[Hack] Usb2Drive compatibility XSetUp

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
ENU_user

[Hack] Usb2Drive compatibility XSetUp

Post by ENU_user » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:28 pm

support for booting xp setup onto usb2 key or HD in raw.
What works?
Basically, everything as far as i can see. After completing this tutorial, your Windows XP install should directly boot off your USB-drive, and be fully upgradable, DirectX games will run, all apps i tested work like normal, speed is the same as with a real HDD (you need USB2 though) - so it is in fact a fine solution as far as i can see.

all technical details are from this web page drive setup instructions where copied

* first step Sorting out the "Bootability" of your USB-Drive
Connect your USB drive to your computer, directly, without a Hub. Then, shut down your computer, disconnect any other hard disk drives from it, and insert your original Windows XP CD into the drive. Start the installation, and proceed to the section where you are allowed to pick a hard drive.
NOTE: If it goes beyond the partition selection, your USB drive is already fine for booting Windows XP.
If not you will get an error like "Windows is unable to find your drive, partition, data etc bla". This is usually not a big problem. All you need to do is "properly" format the drive. get this HP tool
and use it to NTFS format your USB2 HDD completely.

* next step installing xp
Shut down your computer. Disconnect ANY internal and external hard drives (so Windows cannot find them during installation and mess up their Master Boot Records hehe). Some computers will have trouble to boot without an internal HDD attached, check in your BIOS and, if possible, remove the HDD from the boot sequence and set the USB Harddisk as the first boot device, and the CDROM as second.
Also, now connect your USB Harddrive directly to the computer

* Windows should install just fine, with these exceptions:

1. During driver installation, the USB drivers will prompt you, as they are "not certified" - This is normal. Our changes invalidated the checksum, and therefore the driver is no longer signed. Just press "yes" a couple of times.
2. Upon completion of the install, the system will complain once on the first bootup that the pagefile does not exist. You can ignore this for now, as Windows will work fine without it. People are looking at fixing this issue, but its not critical for now.

* Once everything is up and running , shut down and reconnect all your drives.

Image:Release: 09.02.24 / v 2 / 9b1964be0a9e35038cbe13de7907ed8b / RVM Integrator only

Code: Select all

updated to reflect webpage updates and changes
Last edited by ENU_user on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:07 am, edited 30 times in total.

T D

Post by T D » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:30 pm

Nice find! A bit buggy-a lot sometimes but it is off a pendrive I suppose.

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:58 pm

but it is off a pendrive I suppose.
yes a big capacity pen drive to b able to fit windows or for regular usb2 hdd
the web page includes bugs relevents
but im sure those who are interested in this using some experience will very soon turn it to a clean setup install (give it time ;) )

T D

Post by T D » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:22 am

Maybe MicroWinX will be able to fit it on my 128mb pen drive :P
But it should work.

spidercop

Post by spidercop » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:34 pm

i wil try later with my 4gb usb pen drive dont have much time now but wil try looks good en usb stick have nice speed wanne see the difference in time from installing from dvd en then from usb but i think instal time must be half of time from usb then from dvd

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:30 am

i'd sure be interested installing windows xp via usb thumbdrive rather than a cd/dvdrom, but im a little confused by your explanations....

can it be done actually? and what are the limitations / problems? is it at the 2nd part

and then whats your addon for? what does your addon do?

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:25 am

well..
first to my understanding this guid isnt meant for installing windows xp via usb thumb drive rather than a cd/dvdrom,..

i have made this addon to be used with integrator using the instructions 1 = 1 from the web page

it is a none supported feature in the xp-cd and since their are no integration methods for like " official cd hotfixes " yet
so this is mainly a trick way to make the setup available for usb2 o/s install as well
as for the pen-drive you will need a bios\board that can possibly detect it as an existing hd
as for limitations / problems? ..at the 2nd part
i would just add Driver Signing","Policy" entries in to setup's inf hive's

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:34 am

The driver signing policy doesn't always work, unless you also add it to the Winnt.sif file as well...
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

zeus_hunt

Post by zeus_hunt » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:01 am

Is there a way to install WinXP from USB2 drive ?
Knowledge is a process of pilling up facts; Wisdom lies in their simplification.....
Knowledge is learning something everyday; Wisdom is letting go of something everyday....

