[Release] Hacked syssetup.dll ->multiple hacks<-

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
Aserone

[Release] Hacked syssetup.dll ->multiple hacks<-

Post by Aserone » Thu May 11, 2006 3:32 am

The "OOBE Only" does the same as the previously provided "[Release] Hacked syssetup.dll by RyanVM". The difference is now there are two of them depending on if you run or need MS KB894871 Hotfix

The "Unlock Only" patched SYSSETUP.DLL will skip the signing verification of the SYSSETUP.INF file responsible for components installation, and make it possible to customize Windows installation with some modifications to this INF.

The "Unlock & OOBE", naturally, does BOTH.

PE Checksums are included in the second commented line of the INI for each addon. If MS releases any more updates to Syssetup.dll and they are ever inlcuded in an RVMUpdatePack, you can use that (and future) checksums to modify the RVMUpPck.inf.

Hacked syssetup.dll

Okay. We now have 6 SYSSETUP.DLL files to play with, as follows:
(note: The downloads with _HF_ are the ones Build 2659)

LINK - OOBE Only: Zacam_Hacked_SYSSETUP_Addon_OOBE.cab
MD5: E7353996F2F45C9F590802F43F24D914
SIZE: 321 KB

LINK - Unlock Only: FoxyZacam_Hacked_SYSSETUP_Addon_VerSkip.cab
MD5: 068ED358A76E72409A7012F1A0D07FBD
SIZE: 321 KB

LINK - Unlock & OOBE: FoxyZacam_Hacked_SYSSETUP_Addon_OOBE_VerSkip.cab
MD5: A7D71949A8458FD34EA1398B3AF90EE6
SIZE: 322 KB
Language: English Only!

Dll Version: 5.1.2600.2180

Release Date: 2004-08-04

Op System: XP Only!
LINK - OOBE Only: Zacam_Hacked_SYSSETUP_HF_Addon_OOBE.cab
MD5: 7C1B3F70D556772E93776B422A0D999F
SIZE: 320 KB

LINK - Unlock Only: FoxyZacam_Hacked_SYSSETUP_HF_Addon_VerSkip.cab
MD5: 24B164D3A94641DBB59B8D030F77380C

LINK - Unlock & OOBE: FoxyZacam_Hacked_SYSSETUP_HF_Addon_OOBE_VerSkip.cab
MD5: DCBC97075B389C4C39E70CE587D0A647
Language: English Only!

Dll Version: 5.1.2600.2659

Release Date: 2005-04-21

Op System: XP Only!
Credits:

For patched file to skip the signing verification, Philippe. Homepage Azimut Project. Released with permission.

OOBE patching done via information found at this MSFN topic, all credits to Gosh, ZoSTeR and Zacam (for patching).

And to Aserone for releasing the first patched syssetup that started this whole cascade of updated files, and for being really cool about me (zacam) updating it. :D (it really is his fault, I swear it! j/k)

Edit 2006-05-12 - I or Zacam will try to patch the newest official build 5.1.2600.2659 (call hotfix).
Edit 2006-05-12 - Updated to include combined hacked syssetup.dll by Zacam
Edit 2006-05-12 - Zacam went psychotic and decided that 2 of one version and 1 of another wasn't good enough and balanced it all out by making 3 for each and then asked RyanVM _really_ nicely to host them.
Edit: 2006-05-13 - Zacam rewrote the original release (thank you man!), moved up to topic
Last edited by Aserone on Sat May 13, 2006 4:20 am, edited 6 times in total.
//Aserone-Foxy | EULA: Everything I say/post is a lie and/or forwarded from swim.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Thu May 11, 2006 7:51 pm

Hmmm... interesting. I have never heard of doing this before. What are the advantages to something like this? Can you give me an example?
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Xable

Post by Xable » Thu May 11, 2006 9:13 pm

Forgive me if i`m wrong but i think this is an example of something that nLite does.. you know one of those things it does seemingly for no reason. There is of course a reason though, it`s to unlock setup to be able to customise it further.

SYSSETUP.INF is responsible for registering dll`s and other stuff like installing components ect.

Zacam

Re: [Release] Hacked syssetup.dll ->unlocks syssetup.inf&

Post by Zacam » Fri May 12, 2006 5:53 am

I like to have cake and eat it too. :D

*Edit: Information updated to main topic post.
Last edited by Zacam on Fri May 12, 2006 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aserone

Re: [Release] Hacked syssetup.dll ->unlocks syssetup.inf&

Post by Aserone » Fri May 12, 2006 6:05 am

Zacam wrote:I like to have cake and eat it too. :D

This is a modified SYSSETUP.DLL that includes the above mentioned skipping of the INF signing verification as well as the disabling of the OOBE. Original credits in INI (and for addon name) are still left to Aserone and Phillippe. OOBE patching done via information found at this MSFN topic, all credits to Gosh and ZoSTeR.

too should be able to combine both functions into 5.1.2600.2659. Which actually is an official build, just from a private update MS KB Article 894871 as one can see.
Thanks for releasing this! Nice, didn't think about that, and if you port them to 5.1.2600.2659 you would save me some time.

