[Release] Jared's Universal Extractor Addon v1.5-070825

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

[Release] Jared's Universal Extractor Addon v1.5-070825

Post by Mrs Peel » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:37 pm

This was requested by w00blyn here, and since I use this very excellent utility so often in my addon making I am amazed I never thought to make an addon for it sooner DOH. :oops:

I've emailed Jared (aka nitro322) for permission to release this here and he has very generously agreed, so please be sure to give him a big thanks for all the hard work he put into this program cos we couldn't do what we do here without peeps like him who support our efforts with such invaluable tools.

My latest (1.5) build of this (and sorry it is soooooooooooo long overdue cos it required a total rebuild) is now fully uninstallable, and as I did with my previous builds I have customised this with a shell menu to suit my own personal work flow - which is obviously geared up to addon building and the dissecting of installer packages etc etc. Also, as in my previous build, I have NOT associated any archive formats with UniExtractor because I want my archive formats to only open-on-click with my primary archiving software (WinRAR and 7-Zip), but you will be able to "UniExtract to Sub-Folder" al files that are supported by the program

If you are going to use this (my personalised version) of this addon, then you need to understand that if you reconfig the program in any way that modifies my original file/shell menu associations then you will NOT get a clean registry uninstall of this. If that doesn't suit you, then Makave2345 has a switchless installer version with default program setup and ricktendo64 also maintains a vanilla addon ;)

Universal Extractor v1.5
LINK: MrsP_Universal_Extractor_Addon_v1.5-070825
MD5: A09C7B655BF4A544683036FD6A9AC348
SIZE: 4.55 MB
Description: Extract files from any type of archive or installer
Op System: Windows 2000, XP & 2003 (x86 only)
Builddate: 2007/02/22
Language: Multi-language
Title: UniExtract
Version: 1.5
License: Open Source
Installs to: "%programfiles%\Utilities\UniExtractor"
Uninstaller: Removes program files, shortcuts, reg entries and shell menu
Universal Extractor
Universal Extractor is a program do to exactly what it says: extract files from any type of archive, whether it's a simple zip file, an installation program, or even a Windows Installer (.msi) package. This is still a work in progress (see details below), abut so far it's proven quite useful and I feel others can also benefit from it.

I should stress that this application is not intended to be a general purpose archiving program. It will never replace WinRAR, 7-Zip, etc. What it will do is allow you to extract files from virtually any type of archive, regardless of source, compression method, etc. The original motivation behind this project was that I wanted an easy, convenient way to extract files from installation packages, such as Inno Setup or Windows Installer packages, without pulling up a command line every time. In the process I got a little carried away and ended up throwing in support for every kind of archive format I possibly could find.

Universal Extractor, like most of my Windows programs, is written in AutoIt, a powerful open source scripting language. Universal Extractor itself, however, is just a front-end that uses many other programs to do the dirty work.

Technical Details:
When a file is passed to UniExtract, it begins by examining the file extension. If the extension matches one of the supported non-executable extensions listed below, it immediately begins extraction from the archive. If it's an executable file (determined by an .exe extension), it calls PEiD to analyze the file signature. If the signature indicates that it's a supported format, then it attempts to begin extraction. If it is not a recognized signature, it will try running it through 7zip as a default case. If 7zip recognizes it, it will be extracted; otherwise, UniExtract displays an error message and exits.

If the filetype is supported, UniExtract begins by checking the destination directory. If necessary, a new directory will be created. UniExtract then spawns a shell and calls the supporting binary to begin extracting files from the selected archive to the destination directory. After completion, UniExtract checks the size of the subdirectory to determine if extraction was successful; if the size is greater than zero, UniExtract assumes success and exits. If extraction fails, UniExtract notifies the user and leaves log file in c:\uniextract.log that (should) contain any error messages. Note: As of version 1.0, this check is only valid for new directories. If you choose to extract to an existing directory, it will always "pass" this check.

The c:\uniextract.log file is created during the extraction process by the tee program. Essentially, all output from the running binary is redirected to tee, which in turn writes the output to the log file as well as echo it to the screen to give the user current progress. Upon successful execution this file is deleted, but if an error is detected it is left alone for the user to review.

