[Release] Dariusz Taskill (Quicklaunch) Addon v1.02-070825

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

[Release] Dariusz Taskill (Quicklaunch) Addon v1.02-070825

Post by Mrs Peel » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:59 am

This is my all time favourite process terminator, so I keep it in my Quicklaunch bar for fast access in emergencies.

Please note this installer adds a shortcut in the QuickLaunch bar and another in the Programs/System menu.

Taskill v1.02
LINK: MrsP_Taskiller_QL_Addon_v1.02-070825
MD5: 980E42E534A031A7D145E0BC1113D374
SIZE: 7 KB
Description: Windows process viewer and task killer utility
Op System: Windows 2000, XP Home, XP Pro & 2003 (x86 only)
Builddate: 2005/02/15
Language: English
Title: Taskill
Version: 1.02
License: Freeware
Website: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nulifetv ... /freeware/
Installs to: "%programfiles%\System\Taskiller"
Uninstaller: Removes program files, shortcuts, quicklaunch
Dariusz Stanislawek Taskill
Taskill is a process viewer and killer. It works in GUI or CLI mode and can kill multiple instances of the same task in one go.
I used PC Mag's utility EndItAll for ages and it annoyed me that it would not allow you to kill quite a few running tasks. I also found that if my system was seriously stressing out due to a locked program that EndItAll often took more system resources to start up and list processes than my CPU could handle during the overload.

Then I discovered this quick dirty little task killer by Dariusz Stanislawek - who is one of my favourite programmers next to Mark Russinovich (of Systernals) and NirSofer.

I keep a shortcut for it in the Quick Launch bar for instant access and in the whole time I've been using it I've only had to cold boot as a result of a system lockup twice.

I highly recommend you check out all the other lean clean freeware utils that Dariusz writes (link above) and I hope y'all enjoy this one.

:)

[Edit 2006/03/09] Recoded ALL Mrs Peel Addon Packs for platform and licencing compliance.
[Edit 2006/03/09] Moved exe location and added an extra shortcut for this under Programs/Utilities.
[Edit 2007/07/06] Rebuilt with uninstaller and moved installation directory
[Edit 2007/07/27] Updated uninstaller for XP Home compatibility, changed inf/cab name to decrease chance of filename conflicts
[Edit 2007/07/31] Rebuilt optional components section
[Edit 2007/08/05] Fixed entries file
[Edit 2007/08/09] Fixed problem with exe icon not displaying properly and breaking add/removal program layout (BIG thanks to 5eraph!)
[Edit 2007/08/10] Used rick trick to recode quicklaunch shortcut installer
[Edit 2007/08/25] Added a proper Taskill icon to program directory and tweaked uninstall reg entries to force it to display in Add/Remove programs
Last edited by Mrs Peel on Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:03 am, edited 19 times in total.

avneet25

Post by avneet25 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:30 pm

cool thx u seem to be on the roll..

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:12 pm

avneet25 wrote:cool thx u seem to be on the roll..
LOL I've only got one week left on my summer break to make up an nLite build and get my work PC reinstalled, so I am racing against the clock to get all these addon packs I'm sharing here made to include in it.

I guess you could say I am "making hay while the sun shines" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:37 pm

Silly Southern Hemispherians and your January summer breaks. That being said, NZ looks like an absolutely beautiful country (at least, from what I saw of it in LotR :P). I seriously have to visit that and Australia some time in the future.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:40 pm

All the filming for the Hobbit Shire was done just 20mins over the hill from where I live... so eatcha hearts out peoples :P

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:49 pm

All the filming for the Hobbit Shire was done just 20mins over the hill from where I live... so eatcha hearts out peoples
Its no wonder there are any Kiwis left in NZ.....most of them are in Australia. :wink:
I admit NZ is a picturesque place to visit....as is Australia!
Come on "down under" Ryan.
Last edited by Aussie on Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:54 pm

Aussie wrote:Its no wonder there are any Kiwis left in NZ.....most of them are in Australia. :wink:
A friend of mine was visiting Aussie a few months ago and they asked to look at his passport as he was checking thru Sydney customs. The customs guy asked why he was entering the country and does he have any criminal convictions?