Tell me if I should move this one up to the topic, and ofcourse credit you for this release and excellent work, and change the info on "Member Submitted addon packs" to somthing like.

Hacked syssetup.dll ->unlocks syssetup.inf & disables OOBE<- by Zacam & Aserone

Then it will offer both only "syssetup.inf unlocking" and the combined one.
//Aserone-Foxy | EULA: Everything I say/post is a lie and/or forwarded from swim.

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Fri May 12, 2006 6:10 am

*edit 3* lack of sleep rambling deleted
Last edited by Zacam on Sat May 13, 2006 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aserone

Post by Aserone » Fri May 12, 2006 6:52 am

Zacam wrote:You can move it if you'd like, I wasn't really looking for any credits or anything. :-) But I do like the idea of reducing confusion. We should probably also get the hosting moved over to RVM as well.

*edit* I'd also need an original private build of SYSSETUP for best results.

*edit2* I'd also like to find out if I can modify via the addon the Checksum strings so that way QFECheck and what not don't wig out or have setuperr.log list them as being unable to validate the files. Purely for asthetics. UXTheme is easy now that Ryan updated the hacked to match the version in 2.05, just change the checksum to match (which I note that addon doesn't do.)
It's up now, tell me what you think. But I really, really must be going now my *censored* is calling all the f*cking time, because I never show up.

If you can submit the updated post to the "member submitted update packs" and ask ryan for hosting that would be great! I won't be back for a couple of days but if you get them uploaded pm me and I will try to have the page updated.

For everyone original: KB894871.exe containing syssetup.dll --> 5.1.2600.2659

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Fri May 12, 2006 7:05 am

It's good, save the updated main post doesn't contain the link info for the MSFN topic where I got the patching information from, and since it's part of the credits, it should probably be included.

PM'd for local hosting. Thanks for link to original.

Aserone

Post by Aserone » Fri May 12, 2006 7:09 am

Zacam wrote:It's good, save the updated main post doesn't contain the link info for the MSFN topic where I got the patching information from, and since it's part of the credits, it should probably be included.

PM'd for local hosting. Thanks for link to original.
Yeah I saw that one. Didn't think it looked right having it say "at this topic" without link. It's fixed. ;)

Please edit your release post if your content with the updated topic! And once again thanks for releasing this.

I'm off...

PS: I make small changes to posts like no other, i'm a real pain I guess when it comes to that.

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Fri May 12, 2006 9:13 am

*edit: Post updated to Main Topic Post
Last edited by Zacam on Sat May 13, 2006 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aserone

Post by Aserone » Sat May 13, 2006 4:11 am

Sweet mama! You've been busy.

Should I move this up as is for now? Is it ok with you? You've done so much work and the only thing i've done was release the first one, and I never got to patch the new kb version. ;)

Thanks for that btw, still not even near home, friggin laptop.

Anyway it will be hard to reach me if you don't want to have it on the topic. But ofcoarse as soon as I see your post I will act accordingly!

Thanks for making this thread! :P

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Sat May 13, 2006 4:20 am

*chuckles* I tend to do busy in large concentrated doses. I'm amazed that I have any sanity with all the projects I've involved myself in.

And yes, I created the last post with the intention that it could be used, if desired, as the main topic post to save you the hassle of reformating and linking everything.

Also, though I never mentioned it, I am glad you haven't taken this as me hijacking your thread......and I didn't even consider that it could be considered as such with the way I just came in and started updating. So, if by any chance you ever happened to think that, I truely didn't mean it that way.

You made the thread after all and I just, well, went a _leeeetle_ *whamo*. :shock: :oops:

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat May 13, 2006 10:14 am

Nice thread guys :cool:

I think my addon has been officially obsoleted :P
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Z3R0-CooL

Post by Z3R0-CooL » Sat May 13, 2006 11:54 am

who should choose the first 5.1.2600.2180 and who the 5.1.2600.2659

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Sat May 13, 2006 9:49 pm

@Z3R0-CooL: If you have the hotfix listed in the begining of the Topic, and you have it because you are experiencing the issue in the KB Article, then you need 2659. If you don't, or if Ryan doesn't include that in the next UpdatePack, then you need 2180.

Even easier, find your existing install cd that you're using or making and expand the syssetup.dl_ there and look at it's version number.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat May 13, 2006 9:55 pm

I used to include syssetup.dll in the pack prior to 2.0. I won't be adding it back unless it's part of a public fix.