Enjoy!

:D

[Edit 2006/04/11] Minor update to pack to tidy up the shell menu entries.
[Edit 2006/04/24] Bumped to version v1.1 and updated MD5 sums.
[Edit 2006/05/04] Bumped to version v1.2 and updated MD5 sums.
[Edit 2006/05/04] Bumped to version (again) to v1.2.1 and updated MD5 sums.
[Edit 2006/05/14] Forgot to update line in reg entries to the new Uniextract icon. Fixed and updated MD5 sums.
[Edit 2007/07/01] Updated to version v1.5, rebuilt entirely from scratch, refined reg entries, coded an uninstaller
[Edit 2007/07/02] Minor tweak to inf file to standardise my uninstallation code. Change of addon naming convention
[Edit 2007/07/05] Rewrote uninstaller to add a removal prompt
[Edit 2007/07/06] Minor bug fix to hide taskkill CMD window during removal. Big thanks to Kel for the tweak.
[Edit 2007/08/04] Rebuilt optional components section and updated uninstaller to work with XP Home
[Edit 2007/08/25] Tweaked uninstall reg entries to force a proper icon to display in Add/Remove programs
Last edited by Mrs Peel on Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:07 am, edited 15 times in total.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:29 pm

Thanks to goes out to Jared for this wonderfull app and thank you Mrs Peel for making it into an addon for all of us to use.

larciel

Post by larciel » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:35 pm

thank you from me too :)

w00blyn

Post by w00blyn » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:56 am

I do say, superb work gentlemen. I use this program all kinds, and to have it in addon pak is even better.

Cheers to nitro322 for making such a sweet app, and cheers to Mrs. Peel for making the pak (so damn fast too).

As well, cheers to siginet for the kick ass integrator, to Kel and Xable and Mrs. Peel and Booogy and dgelwin, I use many of your packs. Big cheers to Ryan for the greatness that is he, and indeed, cheers to everyone who's helped in some way or another. I do enjoy this community very much, and everything I've learned from it. It is superior.

I know it's not said enough, so thanks!

And I hope that you never believe your work goes unappreciated. I know I use it a lot, and I can only imagine how many people all over the place use it too.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:04 am

Minor update to pack to tidy up the shell menu entries.

Cheers :)

armond

Post by armond » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:21 pm

Hi Mrs Peel,
For your record:
Universal Extractor 1.1 released.
Download:
http://www.c1pher.com/uniextract11.exe
Thanks.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:02 am

Version 1.1 doesn't work. Several people have reported this.

armond

Post by armond » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:59 am

Sorry for posting this. We always, always. should check anything before posting everything!

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:33 pm

Yeh it's a bummer about version 1.1. Guess we'll just have to be patient while Jared sorts it out ;)

Aserone

Post by Aserone » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:28 am

Mrs Peel wrote:Yeh it's a bummer about version 1.1. Guess we'll just have to be patient while Jared sorts it out ;)
nitro322 wrote:Minor Update: 04/23/2006 - I corrected an error in the original 1.1 release that prevented it from running. Please redownload UniExtract for the fix.
Sweet essential addon thanks for releasing!

ORIGINAL INSTALLER: http://www.c1pher.com/uniextract11.exe

Edit: clearing up things ;)
Last edited by Aserone on Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
//Aserone-Foxy | EULA: Everything I say/post is a lie and/or forwarded from swim.

bober

Post by bober » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:29 am

thanks for the release and the fix. :)

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:53 am

Nice one Jared and thanks for the headsup peeps. New version seems to be working AOK now so addon has been updated to v1.1 and file will be updated by Ryan on the server soon as he wakes up.

Cheers m'dears ;)

the_guy

Post by the_guy » Tue May 02, 2006 6:05 am

New version. 1.2 is out.
[quote=changelog]Added preliminary support for NSIS installers
Added support for new-style MS SFX installers
Fixed potential bug in cache method of extracting for InstallShield installers[/quote]

Direct download link-http://www.c1pher.com/uniextract12.exe

the_guy

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Thu May 04, 2006 1:04 am

Actually 1.2.1 is out now.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Thu May 04, 2006 2:19 am

Oh buggery bollox, did 1.2.1 come out on the last few hours?

