[Tool] SysInternals Addon Pack Builder 3.6 - 06.01.2009

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
choman

Post by choman » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:14 am

Feature Request:

Is it possible for this builder to produce a 7z file in lieu of a cab file (or maybe as an alternate build option).

odyn1982

Post by odyn1982 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:01 pm

- Added to download list: AutoLogon, Hex2dec, LoadOrder, NewSID, RegJump
- Added to pack: makecab.exe and cabarc.exe

ton80

Post by ton80 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:09 am

Thx but need to fix link for Autologon:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysint ... logon.mspx
Ton80

Kiki Burgh

Post by Kiki Burgh » Tue May 01, 2007 6:21 pm

hi! tried creating the addon 3x (Custom ... with only selected files) and i got this FGCBA error in all attempts ... always with autologo.exe even if i didn't choose it for inclusion in the addon ... thanks!
-KIKI-

odyn1982

Post by odyn1982 » Tue May 01, 2007 7:21 pm

Thanks for finding this bug.I don't know how did this happen but it's my fault that i didn't check all custom mode in build 3.4 :/ Now it's working fine. Grab new 3.4.1 ;)

Kiki Burgh

Post by Kiki Burgh » Tue May 01, 2007 10:25 pm

you're welcome :) i'll be trying it out again ...
-KIKI-

kelaniz

Post by kelaniz » Wed May 02, 2007 4:42 pm

That's weird. I created an addon with 3.4 2 days ago and didn't get any errors and, even including Autologon. :)

Kel
-KZ

Professional writer/musician/lunatic on closed course. Do not attempt.

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Wed May 02, 2007 4:59 pm

3.4.TWO??

odyn1982

Post by odyn1982 » Wed May 02, 2007 5:18 pm

These errors were only after removing Autolon or Autoruns in custom mode (typos in start.cmd file) not in default mode ;)

kelaniz

Post by kelaniz » Fri May 04, 2007 6:51 pm

newsposter wrote:3.4.TWO??
Ack, sorry about that. I meant to say 3.4 two days ago :)

odyn: Love the addon. It even has a pretty good second use as instructional material. That massive CMD file is a great all-in-one resource for the variety of stuff you can do in a batch file. :)

Kel
-KZ

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Fri May 04, 2007 10:56 pm

kelaniz wrote:odyn: Love the addon. It even has a pretty good second use as instructional material. That massive CMD file is a great all-in-one resource for the variety of stuff you can do in a batch file. :)
I agree... Ive learned allot from your CMD file odyn ;)

LAN-MAN

Post by LAN-MAN » Sat May 05, 2007 8:46 am

the program is giving me an error [ proxy check error ? ]

kelaniz

Post by kelaniz » Sat May 05, 2007 6:03 pm

I have another question I thought I knew the answer to, but obviously don't.. :)

What do you need to change in SYSINTER.INF to get the Sysinternals Start Menu folder and shortcuts to be created in
Start Menu\Sysinternals

Instead of: Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Sysinternals (Or Start Menu\Programs\Sysinternals, whichever one this addon maker uses by default)? I used to think it was done by changing the Subdir in each shortcut entry to something like this:

Code: Select all

[AccessEnum.AddShortcut]
Name       =AccessEnum
CmdLine    =16422,"SysInternals",AccessEnum.exe
SubDir     =..\Sysinternals
WorkingDir =16422,"SysInternals"
InfoTip    =Allows full control over security and file permissions
But in this INF, I see two sections, [DestinationDirs] and [SysInt.DelDirs]. I'm guessing [Sysint.DelDirs] is used by the uninstalling. But what does [DestinationDirs] do? Specifically this entry:

[DestinationDirs]
SysInterlnk = 16407,%Shorts%

When the previous change didn't work, I restored the SubDir lines, and then tried changing SysInterLnk and Shorts:

SysInterlnk = 16406,%Shorts%

And at the end of the INF...

