[Release] Matthew Allen's XP Associate Addon v0.2-070916

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

[Release] Matthew Allen's XP Associate Addon v0.2-070916

Post by Mrs Peel » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:49 am

OK, I know this is pretty old, but I still find it comes in handy every once in a while to quickly check what applications are associated with your common windoze multimedia files and soforth - specially when I am designing my reg entries code for certain multimedia type addon packs etc etc. And it also seems to work nicely on win 2003 as well.

Of course it will never compare to WinAssociate (which is the rolls royce of all association apps), but you virtually have to be a rocket scientist to drive WinAssociate and possess a fairly advanced knowledge of context menu handlers and how the registry classes root system works - so there is also a helluva lot you can seriously break with it if you don't have that knowledge.

XP Associate v0.2
LINK: MrsP_XP_Associate_Addon_v0.2-070916
MD5: 32D10283BCC815E96D17456CCA0CF625
SIZE: 261 KB
Description: Windows file association editor for XP
Op System: Windows XP & 2003 (x86 only)
Builddate: 2004/05/19
Language: English
Title: XP Associate
Version: 0.2
License: Freeware
Installs to: "%programfiles%\Utilities\XpAssociate"
Uninstaller: Removes program files, shortcuts, reg entries
Sorry Dave I can't let you open that file
Once upon a time, when you double clicked a file the application that was associated with that file's extension would be opened to view/edit the file. Well not anymore, try as you might Windows XP will stubornly use IT'S choice of program, not yours. So you try going into the folder settings, and change the association, and a) it doesn't remember your setting and b) it's still doesn't work.

There is an arcane, difficult and obscure way of using regedit to hack XP into submission, but it's so arcane and obscure that I can't remember it. It's pretty horrid really. (This applies to common types, like graphics files for the most part) And don't think that "Open With" is going to save you. It's clever idea is to give you a "Browse" button that you can manually associate file types with a given EXE. Heres a run down of what happens:

* User selects "Open with -> Choose Program..."
* User clicks "Browse"
* User selects an EXE file in the file system, and clicks Ok
* User notices that the currently selected "Recommended program" is NOT the program they just chose, but plows on regardless.
* The wrong program tries to open the file.
* User stares blankly at the screen, not quite believing what they're seeing for a moment, then the simmering anger sets in as they try and try again... fighting the horrible UI and flailing uselessly against the horrible XP.

Oh the humanity! It's enough to make me consider breaking down and buying a Mac. Oh thats right Apple screwed Be. What was I thinking! But no, I program, hear me roar! I've written a quick and dirty little utility to edit XP file associations. Works for me.

Enjoy (or not)

:D

keegan

Post by keegan » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:20 am

I'll have to check this one out. WAssociate has always seemed more in depth than necessary to me, though extra features aren't a bad thing, you never know what you'll need tomorrow.

Zyx_Maiden

Post by Zyx_Maiden » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:11 am

Tested in my new build: Working flawlessly. Thank you so much for this addon Mrs Peel.
If you see dinosaurs, stop using drugs. But, if you don't use drugs, GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE!

Knowone

Post by Knowone » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:39 am

Interesting! I'll put this in my next installation for a test run.

Thanks a lot, Mrs. P!

ChiefZeke

Post by ChiefZeke » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:43 pm

I'll try this next time I update things, along with your update to Net Meter - good work

mashimus

Post by mashimus » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:09 pm

Thanks Mrs. Peel, will integrate in my next build..!