Driver's From Cd Addon Pack

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
keytotime

Driver's From Cd Addon Pack

Post by keytotime » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:40 pm

This is an addon pack that allow's to add drivers to your XPCD. Just Put the driver's in a folder called DRIVERS in the root of your XPCD. Then put all your drivers in that folder. That's it.

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/35/

Code: Select all

XPCD\Drivers
XPCD\I386
http://addons.ryanvm.net/keytotime/DRIVERCDADDONKTT.CAB
Last edited by keytotime on Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

john2003

Post by john2003 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:00 pm

keytotime.......this is great I was looking for a solution for drivers on cd without using bashat the sneakies packs. Nothing really against the project it just slows down the install. Very good idea keytotime.

Yurek3

Post by Yurek3 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:35 pm

keytotime

You can expline more or write some guide

i put in Dirivers directory for exomple ATI driver or other yes and rhis will work

yurek3

rgreen83

Post by rgreen83 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:30 am

Also do all files need to be at root of \drivers or can they retain their original folder structure?

keytotime

Post by keytotime » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:48 am

they can retain there original structure

ex
drivers\ATI
drivers\SIS
drivers\Nvidia
drivers\Cmedia

Fenix_Remind

Post by Fenix_Remind » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:55 pm

Does this work on a RIS server so that the client machine will already have the drivers installed?

Or am I going to continue screwing around with the $oem$\1$\Drivers folder that doesn't seem to work with the .SIF file?

keytotime

Post by keytotime » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:08 pm

No idea

nite0859

Re: Driver's From Cd Addon Pack

Post by nite0859 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:45 pm

keytotime wrote:This is an addon pack that allow's to add drivers to your XPCD. Just Put the driver's in a folder called DRIVERS in the root of your XPCD. Then put all your drivers in that folder. That's it.

XPCD\Drivers
XPCD\I386
http://addons.ryanvm.net/keytotime/DRIVERCDADDONKTT.CAB
I don't understand.

Why couldn't I just create a 'Drivers' folder on my CD and do this all manually ?

What are the advantages of using this as opposed to BTS's driverpack methods ? Is this similar to using BTS methods ?

Will the 'Driver' directory and all of its subfolders be scanned upon initial installation for a more suitable driver than what came with original xpcd ?

Will this install massstorage devices into the txtsetup.sif and dosnet.inf diles ?

Can this be combined along with the BTS method ? BTS already creates a directory in $oem$\$1\d with a number of subfolders using method 1.

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:32 am

forgive me in advance if this is a stupid question.. i assume (i know, bad habit) from reading the presetup.cmd file in the .cab that this works by renaming/replacing setup.exe.

so then.. something like nvidia's forceware driver would need to be run once to create the "unpacked" file to add to this directory.. or am i missing something? can drivers that just use a .inf be loaded in the \drivers folder as well? if so would they go in the root of \drivers or in a sub-folder (like \drivers\netcard ).

next question... in the presetup.cmd file it has the following

%CDDRIVE%\Drivers\SetDevicePath.exe %CDDRIVE%\Drivers
start %CDDRIVE%\Drivers\WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe
will these files be somehow put in the drivers folder? as the .cab file does not seem to have them included.. sorry to be a pain but this sounds very interesting.. IF i can figure it out that is :)

thanks in advance for any answers

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:29 am

Basically what Pyrons Method does is replace the setup.exe file in your i386 folder with a modified one which calls presetup.cmd, the original setup.exe is renamed prior to placing the new setup.exe in i386, so that presetup.cmd can rename them both and point to your drivers prior to continuing setup. (Up to recently, it was a way to replace WinNT.sif for doing installs for those who didn't have a need for a fully unattended installation, but it seems that Microsoft has broken something lately and it's not working correctly, at least for me.)

