Problem with Kel's add ons & some other issues using nLi

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
Kev_83

Problem with Kel's add ons & some other issues using nLite

Post by Kev_83 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:00 am

I apologise if this is not the appropriate forum. This is the problem :

Firstly : I'm a total newbie know-nothing. So as soon as i see jargon, i'm lost. lol.

i have done this before, at the turn of the year, and it worked fine. I used nLite 1.3 Final at that time & whatever Kel's Control Panel add on version was in January '07.

Yesterday i failed doing the following:

Using nLite 1.4RC.
I tried to make a WinXP CD (Pro) including various add-ons & Ryan's update file.
The update file clearly worked. Some of the add ons such as a7zip and CCcleaner, spyware blaster they worked also.
Kel's Control Panel add-on pack (v.6.5 (the old one i have in my folder is 5.4) just would NOT install. Neither would this add on : [Multi_Siginet_MultiTheme-AddonsPack_1.7]

During the process, i also tweaked some of the WinXP defaults, such as adding users, sticking some icons (My Docs etc) on the desktop by default. NOTE : as i said, i'm a know nothing, so i only messed with options that i knew what they did. Obvious, basic options.

I made about 4 or 5 CD's. Some of the CD's, i wouldn't put the XP code in by default. Some of them i wouldn't add extra users, just to see if it'd finally work, but they all didn't.

In the end, i had to use the old CD i made in January & then download all the MS updates SINCE january, which took ages

First off, i'm just wondering why it did not work?

Secondly, short of going through my entire stack of CD's wasting each one, there surely must be a way of finding out if the CD is going to work or not without having to go through the whole process each time?

Sorry for such a long post.

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:18 am

Kev_83

Post by Kev_83 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:13 am

Thanks for the reply, but i must say, i don't quite understand why you've given me that link

From what i understand, that will enable me to run more than one O.S. on the family PC. Not sure how difficult that would be or how the program is to be used, but that aside ... that's not actually something i want. One O.S. is deffinately enough.

Just a tad confused now

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:27 am

Virtualpc and vmware are meant to test these installs Virtually.

You where given that link so you would quit wasting cd's and test your iso's virtually.

How do you know it was my CPL addons that was at fault is it because you went to the new control panel and saw nothing new? It is spread out throught the subcategories now.

ALso did you enable the uxtheme patch in nlite? You need that for using third party themes.

Kev_83

Post by Kev_83 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:12 am

Hi & thanks for the reply.

Ahh, so that is what that program does.
I don't KNOW it was your CPL add ons causing the problem. I should've been more clear in my post, so that is my fault. What i meant was, is that it's your CPL add ons that weren't working (not appearing in the CPL). Other things were working (showing up), but your CPL add ons were not.

Hmm, the uxtheme patch rings a bell. Now you've mentioned it, i do remember doing something at the turn of the year (last time i created one of these CD's (and the CD that actually worked)) concerning the uxtheme patch. But obviously as i've forgotten about it until you've just mentioned it now, i wont have done anything with that patch now.

In addition to that, i have noticed that some of the old themes do not work. My brother had the old Ferarri theme before i formatted. I went to add (enable) it for him & it did not display properly.

ELiTE

Post by ELiTE » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:42 pm

I've been making XP discs with the addons from the moderators of this site for 2 years now and never had a problem with them, I think they are A1. Where the problems lie, I've learned, is not with nLite or the addons but with the way your PC processes them. Sometimes I'll use nLite and then make an iso, test it with MS Virtual PC, burn a DVD (my install discs are 2.7Gb as I also make a lot of my own addons) and everything is fine. Other times the iso will fail, not because of nLite, but because the XP master file I used to write the iso was too fragmented for my PC to read all the files correctly. So now I defrag the XP master file with WinContig BEFORE I write the iso. Also folks need to remember that any errors within your system memory will cause a failure in your PC's ability to process accurately any information. Read-Write errors can also be caused by bad cables, chipset problems, mobos ready to kick the bucket, worn out optical drives, you name it. There's a lot more to this than integrating a few files and burning a disc. Last thought: Test your addons regularly with WinRAR to verify their integrity.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:39 pm

Actually it sounds like you had one addon in your collection that failed. sometimes when that happens it causes a domino effect and will make all of the direct addons after it to fail. Your best bet is to integrate your addons a small amount at a time then test the iso in vmware. If it works then add some more till you find the bad apple. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Kev_83

Post by Kev_83 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:01 pm

Could the uxtheme.dll be the problem?

I didn't do anything with that THIS time around, although i'm sure i was messing with it last time.