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

TheSickman

Post by TheSickman » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:02 am

tanks for the info m8

I followed the instructions on
http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176

and it wurked

i had to put back the old files from the SP1 cd though

with the files from sp2
it didn't wurk for me
on a english version and also on a dutch version

in i386
USBPORT.sy_
USBHUB.sy_
USBSTOR.sy_
USBCCGP.sy_
USBUHCI.sy_
USBOHCI.sy_
USBD.sy_

and in driver.cab
USBPORT.sys
USBHUB.sys
USBSTOR.sys
USBCCGP.sys
USBUHCI.sys
USBOHCI.sys
USBD.sys

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:45 am

well done!

did you try it without using those files from the updatepack
which updates:

usbehci.sys
usbhub.sys
usbohci.sys
usbport.sys

finding the minimum changes
i will update the addon accordingly

jumz

Post by jumz » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:43 pm

TheSickman wrote:tanks for the info m8

I followed the instructions on
http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176

and it wurked

i had to put back the old files from the SP1 cd though

with the files from sp2
it didn't wurk for me
on a english version and also on a dutch version

in i386
USBPORT.sy_
USBHUB.sy_
USBSTOR.sy_
USBCCGP.sy_
USBUHCI.sy_
USBOHCI.sy_
USBD.sy_

and in driver.cab
USBPORT.sys
USBHUB.sys
USBSTOR.sys
USBCCGP.sys
USBUHCI.sys
USBOHCI.sys
USBD.sys
Can anyone else confirm this? Do I have to replace the files listed above with original SP1 files or Does the addon already do this? Thanks!
JuMz

elec999

Post by elec999 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:44 pm

I tried this mod, and after selection the drive to install to, I get
.sif error line 1, inputdevices support key usbstor.
Thanks

elec999

Post by elec999 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:22 pm

I have tried again, and again, still nothing. I get the bluescreen saying something is wrong with the disk, and to run chkdsk /f. After first boot.
Thanks

cworkman

Post by cworkman » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:51 am

The Guide @ http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176 States To Repack The Inf's To The Original State I Notice That The Files In This Addon Are Just Inf's Which Might Be Why People Are Gettin Errors :?

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:05 am

all files should get repacked to their original except usbboot.inf which is new

cworkman

Post by cworkman » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:45 am

Ah Ok Well Then I Will Give This Addon A Try :D

cworkman

Post by cworkman » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:40 pm

Hi I Just Installed XP SP2 On My USB HardDrive And At First Got the Blue Screen Of Death But I Had Vista Installed On My Internal Drive i did 5 things

1. Resized The Partition That XP Was Installed On!

2. Edited The Boot.ini

So That It Pointed To Disk 1 Which Vista Was Installed On DIsk 0

Then Used The Boot Menu To Boot From USB HardDrive As That Allowed Me To Successfully Startup XP.. (bios Still Set To Boot From Internal HardDrive)

3. I Changed The Boot.ini Settings Back To The Original settings!

4. Then Removed The Internal Drive.

5. Change The Boot Up Option To Boot From USB Drive.

ANd Its All Workin GREAT!!!

Didn't Use This Addon Had Vista Installed RyanVM Integrator Doesn't Work on That OS But Just Wanted To Help Someone If I Could :D

cworkman

Post by cworkman » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:17 pm

cworkman wrote:Hi I Just Installed XP SP2 On My USB HardDrive And At First Got the Blue Screen Of Death But I Had Vista Installed On My Internal Drive i did 5 things

1. Resized The Partition That XP Was Installed On!

2. Edited The Boot.ini

So That It Pointed To Disk 1 Which Vista Was Installed On DIsk 0

Then Used The Boot Menu To Boot From USB HardDrive As That Allowed Me To Successfully Startup XP.. (bios Still Set To Boot From Internal HardDrive)

3. I Changed The Boot.ini Settings Back To The Original settings!

4. Then Removed The Internal Drive.

5. Change The Boot Up Option To Boot From USB Drive.

ANd Its All Workin GREAT!!!