Shorts ="Sysinternals"

But the shortcuts are still created in C:\Profiles\All Users\Start Menu\Programs :(

I have this issue with a few other addons where I want the create shortcuts in the Start Menu root. But in the other addons, there's usually just one or two shortcuts and no subdirectory. There's also no DestinationDirs entry, or reference to any other folder in those addons. In those, I simply changed the SubDir line as follows:

[TestApp.AddShortcut]
Name =TestApp
CmdLine =16422,"TestApp",test.exe
SubDir =..\TestApp
WorkingDir =16422,"TestApp"
InfoTip =An App that tests.

That works 90% of the time, but I'm pretty sure this can't be the best way to go about this. :)

Any ideas what I did wrong? I'd be very grateful.

Kel
-KZ

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Sat May 05, 2007 9:15 pm

I think the Periods are messing you up, remove them you don't need em for Start->All Programs Shortcuts... The only reason you might need em is for creating Desktop or QuickLaunch shortcuts. (look at my Sidebar or Flashget addon for a quick refrence on Quicklaunch Profileitems shortcuts)
[TestApp.AddShortcut]
Name =TestApp
CmdLine =16422,"TestApp",test.exe
SubDir =..\TestApp
WorkingDir =16422,"TestApp"
InfoTip =An App that tests.
The OSR PDF guide is a good guide to use for finding the Destination Dir Numbers for special folders

If you want to change the location of the shortcut subfolder all you have to do is remove the word ACCESSORIES from the subdirs of the ProfileItems and also the strings sections for later uninstall
[ZoomIt.AddShortcut]
Name =ZoomIt
CmdLine =16422,"SysInternals",ZoomIt.exe
SubDir =Accessories\Sysinternals
And for the uninstall edit the strings
[Strings]
Shorts ="Accessories\Sysinternals"

kelaniz

Post by kelaniz » Sat May 05, 2007 11:04 pm

Rick: Figured the periods were a problem. For some reason, that actually works in other addons. :) Thanks for the link to that PDF. I'd been using a web version of that, but this is much handier.

When you mentioned I don't need the periods for Start-> All Programs shortcuts. I'm not really sure what location you meant by "Start-> All Programs" Could be AllUsers\Start Menu\Programs, \Start Menu\Programs, or AllUsers\Start Menu :)

Just to clarify: I'm trying to get these guys to install to \Start menu\Sysinternals - Not \Start Menu\Programs\Sysinternals

This addon and the Nirsoft 1.5 addon both confuse me, because, of 110 addons I'm using, those two are the only ones that specify both a DestinationDirs and Subdir properties. Using one or the other, it's easy, but when both are specified, it seems to change the rules, and which entry takes precedence, or if they work together is what's tripping me up.

Here's what I mean... Pasted below are the relevant lines from this addon's INF. There's DestinationDirs, Strings, and SysInterlnk sections and one Addshortcut entry.

[DestinationDirs]
Programs       = 16422,"SysInternals"
SysInterlnk    = 16407,%Shorts%

[SysInterlnk]                               
AccessEnum.lnk                                    

[AccessEnum.AddShortcut]
Name       =AccessEnum
SubDir     =Sysinternals

[Strings]
Sysinter2 ="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Sysinternals"
Shorts    ="Sysinternals"
I thought I could just change
SysInterlnk = 16407,%Shorts%
to: SysInterlnk = 16406,%Shorts%
Since 16406,%Shorts% = %allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Sysinternals

which is where I want' em to go :)

But then I saw the "Shorts" string = Sysinternals, and it's present in each shortcut's Subdir line. Unless "Subdir" is ignored because the SysInterlnk path is specified, (or replaced by the SysInterlnk path) then all the links might be created in AllUsers\Start Menu\Sysinternals\Sysinternals

In the end, I *only* changed SysInterlnk to 16406,%Shorts% and for some reason it put all the shortcuts in AllUsers\Start Menu\Programs\Sysinternals. Then I decided that could only happen if the INF was actually reading each shortcut's Subdir value, and ignoring the SysInterlnk = 16406,%Shorts% line. (Too many S's..pant..pant..)