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Sat May 13, 2006 10:49 pm

Good information to have then. I expect then that I'll only have to update this if there's a release that superceed's it then. Whew. :) (on a side note, I was pretty sure I had recalled seeing it included before, now I know I'm not just mis-remembering things)

And hey, I just realized, you said "officially" .... I don't feel all official like. :) Just found something I could do for people, and did it.

nowinscenario

Post by nowinscenario » Tue May 16, 2006 10:23 pm

OK Now I am confused--so with the latest 2.06 update pack, I should use Unlock & OOBE FoxyZacam_Hacked_SYSSETUP_HF_Addon_OOBE_VerSkip.cab ...? But not use RyanVM's syssetup.dll...? And--if I use nLite--NOT tick the box for disabling SFP...? (Also in I noticed RyanVM updated uxtheme.dll--is this more advantageous to use than the nLite tweak for any reason? or is it just for when I use the integrator?)

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue May 16, 2006 10:44 pm

RyanVM's Update Pack 2.0.6 doesn't update syssetup.dll from 5.1.2600.2180 to 5.1.2600.2659 since it doesn't include KB894871. If you aren't using this hotfix you shouldn't use the HF addons from Aserone as mentioned in the first post.

As for the hacked uxtheme.dll, there has been an update since KB908536, and this hotfix is in RyanVM's Update Pack since 2.0.5, so you should use the updated uxtheme.dll hack.
nLite is (afaik) capable of patching both 6.0.2900.2180 and (the updated) 6.0.2900.2845.

nowinscenario

Post by nowinscenario » Tue May 16, 2006 11:05 pm

Wow, ViVa, fast reply! OK, for clarification, then: although I use both methods, my main confusion lies in the nLite method--to conclude,

1) I would use the NON-HF (since, indeed, I'm NOT including KB894871), that is http://addons.ryanvm.net/zacam/FoxyZaca ... erSkip.cab ...?

2) I would NOT use Ryan's syssetup.dll that I have been using (using the above instead) ... ?

3) I WOULD use Ryan's updated uxtheme.dll ...?

4) I would NOT tick the nLite box for patching the uxtheme.dll ...?

But the new nLite may do the same, as far as the uxtheme.dll is concerned--so that probably is irrelevant (I'll try to find out in that fourm for sure). Apparently, though, there is issues with the SFC tick not working in nLite--that's why I'm here looking at the FoxyZacam_Hacked_SYSSETUP_Addon_OOBE_VerSkip.cab possible fix as a working substitute...
Last edited by nowinscenario on Tue May 16, 2006 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue May 16, 2006 11:12 pm

1) I would use Zacam_Hacked_SYSSETUP_Addon_OOBE.cab, no need to use the unlock if you aren't going to edit SYSSETUP.INF (like me).

2) The addon I mentioned at 1) REPLACES Ryan's old syssetup.dll addon, you don't need to use it any more.

3) Yes you should use Ryan's updated uxtheme.dll addon since Update Pack 2.0.5.

4) If you use Ryan's hacked uxtheme.dll addon, you shouldn't patch it again with nLite, since allowing of unsigned themes is already permitted, I wouldn't recommend doing the same thing twice (if possible).

nowinscenario

Post by nowinscenario » Tue May 16, 2006 11:16 pm

Oops, you answered before I finished post edit. Thanks a lot.

I really just need to go to sleep--but I have to finsih a laptop and desktop from scratch by tomorrow, so I guess it's another all-nighter... :(
Last edited by nowinscenario on Tue May 16, 2006 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue May 16, 2006 11:17 pm

Btw, Ryan very secretly told me that if KB894871 will go public one day he would just might include it in his next Update Pack, until then you can manually integrate the hotfix (I believe it's on Xable's share) and use one of the HF addon's Aserone made or forget about the hotfix and use a non HF addon from Aserone. ;)

nowinscenario

Post by nowinscenario » Tue May 16, 2006 11:19 pm

Hmmm, do you think I would find it that valuable? What would your recommendation be: the HF or Non-HF way?

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue May 16, 2006 11:22 pm

Btw, I am using a hacked sfc_os.dll all the time and I don't patch files with nLite to save time.

Personally I use these hacks:

- sys_oc.dll (disable WFP)
- syssetup.dll (disable OOBE after setup, without unlocking SYSSETUP.INF)
- tcpip.sys (100 connections instead of 10)
- usbport.sys (500 Hz instead of 125 Hz)
- uxtheme.dll (allow unsigned themes)

I noticed there wasn't an addon for the USB Port Polling, so I made one in the Update Pack Addons thread for 500 Hz. You can find it here.
Last edited by ViVa on Tue May 16, 2006 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue May 16, 2006 11:23 pm

nowinscenario wrote:Hmmm, do you think I would find it that valuable? What would your recommendation be: the HF or Non-HF way?
No. I would recommend the non-HF unless you are having the following symptoms:
SYMPTOMS
When you use the System Preparation tool (Sysprep.exe) and the Sysprep.inf file to update drivers on a Microsoft Windows XP image, and then you use the File Signature Verification tool (Sigverif.exe) to verify that the system files on the computer are digitally signed, Sigverif.exe may report that some drivers are not digitally signed. This problem may sometimes cause driver-related problems during startup.