My friend replied, "Oh sorry, I didn't realise you still had to be a convict to emigrate to Australia."

:P

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:25 am

haha :)

avneet25

Post by avneet25 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:26 pm

does this creat only quick launch shortcut. or anyother.. coz i wasnt able to locate another shortcut :(

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:07 pm

avneet25 wrote:does this creat only quick launch shortcut. or anyother.. coz i wasnt able to locate another shortcut :(
Only a quicklaunch shortcut. But I should update my info to make that more apparent. Cheers for headsup.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:08 am

Updated pack to move exe location and added an extra shortcut in Programs/Utilities.

Cheers ;)

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:52 pm

Rebuilt with uninstaller, standardised addon coding and naming convention.

Zyx_Maiden

Post by Zyx_Maiden » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:17 am

Thanks for this one I'll use it for my next build.

benners

Post by benners » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:22 pm

Thanks Mrs P, I'll take a peek.

I had the same prob with multiple task killing especially on infected machines, I came across a task manager replacement by Dimitrios Coutsoumbas here http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/ that has helped me in the past, I have also made an addon that installs it as the default task manager,

I have sent an e-mail asking for permission to distribute the program but I haven't received a reply which is why I haven't released it, if you like the prog I can send you the files but I'm sure you're more qualified than me to create your own :lol:

avneet25

Post by avneet25 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:32 am

benners wrote:Thanks Mrs P, I'll take a peek.

I had the same prob with multiple task killing especially on infected machines, I came across a task manager replacement by Dimitrios Coutsoumbas here http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/ that has helped me in the past, I have also made an addon that installs it as the default task manager,

I have sent an e-mail asking for permission to distribute the program but I haven't received a reply which is why I haven't released it, if you like the prog I can send you the files but I'm sure you're more qualified than me to create your own :lol:
nice could u pm me the link for the addon.. thx

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:47 am

Uninstaller works with XP Home now.....

benners that utility is MOST excellent. I just installed it as a replacement for win task manager and I am loving it. It kills a shitload of stuff that this app does not. Hehehe and I've already made a personal addon for it ;)

benners

Post by benners » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:10 am

Mrs Peel wrote:benners that utility is MOST excellent. I just installed it as a replacement for win task manager and I am loving it. It kills a shitload of stuff that this app does not. Hehehe and I've already made a personal addon for it ;)
Most Excellent </Bill and Ted guitar riff> :D . Glad you like it, but you've made and addon :shock: . never :D

Thanks for your continued hard work on your other addons, I think I will try another e-mail to the author of the prog and see if this one gets through, It should be a default for other peoples installs.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:29 am

benners wrote:....but you've made and addon :shock: . never :D
Hehehehe yeh.... and I even wrote a nifty uninstaller for it so it can revert back to native windoze task manager after removal ;)

Would it surprise you to know that I don't even release half of the addons that I make and use here?

Oh probably not LOL :D

benners

Post by benners » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:41 am

Mrs Peel wrote:Hehehehe yeh.... and I even wrote a nifty uninstaller for it so it can revert back to native windoze task manager after removal ;)

Would it surprise you to know that I don't even release half of the addons that I make and use here?

Oh probably not LOL :D
Nice, I have sent another e-mail to the gmail account in the about box, fingers crossed for a positive response. I'll post back here to let you know if you can post your zillionth addon :D

It wouldn't surprise me about the addons, I bet most are Peeked (that's Mrs Peel tweaked), I bet the Integrator is bolloxed after, gonna have to get Siginet to add sweat beads and an animated tongue that pops out and pants after you have used it. How many do you integrate?.only up to a paltry 33 myself as most of my stuff is repacked with Inno.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:48 am

Oh but I thought YOU were going to release this as an addon yourself? I got way to many that I already don't have time to maintain as it is :shock:

Shssssssssssh don't tell Siggie, but I don't like integrator and never use it. I'm just an nLitened kinda gal myself ;)

benners

Post by benners » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:57 am

Mrs Peel wrote:Oh but I thought YOU were going to release this as an addon yourself? I got way to many that I already don't have time to maintain as it is :shock:

Shssssssssssh don't tell Siggie, but I don't like integrator and never use it. I'm just an nLitened kinda gal myself ;)
Yep I'll release mine, just no uninstall, just a waste of time both of us releasing prolly, because everyone will use yours, track record an' all.