I tried several ways, starting from a fresh INF each time: First, only changing SysInterlnk. Second, removing the %shorts% from each shortcut's Subdir. Third was what I previously posted (changing shorts path to ..\Sysinternals)

So, now I have no idea. If all else fails, I can add this to my post-install mega-move batch file. But my goal is to remove things from it as I learn a better way to do it. I'm not giving up just yet, but I have no idea what the deal is.

Also, Not sure if it's my build, or the nature of this addon, but I couldn't get it to install/reinstall using the Explorer-Install context menu. It appeared to succeed, even added an autostart for grpconv, but files and shortcuts wouldn't recreate, even when I manually deleted them. So, for all three attempts, I had to make new builds, which was just too much fun for words. :) You'd think after making ~980 builds in 6 months I wouldn't mind. :)

Gonna check out Rick's addons he mentioned.

Kel
-KZ

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Sun May 06, 2007 1:27 am

OK I think I know what you mean... You want them to go here:

You have to dump ProfileItems and create .lnk files to each program and use CopyFiles to copy the Shortcut Files to the DestinationDir of 16406 and then the Sysinternal SubDir

kelaniz

Post by kelaniz » Sun May 06, 2007 2:41 am

Yep, nestled right above that 7-Zip menu. Nothing beats a graphic to simplify an explanation. :)

I figured it'd end up being something like that. I'm guessing that's thanks to some serious lack of imagination by MS during planning the INF specs?

Copyfiles looks even more fun than ProfileItems. If I understand it correctly (highly doubtful), and assuming I put the links in the same .CAB as the utilities, The INF should start out like this:

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"

[DefaultInstall]
OptionDesc   ="Sysinternals"
Tip               ="Sysinternals Tools"
CopyFiles	=Programs,System
Modes        =0,1,2,3

[Optional Components]
Sysinternals

[Sysinternals]
OptionDesc   ="Sysinternals"
Tip          ="Sysinternals Tools"
CopyFiles	   =Programs,System,Syslinks

[SourceDisksNames.x86]
1="SysInternals_Files","Sysinter.cab",,"i386"

[DestinationDirs]
Syslinks    = 16406

[SourceDisksFiles]
AccessEn.lnk = 1
Autologo.lnk = 1
Autoruns.lnk = 1

[Syslinks]
AccessEnum.lnk,AccessEn.lnk
Autologon.lnk,Autologo.lnk
Autoruns.lnk

Then add another section to move the files to \Sysinternals

Is that anywhere close to being right? :) It almost seems easier to grab the links created off a build, make a SFX and svcpack it. :)

Kel
-KZ

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Sun May 06, 2007 11:55 am

Yep, I think you got it.
ALSO: Edit ALL the LNK files Properties and change C:\Program Files TO %ProgramFiles%.

BTW Add Sysinternals to your DestinationDirs Section
[DestinationDirs]
Syslinks = 16406,Sysinternals

kelaniz

Post by kelaniz » Sun May 06, 2007 6:40 pm

Cool. Thanks for the bonus Ricktips.:) I guess I don't really understand why the above two-step second copy is required. Did you mean this method is required if I *don't* manually create the links?

If I manually create the links and put them in the .CAB, why can't they be copied to 16406,Sysinternals with one CopyFiles operation? It looks like the EXEs & CHMs are copied to 16422,Sysinternals that way. Specifically: It doesn't appear they're first copied to Program Files, then subsequently moved to Program Files\Sysinternals.

