[Release] Taskbar Shuffle Addon v2.2-070804

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

[Release] Taskbar Shuffle Addon v2.2-070804

Post by Mrs Peel » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:39 pm

Mandarin is right! This utility is infinitely better than Chihiro Harada's Taskbar++ - and it has regular updates and proper tech support. BUT I had a rude surprise after I finished the pack and started using it on my live build - which is that it tries to phone home on each startup and you can't disable that in the settings. So in to my trash bin it goes!!!

Anybody who doesn't mind phone-home apps is welcome to use this addon, so at least my efforts weren't a total waste of time. But be advised that I will NOT be maintaining/updating this pack until such time as the author removes that intrusive feature and I consider it good enough to run on my own personal box.

DEATH TO SOFTWARE THAT PHONES HOME GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[UPDATE] Thanks to a trick discovered by my super sleuth 5eraph, I have tweaked the lastest version of this pack with a shortcut parameter suggested on the authors forum that will disable the program from phoning home on startup. Please note that this will only work if you start the program from the shortcut in Programs/Desktop and will not work if you have manually configured the software post-install to start with "CurrentVersion\Run".

Also, please note that I do NOT configure any of my addons to autostart at system boot because some of us (me) like to control our startup programs by using 3rd party startup timer utilities such as Startup Delayer, so if you choose to use the "CurrentVersion\Run" method it will be your own responsibility to sort out the phoning home issue. For what it's worth, I have made a formal request to the auther that he disable the auto-update on start in future versions, but he has not replied as yet.

Taskbar Shuffle v2.2
LINK: MrsP_Taskbar_Shuffle_Addon_v2.2-070804
MD5: 2B5D2F53C279B6A119FC0AADBA0EED91
SIZE: 357 KB
Description: Rearrange Windows taskbar buttons by drag and drop
Op System: Windows 2000, XP Home, XP Pro & 2003 (x86 only)
Builddate: 2007/06/25
Language: English
Title: Taskbar Shuffle
Version: 2.2
License: Freeware
Website: http://www.freewebs.com/nerdcave/taskbarshuffle.htm
Installs to: "%programfiles%\Desktop\TbarShuffle"
Uninstaller: Removes progam files, shortcuts and personal settings
About Taskbar Shuffle
No hotkeys, no extra steps, just rearrange the buttons on your Windows taskbar by dragging and dropping them. Allows you to rearrange your system tray icons by dragging and dropping as well (but that does require a hotkey).

No need to get all nervous when an application crashes or if you need to reboot; you can reorder your programs exactly as they were anytime by just dragging and dropping them directly within your Windows taskbar!

[Edit 2007/07/02] Minor tweak to inf file to standardise my uninstallation code. Change of addon naming convention
[Edit 2007/07/05] Rewrote uninstaller to add an removal prompt
[Edit 2007/07/06] Minor bug fix to hide taskkill CMD window during removal. Big thanks to Kel for the tweak.
[Edit 2007/07/27] Updated uninstaller to work with XP Home
[Edit 2007/07/29] Rebuilt optional components section
[Edit 2007/08/04] Fixed entries.ini, optimised some stuff in the inf file and added -noupdate parameter to shortcut (Big thanks to 5eraph for the tip!!!)
Last edited by Mrs Peel on Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:15 am, edited 12 times in total.

Mandarin

Post by Mandarin » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:34 pm

Can't say I noticed the phone home activity on the earlier version - though I never actually looked for it. For a free program wonder why it needs to phone home?

Edit - just checked on my laptop which is running version 2 of this software and I can't see anywhere in the firewall logs where that version is phoning home. Maybe I will stick with the older version - unless someone else can see if that phones home too? Maybe it doesn't show up for me but does actually phone home invisibly?

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:40 pm

I dunno what firewall you are using, but every time I start the program my Sygate pops up the warning:
Taskbar Shuffle (taskbarshuffle.exe) is trying to connect to www.freewebs.com (38.103.0.2) using remote port 80 (HTTP - World Wide Web). Do you want to allow this program to access the network?
It's a shame too, cos this is such a very good program and I would really like to use it if they could sort out this annoying behaviour - even though it is quite a resource hog (most of my background desktop apps use under 1Mb of RAM whereas this one gobbles nearly 6.5Mb)

:(

Mandarin

Post by Mandarin » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:32 am

I'm using Commodo on the laptop with version 2 of Task Bar Shuffle and it has never asked for permission to access the net, nor does it appear anywhere in the program lists within Commodo.

In device manager my version is using 5.1 MB of memory so it looks like they must have tweaked a few more things for version 2.2.

I think it is on another system I built for a friend with Zone Alarm on so I can take a look at that too - but that is also running version 2.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:56 pm

Minor update. See release notes....

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:57 pm

Another update....

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:15 pm

Minor update....

fluid

Post by fluid » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:41 pm

I've download the file twice and the hash doesn't correspond to the one posted above.

larciel

Post by larciel » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:10 am

should we be worried that this version phones home ?