:shock: No integrator, ah well different strokes and all that. * changes mailto: to Nuhi*

Just got an e-mail back from Dimitrios saying he is happy for it to be released, he's got a donation on the way. :D

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:14 am

Yayyyyyyyyyyyy Dimitrios!!!!!

I'll tell you what benners..... would you like me to build it for you (with uninstaller) and then it can be your addon after that and you can be in charge of maintaining/upating it?

PS: Oh, and last count I was slipstreaming at least 130 addons per ISO build - probably it's more like 170 will go into my next build tho ;)

benners

Post by benners » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:22 am

Mrs Peel wrote:Yayyyyyyyyyyyy Dimitrios!!!!!

I'll tell you what benners..... would you like me to build it for you (with uninstaller) and then it can be your addon after that and you can be in charge of maintaining/upating it?)
MMM I don't know are you any good at things like this :lol: Below is my version, If you would be so kind as to edit it to add unistallation or swap it for yours, whichever is easier. I don't feel right marking it as mine if you do all the work.:oops:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ensabahnur ... _v1.50.cab

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:30 pm

LOL I'll let you into a little secret benners..... building addons is the EASY part..... it's the ongoing maintenance of them and keeping up with new software version releases (and ungrateful members nagging you to update your stuff) that is the truly time consuming (and often demoralising) part which drives me crazy.

I would be happier to just build these things and pass them along to other peeps (who have more patience and better people skills than me) to maintain hehehe :P

I'll take a peek at this tomorrow for you and add my 2 cents worth of uninstaller bits ;)

benners

Post by benners » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:39 pm

I know about the ingrates, I have seen the posts on some of your previous addons, think one was maybe your xnview addon.

I have the same problem at work people would rather wait for 4 days until they see you again to ask the question "If I press copy will it copy?." instead of actually trying or Googling.

WRT the addon it hasn't been updated in a while so this may be an easy one :lol: .

Thanks for your time

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:08 am

OK, your pack was a bit messy benners and you didn't include all the package files (which is very important, especially the authors licence) or code it to be compatible with Win2000. So I just posted an uninstallable, multi-platform Mrs Peel release of this here. Cheers ;)

benners

Post by benners » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:14 am

Mrs Peel wrote:OK, your pack was a bit messy benners and you didn't include all the package files (which is very important, especially the authors licence) or code it to be compatible with Win2000. So I just posted an uninstallable, multi-platform Mrs Peel release of this here. Cheers ;)
:oops: not a defence but an exculpatory clarification, it was only my 2nd addon, a personal non distributable one (until permission recieved) and I don't use win2k. :lol:

Critique noted for further addon development and thanks again for your time.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:58 pm

This will hide properly in the "Windows Components Wizard" now....

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:37 am

Fixed entries file....

bober101

Post by bober101 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:45 pm

big fan of ure addons,realy nice work,and kept updated.
but theres just 1 lil problem with this 1,the uninstall string seems to be messed up...
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:59 pm

bober101 wrote:big fan of ure addons,realy nice work,and kept updated.
but theres just 1 lil problem with this 1,the uninstall string seems to be messed up...
I've just tested this on two systems and cannot replicate this error you report.

Are you sure you are not still trying to use the bad version I posted here last week? Please download the current one posted here and hash check it before you use it and let me know how that goes.

I changed the name of the inf/cab and also the windoze uninstaller key (name) in this version because I was worried about system conflicts with the file name "taskill", so I hope there are no other addons in circulation that are using the uninstall key "Taskiller" or "TaskillD"

Also, there's a bunch of uninstall strings I use in my addons, so you are going to need to be more specific than this if you say there is a problem with one of them - even more helpful would be if you paste the line of code that you believe is incorrect.

When reporting addon errors, you also need to include the OS you are using and state whether you used integrator or nLite to slipstream your addon components and be very clear whether this was slipstreamed or just tested on a local install.

And I hope you understand that if you tested it on a local install, then the uninstaller will not work unless you have manually copied the inf file into your system Inf directory. ;)

Cheers

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:09 pm

This is odd, I don't see anything wrong with any of the uninstall entries but I too can confirm the uninstall does do something to add remove dialog.