Kel
-KZ

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Tue May 08, 2007 10:25 pm

btw an addon maker tool as this, but for Firefox and some favorite plug ins would be cool to have

Firefox, notepad ++, .etc tho this method can be much simplified for making switch less addons right ?.
now all needed is a nice layout like WPI , or some way to create scheme\gui with select choices for the some apps, hint ;)
btw i think WPI is a good candidate for doing all this as well :o

kelaniz

Post by kelaniz » Thu May 10, 2007 2:27 am

ENU: I actually made a SFX for Firefox that installs a dummy profile with a few common addons, including a configured FEBE. It also installs the blank profile I'll actually use. I start Firefox with dummy profile, use FEBE to restore my backup to the real profile and restart. Voila! 30-second profile restoration! I could just back my profile up directly to the SFX, but correctly backing it ALL up is more work, so I let FEBE handle it. I do a similar SFX with Notepad++. I have a desktop link that uses rar.exe to back up all relvant NPP files to the SFX/Addon in my source. When Notepad++ is installed, settings are copied over. It's handy!

As for this addon. It looks like I'm gonna have to do a similar SFX with my Sysinternals builder-created addon, too. I just can't get the links to copy where I want to work via the INF method - even with Rick's tips above. Between this and my system variable post @ MSFN, I'm making myself look like a complete moron. :)
-KZ

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Thu May 10, 2007 6:04 am

here is a small example list for them most common plugins .
off course this can grow by choice/options ..
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:7
an addon maker tool to save current settings passwords, favorites .etc
was only wanting to see this implemented, and since their is no thread for such, yet
as for them shortcuts you should give them a workout, run the inf with the changes you make. till you get it right :)
http://www.robvanderwoude.com/shortcutinf.html <-- from a small google search .or simply use addons from rik or kel as reference
good luck

kelaniz

Post by kelaniz » Mon May 14, 2007 11:34 pm

Thanks for the links, ENU. :) I have scoured Rick's, Kels, and other addons with no luck. The problem is, I haven't found a single addon that adds a shortcut to %16406%\Subdir (%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Foo) They're all %AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\ or a subdir. It makes sense. What goes on a person's Start Menu is a very personal thing :)

Re: Rick's tip to manually create the shortcuts, put 'em in the .CAB, then add an .INF section to copy them... The problem is, I'm not sure which procedure (below) requires copying the shortcuts twice to move them to my desired location. I assumed he meant two copies like this:

Procedure 1
1) Shortcuts created as usual in %16407%\Sysinternals via the INF
2) Copy Shortcuts to %16406%\SysInternals, then delete the originals from %16407%\Sysinternals.

But I'm not sure that's what he meant. It would seem that could also mean:

Procedure 2
1) Manually create the shortcuts, Add them to the .CAB. Add section in the INF to copy the shortcut files to %16406%\Sysinternals.

If 'copy twice' applies to the second procedure, then I'd have to copy them somewhere else first, say %16406%\ Then copy them again to %16406%\SysInternals? If that's true, I don't understand at all why it's necessary. Every INF I've seen that creates a directory, then copies files there does so in one step.

So, the biggest problem is, I don't know which procedure is the RIGHT way, (or if they're both wrong!). And again, if it's the second, why two copy operations are needed. That minor issue has made my testing *slightly* less efficient. :)

So far, I've had no luck either way. I've got tons of info on copying files from a .CAB, but zero info on the INF method to copy files after extraction from the CAB, then delete the original files. The different syntax some sections/operations require to express an identical string doesn't help. :/

I know I could just whip up a SFX in 5 min. that'd do this, but that's cheating. I need to learn how to do this via the INF, because It makes updating this addon simpler, and I need to similarly modify three other addons. Most importantly, when I can't make something work, I'm OK with asking for help, but not just giving up. :)

I don't want to bloat this thread with my help requests, so I'll keep trying to figure this out. However, since I'm now up to 38 attempts with zero success, and all my help resources don't address this, I'm at the point where I regretfully must resort to begging:

If *anyone* knows how to do what I'm trying to do, I'd very much appreciate if they could please post an short example INF with all the necessary sections to create (or create, copy, then delete the original. However it works) just one shortcut in %16406%\Sysinternals (%allusersprofile%\Start Menu\SysInternals) I can do the rest. I've tried everything I know, and my help resources are seriously starting to morph into something resembling Aramaic. :shock:

I'm definitely not an idiot. So, it bothers me that a stupid little INF is making me look like one. :)

Kel
-KZ

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Tue May 15, 2007 12:29 am

MWahhahahahahaahhaahh I DID IT!!!