What would otherwise be done in WinNT.sif by using "OemPnpDrivers = "Drivers\Raid, Drivers\Motherboard, etc..."", is done using this method to automatically look into "Drivers" for all files inside it even in recursive directories. So if you place files in "Drivers\Raid\Promise" and in "Drivers\Raid\Sil" it will find them both. Something that wouldn't be done in WinNT.sif without using "Drivers\Raid\Promise, Drivers\Raid\Sil..." and was to extensive and sometimes didn't work from CD. This method, when it works, will also allow you to install unsigned drivers that otherwise wouldn't get installed during setup. (Microsoft broke the way this works too recently and it may or may not work for you, you may have to use Ryan's SFC_OS hack and skip the part about WatchDriverSigningPolicy altogether to get the drivers to install. Not skipping the WDSP portion may cause errors during install when using Ryan's SFC_OS.dll file.)

Keep in mind this will not work with Raid drivers that are needed to boot the disk with though. You'll still have to put those drivers into the i386 folder and integrate them using the plethoria of instructions that are on the net for them. You must only use drivers which have an INF to install them it wont see anything else. So if you're needing, for example the ATI control panel and it's not been converted to be installed using an INF, then it wont get installed. On the other hand, I've not had any problems with it installing nVidia's control panels using this method. Also, if you add your Raid drivers to the i386 folder you can also use this method to install them with that method so that they are found when Windows is installing the drivers into the operating system. You don't really need the TxtSetup folder using this method, as Windows will not see it and it can cause errors.

How I do mine is put them in the following sets:
  • Drivers
    • 000_Raid
      001_Motherboard
      002_Sound
      003_Keyboard
      004_Mouse...
so they are looked for in the correct order. Although if your only doing one computer and/or don't have to worry about using a ton of different drivers that would otherwise conflict with one another, you can always place them all into the Drivers folder without seperating them, so you have your Raid, Motherboard, Sound, etc drivers all in the Drivers folder.

You have to remember that Microsoft no longer supports these CD methods for installations as they have since released the OEM OPK, which is what they now reccommend using to install all drivers from CD. I am currently working on learning this OPK method myself now since it's more readily available to us now. You have to sign up to be a system installer but that's free and is required to obtain this software, without the purchase of a 3 pack or more of the OEM versions of Windows software. From what I understand using this OPK you can install Windows XP and later "flavors" easier, we'll see just how easy it is when I finally figure it all out. Basically you're building a WinPE disk to install the drivers and operating system with. Now if I can just obtain a copy of the OPK for Windows XP x64, since it's not possible to get it with a single copy nor the trail version, to try that one as well.
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:57 am

sounds interesting... IF it worked correctly :(

oh well.. for now i will just not use it :)

i wonder if there is a update for it in the works?

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:34 am

Like I said it used to work for me, it just hasn't lately, your results may vary. The problem I've found is that Windows isn't looking for OEM drivers, even if you give the path to them, unless you use the WinNT.sif file to tell it to.

The only rock solid way I've found that works is if you use the command in WinNT.sif that tells Windows to look for the OEM drivers, you don't have to use the path to the drivers in WinNT.sif only tell Windows that they are there, so that when presetup.cmd runs it will tell Windows where to look for the drivers. But using WinNT.sif defeats the purpose of using this method. If you don't first tell Windows to look for the OEM files, (lately it hasn't looked for them for me and is why I believe they broke something,) then Windows wont look for them, and I don't know how to tell Windows in presetup.cmd to look for the OEM files, the only way I know to tell it to look for them is to use the WinNT.sif file. If someone knows how to do it from presetup.cmd, please let us know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:14 am

It cannot work from presetup.cmd as I've explained somewhat before in the killed thread. Presetup.cmd is run at T-39, well after the point when Mass Storage drivers are needed in Textmode Setup.

You must also slipstream the needed drivers directly into I386 for them to be used during Textmode setup if you wish to avoid adding entries to WINNT.SIF. You can learn a lot by looking into how Bâshrat does this in DriverPacks BASE. But there's no way to avoid editing files. WINNT.SIF might actually be easier.