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:00 am

larciel wrote:should we be worried that this version phones home ?
Well I guess you shouldn't need to worry if you have an efficient firewall which you can completely block it from accessing the network - but you would have to remember to disable that firewall rule any time that you wish to check manually for an update (if you ever do).

The author actually has an option to "manually update" this app so it is not even necessary for him to have the auto-update on start feature as well - but at the VERY least he should make the auto-update optional and have it disabled by default.

This kind of sloppy programming is such a pet hate of mine and I've had the suspicion for some time now that for many of them it is just a ploy to generate excess hits on their web site and maybe the authors have discovered a way to generate revenue for themselves by doing that.

Excuse my rant, I'm just in a bad mood today because fluid is whining in my posts about incorrect file hashes and can't even bring himself to say a thank you that he has been benefiting from my hard work.

:rolleyes:

fluid

Post by fluid » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:46 am

Hey man don't take me wrong I wasn't complaining. I should have included a "Thank you there." I appreciate your work.

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:45 pm

Kerio only popped on me during the install and the initial launch. According to ethereal, it was version checking to determine if it needed to update, no other identifiable information was found in the recorded packets.

Mind, this was just on one machine that I had both software on and once I told it "no" I'm not recording any other attempts by the software, but I did disable the automatic checking of updates on launch.

I'm going to test on another machine with the above mentioned software without tweaking the app and see what happens. I really do love this app and I love even more that it's now an addon.

Thank you, Mrs. Peel, you've once again made a permanent addon for me.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:42 am

Thanks for the encouraging feedback Zacam, positive responses always motivate me to work harder and strive higher hehehe....

Updated uninstaller to work OK with XP Home.... ;)

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:22 pm

Rebuilt optional components section so it hides properly in Windows Components Wizard

Mandarin

Post by Mandarin » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:26 am

Another appreciated update from Mrs. P - thank you, I use this on every build.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:23 am

Look what I found in the developer's forum, Mrs Peel. ;)
jay wrote:You can disable auto-update by running the program with the -noupdate parameter. For example:

Current shortcut:

"C:\Program Files\Taskbar Shuffle\taskbarshuffle.exe"

Change that to this:

"C:\Program Files\Taskbar Shuffle\taskbarshuffle.exe" -noupdate

If you're having the program start automatically with Windows, you'll need to edit your registry to modify this value. You can find it in the location:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ru
Apparently, the forum software the developer is using was poorly written in javascript with no regard for long words or scrollbars. :( Hopefully the registry key he mentions isn't too difficult to suss out. View Page Source availed me not.

I did find it humorous that both the developer and user in question share my namesake. :)

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:18 am

Yayyyyy! Thanks for directing me to that page my little super sleuth. I just updated this pack with that parameter added to the shortcut file to disable auto-update on start.

Please check release notes......

RickMckc

Post by RickMckc » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:08 am

Thanks for the addon!
RickMcKC

pepoluan

Post by pepoluan » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:55 pm

Yay! Now I can enjoy the goodness of Taskbar Shuffle right out-of-the-box ;)

Thanx, Mrs. Peel :)
Nobody is perfect.
I am nobody.

SnogBird

An excellent app... an excellent add-on!

Post by SnogBird » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:43 am

This has become one of many apps I can't live without... discovered thanks to all the user add-ons here.

Thanks Mrs. P!

exorr

Post by exorr » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:37 pm

Link to download is broken :(

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:21 pm

exorr wrote:Link to download is broken :(
Maybe what is required is more of a "thank you, there is a problem" than just the "problem".

That being said, I would like to try out the program you have made Mrs Peel, however I am not able to download it due to the file "not being found".

Thank you for your many contributions and I hope to be able to try out more of your addons.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:31 pm

jeez you guys, how about learning to use the forum search. You'll quickly find a notice the MP is takinh some time off for school and to rework all of her addons.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:18 pm

newsposter wrote:jeez you guys, how about learning to use the forum search. You'll quickly find a notice the MP is takinh some time off for school and to rework all of her addons.
I suppose if I actually looked at the dated posts, I would have realized that newsposter. However, thank you for pointing that at.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

bober101

Post by bober101 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:26 pm

actually the search feature is more of a hassel than a feature...i dunno whats wrong with it but the search results are just random.
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:32 pm

Any kind of searching is an art, not a science. Sometimes it's difficult to search for certain things because the keywords involved are so common. Of course, not all search functions (including in forums) are created equal.

FYI there's a newer version of Taskbar Shuffle out, v2.5.

Edit: (from website FAQ) Q: It's trying to connect to the internet, are you hax0ring me?!

A: In versions before 2.5, Taskbar Shuffle would auto-check for updates on startup if you chose to hide its tray icon. As of version 2.5, it will not auto-check for updates anymore and there's an option in settings that allows you to turn this on/off.

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:01 am

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:04 am

Thanks, ccl0!