[Release] Christian's Infra Recorder Addon v0.43.1-071004

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

[Release] Christian's Infra Recorder Addon v0.43.1-071004

Post by Mrs Peel » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:49 am

After several days of agony toiling over my private addon pack for Nero, I have two announcements to make...

BYE BYE NERO YOU BLOATED PIECE OF SH*T!!!

...and...

My apologies to dziubek who requested this and I dismissed without proper investigation!

To those who (like myself) have been too Nero-addicted to consider Infra Recorder, it is by no means perfect (yet) but weighing it's imperfections against "at least 50Mb and 500+ reg keys worth of resource-hungry BLOAT" it is a small compromise I am more than happy to accomodate. As far as I can tell it is basically a front-end GUI for the most excellent Open Source CDR-tools collection.

Included in this pack is the Infra Recorder mp3 (lame) plugin, shell menu and file association with the programs own project file extension *.irp ONLY. And also an extra shortcut to Infra Recorder Express in %allusers%\StartMenu for quick lazy access to the wizard utility when required and all currently available language files.

A disclaimer about the install/uninstall for this regarding shellex. Because of the ridiculously stupid way that windoze handles it's file types I decided to install ONLY the shellex for the irproject class - because that's the only shellex I can guarantee a clean removal of. Some of you will understand why I had to do it this way and won't require an explanation - and those who don't understand already wouldn't understand my explanation if I could be bothered to write one. But what it means for you as the end user is that if you CHOOSE to manually add shellex in the program config then my uninstaller won't give you a clean uninstall.

And my other disclaimer is that I did not create or remove any reg keys for Cygnus Solutions (cygwin1.dll), firstly because the program creates them on first run anyway with no set value, secondly cos too many other CD-DVD utlities create this reg key anyway (and also with no set values LOL), and thirdly.... I have never actually SEEN any of apps actually write a real value under this key anyway - but "just in case" there actually exists one that DOES I thought I better not remove the useless damned thing ((((sigh))))

Also please note that I've configged the program to scan for devices on startup (which you will need to do to find your own media devices anyway) but you can disable that behaviour manually after 1st run if you choose (which I do). OK, I think that exhausting amount of release information covers everything you need to know.... so last but not least....

Please direct your thanks to dziubek for making us aware of this utility (even though we didn't listen at the time) ;)

Infra Recorder v0.43.1
LINK: MrsP_Infra_Recorder_Addon_v0.43.1-071004
MD5: 19AEE04F8B8A4B4661E258F4D44443E4
SIZE: 2.77 MB
Description: A free CD-DVD burning solution for Windows
Op System: Windows 2000, XP & 2003 (x86 only)
Builddate: 2007/06/20
Language: Multi-language
Title: Infra Recorder
Version: 0.43.1
License: Open Source
Installs to: "%programfiles%\CD-DVD\InfraRec"
Uninstaller: Removes program files, shortcuts, shell menus, reg entries, personal settings and user app data (log files)
Infra Recorder
Infra Recorder is a free (GPL) CD/DVD burning solution for Microsoft Windows. It offers a wide range of powerful features; all through an easy to use application interface and Windows Explorer integration.

Features:
* Create custom data, audio and mixed-mode projects and record them to physical discs as well as disc images.
* Supports recording to dual-layer DVDs.
* Blank (erase) rewritable discs using four different methods.
* Record disc images (ISO and BIN/CUE).
* Fixate discs (write lead-out information to prevent further data from being added to the disc).
* Scan the SCSI/IDE bus for devices and collect information about their capabilities.
* Create disc copies, on the fly and using a temporary disc image.
* Import session data from multi-session discs and add more sessions to them.
* Display disc information.
* Save audio and data tracks to files (.wav, .wma, .ogg, .mp3 and .iso).

Death to commercial bloatware!!!!!!! Long live lean, clean, free open source!!!!!!

:D
Last edited by Mrs Peel on Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:53 am, edited 4 times in total.

dkrus

Post by dkrus » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:05 am

Thanks Mrs Peel, I'll try this out too.

kHaN

Post by kHaN » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:10 am

hehe you should have listened to dkrus before :)

6 weeks ago nero was not able to burn some of my cd's (nero simply didn't want to accept them) so i tried infra.... 3 minutes later i had a burned cd :P within only 4 clicks!

i love this software!

and thx mrs. peel :)
feel free to keep my errors
ihr dürft all meine Fehler für euch behalten

jander44

Post by jander44 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:00 am

Hello MrsP,
Thanks for this addon. I can't wait to try this in my new build. while looking at the addons innards I noticed this in the inf.

