Another update....

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:14 pm

Minor update....

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:15 am

Oh I just can't seem to want to leave this addon alone. I decided to customise it a little tonight because I've been maintaining a public version and a private version - so now my private version IS the public version.

If you don't like the way I've set it up then just delete the settings.dat file before first run :P

PS: I also added extra shortcut in the Startmenu cos I use it a LOT

pckiller00

Post by pckiller00 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:01 pm

ty ty, and I agree, uTorrent is the sh!t torrent program, I've used several, BitSpirt, BitTornado (was ok, but GUI was plain and can chew up some RAM if I remember correctly) Anyway uTorrent is light, fast, and efficient.

Fragbert

Post by Fragbert » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:26 pm

Just wondering why you stick with v1.6? 1.7 is a great improvement to those who superseed or have dozens of active torrents - far less memory footprint taken up.

http://utorrent.com/download.php

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:14 pm

If you must know, Fragbert, she and I had a bet going to see how long it would take for somebody to ask for an update.

Considering the posts she's received lately, I'd suggest asking very nicely. :D

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:22 am

5eraph wrote:If you must know, Fragbert, she and I had a bet going to see how long it would take for somebody to ask for an update.
LOL and that's a bet that I lost! I was expecting to hear somebody whining for an update just hours after my running uTorrent client popped up a message to say there is a new version released. How cynical I have become in my old age hehehe

I am still not clear about what Fragbert is saying here tho? Is he trying to engage in a discussion about the fact that I said I am suspicious about new versions of the program which have been released since they were bought out by a commercial anti-file-sharing company?

Or was this his indirect way of saying "I am using this addon of yours and I want you to update if for me, but I don't want to be up front and actually ask you to do so".

So what is it you are really trying to say here Fragbert? ;)

grief

Post by grief » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:25 am

i don't think theres a hidden motive in fragberts post mrs. peel :P

looks like he was just asking if you knew something about the new version that was not worth updating to.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:47 am

grief wrote:looks like he was just asking if you knew something about the new version that was not worth updating to.
That's an interesting take on what he said, since I haven't made any statement that I will not continue updating the latest revisions - only that I will keep the old v1.5 available for those who have suspicions about what might happen with the inner code of uTorrent since Ludde no longer owns it.

But I still would like to hear from Fragbert if he is actually asking for an update.... or maybe he doesn't even use this addon.... shall we make a wager on that ;)

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:14 am

HOLY SHIT!!!! I just checked the changelog for uTorrent v1.7 and its already had 47 minor revisions. I was gonna update this today but now I am wondering if I shouldn't wait for a bit in case there's more bug fixes to come?

How lucky am I feeling today.... being that Murphy's Law has been my perpetual curse with freshly updated addons.... :?

I'll have to consult my Tarot cards and see what they say hehehe

:D

ton80

Post by ton80 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:26 am

Mrs Peel wrote:HOLY SHIT!!!! I just checked the changelog for uTorrent v1.7 and its already had 47 minor revisions. I was gonna update this today but now I am wondering if I shouldn't wait for a bit in case there's more bug fixes to come?

How lucky am I feeling today.... being that Murphy's Law has been my perpetual curse with freshly updated addons.... :?

I'll have to consult my Tarot cards and see what they say hehehe

I'd say just grab the 1.7.1 stable version build 3360 the one on the website and use it. I have; works great. Now just to whip dime for their draconian tracker messages, ARGGGGGG! The Traders Den is much better for bootlegs just smaller selection though.
Ton80

Fragbert

Post by Fragbert » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:53 am

Mrs Peel wrote:
grief wrote:looks like he was just asking if you knew something about the new version that was not worth updating to.
That's an interesting take on what he said, since I haven't made any statement that I will not continue updating the latest revisions - only that I will keep the old v1.5 available for those who have suspicions about what might happen with the inner code of uTorrent since Ludde no longer owns it.