I'm wondering if it could be a problem as the themes add on didn't work either. That said, i don't really need the themes, PLUS, i've heard they're a resource hog?

i downloaded the virtual PC. Not quite sure how that works yet, but hopefully i'll get the hang of it

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:56 pm

Check the MD5SUM to make sure the addon is not corrupted. I too had issues with Kel's stuff but the latest versions appear fine.

Kev_83

Post by Kev_83 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:15 am

Not to seem funny here, but how do i check it? Is there a guide or program somewhere to check it?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:30 am

HashTab seems to be the most commonly used utility here for checking individual files, Kev_83.

Kev_83

Post by Kev_83 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:11 am

Thanks for the link. I checked it & it matches (Kel's add on pack) so does this mean the add on pack is NOT the problem?

There was another that didn't work - Siginet's file that i downloaded on 18th Feb 2007, but i can't find that file anywhere on here to check.

This is the list of files i placed as add-ons (i have put red crosses next to the files that i did NOT integrate this time)...

Also, could someone tell me IF i need to do something with the uxtheme.dll file prior to integrating/burning to CD? It rings a bell that i did this last time, but if i had to, then i really can't remember what i did.

Using the old CD i made when i did this in January, the themes don't work as they should, so i'm guessing i've not done something this time that i DID do last time?

EDIT: Just found Siginet's theme update file & the hash thing matches. I'm beginning to wonder if the issue is with this uxtheme.dll file. Is it possible?

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:14 pm

Try The Latest beta of the integrator and see if the problem still persists:
http://siginetsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240

I doubt it is an issue with the uxtheme.dll file.

It has to be an issue with one of the files that edits sysoc.inf (I think).

If something messes up sysoc.inf then any line below that messed up line will not get installed.

Try the integrator I just posted. See if the issue is still there. If it is then please post your sysoc.inf file.

You can also find a universal XP UXtheme patch addon on the forums here that will work with the integrator.
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... atchaddons
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Zyx_Maiden

Post by Zyx_Maiden » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:18 pm

Hummm... Did you try using an "untouched" Clean Windows XP SP2 as source?
Kev_83 wrote:Using the old CD i made when i did this in January, the themes don't work as they should, so i'm guessing i've not done something this time that i DID do last time?
I don't think this is the problem. The only thing it made when UXTHEME.DLL is not patched is not allow us to use non microsoft signed themes.

Hope it help...
If you see dinosaurs, stop using drugs. But, if you don't use drugs, GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE!

Kev_83

Post by Kev_83 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:02 am

Sig : Thanks for the link up. I'll give that a bash again when i get a bit of time. Hopefully it'll work

Zyx : yeah the source was from an official Win XP SP2 CD

Also, the themes that weren't working, WERE the unofficial ones. the default ones worked fine (i'm talking about THIS time that i installed (as in the other day)).

I do remember messing with the uxtheme file when i did it in January time & the non official themes worked THEN.
Do i have to patch the file after i install Win XP or can i do it so it's patched on the CD i create already?

As said, will give all this a bash when i get a bit of time :) Thanks guys

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:39 am

-points up-

Check Siginet's post for a link to a addon that will mod the uxtheme file for use with the integrator..

(add it like you would another addon but i would do it last if it were me!) once the addon is added then just make the ISO as normal and it will be on the cd when you make it

good luck, yell if ya get lost :)

TechnoHunter

Kev_83

Post by Kev_83 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:16 am

Now that i've got certain things backed up & my DVD burner issue seemingly sorted, i can get cracking with this

the link to the intergrator .... while i don't wish to come across as ungrateful, i must ask, will nLite or, SHOULD nLite (latest version) integrate everything perfectly fine?

My only reason for asking this is that nLite is what i've used before & it's what i'm used to. You know what us newbies & novices are like :D lol. If nLite should integrate all the add-ons i want, then i would prefer to use it as it's what i'm used to :)

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:52 am

Kev_83 wrote:Now that i've got certain things backed up & my DVD burner issue seemingly sorted, i can get cracking with this

the link to the intergrator .... while i don't wish to come across as ungrateful, i must ask, will nLite or, SHOULD nLite (latest version) integrate everything perfectly fine?

My only reason for asking this is that nLite is what i've used before & it's what i'm used to. You know what us newbies & novices are like :D lol. If nLite should integrate all the add-ons i want, then i would prefer to use it as it's what i'm used to :)
You are in the wrong support forum then. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Kev_83

Post by Kev_83 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:02 am

I have finally been able to create a workable CD with Ryans update pack & Kels CPL add on (which i must say, the link on this forum doesn't/didn't work, i had to search elsewhere)

What did i do differently?

I used the FINAL version of nLite 1.4.

When i was doing this, i was using 1.4 RC or whatever it was called. The last time i did it & it worked, it was using 1.3 FINAL.

That's the only thing i did differently.