Didn't Use This Addon Had Vista Installed RyanVM Integrator Doesn't Work on That OS But Just Wanted To Help Someone If I Could :D
But You Do Gotta Press ctrl+alt+delete B4 It Will Actually Show The Desktop!!! Then Once You Get Into Windows Disable Virtual Memory. Then You Got A Workin No Error Verison Of Windows XP SP2 USB Edition!!!

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:27 am

I notice you like investigating all these ways of setting up windows faster.... got any idea how i can initiate a windows installation via pxe? if this is possible, its the best

Fixt00l

Post by Fixt00l » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:15 am

How about a bootable ISO to USB HDD/FLASH?It contains a Win PE with may programs, Hiren boot cd, and sevreal bore bootdisks, all in one ISO file.I tried FLASHBOOT, but I wasn`t able to do it.Any ideas?It is freeware win pe, so I can provide a link.The most fantastic ever reasue cd it is...

Rudi1

Post by Rudi1 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:33 pm

You know me ENU_user,so i must ask you one guestion about this addon.
I'am really glad that you made it,but I like to ask you if this method also work if we use nlite or remove addons?If it work I guess that we must first use nlite and then this addon?

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:26 pm

* Fixt00l , its funny you bring this up, i really did go about this a few days ago with ms winPE diagnostic .. but it had nag in it so i had to let it go ;)

if you are sure the link you got is freeware related, you can post it and
I will look into making something of it for you

* Rudi1 these are only modified inf files on I386 i don't think it matters to nlite, but if you want to be sure,
do it after nlite

cheers

SymSpaceT

Post by SymSpaceT » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:14 am

Hello All,

To clear up a few things, somewhat confused in this thread:

This addon is a SPECIAL addon. You are not adding, updating or removing something from an original WinXP installation source (as is the case with the other addons discussed in this forum), but actually hacking (patching) the inner workings of a sub-section of the installation process.
BACKGROUND
If you try to install WinXP onto medium which is connected via a USB interface (example: your external hard drive connected to your computer via usb), the installation procedure will fail after the reboot from the textmode part of the setup. You get a BSOD with 0x7b error. This is because the folks at Microsoft did not think Windows should be installed on anything removable. It is not that they had gone out of their way to prevent it, but simply did not design the booting part of the setup so that it can handle USB-connected media. The modification described
on the homepage of this hack is aimed at adding this ability by changing when and how the usb drivers load and some kind of timing around this.
It might be important to note that this patch is necessary not only for the installation, but for the running of WinXP as well after the installation from an external USB connected drive.

Three things to mention:

1. It is possible to use USB 1.1 - connected drives. The installation will be painfully slow as will any subsequent application installation on the OS. However, once the system is up and running as you like it, doing simple office work and internet browsing is at an accepatable speed.

2. Outstanding Issue
The modification does hack the boot procedure, but, as it turns out, there is a second issue to actually completely enable WinXP to run from an USB medium: the placement of the page file. Windows refuses to place the pagefile on what it considers a removable media (obviously), so when it finds itself to be completely on a removable media (and no internal disk in sight), it gives an error message.
Otherwise, it places the pagefile on any internal disk it finds. For example, in my case, when I ran this system from my external USB drive, it placed its pagefile on my internal disk.

3. The hack changes USB driver files, so the digital signature of these files will be broken. You will get the unsigned driver warning during installation and whenever you plug in a new USB device

I did make this mod on a WinXPPro SP2 English-US as described and it worked for me with no problems.
Additionally:
- In case of an external hard drive: if you take it out of the rack and put it into the computer as an internal disk and run this modded OS from there it will also run without problems
- You can use sysprep on it and it will behave as expected.

I have not yet used it with this whole update pack integration, so I don't know if any of these addons-updates mess it up.
Anybody knows?

Cheers:

SymSpaceT
Last edited by SymSpaceT on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bober101

Post by bober101 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:41 am

could we inetgrate this and expect it to run on a normal hdd?so if the user chooses to install via usb or via optical drive it will still work?

i re-read the 1st post info and i found somewhta of an answer to my question,"this is only to b used as stand alone for booting from usb do NOT use this addon for regular none usb HD!
this changes how the xpcd boot's once used
"
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources

SymSpaceT

Post by SymSpaceT » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:29 pm

I need to do some more explaining.

