Mystery why some addons no longer install

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
MrWoo

Mystery why some addons no longer install

Post by MrWoo » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:25 pm

I have a set of add-ons that I have been using for some time. The nov and dec updates using 1.4.2 of the integrator work fine.

Now, using the jan updates & the 1.4.3 integrator I have wierdness. Integration goes fine for the updates. Verified with an install.

Integration of add-ons goes fine, however, when installing, only some of the add-ons actually get installed. I think all of the control panel items are placed. Some of the items like the adaware are in Program Files, and a few of the items supposed to be in path (generally sys32) are present. However, none of the start menu/acc/system items are listed that should be there. As well, some things like the mini cd player & dvd decrytor/dvd shrink etc, that normally have a start menu entry, are just not on the hdd.

I can see the files exist in i386, I can see the entries in txtsetup, seems like all is in the correct place. The logs of the integrator show nothing abnormal other than the warning of some non 8.3 compliant addon's.

Has this been an issue before? I did download the integrator and the jan update pack fresh again. I even prepared another xp directory from the cd, and slipped sp2 fresh again.

If i use the december updates, all the addon's seem to work as expected.

any thoughts?
MrWoo

MrWoo

Post by MrWoo » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:58 pm

It would appear that all of the cpl addons are working correctly. None of the addon's for context menus or those that are listed in the start menu are present.

Rather, they are present in the INF directory and the cabs are at root. Changing the INF section to a DefaultInstall, dropping the I386 as the source directory for the cab, and putting the cab with the INF will, obviously, install the app in question.

Also it is interesting that in the Add/Remove panel, you can remove windows components such as Spyware Blaster, yet the files for Spyware Blaster are not to be found. It is like any addon that was a true CPL worked, but that start menu addons did not.

I again checked txtsetup & dosnet to find nothing seemingly out of place. Where else might I look for errors?

I was looking at the setup logs, and found a lot of this kind of thing
02/05/2007 15:30:16.905,d:\xpsprtm\base\ntsetup\syssetup\log.c,133,,C:\WINDOWS\system32\vbs.dll was not deleted because of the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.
Though it appears to be only for standard MS install type items, not for any of the addon items.

Go figure.

MrWoo

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:20 pm

This happens if you have an addon in the mix that has something major wrong with it. What is happening is a domino effect. Since this addon is messed up it is causing the rest after it to tumble. In most cases this is the reason. Are you sure there are no different addons? Or maybe one of your addons is incompatable with the latest updatepack and it is causing this effect.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

MrWoo

Post by MrWoo » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:10 am

Hmm. I will check. I have a directory of the last known good addon set archived. I will try that one with the january files. Could be a something there. Thanks for the info.

MrWoo

MrWoo

Post by MrWoo » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:41 pm

Hmm. I don't know what it is exactly. I unzipped my addon archive from december. Seemed to run through fine. Install does same thing. Missing items again. Every one of those I have working on other installs so I assume they all are correct.

If I integrate decembers RVM updates with 142 & those addon archives into a fresh project, works just like it should.

Using the CPL tool to check on WinUpdates, on decembers version it shows all correctly. While the integrator does not give errors in januarys versions, and the files exist on the cd, running htat app gives no updates installed. I had not checked that before, only that they existed on the source cd. Go figure, probably my error somewhere. Here is how I do the integration -

I have a source for xp sp2 on file. I copy it somewhere. I run the integrator with the RVM updates, along with any addon's. Has always worked in the past, unless there is something new with january's release that messes with something.

Thanks for the help.
MrWoo

roweezy

Post by roweezy » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:56 pm

i hope you find the problem, as i have used some of those addons you mentioned in creating an image, but havent tested the image yet.

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:06 pm

Are all the INFs referenced in SYSOC.INF present in on the i386 folder ?
Do all these INFs have a proper [Optional Components] section that points to a section that defines the INF install directives ?
Any addons besides the update pack have a file called entries.ini ?
Any files present twice in i386 (especially INFs one compressed, one uncompressed ?)

Some suggestions... (check the actual source and then check your addons)

MrWoo

Post by MrWoo » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:20 pm

Ok, I will assume that the addon's that I packed into the december files project are correct in thier ini and inf structure, as they work in that scenario. Most of them have worked for the last 3 or 4 update versions, only a few have been added in the last few months.

Looking at I386 shows that the cabs and .in_ files exist, and no duplicates or uncompressed versions. I did look at some of the addons that I know did not install, such as CCleaner, and they look good for the entries.ini issue.

Unpacked sysoc.inf and found it to be in order.

I recompiled the project again, this time with minimal CPL addons. Integrated the January updates, which went fine. Verified the svcpack items & change in the setup files seemed to be proper.

Installed. Still, the updates do not show in the WinUpdates addon. All of the addon's that I integrated show up in the control panel as expected. Interestingly, Kels file toggle addon, which I have used for some time now, did not show up.

So I do some checksumming on the archive addons to the current set, and I don't believe I have any corruption going on. The january updates have checksum OK.

I have no idea now at this point what it might be. My install is simple. Either use an answer file or not, same result. No preinstall $oem$ stuff going on, just straight up updated integrated XP.

Short of tearing apart every addon and checking for flaws (which I don't think have any because they work in december version), I don't know what to think.

I do have AutoIt beta installed, and converted the integrator to script and beta ran it using Scite, but that changed nothing.

I am installing in vmWare, which I have installed 8 times today and 6 times yesterday. I doubt this is the issue as it first appeared on a real box, but I will test again tonight. I have also compiled the project on 2 different computers just to make sure it is not something goofy wrong with one of them.

Thanks for the replies.

MrWoo

Tasslehoff

Post by Tasslehoff » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:27 pm

I had to fix my silent cyberlink powerdvd installer which broke a few start menu items as well as a jimmied utorrent 1.6 addon which I accidentally broke so I'm sure you'll find the culprit eventually.

Eron

Post by Eron » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:58 am

I had this happen recently.

I had to update my adaware version. The old one didn't download the updates anymore and that broke the install just like you mention.

Do you use that ad in?

MrWoo

Post by MrWoo » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:44 am

LOL, why yes indeed that is in the mix. And it was not updating like it has been. But, it does install, one of the only things that does other than the control panel addon's.

I will definately try that tommorrow and find out.

Thanks for the tip.

MrWoo

MrWoo

Post by MrWoo » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:28 pm

Well, that was a partial fix for the issue. Taking the adaware addon out has fixed most of the addons not installing, but there are still some context menu ones that don't work.

Strange is that integrating the january updates and installing, they are not listed in the WinUpdates tool. They are listed in prior versions. So it would seem that perhaps I have a corrupted file somewhere.

But thanks for the adaware tip. I bet that when I get the january files to work it solves the remaining addon issues.

Today I will compile a fresh project on a third machine & dload the files fresh. Find out maybe that way.

Thanks again,
MrWoo

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:00 pm

So the latest Adaware addon has issues? Or you were using an old version? I made the adaware addon so if there is a problem it should be posted in the adaware thread. ;) But I use it all of the time without any issues.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Eron

Post by Eron » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:42 pm

Siginet wrote:So the latest Adaware addon has issues? Or you were using an old version?
The older version has trouble, not the one you fixed the download for.

I just figured this out the past week myself. The older version with the broken definition download seems to cause issue during the Windows install. I think during installation windows gets to the missing file, fails in copying and then goes on to the switchless installer(s).

I'm currently using Accessories_Ad-awareSE_Personal-AutoUpdate_SiginetAddons.7z MD5: 428E480E7CDA10684C3916E4AA412C2B with no troubles (not sure where the thread is, I just hit "View posts since last visit" when I get here).