There have been a number of significant changes in this version, as follows:
- The addon is no longer compatible with Windows 2000, because I had to rewrite the inf file in a new way to install the system executables, and to force them to overwrite existing versions in the i386 folder required the use of the "100" code which will not work on Win2k. Sorry to any Win2k users out there who are effected by this
- I have now included ALL the files from the Microsoft CabSDK installer package, including all the SDK documentation that goes with it, except for the cabinet.dll file (1997 version) which is older than the one in all current windoze CDs. The system executables will install to system32 folder and everything else (including the bundled tools) will install into windows programs, which is how it should have been from the outset.
- I am no longer using the hacked executables with the embedded icons in this package. I am always a bit dubious about hacked exes and also feel that it is not respectful to the original authors to distribute them publically. So instead what I have done in this release is to use some of ricks exotic inf tricks to add icon paths to the Cab Tools, PE Checksum and Compression Bin SendTo shortcuts. These are three icons that I have sourced from different places and modified in an icon editor, but I am not entirely happy with the quality of the Compression Bin icon I made (although it still looks way nicer than the embedded exe icon LOL) so if anybody happens to find a sexier XP-style "compression" icon, then please flick it my way
- I have made the effort to include proper information about all the files and tools included in this installer, including version numbers, file dates, original authors and links to the download sources. These are all recorded in the comments section of the inf file in order to give proper credit where it is due and accurate versioning information. The only thing that is missing in there is the author of the modded ModifyPE v0.81 which I sourced from the MSFN website, so if anybody here happens to have knowledge of the author of that file will you please let me know who it is, so I can include this info too.
- The bundled cab utilities in this addon are now uninstallable and the new uninstaller will remove all of those, and the sendto shortcuts AND also all the cabinet SDK documentation. Please note that I have NOT configured it to remove the system executables, because I expect that anybody who wants to remove this addon might still be needing those in case they have decided to switch to an alternative front-end cabinet making utility (such as XPero's eXpander) or using n7Epsilon's FGCBA
I have not included cabinet.dll in this pack cos the version in Microsoft Cabinet SDK is from 1999 and Windows XP & 2003 (x86 only) all have their own newer versions of this file in their i386 folders. My version of cabarc.exe is a more recent one tho.
If anybody happens to find a better or even more recent version of any files included in this addon pack then please give me a shout so I can update it accordingly.
Cabinet Tools SDK Bundle v2.2
SIZE: 352 KB
File Versions and Sources:Description: Microsoft Cabinet SDK with Cab and Compression Tools
Op System: Windows XP & 2003 (x86 only)
Title: CabTools SDK
Addon Version: 2.2
Executables Install to: "%windir%\system32" and
Utilities Install to: "%programfiles%\System\CabSDK"
Shortcuts Install to: "%userprofile%\SendTo" and "%allusers%\Programs\System\Microsoft CabSDK"
Uninstaller: Removes program files, documentation, shortcuts and reg entries. The system files are NOT removed!
HUGE thanks to all the addon gurus and inf magicians here, without whom this rebuild would not have been possibleCAB Tool v1.8 [2006/01/09] by Philippe Coulombe, http://www3.sympatico.ca/lazimute/programs.htm
Cabarc.exe v5.1.260 [2001/08/17] by Microsoft, http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310618
Compression Bin v1.2.6128 [2006/05/08] by Jean-Sebastien Carle, http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=144
Extract.exe v1997.03.20 [1997/03/20] by Microsoft, http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310618
Makecab.exe v6.0.6001.16633 [2007/08/03] by Microsoft, http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310618
ModifyPE v0.81 [2005/12/25] by Unknown Author, http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/64/
PECheckSum v1.7 [2006/05/28] by Philippe Coulombe, http://www3.sympatico.ca/lazimute/programs.htm
Enjoy (or not)
[Edit 2006/04/12] Remade the addon to remove Makecab.exe v5.2.379 and downgrade to Makecab.exe v1.00.0601. Fixed PECheckSum file with modded program icon so version number is visible again.
[Edit 2006/05/12] Updated J'Carles Compression Bin to version v1.2.6128.
[Edit 2007/06/20] Added reg entries to automatically configure Compression Bin
[Edit 2007/08/14] Completely rebuilt from the ground up, see notes above
[Edit 2007/08/25] Tweaked uninstall reg entries to force a proper icon to display in Add/Remove programs
[Edit 2007/09/13] Updated makecab.exe to v6.0.6001.16633 (from Vista)