Cos I just updated this from the installer I grabbed off his website this evening and it is still showing as 1.2 in the software title.

PS: the file won't be updated on the server by Ryan until morning.

earl

Post by earl » Thu May 04, 2006 3:05 am

the link dosn`t work.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Thu May 04, 2006 3:11 am

QUOTE PS: the file won't be updated on the server by Ryan until morning.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Thu May 04, 2006 3:24 am

Oh man it's Murphy's Law I tell ya! Jared must have updated this about 5mins after I grabbed the 1.2 version file tonight.

OK I'll have to go remake this pack again and get it finished before Ryan wakes up hehehe.

Hang in there peeps ;)

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Thu May 04, 2006 4:10 am

(((whew))) only one file to update so that was a relief.

Temporary link till Ryan wakes up to update file on server - only good for 25 clicks so please try and wait for Ryan unless you need it really urgently OK ;)

https://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=39T ... 4JFM0BH9X7

w00blyn

Post by w00blyn » Wed May 10, 2006 7:12 am

thanks for the updated version :D

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Mon May 15, 2006 3:40 am

Ooops I missed a reg edit in this one for default icon. He changed the name of it in this latest release. DOH :?

the_guy

Post by the_guy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:17 am

Version 1.3 Released!

Direct download link is here

the_guy

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:55 am

Oooh thanks for the headsup guy. Funny that cos I was just thinking a few days ago "I wonder if there is a new version of this released lately" I haven't updated any of my addons for months so I better go get to work on this one cos I use it a dozen times a day hehehe.

Cheers m'dears :)

ahmerkhan

Post by ahmerkhan » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:07 am

latest version 1.3 release...

Mrs Peel you should keep updating Ur Addon pack....;)

I my self Never Integrate an Old Addon Pack,I am a Latest Verson Freak...:)

the_guy

Post by the_guy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:52 am

I just thought I'd post that this was updated to version 1.3.1.

the_guy

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:05 pm

mindcurd wrote:Mrs Peel you should keep updating Ur Addon pack....;)
And you should read the forums more so you would know that my life has been sidetracked for the last 7mths with health problems, surgery and working double-time to make up for 4mths lost income. Some of us actually have real lives you know.

I do not have the time to update this pack at present due to being overworked and also for the fact it requires a massive rewrite by me, cos he's added and rearranged a lot of things since last version I released.

In the meantime, Ricktendo has asked the author to keep releasing latest versions of this app as an addon and you can download those from his web site here. (Thanks Rick!)

Please note however that Ricks version follows the default installer which places a zillion entries in the reg and shell menu, whereas my releases only place bare essentials in registry and shell, cos I hate clutter and I do not want this to take over file associations that I prefer assigned to my other archive apps.

In case I haven't made myself clear in the past, I make these addons for MY OWN PERSONAL USE and I only share them here out of the kindness of my heart. If I haven't updated an addon on this board it is because I have not had the time to update it for myself yet either.

Cheers.

the_guy

Post by the_guy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:00 am

Hope ya get well soon Mrs. Peel.

the_guy

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:24 am

Your work is very appreciated Mrs Peel. We know about your health & life problems. Real life is far more important than these addons. I hope you acn overcome your monetary problems easily.
Cheers

dziubek

Post by dziubek » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:05 pm

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:03 pm

I don't do betas..... and neither should you ;)

TripleA

Post by TripleA » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:20 pm

I cannot express how happy I am to see you again!

Please stay.

:)

Kiki Burgh

Post by Kiki Burgh » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:48 am

hi Mrs.Peel! this post is unrelated to the topic here ... it's just that i saw you here last & i just wanted to express how greatful i am with the work you have put into the freeware addons you have created ... i just realized after sorting all my addons that i use a lot of your work ... really thanks! better health to you! :P
-KIKI-

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:28 am

TripleA wrote:I cannot express how happy I am to see you again!

Please stay.