But I still would like to hear from Fragbert if he is actually asking for an update.... or maybe he doesn't even use this addon.... shall we make a wager on that ;)
Uh..."just curious" as to why you were using the old build for so long, that's all, if you were in the dark or there was a specific reason to stick to 1.6 :)

And I don't use your addon :)

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:01 am

Ah OK Fragbert, thanks for clearing that up :)

I have uTorrent running 24/7 and only got the "new version available" popup three days ago, so I had a kneejerk reaction to the idea that "three days old" was sooooooooo long ago. I guess you must have been using the beta v1.7 builds then, and that's why it seemed so old from your perspective.

I have a policy to never update addons for beta builds - except in the rare event that it is an old app that is no longer updated and the last ever release was a beta - eg, DamnNFO, HeadAC3he, EncSpot etc etc

And anyhoo, it's always been my habit to wait for a while when new versions come out and wait to see if they are proven stable before I take the plunge - unless it is a security bug fix of course.

I'm like this with PC hardware too hehehehe - let all the impatient peeps who must have the latest newest everything be the product beta testers I say!

Gawd I'm glad I decided to hang on to my trusty old modded XboX one now :D :D :D

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:05 am

PS: I actually did update this one two days ago, but I had a bright idea about how I could improve the uninstaller and add a few extra reg entries and so I'm still doing some beta testing of my own - of this rebuild :D

Hopefully I'll be happy enough with the results to post update tomorrow (if I can find Ryan to upload it for me, he seems to be AWOL ATM) :(

Cheers!

runningfool87

Post by runningfool87 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:46 am

several months back, utorrent was purchased by bittorrent, inc. this wasnt an issue for most people, except for a few conspiracy theorists. their basic theory was that since bittorrent had recently opened an online "store" where you could buy torrents of movies and other media, the RIAA and MPAA had *obviously* joined forces to secretly buy, and through a series of version updates, render utorrent useless as a torrent client.

unfortunately what these conspiracy nuts havent realized is:

1. why would bittorrent as a company spend money on a torrent client when they knew the end goal was to ruin it?
2. if the "conspiracy" is true, how come NO ONE in the IRC utorrent channel (the same people before and after the infamous takeover) believes it? think about it...people who use IRC are basically computer geeks by default, so why would the people closest to utorrent development outside of the developers themselves use the newest version if it really was "infected"?
3. dont you think that if newer versions of utorrent were in some way "bad" that some programmer would have reverse-engineered it by now and found the offending code? the exe is less than 300kb so its not like reverse-engineering it would be a daunting task for someone who has done it before. that, and there are only so many ways that one could theoretically cause a torrent client to download slower...blocking trackers, download caps, bandwidth throttling, etc...all of which would be obvious to someone who knew what they were doing
4. also take into consideration that Ludde is still part of the utorrent development team as a technical consultant...dont you think that if he knew they were damaging the torrent client he once poured his heart and soul into developing, that ***someone*** would leak the source code to the public as proof?

aside from actual bug fixes and a few default preference changes (the only thing anyone can really complain about), utorrent is basically the same app it has always been...hell, even the little tetris game is still there (go to the about utorrent screen and press "t"). so basically refusing to update is an insult to the developers and community behind utorrent.

...and its not a true addon, but i released a switchless installer utorrent addon for 1.7.1.3360 on here about a week ago.

ton80

Post by ton80 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:03 am

hell, even the little tetris game is still there (go to the about utorrent screen and press "t").
:shock: 8)

Learn something new everyday.
Ton80

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:58 am

Hehehe runningfool87, just cos you're a conspiracy nut doesn't mean they're not out to get you :P

I guess my fave private bitorrent site are a bunch of conspiracy nuts too, cos they just banned uTorrent 1.7 on the tracker for being caught transmitting tracker data. Uh-oh :shock:

Bumped version. Sorry it took a few days longer to get posted cos I just had to fiddle with it ten more times before I was finally happy LOL

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:01 am

PS: FWIW, I tried this new version out for a few days and ended up dumping it to revert to previous version cos that was getting me way better download speeds - as much as three times higher on a couple of the torrents I had active at the time to use as speed comparison.