If anybody figures this out Id love to know

BTW to stop the CMD window here is another command you can use to delete dirs

Code: Select all

[Prog.CleanUp]
HKLM,"%unin_run1%\%unin_name%","Cleanup1",0,"rundll32.exe advpack.dll,DelNodeRunDLL32 %16412%\%prog_dir%"

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:59 am

Ay caramba!!!! Just when I thought I finally had these all sorted for compatibility across all windoze x86 platforms. :shock:

OK, I have spent the entire day messing with this and I am frustrated to report that I still cannot replicate the error at my end, but this reminds of of a similar problem I was having last month....

Remember when peeps were having problems with add/remove programs and my inf cleanup (before Mitsuko sorted out the sysoc updateini issue for us)? Also remember that I was not able to replicate that problem at my end either with my win2k3? Well I am starting to wonder if this is a related issue.

As far as I can tell, this can only be caused by two things.... either we STILL have a problem with the sysoc.inf cleaning up properly OR we might have a problem with the windoze ARP Cache spazzing out cos it can't find it's app reference anymore.

So would you guys mind helping me to try and isolate this some more please?

First of all, lets's see what the updateini thing is doing behind the scenes. Please can you take a snapshot of your sysoc.ini file pre-uninstall and post-uninstall and do a text-compare to see what changes have happened in there.

Secondly, would you please try this test addon for me. I have added some extra code in the uninstall to cleanup the programs entry in the ARP cache. This link only lasts for 20 clicks, so please do NOT download it unless you intend to help me testing.

I've gotta take my fried braincells to bed now, but I will check back for your replies in the morning after I've (hopefully) had a good nights rest.

Thanks for the headsup/help peeps, and thanks for (yet another) Nifty Rick Trick ;)

Mitsuko Aninikkou
Location: The Netherlands (But running US WinXP, in case it comes up)

Post by Mitsuko Aninikkou » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:25 am

I won't download the test addon since I'm not experiencing this problem, but I can say with 99.9% certainty that the sysoc removal works fine. I've been using UpdateInis a lot lately (though I -still- have to post my updated Driver Sweeper addon - have a look at the INF file when I do though, all, I'm proud of it :) ) and the only thing this string could go wrong is if there were two entries in sysoc, both called the same thing and in the same section. (even then it will probably just remove one of them, but UpdateInis can get unpredictable in this case, something I've had to work around a lot) What UpdateInis will do is cut the whole relevant section, remove the line in question, and paste it at the bottom of the file. So the order of the sections will be changed, but neither inf nor ini files care about this.

Edit: by the way, after seeing ricktendo's tip I did some digging and here are the flags you can use on DelNodeRunDLL32, along with what I figured out about them through trial and error:

0 (default)            Deletes the specified folder (along with all files
                       and subdirs)
1 ADN_DEL_IF_EMPTY     Deletes the specified folder only if it is empty
2 ADN_DONT_DEL_SUBDIRS Deletes all files in the specified folder, then 
                       deletes it only if it is empty
4 ADN_DONT_DEL_DIR     Deletes all files and subdirs in the specified 
                       folder, but not the folder itself
6 (2+4)                Deletes all files in the specified folder
8 ADN_DEL_UNC_PATHS    Unknown

Mitsuko Aninikkou

Post by Mitsuko Aninikkou » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:16 pm

To everyone who's been experiencing this problem: please try my Driver Sweeper addon and tell me if it causes it as well. It's possible (though unlikely) that Mrs Peel didn't copy my sysoc code correctly, and anyway I want to know if this problem effects my addon. Although my inf is almost completely different in most respects, I do use Mrs Peel's uninstaller as a template for my own.

Edit: Hey, check out HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Oc Manager\Subcomponents ! Could that be causing this problem?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:33 pm

Mrs Peel and I found a solution to the problem 14 hours ago. ;)

I'll let her explain it, but rest assured that it's not related to what you're talking about, Mitsuko Aninikkou, and is a very simple fix that only appears to be necessary for this particular addon because of the way the program's icon seems to be stored in the executable.

