fix required to access Microsoft Update goes against that philosophy, so I won't be removing it. I have no problem whatsoever with people choosing to use addons to remove WGA from their CDs if they see fit, and I will lend any support needed to those who want to make those addons.

If you have any questions on this policy, feel free to PM me.