[FIXED] Warning! Please Read!

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
Siginet
Site Admin

[FIXED] Warning! Please Read!

Post by Siginet » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:02 am

There is a limitation of the integrator/windows/ and autoit.

Basically it is a limitation in the amount of data that can be read from one section in an ini file at a time.

I guess only about 32-33KB of data can be read from a section of an ini file. Which is fine for most addons. But my WINNTUPG removal addon uses a lot and the Tour removal addon does as well. They are fine by themselves... but the integrator gathers all of the info into one huge ini file before it processes everything. Which sounded like a great idea untill now. For most addons that are made this should be fine... but a lot of these new removal addons that have been made are creating huge sections in the ini. :( So the integrator begins to process everything but when it gets to the full [obsolete_files] section of the accumilated addons... it is choking half way through it. What this means is me and Paul_365 are going to have to come up with a plan to fix this limitation.

So for now... if you are going to be using a lot of addons... or if you are using some of the big removal addons... try to do them in chunks. Maybe do half of your addons with your updatepack. Then do a second run with only the other half of addons.

Like I said... most users will not have an issue because most addons should not cause an issue... but it is a limitation that I am now aware of and I promise to look into it and try to fix it for v1.2.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

zzzz

Post by zzzz » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:10 am

So, only recent removal addons need that much in the ini file?

And I can integrate add-ons later to the slipstreamed image? (infinite times?) cool! never knew that :D.

armond

Post by armond » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:32 am

OK, There is another bad thing in the newest version of the integrator. It doesn't work with keyboard any more! I'm knowing some blind users that are using your integrator. Please fix this problem also.
Thanks,
Armond.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:33 am

Mainly the removal addons are the issue... or if you are using a huge list of addons you may come accross the limit.

And yes you can integrate as many times as you want. Just make sure your source and destination are the same so the integrator knows not to copy files over your existing files. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:05 am

I don't use Integrator myself, only nLite, but I saw it suggested recently over at Nuhi's place that it would be a good idea to have an option to install addons in several stages so that you can prioritise the order which things get slipstreamed into the rest of your OS. I have no idea how integrator works, but as a concept would this be something which might be possible to implement which might provide a workaround for this issue mentioned here?

Cheers

keytotime

Post by keytotime » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:27 am

Maybe you can make a check for an the inf's. For example Removal 1 has 230 entries, removal 2 has 240 and removal 3 has 70, and say the maximum is 300, so it'll do removal 1 + removal 2 is over 300, then try removal 1 + removal 3 is 300 intergrate removal 1 + 2. Then restart and do removal 2.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:50 am

Siginet and I discussed the issue over IM last night. The consensus we reached was to have the integrator check the size of the section in the INI before each addon writes to it and create a second section if the size it too great. Should be a simple and completely transparent workaround.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Xable

Post by Xable » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:53 am

I don`t know if this info is just related to delphi or not but
A quote from here
The TIniFile class uses the Windows API which imposes a limit of 64KB on INI files. If you need to store more than 64KB of data, you should use the TMemIniFile instead, it does not have a limit of 64KB.

Another problem might rise if you have a section with more than 8K value. The ReadSection method uses the GetPrivateProfileString API function with the 8K buffer.
From what i can make out sections have a 32k limit and the whole file has a 64k limit.
Perhaps using a *.txt file instead of an *.ini file would bypass the limitations, or even storing the info in a temp key in the registry.

Again another delphi Link which might be helpfull.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:47 pm

The 64KB limit is in win9x OSes. Not in any NT os. So... the integrator is not very compatable with 9x it looks. But that is not a big deal to me. If someone is trying to advanced stuff like we're doing... they should be out of the stone age by now anyways. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Xable

Post by Xable » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:00 pm

heh so it`s just the 32k section limit then that`s the prob.

I`m sure you`ll work around it.. whatever you figure out to do.

pyroman1

Quick question

Post by pyroman1 » Fri May 12, 2006 10:02 am

Since version 1.2.2 is out, has this issue been resolved?

Thanks!
God forbid we should ever be 20 years without such a rebellion…What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is its natural manure. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Xable

Post by Xable » Fri May 12, 2006 11:18 am

I believe it has but you`d better wait for official confirmation.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri May 12, 2006 1:00 pm

Yes it has somewhat been resolved. For the areas of the entries files that tend to build up too much the integrator processes imediatley instead of processing them all at once.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri May 12, 2006 5:53 pm

Let's lock this thread then.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357