Unknown SFW Exception/Runtime error in IE6

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
Bazza

Unknown SFW Exception/Runtime error in IE6

Post by Bazza » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:21 am

Apologies if this isn't the right forum.

I just re-installed WinXP Pro SP2 using the lastest RVMI, Updatepack & a number of addons. I then used nLite to remove just a few components -- Security center, MSN, Windows Messenger, Briefcase & few other minor ones. I didn't remove any of the Languages (removing languages that I thought I didn't need to view webpages, etc. is what caused my problem on my previous install), keyboards, drivers or anything that else that seemed even remotely important. Nor did I use nLite to apply either the TCP/IP or Theme patches.

Anyway, when I download a file via IE6 AND specify a new or different target filename & then close that IE6 session, it abends with:

Code: Select all

IEXPLORE.EXE Application Error
The exception unknown software exception (0x0eedfade) occurred in the application at location 0x7c812a23
Followed by:

Runtime error 217 at 0367F452 (or 035AF452)
If I DL the file WITHOUT changing it's filename then IE6 does NOT abend.

I've Googled but haven't really found anything, so far.

I'm hoping, even praying, that someone here might be able to assist in identifying the likely cause & possible fix.

I didn't use that many addons & none of them look like they might cause the problem.

Anyway, I used the following PGM/Patch addons:

Kels_WGA_addon_1.5.540.cab
RogueSpearAddonsDotNET11SP120-VJ1120.zip
Boooggy_WMAddon.7z
Kels_Runtimes_addon_v1.4.CAB
microsoft_java_addons.cab
RogueSpearAddonsISScript.cab
Shock_Wave_Player_addon_v101318.cab
PatchAddon_TCPIP.cab
PatchAddon_UXTHEME.cab
The remaining addons were CP Extensions, Win Shell Extensions, Fonts & the VSPack_lumina.cab combination Visual Style addon.

Looking at Kels_Runtimes I now notice that v1.4 added msjava.dll. Is it possible there's a conflict with the MS_Java_addon? But then again, I'm DL'ing a file not running a Java app.

Since the actual install I've installed the remaining chipset/network/sound/printer drivers ... I tried the Driverpacks but they installed some incorrect or incomplete drivers for my MB, sound & graphic card. None of them are new, except for the ATI Radeon drivers (updated vers) they are the same drivers I've been using for ages.

I haven't installed much else because of this problem, nor have I applied any registry hacks that I haven't done so previously.

I'm afraid I don't know where to look or what to change to fix the problem. All I know is that I didn't have this problem prior to this latest install, so I must have done something wrong somewhere. :? :cry:

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:37 pm

It seems that I'm the only one having this problem, since I've recieved no replies either here or in the other forums/NG's that I asked this Q (I'm not being critical of anyone).

In addition, I've had the SAME failure in some utility pgms after clicking on the save/close button in a save file dialog.

In the system even log, I get:
  • Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Application Popup
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 26
    Date: 13/08/2006
    Time: 10:01:59 pm
    User: N/A
    Computer: MY-COMPUTER1
    Description:
    Application popup: IEXPLORE.EXE - Application Error : The exception unknown software exception (0x0eedfade) occurred in the application at location 0x7c812a23
For more information, see Help and Support Center at h**p://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp ... which says:
  • * Ensure that the program user has sufficient privileges to access the directory in which the driver is installed.
    * Reinstall the program to restore the driver to the correct location.
The "user" has admin rights & what driver? Device mngr says, ALL devices are working correctly.

Not much help ... to me anyway.

Also, the windows shell frequently "abends". For example, everytime I update the menu Windows Explorer or go to Folder Options & Apply the view to all folders ...
  • Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Winlogon
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1002
    Date: 13/08/2006
    Time: 5:28:14 pm
    User: N/A
    Computer: MY-COMPUTER1
    Description:
    The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at h**p://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp ... Which says:
  • The shell stopped unexpectedly and was restarted.
Gee wiz.

Anyway, I've done a number of new builds & installs ... gave up on VPC04 ... it's so sloooowwwwww, much quicker to use Ghost to restore my C_Drive after each test.

The most recent build/install includes JUST Updatepack v2.1.0, no addons & no nLite, yet both problems still persist.

I DON'T have enough knowledge of windows, etc. etc, nor the time to investigate any further ... I NEED to get this PC going again.

I have NO idea whether either or both of these problems are due to a bug in the update pack and/or a problem with one or more of the fixes.

A few weeks back I did a build/install using RVMI v1.4.0 to intregrate Updatepack v2.0.7a & essentially the same addons. Followed by nLite to remove some components (I removed some languages that I shouldn't have, hence this new build/install). Except for the language problems everything else worked fine. I certainly didn't experience either of these 2 problems.

As I see it, I've got 3 options:

1. Go back to Updatepack v2.0.7a
2. Install a "standard" SP2 & use something like AutoPatcher to apply the updates
3. 1&2 (most likely choice)
4. Wait for the next Updatepack & hope that the problem has been fixed ... somehow.

Right now, I'm frustrated, angry, bla, bla, not to mention very tired. Time for a few hours sleep.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:28 pm

Try making your image minus nLite. If it works then you'll know for sure that it's something you're doing with that and you can focus on your selected options there.

Just for the record, I also use nLite to remove a few minor things, including a boatload of languages and keyboard layouts, and I've never had this problem before.

techtype

Post by techtype » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:51 pm

Bazza wrote: The most recent build/install includes JUST Updatepack v2.1.0, no addons & no nLite, yet both problems still persist.
If you really did just the Updatepack using just the Integrator, then you have a corrupted pack or corrupted source.

