Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
mitsukai89

[request]ntfs file link

Post by mitsukai89 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:36 pm

forgot addon name, allows u to have one file in multiple locations

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:40 pm

not sure of the addon name but the command for it is called "junction"

search google for "junction ntfs file" and read the results :)

TechnoHunter

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:10 pm

Junction points refer to folders. Hard links refer to files. Microsoft has online documentation for creating hard links.

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:49 pm

lol i stand corrected :) thanks for the info 5eraph! been forever since i tried this in windows.. i musta had a brain freeze..

TechnoHunter

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:34 am

Be aware that lots of utilities & programs, including those directly from MSFT, don't always work properly with NTFS symlinks and junctions. This is relieved somewhat by NTFS v5 as available in Vista and Server2008. I looked through the XP SP3 beta and there doesn't seem to be a back-port of this upgraded version of NTFS being made available to XP.

An additional caution: There is little to no error or 'idiot move' checking available when dealing with the movement and deletion of junctions and symlinks. It's possible to accidentally delete a junction/symlink and take the whole pile of 'real' data away with it.

It's also possible to (accidentally) build circular junctions/symlinks that point to each others root and sub-dir structure. The first time you actually access one of these little gems, your system will likely go into an infinite disk access loop escapeable only by pulling the power plug. In this case the only way to 'fix' the situation is to boot into command line, manually copy your data elsewhere (if it survived you pulling the power plug out in the middle of runaway disk activity), then manually deleting the whole directory structure involved in the circular mess. Not Recommended.

There are a few KB articles (mostly focusing on win2k but applicable to XP as well) that tell you howto, but very little troubleshooting info is available.

This wikipedia article Seraph listed is as good as any place to get started.

Having babbled about that, I note that anyone who really needs junctions/symlinks uses a properly designed and namespaced (Active Directory-assisted) DFS (reliable from Server2003R2 and onward) **instead** of NTFS or shuffles things off to an external NAS/SAN and does their Microsoft-centric directory manipulation thete instead of nativly in a Microsoft OS.
Last edited by newsposter on Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:45 am

UtCollector created a switchless installer addon for Link Shell Extension by Gerhild and Hermann. Which of them actually created the extension is not specified, but I'd attribute both since it's on their site. The proper name for the extension is also in doubt since it's referred to by several similar names on the home page.

You may want to bump UtCollector's thread and ask for an update.