Forget about all the integration stuff for the moment. We go back to basics. When installing WinXP, theoretically you have the following basic situations:

Case#1
Installation is FROM a standard source and you are installing ONTO a standard target.
As of today, for WinXP, as Microsoft designed it:
the standard installation source can be CD-DVD disc, floppy diskette (for the boot part) and network share, while the standard target can only be a single type , namely an internal hard disk
Example#1: installing from a CD onto the internal hard disk of a computer

Case#2
Installation is FROM a standard source and you are installing ONTO a non-standard target.
Non-Standard target: external USB hard drives, external firewire hard drive, USB pendrive
Example#2: installing from an internal CD drive onto a USB-connected extrernal drive

Case#3
Installation is FROM a NON-standard source and you are installing ONTO a standard target.
Non-Standard medium as before.
Example#3: installing from an installation source on a USB-connected hard drive onto an internal drive of a computer.

Case#4 - you guessed it:
Installation is FROM a NON-standard source and you are installing ONTO a NON-standard target.
Example#4: Installing from an installation source on a firewire-connected hard drive onto a USB pendrive

Now then...

On this forum we are in the framework of Case#1 and within this framework, we are trying to create a really good installation source.
This "addon" (hopefully) enables our nicely prepared installation source to be used in Case#2 as well. This addon and instructions attached to it does NOT do/say anything about cases #3 and #4.

It seems to me that people confuse Case#2 with Case#3: Installing from a standard source ONTO an USB hard disk is -naturally- not the same as installing FROM a non-standard source (example: USB pendrive) onto an internal hard drive (standard target). The confusion is somewhat natural: since we are always talking about what to do with the installation source and installation (Case#1), when this "USB thing" gets dropped into the conversation without carefully defining exactly what we mean by it, people tend to think its another thing about their beloved installation source/installation process and not the about the target.

Now, about your question:
bober101 wrote:could we inetgrate this and expect it to run on a normal hdd?so if the user chooses to install via usb or via optical drive it will still work?"
This "addon" will (hopefully) enable you to use your nicely (integrated, updated, slimmed, unattended etc) prepared installation source as a standard installation source to be installed ONTO and ran on a non standard target. The non-standard target for this hack is only USB connected media, firewire drives are not handled (and were only used as an example before).

OK? :rolleyes:

Now, what is likely to happen is that this "addon" simply expands the capability of our (standard) installation source to be able to also handle USB-connected media as target while retaining the normal capability of installing onto internal hard drives as usual. However, this has not been tested yet (by me at least). You probably can read much more about this on the forum of this tool's website (see link in previous posts).

SymSpaceT

SymSpaceT

Post by SymSpaceT » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:14 pm

Some more clarification:

As of now, I don't know:

1. (likely to be true) Whether our beloved installation source, modified this way, will still install the normal way (i.e.: from CD to internal disk)
2. Whether the update pack or any other addon messes this up

Also of note:

Remember, just because you install WinXP this way onto a usb hard drive or a pendrive connected to your computer, the installed system will not be "portable". It will be "adapted" to the computer's hardware you used to intall it with in the same way as an os installed onto the internal hard drive would be. In order to carry this installation with you and use it on other computers, you need to shut it down in a special way (so that when you boot it on another computer, it "conducts" a mini-setup to enumerate the new environment's hardware. The main function of installiing WinXP this way is to have a "reserve" full-blown operating system at hand for the original computer, in case disaster strikes or whatever. As far as a "mobile" winXP is concerned, BartPE is a better (but limited) solution. Of course, if you want a portable full-blown WinXP available this way, then this is your solution, but you have to use sysprep to shut it down every time (not a very big deal, once you get used to it, but that's another story)

Cheers,

SymSpaceT

bober101

Post by bober101 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:33 pm

yeah this isint a pe ,its prety clear that it is to alow the system to be installed on a usb memory chip.. :rolleyes: ...lol .i just hope it will not affect the system when installed on a normall hdd.

also:
This "addon" will (hopefully) enable you to use your nicely (integrated, updated, slimmed, unattended etc) prepared installation source as a standard installation source to be installed ONTO and ran on a non standard target. The non-standard target for this hack is only USB connected media, firewire drives are not handled (and were only used as an example before).