[WallChan.Short]
Name = WallPaper Changer
CmdLine = 11,,WallPaperChanger.exe
SubDir = %Stuff%
WorkingDir = 11
InfoTip = Compumatrix WallPaper Changing Utility.

[Strings]
Stuff = "..\Stuff"

This adds a folder at the very TOP section of the start menu with Wallpaper Changer short in it!
Just edit accordingly.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Tue May 15, 2007 12:31 am

kelaniz

Post by kelaniz » Tue May 15, 2007 8:01 pm

Show off!

I like the follow-up "SEE, YA MORON??!" post, tho. Nice touch. :P

Actually, that was the first thing I tried. I do the same thing on three other addons, and they work fine. On this and the Nirsoft Tools addon, It doesn't work for me. No idea why. That's why I want to know a better way that's not so...iffy. Rick's earlier post said he thinks the dots were what was messing me up. So, I dunno.

Maybe this will help. Check out this excerpt, especially the [DestinationDirs] SysInterlnk line..

[DestinationDirs]
SysInterlnk    = 16407,%Shorts%  <-----*What does this line do?*

[SysInterlnk]
AccessEnum.lnk                                  

[AccessEnum.AddShortcut]
Name       =AccessEnum
SubDir     =%Shorts%

[Strings]
Shorts    ="Sysinternals"
I know AddShortcut entries default to %16407%, so what does that SysInterlnk= path accomplish? In my first mod attempt, I changed it to %16406%,%Shorts% and left the AddShortcut Subdir= blank. That put the links in %16407%/Sysinternals, as would be expected. So I don't understand the purpose of that line. It specifies a path when the path that's actually used is specified in each AddShortcut entry.

On a different note, I have a suggestion. A few GUI utils with help files, and obviously the console utils don't have menu options to open their help file. If you want to read the .hlp, you gotta browse to and open it manually. In the INF I'm working on, I put the links in \Sysinternals\Help Start Menu dir. I'd like to see that as an option in the builder. We don't need links to ALL the help files, just the handful that can't be directly accessed through its corresponding utility.

Speaking of the console utilities, another suggestion. :) Why not have the addon copy them to \Windows, \System32? or add the program folder to the path? There's some great console utils in this addon, but unless you manually move them somewhere in the path, they seem pretty useless just sitting in Program Files\Sysinternals

Last suggestion, I promise! Can DiskView, BGInfo, du and Diskext please be added?

Kel#2
Your omnipresent-resident monster poster.
-KZ

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Tue May 22, 2007 6:06 pm

Can someone mirror this? Apparently he lost his domain.

Poor guy. :(

dziubek

Post by dziubek » Tue May 22, 2007 6:26 pm

delete
Last edited by dziubek on Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rickytheanuj
Banned

Post by rickytheanuj » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:53 pm

Thank u, guy
i m searching this for a long time. :D

rickytheanuj
Banned

Post by rickytheanuj » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:49 pm

hae! guys i tried to create my own addons using your SysInternals_Addon_Builder_3.4.1 software. But i can not do that successfully.

I want to create winamp and other programs addon, and i do not want to make it uninstallable. When i use addon builder it shows the software to make addons. But i want to choose application manually from my computer. So please help me....

Please send me a full description with a example to create addons of any application without uninstallable.

HELP ME :!:

PS_PADRE

Post by PS_PADRE » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:07 am

Trying to create an addon i received this error message:

** No warnings or errors during preprocessing. Congratulations! **

*** Preparing to create AddOn cabinet file...
 ** Checking if all required "SysInter.cab" files exist...
 ** Checking if required file(s) exist...
 ** Creating "AddOnFiles" and "Output" folders...
 ** Renaming external INF filenames...