:)
I'd love to. Wanna pay for an assistant for me so I have more hours in a day free to do stuff I enjoy like tinkering with geeky things? :P

On the bright side, I have very nearly caught up with all work I got behind on last year when I was ill, so I am looking forward to getting back to a more SANE workpace of like 8 hours a day instead of 14 :shock:

Thanks Kiki (((sigh))) what a shame we only realise how grateful we are for people after we think we've lost them ;)

Cheers y'all
Mrs P

PS: Don't forget that Rick has been maintaining his version of this addon over on his website (thanks Rick) and you guys can still grab it from over there.

synth

Post by synth » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:45 pm

Is there *ANY* extractor that can unpack those old Nullsoft PIMP installers?
I would love to get my hands on an app that can take care of those &$%#^@s
Every second installer I come across is a bloody P.I.M.P. :)
Unfortunately,it's the only major installer still not supported by Universal Extractor.The problem is this $%^& installer is used a lot,even for open-source/freeware stuff :(

FYI,Universal Extractor v1.5 Final is out (and this is really old news),so it's time for a (massive) update.
U.E. is still the best app of its kind :D

RaGhul

Post by RaGhul » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:19 am

@Mrs Peel,

Hi, RaGhul here. Not exactly new, but relatively newer. Anyways, I've done the 'searches' here, and found a couple of your addons. Your 'Neave Games Addon' is one that I almost ALWAYS add to my XP cd.

Didn\t know you were still loitering about the forums. Good to see ya!!

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:27 am

Yah I manage to pop in once or twice a week to check my threads, but I never have time to actually post anything cos I am soooooooooooooo godamned busy working 16 hour days/7 days a week - oh the joys of being self-effing-employed hrmpffff.

Nice to hear you love the Games pack, it is a huge hit with all my friends who I do installs for as well - I daren't put it on my own machine tho cos they are so addictive and I dare not put distracting toys on my work machine hehehe.

Oh man I am still running UE 1.4 on this machine - haven't even had to time to do a blimmin reformat for nearly nine months now cos I can never manage to get a few days away from work deadlines ackkkk

OK that was my coffee break.... now back to work I go....... (((((sob)))))

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:30 pm

Sorry this took so long peeps.

Totally rebuilt addon from scratch and refined the shell menu behaviour. I had to write my own uninstaller for this because Jared's native one doesn't clean out the reg entries or delete the program folders properly.

Enjoy ;)

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:57 pm

Minor update. See release notes....

Sm0ker

Post by Sm0ker » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:26 am

Thanks for the update Mrs Peel..

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:48 pm

Minor update....

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:36 am

Will hide properly in Windows Components Wizard now.... and uninstaller works with XP Home....

mashimus

Post by mashimus » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:26 am

Thanks Mrs P..

Keep up the good work...!

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:16 am

Minor tweak to make icon look pretty in Add/Remove programs applet.....

Sm0ker

Post by Sm0ker » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:36 pm

Mrs P. not sure if you are aware that Nitro32 has made available the 1.6 Beta version over at MSFN its been there since the 9 August. Not sure if you are willing to make an addon of this beta version but thought I'd give you the heads up anyway.

Uniextract 1.6 Beta

This is by no means a request for you to make an addon, im happy with v1.5 you have released already.

Keep up the good work.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:48 pm

Yes I am aware of that Smoker, and I don't mind doing the occasional beta release for critical updates and abandonware apps, but Jared tends to do a major overhaul every time he moves up a version and this is one of my top 3 worst addons to do updates for, usually requiring a rebuild from scratch.... so I just ain't willing to go to that much trouble until the next release has been full final and there's been no bug reports on it for at least two weeks.

I am never in a hurry to update to the latest greatest software or hardware versions and I seldom ever live to regret holding back to let the impatient ones be the beta-test dummies - as my experience with the XnView silent update that snuck out today is a classic example of :rolleyes:

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:18 pm

For those of you who still have (and use this addon), there is an update for one of the unpackers that deal with the inno setup.

http://innounp.sourceforge.net/

If one takes the update from that site, and replaces the two files in this addon, then one can have a semi-updated addon that is still relevant to usage today.

Edit: Idea for update is located here.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way