Code: Select all

[Prog.Cdrt]
cdda2wav.exe
cdrecord.exe
COPYING
cygwin1.dll,,,1
isoinfo.exe
mkisofs.exe
readcd.exe
Will the "COPYING" throw up a error when installed?

This InfraRecorder looks interesting and thanks again for creating this.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:19 am

COPYING is the "file name" and not a "command".

It is common for many open source software packages to include files such as COPYING, LICENCE, README, CHANGELOG without a file extension on the end of them.

I can confirm that it installs (and uninstalls) AOK for me.

Sm0ker

Post by Sm0ker » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:08 am

Thanks for this Mrs P, bye bye Nero.....

keegan

Post by keegan » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:14 am

One more silent installer down, several more to go.... You rock Mrs. P.

I'm pretty hip on this program. I wonder still about CDBurnerXP, I heard about it the other day, and saw it mentioned again on that other thread where InfraRecorder was first mentioned here. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:53 am

keegan wrote:I wonder still about CDBurnerXP, I heard about it the other day, and saw it mentioned again on that other thread where InfraRecorder was first mentioned here. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet.
I have investigated CDBurnerXP keegan, and as far as I understand it does not support multi-session or drag-files-to-compilation without having to compile them as an ISO file first (which is tediously time-consuming).

Those are the two primary features which make InfraRecorder unique from other freeware CD/DVD burning utilities - although I am open to being proved wrong on that point if I am mistaken.

I'm not trying to be an InfraRecorder evangelist LOL, just expressing my enthusiasm to finally find a freeware alternative which performs the one and only burning task that I still depended on Nero for.

;)

ton80

Post by ton80 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:23 am

Hmmmm........ thx for enlightening us fools ;) .
Ton80

cyberloner

Post by cyberloner » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:49 pm

anyone success make xp bootable dvd with this burner?

keegan

Post by keegan » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:31 am

The only problem I've had with this program, and there could be a way around it, is that there are always two second gaps between audio CD tracks. That is a pretty big problem for me, as I'm an audio engineer kind of guy. Not a big deal though, I can burnnn with other programs. But as a full replacement for Nero, for me at least, I think this is all that is missing.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:42 am

keegan wrote:The only problem I've had with this program, and there could be a way around it, is that there are always two second gaps between audio CD tracks. That is a pretty big problem for me, as I'm an audio engineer kind of guy. Not a big deal though, I can burnnn with other programs. But as a full replacement for Nero, for me at least, I think this is all that is missing.
Eeeek! Personally I would never use this (let alone Nero even) for such a task. :shock:

This is the proper utility for the job IMO ---> Burrrn

Although I do have to wonder what an "audio engineer kind of guy" would even be thinking of by NOT using Cue files to burn audio disks with? If you want gap control which correctly mirrors the original audio CD, then cue is IMO the only way to go, and most especially when original encoder was EAC (set up properly to preserve original CD gaps and cue file generation)

And are you burning these from lossless audio formats? Cos ermmmm ((((cough)))) I couldn't imagine any serious "audio engineer kind of guy" even contemplating using lossy audio sources either....

I'm not even an "audio engineer kind of gal" and I knew that :P

keegan

Post by keegan » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:37 am

^^^^ True to the original?

I sure hope so. I'm talking about burning a test mix of an original CD or something along those lines, I don't even really listen to music anymore. If I'm burning it, it's because I recorded or played on it :wink:

????? Lossless? CD's are lossy in my opinion.

I'm starting out with 88.2/24-bit at best, 44.1/24-bit at worst. I have to make my stuff sound worse to put it on a CD in the first place.

As for CUE files, if I were trying to replicate somebody else's disc exactly, I can see a use for them. But if I wanted a CD to be exactly like the original, I'd buy it. Then you get the nice cover art and liner notes (ideally, most artists don't do liner notes and art justice these days). And in theory you're giving them some money for their trouble :) Donate here? Anyone?

I didn't notice until just now that I misspelled Burrrn in my last post. I snuck it in there and you must not have noticed, as I spelled it burnnn. It was sort of a pun or something :wink:

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:16 pm

Good stuff, thanks Mrs. Peel!

Knowone

Post by Knowone » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:11 pm

Yeah, this one is excellent. Nice one, MrsP!
Important is more than knowledge imagination
--Einal Bertstein

msdemich

Post by msdemich » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:31 am

I used to love nero. Then I just came to prefer the Lite additions. Now I'm completely fed up with the bloat.

Thanks to Mrs. Peel, dont have to take it anymore.

cheers :)