OK?

i checked out the entries.ini and heres a sample :

ohci1394.sys|ohci1394 = ohci1394.sys<NEXT>usbehci  = usbehci.sys<NEXT>usbohci  = usbohci.sys<NEXT>usbuhci  = usbuhci.sys<NEXT>usbhub   = usbhub.sys<NEXT>usbstor  = usbstor.sys|1
rvmtemp\txtsetup.sif|ohci1394,ohci1394|ohci1394,ohci1394<NEXT>usbehci = "Erweiterter 
if as mentioned above this is for usb only and firewire dosent have anything to do with this,then why are we finding 1394(firewire)entires to be modifyed in txtsetup.sif???
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:26 pm

bober101 wrote:if as mentioned above this is for usb only and firewire dosent have anything to do with this,then why are we finding 1394(firewire)entires to be modified in txtsetup.sif???
bober101 thats only an entries point used for the edits @ location ..

however .. i found descriptions are deferent for the usb drivers :

sp3 :

usbehci  = "Enhanced Host Controller",files.usbehci,usbehci
usbohci  = "Open Host Controller",files.usbohci,usbohci
usbuhci  = "Universal Host Controller",files.usbuhci,usbuhci
usbhub   = "Generic USB Hub Driver",files.usbhub,usbhub
usbstor  = "USB Storage Class Driver",files.usbstor,usbstor
the addon uses :

usbehci = "Erweiterter Hostcontroller",files.usbehci,usbehci
usbohci = "Open Hostcontroller",files.usbohci,usbohci
usbuhci = "Universeller Hostcontroller",files.usbuhci,usbuhci
usbhub = "Standard-USB-Hubtreiber",files.usbhub,usbhub
usbstor = "USB-Speicherklassentreiber",files.usbstor,usbstor
not sure how that matters ,but possibly it does ..
to collect if there are any more specific SP descriptions .. please post them !
for driver warning you will need to tweak winnt.sif
* make a strong tweak to disable page file in the Gui startup

* later i can add the winntsif entries into this addon
if you\someone comes up with a tweak to disable pagefile that worked!
i can add it in as well ..

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:16 am

i seem to remember people having luck putting the pagefile on a RAMdrive.. not clear how they did but i do recall reading about it :)

good luck

TechnoHunter

grundthal

XP Embedded features and portable OS

Post by grundthal » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:52 am

I am working on (dreaming about?) a car PC with a portable USB flash drive that I could take out and use as a bootable OS drive on other computers so I can have my setup at hand (UI settings, apps & music files, etc) wherever I am. Obviously it would only work on computers with BIOS set up to allow USB boot (i.e. not most library/university computers) and I'd potentially have to keep a huge driver library depending on how well I'd want it to work on a wide variety of systems but it would still be nice. Sure there are other options that are functionally quite similar (buy a laptop...) but the main attraction is just that it would be cool.

There must be a few ways that you could make a portable USB installation that automatically sysprep's from the same setup image every time; i guess it would sort of be an XP implementation of Knoppix. I have basically no time until summer (right now, I should be studying for a big test) so I'll just share my ideas for now.

My worry about doing sysprep shutdowns (not that I've read much about them) is that something would get messed up if there's an unexpected shutdown (power failure etc). In comes EWF.

EWF (Enhanced Write Filter), from WinXP Embedded (XPe), redirects all system writes to RAM, which is also particularly nice for flash memory since it has a relatively limited age (supposedly breaks down after "only" about 1 million writes per bit) and can be slow. Sort of like putting the page file on a RAM drive (which seems stupid, but so is XP's memory management).

Another XPe component is First Boot agent, which handles RunOnce-type stuff and reportedly works as a replacement for Sysprep. (sounds like it could be interesting to include with integrators like RyanVM's and nLite...) FBA is documented here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms912927.aspx

This guide describes using some cool XPe features (MinLogon, Enhanced Write filter, Hibernate Once Resume Many) in a car PC: http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/w ... cks_Chap1/

per above, trial version of XPe (and thus the system files) can be acquired here
http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/wind ... fault.aspx
(though probably not actually legal to use the files for anything but "evaluating" XPe within the 120 day period...)