Just a wee headsup in case peeps are in too much of a hurry to upgrade to v1.7.1 ;)

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:23 am

hmmm... "ruh-roh shaggy!" (from scooby-doo incase you wondered)

that sounds.. typically backwards for places like microsoft :) wonder if the coders are working second jobs ;)

mind sharing what version that you are reverting to MrsP? i might still have it floating around my system if its one of your older ones from this thread (would be good to be faster :) )

thanks in advance!

TechnoHunter

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:53 am

I'm using 1.6.1 at the moment TechnoHunter, the previous one I released here a few weeks ago. But I would suggest you run your own independent speed tests in case it's just something funky with my network setup here.

Even tho this wee gem is still pretty teensey compared to other torrent clients, they've still managed to triple the size of it since its virgin release with so many new user-demanded features. Personally I can live without the added bloat of having three times more many features than I personally use.

The only thing that would ever prompt me to upgrade from a previous version of any of my trusty network utilities is a dramatic improvement in speed performance ;)

LOL gotta love that scooby doo :D

runningfool87

Post by runningfool87 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:06 am

ok! first off, utorrent 1.7.2 build 3458 is out. ill update my own *dirty* switchless installer addon sometime today. changes include a fix for a bug that allowed for the possibility of ratio cheating (a bug almost no one knew about) and changing the UDP multicast option to "off by default.

many (paranoid) sites were quick to ban uT v1.7.1 based on 2 "facts"...one turned out to be misreported information in an article on torrentfreak.com, while the other was, quite frankly, a stupid mistake on behalf of the admins at either tapecity.org or torrent-freak.com, who FALSELY reported that utorrent 1.7.1 was broadcasting tracker information. the problem is, had they taken 5 minutes with wireshark to check this, they would have seen that uT was broadcasting an encrypted hash value only over the 239.x IP range...a range used exclusively for local multicast (LAN's). torrent sharing over LAN's is a feature new to utorrent that almost no other torrent client uses and is one of the main reasons that utorrent has grown "so big" :) and to anyone wondering why this new feature is useful, think about it...torrents at 100 Mbit/sec.

sources:
http://torrentfreak.com/ziptorrent-poll ... -torrents/
http://torrenthelp.depthstrike.com/2007 ... about.html
http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=264128
http://www.torrent-damage.net/
http://torrenthelp.depthstrike.com/2007 ... about.html

so what does this all mean for the end-user: nothing. the newest version of utorrent now has this feature disabled by default.

and as far as newer versions being slower, there are only a couple of factors that could affect download speed: site admins "jumping the gun" and banning torrent clients, or because youre connecting to a different set of peers (which really isnt a factor, as you can conceivably connect to different people each time you run your torrent client). the only popular torrent client that was ever "proven" to be fundamentally faster/slower than any other client was bitcomet v0.60 (using a DHT exploit to ignore ratios)...which was eventually banned from just about every private torrent tracker on the web.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:52 pm

Updated to v1.7.2 build 3458 (thanks runningfool87 for the headsup) and rebuilt old archived versions with uninstallers. Please make sure you READ my release notes thoroughly regarding configs and uninstaller behaviour!!!

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:01 am

Minor inf tweak.... all versions updated....

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:27 am

Rebuilt optional components section so it will hide properly in Windows Components Wizard now....

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:34 am

Minor change to improve startmenu shortcut install method by using a rick trick....

arco

Post by arco » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:10 pm

Thanks mister!

mashimus

Post by mashimus » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:39 pm

Thanks for the effort...!!

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:57 pm

arco wrote:Thanks mister!

HHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA Funniest thing I have heard today...

(It's a girl m8 :P)

runningfool87

Post by runningfool87 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:05 am

go easy on him, kel. maybe he speaks chinglish :P

arco

Post by arco » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:42 am

Whahah.. your really think I don't know the difference between Mrs and Mr ? :P (and what it means).