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:40 pm

RogueSpear wrote:Try making your image minus nLite.
As per my post, I did NOT use nLite or any addons on my current image, just the update pack.
RogueSpear wrote:Just for the record, I also use nLite to remove a few minor things, including a boatload of languages and keyboard layouts, and I've never had this problem before.
Normally I don't need to remove any languages or keyboards, however, at the time I was trying to make room for the DriverPacks, so I removed almost all of the languages & keyboards knowing; well, at least thinking, that I that could install them later if/when needed ... I tried a DVD but I couldn't get it to boot (I suspect my mobo doesn't support booting from a DVD).

Anyway, when I went to a webpage that required a language I didn't have installed, windows would ask to install it.

I put ORIGINAL WinXP Pro SP2 CD in the drive & click OK.

Windows then complained about a missing DLL ... can't remember it's name.

I presume when I selected the various languages to be removed nLite also removed the DLL('s) that windows needs to dynamically install them later. Not very smart *if* my presumation is correct.

In any event that's the error I was getting.
techtype wrote:If you really did just the Updatepack using just the Integrator, then you have a corrupted pack or corrupted source.
Why to you say that? I've downloaded the updatepack 2 or 3 times and none of them are corrupted since their MD5 hashes match what is written on the webpage. If the file was corrupted in any way, I would expect the MD5 hashes to be different.

As I said, in my update ... I DON'T KNOW exactly what is causing the problem. If the problem is caused by a buggy MS fix (and 1 of the August fixes is causing problems for SOME people & MS has released a hot fix for it!!!) then I would expect this problem to occur again once it has been installed, irrespective of the installation method.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:30 pm

Yea I didn't catch that the first time around, but then again it was toward the bottom of two long posts :P

Well if the MD5 sums check out for the Update Pack, my next suspect would be your OS source. I mention this from personal experience. It took me a good long while and a lot of hair pulling til I narrorwed it down too. If like me you are using a mounted .ISO file as your source, maybe try to make a fresh .ISO from a hologram disc.

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:22 pm

Apologies for the long posts. I felt that I needed include all the info to fully explain my problems.
RogueSpear wrote:If like me you are using a mounted .ISO file as your source, maybe try to make a fresh .ISO from a hologram disc.
I'm not using a mounted ISO but my source CD is a genuine hologram disc -- WinXP Pro SP2 Upgrade. I simply copy everything to a dir on my C_Drive & specify a new output dir when I integrate with RVMI. I also start afresh for every build ... quicker Ghost bkup/restore.

and yes, I felt like pulling my hair ... :? :?

Anyway, it's a nice fine sunny day here in Melbourne, so I've been doing some gardening ... I *need* some time away from the computer. I'm also out ALL day tommorrow, so it might be Tuesday night or even Wednesday before I try again.

----------
FYI ... The problem with 1 of the August patches mentioned above is:

Security Bulletin: MS06-042
Update: KB918899

"Some users have seen IE6 SP1 unexpectedly exit after installing the 918899 update."

Further info & work-arounds:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923762
Hotfix available

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:15 am

...it doesn't affect XPSP2
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:08 am

Oops, guilty of not checking ... come across the reference on another forum & made some assumptions. :oops:

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:41 am

Even RyanVM's Integrator can crash with this error:

This is the 1st time RVMI itself has crashed.

It occurred after yet another install (using v2.1.1 of the updatepack) actually failed during the windows install with a "file not copied correctly" error ... even though the erase, burn AND verify ALL worked aOK. I restored my C_Drive from Ghost & was doing another build after throwing the CD in the bin .... mind you I felt like doing more than just simply throwing it in the bin.

and to answer any Q's re: file corruption ALL the MD5 sigs are OK.

:cry: :x :cry:

ton80

Post by ton80 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:01 am

Ton80

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:56 am

@ton80

Nope. As Ryan pointed out earlier that's a SP1 problem & not a problem with SP2.

This problem occurs when a pgm opens a file dialog or window ... 95%+ it's the SAVE filename dialog but occasionally the open file dialog.

The pgm I used to take to snapshot also failed with the same error because it to opened a file dialog so that I could specify the location & filename to save the snapshot to.

What's interesting is that I can "solve" nearly, but not all of the IE6 download file errors by specifying the autoclose option on the dialog.

PS. The actual file itself downloads or is saved aOK ... the error occurs a few seconds after I hit the close or save button.

Anyway, I've now done another build & copied the ISO to 2 CD's !!!!

Bazza

Fixed ... at last !!!!

Post by Bazza » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:49 am

I removed Rogue's .NET AIO pack, Kel's Runtimes & MrsP CabTools ... because it requires .NET.

So far everything is working aOK .... :D :) :P

For .NET I used Ryan's switchless installers after I tested & verified that the problem was "fixed".

I suspect the problem was caused by 1 or more of the runtime modules in Kel's pack but I have NO idea which one or why.

Anyway, now it's time to continue installing stuff & pray that I can activate windows by phone for a 4th time in a week WITHOUT having to speak to someone to explain why.

I'm keeping my fingers & toes crossed that everything keeps on working aOK :wink: :wink:

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:04 am

Well, just hope you don't run into these guys if you do have to call :rolleyes:

BTW, have you tried backing up & restoring your wpa.dbl file? If you aren't changing your hardware, I don't see why that wouldn't work.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:24 am

Ryan,

I'm not changing any HDW or BIOS/firmware. I tried backing up & replacing my wpa.dbl file twice (ie. the wpa.dbl's saved after the 1st 2 activations) without success.

Rebooted into Safemode to replace the wpa.dbl, but each time when I rebooted in normal mode windows would say this version of windows needs to be activated before you can logon ... or similar words. I was able to logon OK, though.