This might be tough to implement as a writeable drive, though the CarPC guide shows how to turn off EWF and save all changes to the image. (hmm, but if you're doing that it would save any changes made by sysprep/FBA...) obviously I'm getting confused here; there's a lot to consider, Maybe use a static system partition and a separate non-EWF partition for some programs (seems there would always be some that wouldn't like this), documents, etc?

More on HORM (resume from a static hiberfil.sys file - useful for fast boots, though of course it you're hoping to use the same installation on several different hardware setups it'd be silly... maybe could be implemented such that you have a hiberfil.sys for your primary PC, e.g. the car?):
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/ ... 73462.aspx

Not really a finished idea but it seems like some really cool setups could come out of this.

(Sure, might be a little late now that vista's out, though i think XP can still everything useful that Vista does; SLIzone is even developing quad SLI drivers. the system components are compatible enough seems like there are ways to basically convert Vista back to XP... but that's an argument for another day... )
Last edited by grundthal on Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:14 pm

The problem with semi-permanent car PC installations is the severely shortened lifespans of temperature sensitive mechanical components (such as hard drives). This might not be so bad in southern California or Florida where temperatures stay relatively decent, but up here in Michigan I can tell you that the small form factor hard drives in iPods won't last more than a year; especially if you're moving the drives between temperature extremes frequently without allowing the component temperatures to stabilize between uses.

In my opinion, you might be better off trying to use flash memory based storage. It's much more expensive per gigabyte and is read/write cycle limited, but temperature/condensation related failures should be less likely.

grundthal

Post by grundthal » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:35 pm

yup, hard drives are dumb for cars. I actually wrote "hard drive" when I was thinking a USB flash drive, maybe SDHC or something. whoops. edited.

Fragbert

Post by Fragbert » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:01 pm

SymSpaceT wrote: Case#3
Installation is FROM a NON-standard source and you are installing ONTO a standard target.
Non-Standard medium as before.
Example#3: installing from an installation source on a USB-connected hard drive onto an internal drive of a computer.
Off topic, but is there a reliable method to achieve case #3? I troll through MSFN forums and dont see a definitive answer, just a lot of threads with inconclusive conjecture.

grundthal

Post by grundthal » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:19 pm

Fragbert:
DisabledTrucker seemed to have a long and involved method of how to do it for a VM:
http://www.msfn.org/board/boot-install- ... tml&st=104
but that doesn't quite seem to do it, yet. Dunno about reliable, either.

There's a lot of cool stuff that could be done.
EDIT: wow, there's a lot of stuff I missed on MSFN...
http://www.msfn.org/board/install-XP-USB-t111406.html looks like a sort of finished solution(?)
Last edited by grundthal on Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:44 pm

well actually there is no magic way of doing it with a press of a button
as you have to get past the compatibility test of the hard drive if the drive is compatible
then you go on to the next step if not back to base one .etc

besides ...i need to update this addon now to how its supposed to be
will only test some .and keep you posted ...

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:13 am

Now if they could stable a way to install XP _from_ a USB-(Hard Drive or Flash Memory), then I would be happy.

I do not think you could get it to do both though. Funny as that would be.

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:37 am

topic updated: scratched out "do NOT use this addon for regular none usb HD! "

after all, All this addon does is add compatibility support in booting the cd setup into usb2 key or HD in raw.

meaning it is simply a usb2 addon support for the setup of XP (so it can be also used on..guess what )

it doesn't prepare the drives if they are not compatible and it wont change the bios boot settings .etc

addon fixed & updated! ;)

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:54 am

Zacam wrote:Now if they could stable a way to install XP _from_ a USB-(Hard Drive or Flash Memory), then I would be happy.

I do not think you could get it to do both though. Funny as that would be.
i was thinking multi boot with a small menu
in preparing the drive if not formated, changing the boot directly or finding the usb2key/HD attached & deploying a restart that will start with the new settings in the bios & if it can have an easy walk through ...
ill be happy to try updating this to do that ...
if anyone has a script with tools that can do some of this, its an open discussion for the tryouts ..

the kits found here :
http://www.msfn.org/board/Install-XP-USB-f157.html
are for getting the cd onto usb2 so you will be using usb2 key for the cd

sipo

Post by sipo » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:25 pm

The normal setup cd works for me not if I want to install on usb harddisk. It can`t even format the disk.