Is say (I've never say) Thanks mister! to anyone... I would see the reaction of Peel herself. Often long story's as girls that do... I like that :D

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:27 am

LOL you guys are too funny. Yeh I kinda figured you were being a smartarse then arco :P

Just as well I enjoy smartarses hehehe :D

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:17 pm

New version released 20 minutes ago. I thought I would update it on the spot and beat the greedy leechers who usually have leapt forward to demand an update within an hour of the "new version notification" popup.

dkrus

Post by dkrus » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:12 pm

They updated again to 1.7.4 Build 4482

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:22 pm

dkrus wrote:They updated again to 1.7.4 Build 4482
Those Murphy bastards :x

They haven't updated the language file yet tho and the changelog is not up on the site yet either, so I won't be updating this addon until they have done so, cos apparently it is important that the exe and lng file versions match.

Stay tuned.... :?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:26 pm

The code is obviously in flux. Maybe we should wait a few days for things to calm down before inviting her wrath by asking for an update to code that may change again when the wind shifts...

EDIT: So stealthy, Mrs Peel. You beat me to the punch from the shadows. LOL

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:48 pm

5eraph wrote:Maybe we should wait a few days for things to calm down before inviting her wrath by asking for an update to code that may change again when the wind shifts...
Hehehe, then only person who has to fear my wrath is Murphy.... if I can ever find the bugger to issue him one of my infamous Mrs Peel Bitchslappings!

:P

dkrus

Post by dkrus » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:31 pm

from their forum
--- 2007-09-06: Version 1.7.4 (build 4482)
- Fix: crash bug in Mainline DHT compatability

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:10 pm

They finally updated the language file to 1.7.4 (build 4482) so this pack is now updated too....

PS @ dkrus: For future reference, I suggest you read this :wink:

pg.manq

Post by pg.manq » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:10 am

Thanks.

Sm0ker

Post by Sm0ker » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:59 am

Cheers Mrs P.

jdrom17

Post by jdrom17 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:01 pm

Thanks Mrs Peel! Keep up the great work :)

proximous

Post by proximous » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:20 pm

Many thanks for the update. I use this a lot.

arco

Post by arco » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:16 pm

v1.7.5 is available.

Thanks

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:27 pm

arco wrote:v1.7.5 is available.
That's interesting news.

Is this your way of asking me to update it for you, or just a casual observation from a non-user?

arco

Post by arco » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:20 am

I like uTorrent and I like your add-ons, but I don't use the standard uTorrent anymore, but a Mod. So just information from a non-user. First time I see your page now, I'll read and use the 'official procedure for requesting updates' next time.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:38 am

Ah OK then, thanks for the heads up. But I'm not gonna update this until somebody actually steps up and ASKS me for it, cos I am sick of users assuming that my maintenance of this uTorrent pack is an "automated service".

However, I am interested in this "modded" uTorrent version you refer to. Is it available for public download? A fork of the old Ludde uTorrent? Or just something that you have made specially for your own private use?

Cheers

arco

Post by arco » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:22 pm

It's for the real freaky P2P users, so it's public but not very known. Take a look here for the mods for many P2P sharing programs.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:08 pm

Thanks for the link, arco. I can see the need for such mods, but i'm still of the mind that, in general, most people that use them are selfish bastards. Just my opinion, of course.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess? - Joshua, Wargames

arco

Post by arco » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:35 pm

I understand that you think that, and I agree with you that most people which are using this mod are bastard. But I has my own reason to use this. Short explain:

My provider blocks P2P traffic (I have to use DHT and encryption and I have to tunnel my Internet. Some people say you have to forward your ports etc. That and other things are not the problem, I know everything about that subject, So I know that my provider is the real first provider on the world that can totally block P2P traffic). For private torrent sites is in not allowed to use DHT (if you use it they can't well keep up your traffic). So I have to use this modded uTorrent to download from torrents from private sites (they are most time the best sites with the best torrents).

Yes for myself I'm playing fair. My seed ratio is always >1.1

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:33 am

Mrs. Peel,
I know you really like utorrent so I thought I'd ask your opinion on the latest BitTorrent client (v6.0)

It appears to me that they are identical (at least the GUI is identical).

What are your thoughts?
And thanks for your great addons. :)