Could Pack Makers State What OS The Pack Works With Please

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
Mandarin

Could Pack Makers State What OS The Pack Works With Please

Post by Mandarin » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:02 pm

I've been building my own XP CD for a few years using Ryan's excellent update pack and the addons that people generously share in this forum.

I am now starting to do a few Windows 2000 builds and have noticed that the addons specifically for W2K are few and far between. I have the ones that Mrs.P shares and the ones that OnePiece has put together.

But I notice that some posts mention the operating sytem which the pack has been tested with while others do not. For example Mrs. P's Mega Mario pack is described as being compatible with W2K as well as XP. Undoubtedly unless the pack is specifically targeting something that is XP specific - like the themes - then other packs may or may not work with W2K but in the absence of anything to say one way or the other I have no way of knowing.

I know W2K users are probably in the minority but could I request that where possible pack makers state which OS the pack is designed for even if it is just "XP - not tested on any other OS". The format that Mrs. P uses is ideal because I can quickly pick any that I can also use in W2K.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:17 pm

I think that's a fair enough request Mandarin, but unfortunately there are so many people who release their stuff here that it would be like herding eels to enforce a standard that they all should adhere to. And as we have more different flavours of OS's (Vista, 32-bit, 64-bit, etc etc) it can only become more and more confusing.

But before I get too carried away with a rant on that subject LOL.... I think is important to make a distinction here regarding Win2k compatibility, and note that these two points are independent of each other....

1. Will the software itself actually run on Win2k? The best source of this information is to check the software authors homepage and see what their installation requirements are.

2. Will the addon itself install when slipstreamed into a Win2k setup disk? And the answer to that question lies in the entries.ini file., as explained below....

In order to install on Win2k the entries file needs to use the "1" flag instead of the "100" flag in the TxtSetup section, for example this will work in Win2k:

Code: Select all

[TxtSetup_Files]
zzzzzzzz.inf = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0
but this will not:

Code: Select all

[TxtSetup_Files]
zzzzzzzz.inf = 100,,,,,,,20,0,0
Unfortunately this is not a very commonly documented fact and I only found out myself by accident last year when I came to use my addon collection in a Win2k build I was making for a friend who has an older PC. Remember that mass rewrite I had to do last year when I discovered this? Ay caramba!

Since that mass rewrite of mine, there are a couple of addon makers who have started to use the "1" as their standard too, but we still have some newer pack makers here who use the "100" simply because they are using older entries.ini files as their learning guides and do not know any better.

What I used to have to do when using other peoples addon packs was to modify their entries files by changing the "100" to a "1". It only takes a few moments to fix that up and repack the cab file again, so that is an option you might wish to pursue.

It needs to be noted that even if you can force an addon to be installed during Win2k setup using the "1" flag that does not necessarily mean that the software itself will run once it is installed (see my first point above).

Sorry this doesn't really solve your primary issue Mandarin, but at least my reply has given you a workaround option to use for Win2k builds and you know how to check for addon compatibility now.

Cheers m'dears!
Mrs P

PS: There are a couple of my addons that I deliberately use the "100" flag because I know that the software itself will not run on Win2k and use that flag to ensure that it can't be installed to that OS, but I always make a point to mention in my release notes that it only runs on XP (or whatever)

Mandarin

Post by Mandarin » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:01 pm

Good information and an easy way for me to check any I fancy for XP.
Thinking back I did see those posts about the 1 and 100 flags but at the time I had no intention of using W2K again so didn't pay that much attention I must admit.

I used 17 of yours last night and I am pleased to say that each and every one of them installed perfectly and works as it should - but they were marked as W2K compatible so I knew you had checked them out before.

I think the two pronged approach you suggest should take care of any I am in doubt of from other pack makers.