This problem does not occur if you add the drivers by including the path of the drivers in the OEMPnPDriversPath section of the Unattend.txt file. This problem also does not occur if the drivers are manually updated.
which I don't think you have (like me). ;)

See KB894871 for yourself.

nowinscenario

Post by nowinscenario » Tue May 16, 2006 11:27 pm

The USB hack is not friendly with mice without tails, though ;-) ... Or has this been corrected without me knowing?

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue May 16, 2006 11:28 pm

No indeed it isn't. :) I will put a notice for that, thanks.

nowinscenario

Post by nowinscenario » Tue May 16, 2006 11:31 pm

Also: a little off the main subject, though still related, but I'm sure you have a quick answer--can I use the remove add-ons with the Integrator to really lighten up the source, THEN re-do THAT mod with nLite to lighten and tweak it even more (THEN, of course, add my own regs and additional mods to the sif and the OEM dirs!)...?

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue May 16, 2006 11:33 pm

In theory you can yes, but I would never do that, since it's almost guarenteed to fail. Either use the removal addons or use nLite is what I would suggest.

nowinscenario

Post by nowinscenario » Tue May 16, 2006 11:34 pm

That's a good idea for the USB warning with respect to wireless (I change back and forth sometimes, too). However, do you really find the performace is radically different? (I haven't ever tried it because of the wireless issue--but for people's puters that don't have wireless, I would hack that if it really made an improvement...)

nowinscenario

Post by nowinscenario » Tue May 16, 2006 11:37 pm

I didn't think the combo would work (because I tried manually deleting some of those things myself, after an nLited mod, and it was a VMware disaster (I don't think I could ever get it farther than the copying files stage!). However, I was just wondering if the CABs did it better than I did.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue May 16, 2006 11:38 pm

nowinscenario wrote:That's a good idea for the USB warning with respect to wireless (I change back and forth sometimes, too). However, do you really find the performace is radically different? (I haven't ever tried it because of the wireless issue--but for people's puters that don't have wireless, I would hack that if it really made an improvement...)
I suggest we take this discussion into the proper thread instead of going further and further off-topic. ;)

Off-topic: I switched back to a mouse with wire since I got sick of replacing batteries all the time, and I must say I notice a performance difference, especially when doing shoot 'm up games. (But it might be my imagination as well of course... who knows. ;) )

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue May 16, 2006 11:40 pm

nowinscenario wrote:I didn't think the combo would work (because I tried manually deleting some of those things myself, after an nLited mod, and it was a VMware disaster (I don't think I could ever get it farther than the copying files stage!). However, I was just wondering if the CABs did it better than I did.
It all depends on what the removal addon's remove and what nLite exactly removes. Personally I think it's a ticket to a crappy OS if you remove things, but that's just my personal opinion.

nowinscenario

Post by nowinscenario » Wed May 17, 2006 12:01 am

OK, let's call the new thread this
Tailess Mice + USB Rate Changing: Ne'er the Twain Shall Meet

=;-}'

We might also get some more feedback on more performance data...

jumz

Re: [Release] Hacked syssetup.dll ->multiple hacks<-

Post by jumz » Thu May 18, 2006 1:47 am

Aserone wrote:... and make it possible to customize Windows installation with some modifications to this INF.
Can someone elaborate? I didn't know this was possible...what modifications can you make?
JuMz

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Thu May 18, 2006 2:57 am

@jumz: Basically, if it's in syssetup.inf, you can modify that INF so that it isn't. Or add something to that INF. Example: Instead of doing an unattended install with the "Components" section listing a slew of things as "Off" you can just remove the references from the syssetup.inf. Which means that instead of blanking _other_ inf's to make it so that it doesn't install, you can just surgically remove it in it's entirety.

You can also do nifty things like completely customize the default creation of the start menu items (and what items are created (or not) by default.

jumz

Post by jumz » Thu May 18, 2006 9:11 am

Zacam wrote:
You can also do nifty things like completely customize the default creation of the start menu items (and what items are created (or not) by default.
Now that sounds like fun. Any references as to where I can get started?
JuMz

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Sat May 20, 2006 3:35 am

@jumz: Well, my first step is always looking at the contents of the file in question. Some of the sections will initially be somewhat confusing, if you're familiar at all with the addons available from here and how INF's work (if not, there is a download here somewhere on the OSR INF Guide) that can assist in making sense of what you're seeing.

Mostly, it's a work of trial-and-error and research.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue May 23, 2006 6:36 pm