If you know how to make a true addon then you already have a very good start at integrating Textmode drivers. Multiple file edits are needed. And some of them you're already familiar with. Instead of making INFs you'll be dissecting them to place the pieces in other files.

Just remember that in order to test your newly integrated driver you'll need a live system with the actual hardware.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:24 am

@5eraph, you are correct when it comes to using Raid/SATA drivers to a point, as you can still use this method, if you're NOT using them to boot the computer with and IF they have an INF to do the install.

As far as all the other drivers goes, as long as they install using an INF you can use this method, if they don't use an INF, then you'll have to use another method to install them.

Also, if you're doing TXTMODE, (RAID/SATA,) drivers, once you have the .sys files integrated into i386, (the only files that are needed during TXTMODE setup,) and have them also called using TXTSETUP.SIF and DOSNET.INF, they will work also during TXTMODE. The rest of the files, that you would normally leave in the $OEM$\TXTMODE folder, don't have to be there because they aren't looked for until Windows reboots and starts installing from the GUI mode, which doesn't start until after the presetup.cmd runs and tells Windows to look for the drivers in your Drivers folder, (wherever you chose to put it.) If you have no need to boot to the RAID/SATA drives, then you don't need them to be in the i386 folder nor do you need to call them from TXTSETUP.SIF nor DOSNET.INF because they will still be installed using this method for drives that are connected when you install the rest of the drivers, as Windows will look for them when it's installing the rest of it's drivers.

I know this to be fact because I've done them this way several times before, you only need to tell Windows that the RAID/SATA drivers are there, using TXTSETUP.SIF and DOSNET.INF, when your booting to them, if your not booting to them you don't need them to start with. So if your booting to an IDE drive then you don't need your RAID/SATA drivers unless your IDE drive is on a RAID controller. All other drivers that use an INF file to install, can be installed this way, assuming it will work at all because Windows isn't being told to look for "OEM" drivers unless you specifically use the command in WinNT.SIF to tell it to. Once that command has been issued, Windows will look in your Drivers folder for the drivers instead of using it's own drivers.

It used to look for them in the $OEM$\$1\Drivers folder when being run from CD automatically, but Microsoft broke something and now it doesn't automatically look for the "OEM" drivers unless you tell it that you're using OEM drivers using WinNT.SIF, the problem was that if you used sub-folders in the $OEM$\$1\Drivers folder you had to specify them in WinNT.SIF and you were limited, (by character spacing,) to how many you could put into that line, using this method you're not limited to how many folders/sub-folders you can point to.

If all your doing is building this for a single computer, you can put all your drivers into the Drivers folder and call them all from there unless you have two components that use similar drivers but are different, such as the case with some RAID/SATA drivers. In those cases if you combine and modify their TXTSETUP.OEM's to show which folder you put them into and they will be found. And since you're using WinNT.SIF, you don't need this method at all, unless your also trying to bypass the Driver Signing Policy, which you can do by just using Ryan's SFC_OS.dll to install unsigned, (beta,) drivers. If your using Signed, (Released,) drivers then you wont need to use the SFC_OS.dll at all. (Yes I know companies, such as nVidia, releases drivers that are unsigned, but those drivers aren't "officially released" drivers, they are beta drivers that just happen to be good working drivers in most cases, hence the reason some people will want to use the hacks to the Driver Signing Policy to install those drivers.)

The problem I have found, using Ryan's SFC_OS.DLL hack is sometimes it will cause Windows to bluescreen during install, saying that it can't continue because setup's catalog file isn't found. Using this method, I've found that it will continue without any errors, (other than setup.log reporting that the catalogs aren't there,) and when you get to the desktop the Driver Signing Policy is already reset so it's not deactivated thus there is no reason to replace the SFC_OS.DLL file afterwards or use the registry file to turn it back on, as Windows does this automatically after the reboot before you start the OOBE or get to the desktop initially if you done the install fully unattended.