Mitsuko Aninikkou

Post by Mitsuko Aninikkou » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:33 pm

Aah, cool, looking forward to her explanation. Still, I think I'll update my addon (well, not today) so the uninstaller doesn't leave anything behind. Things I found upon inspecting the registry and searching my computer (well, a virtual PC actually, my nLited installation doesn't seem to create most of this):
1.) In HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Oc Manager\Subcomponents, a DWORD value called "dsweeper" (which seems to indicate whether the "Optional Component" Driver Sweeper is installed or not)
2.) In HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu2\Programs, a key called "Driver Sweeper" containing a REG_BINARY value called "Order"
3.) In %UserProfile%\..\Default User\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch, a redundant Driver Sweeper shortcut
4.) In %WinDir%\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch, -another- redundant shortcut

I'm going to hazard a guess that a lot of addons will leave similar traces, especially on a normal Windows XP installation.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:42 pm

Yes 5eraph that makes sense... The icon is that huge black box messing up the add/rem dialog. (good eye)

If you want you can try this. Using a alternate uninstall icon from shell32, kinda like:

HKLM,"%unin_path%\%unin_name%","DisplayIcon",,"%11%\shell32.dll,-200"
Thanks for the DelNodeRunDLL32 flags Mitsuko Aninikkou, code65536 also filled me in on them :) http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=56969#56969
Last edited by ricktendo64 on Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:55 pm

Mitsuko Aninikkou wrote:4.) In %WinDir%\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch, -another- redundant shortcut
OH and thanks for this, I already delete the quicklauch Default User Profile shortcut for my sidebar addon during uninstall, did not know there was this extra one laying around also

Nice find Mitsuko Aninikkou :)

BTW mrs peel you can use ProfileItems instead of CopyFiles for QuickLaunch shortcuts.
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5069

Mitsuko Aninikkou

Post by Mitsuko Aninikkou » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:24 pm

Aah, comments in microsoft's advpub, heh. I got the flags from -Wine's- advpub, which didn't have the commentary ;) Good to know about the 8 flag, since it doesn't seem to effect normal operation maybe one should always add it unless you want to specifically prevent it from working on network drives..
that would make the combined flags the following, if I'm not mistaken:

8 (default)            Deletes the specified folder (along with all
                        files and subdirs) 
 9 ADN_DEL_IF_EMPTY     Deletes the specified folder only if it is empty 
10 ADN_DONT_DEL_SUBDIRS Deletes all files in the specified folder, then 
                        deletes it only if it is empty 
12 ADN_DONT_DEL_DIR     Deletes all files and subdirs in the specified 
                        folder, but not the folder itself 
14 (2+4)                Deletes all files in the specified folder 

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:21 pm

5eraph wrote:Mrs Peel and I found a solution to the problem 14 hours ago. ;)

I'll let her explain it, but rest assured that it's not related to what you're talking about, Mitsuko Aninikkou, and is a very simple fix that only appears to be necessary for this particular addon because of the way the program's icon seems to be stored in the executable.
5eraph is being modest. I never woulda figured this out in a million years if it wasn't for him :P

I don't have much more to add to what he already said, except to confirm (with GREAT RELIEF) that it was a problem isolated to THIS addon only where the embedded icon in the program exe was somehow corrupting the graphical layout of the add/remove programs applet.

The icon Darius uses is a 2-bit monochrome icon and since this is quite an old program, I am guessing that this is a display format that is not supported by ARP in the last several versions of windoze.... so.....

I thought I would try and be clever and try to use resource hacker to mod the exe by extracting the icon, updating it to a more compatible icon format and replacing the original, but alas I found I was unable to do this without breaking the exe.

Lucky for us, 5eraph showed me a really cool trick where I added a new line of code in the uninstaller section which forces the ARP entry to use a generic windows icon instead.