** Creating external CAB: "SysInter.cab"...

** Unexpected Error from System:

Cannot start process because a file name has not been provided.

*** Press any key to exit . . .

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:43 am

Put cabarc.exe and makecab.exe in windows system32 folder and it will be fixed.

PS_PADRE

Post by PS_PADRE » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:47 am

n7Epsilon wrote:Put cabarc.exe and makecab.exe in windows system32 folder and it will be fixed.
I put these files but nothing changed unfortunately(

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:17 pm

check to make sure that the folders it said it was creating actually got created.. soundslike the maker it using a dirlist feature to make the cab.. and there is nothing in the list (if i had to guess)

good luck
TechnoHunter

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:25 pm

Try putting the newest version of FGCBA in the builder folder in place of the older version there and see what it tells you.

PS_PADRE

Post by PS_PADRE » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:47 pm

n7Epsilon wrote:Try putting the newest version of FGCBA in the builder folder in place of the older version there and see what it tells you.
Done:

Invalid argument: "/cab:..\SysInternals_AddOn_3.4.1.cab". Run program with /? fo
r usage information.

*** Press any key to terminate . . .

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:01 pm

change the batch file (START.CMD), find /cab: and change it to /build:

PS_PADRE

Post by PS_PADRE » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:27 am

n7Epsilon wrote:change the batch file (START.CMD), find /cab: and change it to /build:
It works, it returns 3 warnings about ****.ink files, but it works :)! Thank you!

rickytheanuj
Banned

Post by rickytheanuj » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:07 pm

hae guys i m new in this topic. This topic contains so many threads which i m unable to read. So please ..

What is SysInternals Addon Pack Builder 3.4.1 ?

What it do? I think this is to create addons of different windows based application. m i right?

And , How it works?

please....i m waiting little bit of help from u masters.

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:28 pm

so you want us to read the threads for you then???

rickytheanuj
Banned

Post by rickytheanuj » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:50 pm

newsposter wrote:so you want us to read the threads for you then???
No.. no....nono .... Sorry,
I don't mean that.

All of you guys know this better, wht it is , how it works. And most of you are working on it. So it's so easy to you to say just a simple word. just within a line how it works.

I don't mean wht u r thinking...

and sorry for my stupid thread.

bober101

Post by bober101 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:15 pm

unzip, run the cmd do what it asks and ure output file will be the addon
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:26 pm

rickytheanuj wrote:hae! guys i tried to create my own addons using your SysInternals_Addon_Builder_3.4.1 software. But i can not do that successfully.

I want to create winamp and other programs addon, and i do not want to make it uninstallable. When i use addon builder it shows the software to make addons. But i want to choose application manually from my computer. So please help me....

Please send me a full description with a example to create addons of any application without uninstallable.

HELP ME :!:
That's not what this package is for. This is for creating addon packs of applications released by a company by the name of "SysInternals." You'll have to read the tutorials if you want to learn how to make your own addon pack.

Wesmosis

Post by Wesmosis » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:25 pm

thanx, downloading, testing

odyn1982

Post by odyn1982 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:42 am

- Rewrote uninstall section in .inf file

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:37 am

eeeeeeeeeexcellent!

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:08 pm

Looks like MSFT either changed or screwed up the packaging for tcpview so that the pack builder chokes on it.

It looks as though the pack is expecting to find tcpview.hlp while the .zip file has tcpview.chm.

odyn1982

Post by odyn1982 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:47 am

Thx newsposter :)
I've updated the builder.

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:32 am

It's conceiveable that MSFT could change the packaging for all of the Sysinternal utils to use chms instead of the old-style hlp files. Might be a good idea to make sure that the builder can handle both hlp and chm files irregardless.

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:41 am

Odyn, if you're still around could you update your pack to include the two new AD tools?