In any case, Microsoft only supports installing drivers from WinPE when doing a CD based install now, according to the revised OPK.ref that's in the OPK thats available from oem.microsoft.com.

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:02 pm

can this work ground b used in some sort of way for deploying lang too
winnt32 /s:%SetupFiles% /unattend:%AnswerFile% /copysource:lang

Kingskawn

Post by Kingskawn » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:09 am

Thanks for this :wink:

A question: I've got a WinXP cd made with nLite so if I wanna put drivers in it is simply making a DRIVERS folder into the root of the cd and put the files that you put in here?

Or do I have to follow the lines of this post?

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=12566

This is a cab file. Can I just integrate it in my windows nLite configuration by adding it like it was an 'update pack'?

Kingskawn

Post by Kingskawn » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:55 am

This is a cab file. Can I just integrate it in my windows nLite configuration by adding it like it was an 'update pack'?

Spiritus

Post by Spiritus » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:39 am

@ Keytotime
This is an addon pack that allow's to add drivers to your XPCD. Just Put the driver's in a folder called DRIVERS in the root of your XPCD. Then put all your drivers in that folder. That's it.
WatchDriversigningpolicy.exe also must in "%XPCD%Drivers\" Folder :wink:

Kingskawn

Post by Kingskawn » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:26 am

Spiritus wrote: WatchDriversigningpolicy.exe also must in "%XPCD%Drivers" Folder :wink:
And "presetup.cmd" and "SetDevicePath.exe" ??

Is it ok if I just put "WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe" in de Drivers folder?

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:06 pm

I'm pretty sure you can just use as is, though that's only a guess and probably a bad one.

I generally tend to follow this route myself. So far, 47 completed installs under that method with zero difficulties. (I found I preffer leaving the drivers uncompressed.....it may take more space on the CD/DVD, but it's less mess on the HDD to clean up afterwards, and well......RW DVD's exist for a reason.)

AFAIK, WatchDriverSigningPolicy is only needed if you intend to have it validate the signature of drivers that you are installing. If your're installing un-signed or modified drivers and are using "UnattendedMode = DefaultHide" in WinNT.SIF, then policy signing shouldn't be an issue.

It does seem that the files in this cab are related to original Pyron method of drivers from cd, so I don't understand why SetDevicePath.exe isn't present. (Presetup.cmd is present though.)

Spiritus

Post by Spiritus » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:33 am

Sir Zacam, Actually I post this comment after test. Xp shows error that WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe not present in Drivers folder.
And "presetup.cmd" and "SetDevicePath.exe" ??

Is it ok if I just put "WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe" in de Drivers folder?
@Kingskawn : Not Sure, coz I put both the files (Setdevicepath.exe and Watchdricersigningpolicy.exe) in %Drivers% folder after this error. :wink: Presetup.cmd not required in drivers folder.

@ Sir Zacam :
AFAIK, WatchDriverSigningPolicy is only needed if you intend to have it validate the signature of drivers that you are installing. If your're installing un-signed or modified drivers and are using "UnattendedMode = DefaultHide" in WinNT.SIF, then policy signing shouldn't be an issue.
I use winnt.sif with all above conditions but still the error was there. I think this is the reason
%CDDRIVE%\Drivers\SetDevicePath.exe %CDDRIVE%\Drivers
start %CDDRIVE%\Drivers\WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe

Forgive me, English is not my first or Second language

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:19 pm

Do you have the environment condition set for the what defines what variable %CDDRIVE% is supposed to become? If you don't, then it doesn't know where to look to find what/where %CDDRIVE% is supposed to be.

Ergo why I preffer to use the method I posted. It may not suit everyone as well as, but I find I can grok it far more easily and use it more effectively.

zenmachine

Post by zenmachine » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:02 am

I'll second Spiritus' WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe problem...