[Release] Nikos's Xplorer2 Lite Addon v1.7.0.5-070929

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

[Release] Nikos's Xplorer2 Lite Addon v1.7.0.5-070929

Post by Mrs Peel » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:10 am

Another one I made last year, never got around to releasing and just had to update for my own use. I have used this for many years as a replacement for the native windows explorer and I couldn't live without it.

Customised to my own preferred layout, as per usual... with preconfigured bookmarks to windoze folders that addon makers commonly need to find in a hurry. ;)

One day some clever inf magician will be able to find me a way to preserve the customised tab settings of this during reg export (which have sodding linebreaks in them grrrr) and I'll do an update just to celebrate :D

Xplorer2 Lite v1.7.0.5
LINK: MrsP_Xplorer2_Lite_Addon_v1.7.0.5-070929
MD5: E55E90C6E12C7104DDF80C1B32B6D575
SIZE: 761 KB
Description: Browse many folders using tabs and dual panes
Op System: Windows 2000, XP Home, XP Pro & 2003 (x86 only)
Builddate: 2007/08/28
Language: English
Title: Xplorer2 Lite
Version: 1.7.0.5
License: Crippleware
Installs to: "%programfiles%\Desktop\Xplorer2"
Uninstaller: Removes program files, shortcuts, regentries and personal settings
Ultimately affordable management power
The lightweight version of xplorer² is not a crippled unusable salesman of the professional version. It shares the same browsing and management engine, and gives many rival professional file managers a run for their money — literally! It is a complete little file manager, albeit lacking a bit in bells and whistles.

The free version is for private (home) or academic (school & university) use only. You cannot use it in any commercial context, including but not limited to: corporate, office, military, government etc.

Enjoy (or not)

:D

[Edit 2007/07/27] Minor tweak to remove some surplus code in the reg entries
[Edit 2007/07/29] Rebuilt optional components section
[Edit 2007/08/04] Fixed entries.ini and optimised some stuff in the inf file
[Edit 2007/08/11] Improved startmenu shortcut install method
[Edit 2007/09/29] Updated to version v1.7.0.5 and fixed some file paths in reg code
Last edited by Mrs Peel on Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:32 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:45 am

Optimised the addreg a little cos I was in an obsessive compulsive mood today :D

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:18 pm

Rebuilt optional components section so it hides properly in Windows Components Wizard

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:27 am

Fixed entries file....

Is anybody actually using this? Or did I waste my time sharing it here? :(

amerrykan

Post by amerrykan » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:43 pm

Hadn't seen this package, but grabbing it now. Best Explorer replacement. Thanks for the effort!

Mandarin

Post by Mandarin » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:31 am

If you say this is a good replacement for explorer then I'll give it a go and stick it in my next build.
Don't nuke this one yet Mrs. P.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:42 am

Mandarin wrote:If you say this is a good replacement for explorer then I'll give it a go and stick it in my next build.
Don't nuke this one yet Mrs. P.
At this stage I am only nuking stuff that hasn't had a response for over a year or has never had a response ever, so this one will be safe for at least another 90 days ;)

Minor change to improve startmenu shortcut install method by using a rick trick....

RickMckc

Post by RickMckc » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:19 pm

Will test drive this one, too. Thanks!
RickMcKC

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:26 am

Well I don't guess anybody is using this, cos the reg code was broken and nobody came to complain. :D :D :D

I dunno why the author even bothered updated this freeware version, cos all he has done is change the name of the exe, add a new config util that doesn't work and added a dozen more menu features that are grayed out as being "Pro Version Only". And he still hasn't fixed that bug where you can't back up your tab settings cos of linebreaks in his export reg code.

So, I have officially re-categorised this as "Crippleware" and on the lookout for an alternative free dual-pane windows browser replacement with tabs that is capable of saving it's layout config properly.

Feel free to contribute your recommendations.

Cheers

RickMckc

Post by RickMckc » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:53 pm

Been using it for the past month or so and I'm not noticing any problems, although since it is new to me I may just be missing something.

I'll actually did a little bit of research on alternatives to Explorer and found lots of interesting discussions. Seems like a lot of people like FreeCommander (http://www.freecommander.com/) so I installed it to dink with it. It looks similar to X2 featurewise, but the font sizes in the panes are too small for my eyes these days and I can't find any way to adjust.

I'll be curious to see what you come up with.
RickMcKC

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:39 pm

Yeh FreeCommander is a very popular one and I used to use it myself till I discovered that X2 has tabs. My personalised copy of X2 that I run here is set out with all commonly used win folders open in tabs so it only takes me a tab click to go check something in AppData, SendTo, Inf folder, syst32, or wherever while I am testing the copyfiles code for my addons.

The amount of time those tabs save me in this kind of work is incalculable so they are a must-have for me. And who knows, maybe one day I will bite the bullet and go purchase a copy of X2 pro version - but the fact is that I have never ever needed any of the "crippled" pro features, so all a licence would give me is new access to stuff I never need anyway LOL.

Go figure! ((((shrug)))) :D
RickMckc wrote:I'll be curious to see what you come up with.
But I am waiting to see what YOU guys come up with.... cos even a freeware-sleuthing-maniac like myself runs out of fresh new sources sometimes.... :P

RickMckc

Post by RickMckc » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:33 pm

Not sure when you lasted used Free Commander, but the most recent version that I am dinking with does have tabs. I also found how to change the font of the panes, but I still don't like the menu fonts. It's using the windows fonts, but the line spacing is too tight.
RickMcKC

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:08 am

RickMckc wrote:Not sure when you lasted used Free Commander, but the most recent version that I am dinking with does have tabs.
Obviously NOT recently enough it seems LOL.

Thanks for the headsup, I'm off to test drive their latest "tabbed" version right this minute.....

(((((cough))))) although I do gotta say I think their GUI is pretty fugly on the eye. Hehehehe, but maybe configurable to look better.....

Will report back with my field trials.... ;)

Knowone

Post by Knowone » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:22 pm

Did you ever try ExplorerXP?

It has tabs and favorite folders and allot of other nifty features. Personal favorites might just be the direct access buttons for trashcan properties and clearing the desktop as well as the "press F7 to make new folder"-thingy.

It hasn't been updated for quite a while and is possibly considered abandonware, but on the bright side, that means that the add-on wont be needing that many updates. ;)

Since I discovered the all-superior, but far from free Directory Opus ExplorerXP is used mostly for it's renaming skills though.

RickMckc

Post by RickMckc » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:17 pm

Mrs Peel wrote: Will report back with my field trials.... ;)
Any luck, Mrs. Peel?

The ever-changing-tab "feature" of Xplorer2 is driving me crazy, but I haven't found anything I like better in terms of overall interface (and also cost). Plus, in reading through their forum, it looks like the creator of the program doesn't understand the value of memorized tabs.

I did try the free QTTAB program which puts tabs in Windows Explorer. It works as advertised (and memorizes the tabs), but you're still stuck with Windows Explorer.
RickMcKC

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:06 am

RickMckc wrote:Any luck, Mrs. Peel?
Sorry, I've just been too crazy busy with work these last few weeks to even update my own ISO build let alone find time for this. I'm only here right now cos I had to rebuild my Firefox and needed a site to test it on hehehe....

Rest assured that I have not forgotten this tho, and it's quite high on my "list of things to do" when I can squeeze a few days "hobby time" inbetween my current job and the next one.

Cheers m'dears ;)

msdemich

Post by msdemich » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:05 am

cool

periferral

link dead

Post by periferral » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:29 pm

hi peel. do you think you can update the link for xplorer2. maybe even update the pack to the latest version?
thanks