Now about the addon, downloaded and tested it today. I did use an iso and mounted it. Windows unattended made by winfuture xp iso creator (worked always very well). It`s XP Profesional SP2 Corperate (German localized). With RaynVM I did integrate the addon. (I think it`s the same error someone else already reported)

Unfortunately the addon did not work for me.

The setup stopped with a message translated "sif file is not there or damaged" "value 1 in line of section [BootBusExtenders]" "can not continue installation".

I am highly interested in a working addon.

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:53 pm

had used this mod on a real setup. for a regular install.. (none usb HD) & no errors.

* if you are looking for extra help with this .. try to describe better how this error shows up. or for a start, link the modified txtsetup.sif somewhere ( it may be a bad integration! )
&post the (before) & (after) if you can ..

DyceFreak

Post by DyceFreak » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:08 pm

sipo wrote:The normal setup cd works for me not if I want to install on usb harddisk. It can`t even format the disk.

Now about the addon, downloaded and tested it today. I did use an iso and mounted it. Windows unattended made by winfuture xp iso creator (worked always very well). It`s XP Profesional SP2 Corperate (German localized). With RaynVM I did integrate the addon. (I think it`s the same error someone else already reported)

Unfortunately the addon did not work for me.

The setup stopped with a message translated "sif file is not there or damaged" "value 1 in line of section [BootBusExtenders]" "can not continue installation".

I am highly interested in a working addon.
got the same thing using the addon/rvmint :? on 3 different attempts. with different integration processes each time... same thing.

using the core info on the hack though, I added it manually to get it to work... would love to see this addon working.

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:30 am

it maybe a limitation where the addon needs to remove certain lines containing spaces using [keydelete] with integrator

for now you can edit the addon to match-up with the used txtsetup.sif so it doesn't get corrupted
make sure the lines in the addon are the exact same ones showing in txtsetup.sif (including any spaces in lines)
so the changes to txtsetup.sif turns OK ..

look for the differences & you will get this addon working!

future integrator may fix an issue.. overriding the need to declare exact line contents with any spaces..
..allowing flexible line removals in sections

ykgie

Post by ykgie » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:48 am

I386\TXTSETUP.SIF,InputDevicesSupport,usbehci = usbehci.sys

Whether This should

I386\TXTSETUP.SIF,InputDevicesSupport.Load,usbehci = usbehci.sys

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:02 am

the addon, was changed to use [editfile] from the last time it was updated
[keydelete] still isnt working for me even with the edits corrected

got around all that now ;)

updated!

AndreyPopov

Post by AndreyPopov » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:07 am

ENU_user wrote:the addon, was changed to use [editfile] from the last time it was updated
[keydelete] still isnt working for me even with the edits corrected

got around all that now ;)

updated!
may be the best way is use DummyUSB driver from HP(Compaq) ??????
with txtsetup.oem ?????

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp2150 ... P21828.EXE

this can integrate into distributive only must be added inf file for succefully integration, for example your usbstor.inf ?????

Tox!c

Post by Tox!c » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:36 pm

i have a problem.. I'm working on an Acer aspire 5100. I went through the formatting, the file-copying and reboot. it even shows the first windows logo with the bar.. and when in should start the installation, it crashes. some error with lsass.exe. I'm using a clean xp sp2, not using any hubs.. the disk is ntfs formatted, has 100gb..
any ideas?

EDIT: it isn't always the same error.. it just pops up, and reboots the comp.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 400 character limit

HTML is OFF
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:37 pm

the HomePage for this Hack has been updated plus it now has a small forum built for it

the addon is changed in edits plus I now included some *.sys and *.COM files for the integration

try with or out those files at first - building an addon without the *.sys and *.COM files

I'm not sure how those files are really needed ..

check the forum and page for updates & off course report anything that worked .etc

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:25 pm

bump!! the link is back

armond

Post by armond » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:07 am

Hi, ENU_user,
You said: "ignore case 1. (taken care of in this addon)".
How you do that?
I want to try the addon without the included system files.
So I will not receive the "Digital Signature Not Found" messages?
I'm also using "DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore" and "NonDriverSigningPolicy = Ignore" in my WINNT.SIF.
Thanks.