So here you are peeps, a fixed version has been posted and please direct all your thanks to my favourite super-sleuth 5eraph ;)

Mitsuko Aninikkou

Post by Mitsuko Aninikkou » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:36 pm

Good to hear it, Mrs Peel. Having gained a little experience with updating release posts lately, I can imagine how relieved you must be. By the way, I'd love to hear what you think of my updated Driver Sweeper addon, with its configuration script :) (shameless plug, I know, but I really want to hear from some other addon makers on it as I worked quite hard on the inf and I'm pretty sure it does some things no one's ever (bothered to) figure out before)

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:09 pm

Mitsuko Aninikkou wrote:.... but I really want to hear from some other addon makers on it as I worked quite hard on the inf and I'm pretty sure it does some things no one's ever (bothered to) figure out before)
Oh if only I was so skilled at this stuff to be able to recognise the genius of such things when I see them, but I am ashamed to say that I am not :(

The only thing I am the Mistress of is small, simple addon packs of small simple portable freeware utilities and I have very few inf coding (or installation skills) beyond what is barely necessary to implement that - all of which have been learned from other expert members here such as Boooggy, Xable, Kel, Rick and 5eraph (who has bailed me out of trouble so many times lately he might have to change his nickname to Mr Steed LOL!).

Sometimes I think the only real talent I am blessed with is an obsessive compulsive drive towards perfection in whatever I do - which becomes a curse when it is directed towards silly little things that do not really matter OR I find that I cannot "leave well enough alone" (see my recent batch of entries file fuckups as a testament to that fact LOL!)

If Driver Sweeper was a utility that I had ever actually used then I might be better equipped to recognise the genius of your installer/uninstaller for this, but it is not something I have a need for. I'll tell you what would seriously impress me tho, since many have tried and failed.....

And that is to make a proper addon for the following two apps (which I DO use all the time):

1. Motherboard Monitor, so that it identifies your motherboard automatically during install OR can be preconfigged with the inf to identify it and define settings (which would unfortunately require a pack that is specific to each users personal hardware profile)

2. DAEMON Tools - the old 3.47 version - with the axdTools contextmenuhandler extension preinstalled (I have heard that installing the drivers for this is a bloody nightmare)

Thanks anyway for your kind words, as much as I don't think I deserve them hehehe :wink:

Mitsuko Aninikkou

Post by Mitsuko Aninikkou » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:14 am

Mrs Peel wrote:1. Motherboard Monitor, so that it identifies your motherboard automatically during install OR can be preconfigged with the inf to identify it and define settings (which would unfortunately require a pack that is specific to each users personal hardware profile)
It's unlikely that an automatic configuration is possible, unless the inf can call upon something in the program itself to do so, however using self-definable DIRIDs and expanding the technique I use to let users configure my Driver Sweeper addon, it should (with a lot of work) be possible to let the user configure the addon through a number of questions. However, I'm far from ready to take on a task that complex - my next step is to have the user decide where he/she wants to install Driver Sweeper (the DS addon being my playground for all this) through the configuration script. I'm also considering changing how that script works somewhat, and that might lead to all sorts of problems (though it will be better in the end, and save some space in the inf).
Mrs Peel wrote:2. DAEMON Tools - the old 3.47 version - with the axdTools contextmenuhandler extension preinstalled (I have heard that installing the drivers for this is a bloody nightmare)
Without having a look at this all I can say is that it should be possible with the help of some good installation monitors and a lot of Inf expertise - not sure if I have enough of that.

boooggy

Post by boooggy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:30 am

the problem with daemon tools is the virtual driver that its adding it.....
i tried to make it work but i cant make that stupid driver to get installed.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:45 am

I tried daemon tools addon also, but I keep getting an error that the .EXE was not installed correctly.

BTW I used SVCPACK to intstall the SPTD driver and INF to install daemon tools, the INF is the part that failed

bober101

Post by bober101 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:50 pm

sorry for the non detailed info on my prob mrs. Peel ,but yet again, im happy uve updated, i know alot of ure addons are beeing used and you dont always get the 'thx' thats you deserv,i just hope that ure nukking of ure non appreciated addons will make people realise the effort. so.. n e ways ,thx! ,since ive had my internet cut i seem to have a very different view of the things we have taken for granted.
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:06 am

Minor tweak to make icon look pretty in Add/Remove programs applet.....

xms3500

Post by xms3500 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:04 pm

Thanks Mrs Peel, been looking for something like this. :D

larciel

Post by larciel » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:57 pm

another fabulous util. thanks!