I know RyanVM doesn't maintain his WMP10 addon anymore but..

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
Phreddy

I know RyanVM doesn't maintain his WMP10 addon anymore but..

Post by Phreddy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:13 pm

I hate WMP11 and still use RyanVM's WMP10 addon version 3.1a. I am wondering if there are any more hotfixes out that are not included in the pack that are specific to WMP10. I'm sure there are. Are there any more and is there some easy way to figure out which ones I need?

Edit: I just found this:

http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.p ... 0&hl=WMP10

Is that what I want? Can I just compare this against the list of hotfixes included in RyanVM's Update Pack and WMP10 Addon, add the missing hotfixes to nLite, and my WMP10 will be up to date? There isn't another WMP10 pack that's still being maintained is there?

Phreddy

Post by Phreddy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:00 pm

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

roirraW "edor"

Re: I know RyanVM doesn't maintain his WMP10 addon anymore but..

Post by roirraW "edor" » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:15 pm

Phreddy wrote:Can I just compare this against the list of hotfixes included in RyanVM's Update Pack and WMP10 Addon, add the missing hotfixes to nLite, and my WMP10 will be up to date?
I would say in answer to your question "probably", but I'm sure you'll let us know after you try it.

Actually, I don't know if I'd pay attention to any hotfixes in the Ryan's main update pack because I believe any WMP hotfixes that happened to be in there, if any, would have to be reinstalled after the WMP10 addon.

I would try just comparing what's in his WMP10 addon and that list of official hotfixes, and add the difference to nLite as you said.
Phreddy wrote:There isn't another WMP10 pack that's still being maintained is there?
I haven't noticed any but I haven't exactly been looking.

marzsyndrome

Post by marzsyndrome » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:22 pm

I'd be interested also in knowing which hotfixes RyanVM included in his pack and what later ones would be needed. Looking at the contents of the pack itself doesn't seem to make it clearer for me...

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:35 pm

marzsyndrome wrote:I'd be interested also in knowing which hotfixes RyanVM included in his pack and what later ones would be needed. Looking at the contents of the pack itself doesn't seem to make it clearer for me...
If you're talking about the addon pack, I bet Ryan's post in the Addons forum I just searched for "WMP10" has that information:

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... ight=wmp10

:rolleyes:

If you're talking about the Post-SP2 pack, just compare the KB numbers of http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack-sp2.html to that URL Phreddy mentioned http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.p ... 0&hl=WMP10, just as he was going to do.

marzsyndrome

Post by marzsyndrome » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:41 pm

Well, after carefully comparing everything using the provided pages, I appear to have come to the conclusion that no more hotfixes are needed after Ryan's WMP10 pack.

Well, either that or TheHotfixShare's list is incomplete.

marzsyndrome

Post by marzsyndrome » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:07 pm

Ah, wait! Upon closer inspection of the 2.2.1 Update Pack, it appears it contains newer versions of the following files than what are provided in the WMP10 pack:

wmasf.dll
wmp.dll
wmvcore.dll

And also contains certain files which match in version info, filesize, date-stamp and checksum and are included in both packs:

dxmasf.dll
npdsplay.dll
strmdll.dll

This strikes me as bizzare that such files are included in the main Update Pack, seeing as it does not actually install WMP10 as a whole. Wouldn't these files clash with the stock WMP9 setup somehow? Or was the pack designed somewhat in a way to be used in conjunction with a slipstreamed WMP11 (as after all that's what we're all seemingly expected to do nowadays it seems)?

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:36 pm

I'm guessing that they're updates for WMP9 as well, which is what the update pack assumes people will be using, as it should (meaning it's purpose is definitely not to include anything for WMP10 or 11).

The updates concerning those files would have to be re-applied after the WMP10 or 11 addon, or as part of them.

nonno fabio

Post by nonno fabio » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:54 am

RyanVM wrote:
kontini wrote:
But are the hotfixes included for wmp9 or wmp10?
I've seen they are 10.x.x.x and not 9.x.x.x (kb923689-v2 and kb941569)
When I installed the fixes from MU, the 10.x files were copied, so I followed suit.
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=69783#69783
Don't ask for a different configuration of Onepiece's XP AIO Update Pack: use one of the existing vanilla XP UpdatePack with your preferred addons instead

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:53 am

Nobody seems to be complaining about any "clashes" with WMP9 and 2.2.1 so far...
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

mgy

Post by mgy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:48 am

RyanVM wrote:Nobody seems to be complaining about any "clashes" with WMP9 and 2.2.1 so far...
not sure if this is the right thread but actually i noticed that if you dont update to wmp 10 or 11 after installing windows, the browser will crash trying to open a windows media stream. everything was ok prior to 2.2.1

i used nLite on Original Win XP SP2 no other addons or anything but 2.2.1

browser works fine with any other stream of QT or RP except windows media

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:07 pm

So this is with IE v6 or v7 (you said no other addons, but didn't know if you installed that after)?

mgy

Post by mgy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:04 pm

It actually doesn't matter which browser. IE 6 or firefox same issue but just to make it more clear, I only installed QT and Real Alternative after windows.

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:34 am

Can you be absolutely positive that neither of those video codecs affected Windows Media? I normally wouldn't have thought they would but it seems awfully suspicious.

mgy

Post by mgy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:53 am

i installed QT and RP only because i was having issues with windows media and as a result i wanted to find out if i could play any other stream. so im sure that it was nothing i installed.

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:10 am

Gotcha, oh well.

mgy

Post by mgy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:25 pm

is this something ryan overlooked or is it something on my nlite settings? but like i said everything is the same setup except the newer update pack. it was ok with the pack before 2.2.1. any comments or suggestions ryan?

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:23 pm

I used the RVM Integrator v1.5.1 and integrated the RVM Post-SP2 Update v2.2.1 only into Windows XP Professional Corporate and installed it in VMWare Workstation v6.x with around 256 MB of RAM. I did not configure Windows at all, change any defaults, nor install anything except for VMWare Tools which installs VMWare's virtual hardware drivers for Windows. I did not use Windows/Microsoft Update either.

First of all, it's quaint watching the the old attended interface to Windows installations. :P It's been a while.

Here are two screenshots, the first of me playing a streaming Windows Media file embedded in a webpage:

The second is of me playing a streaming Windows Media file that the webpage linked to:

If you wish to direct me to some particular streaming Windows Media files you've definitely had trouble with, I'll test those.

I may even attempt the same thing but with nLite (which I normally use), although for a controlled environment, I won't use any features of nLite except for the integration of the update pack.

mgy

Post by mgy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:06 am

If you wish to direct me to some particular streaming Windows Media files you've definitely had trouble with, I'll test those.
well i tried playing any stream on WWE. i tried playing from the browser. i had the default WMP 9 as i didnt install anything but the update pack just as i did with the other versions of the update packs. they were flawless until this new one.

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:45 am

I can confirm the problem. Are there any other websites you've had this problem or just this one?

Tomorrow I'll try it with Siginet's new pack http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6168

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:54 am

Well, it works fine with with Siginet's new pack http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6168:

mgy

Post by mgy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:55 pm

[quote="roirraW "edor""]I can confirm the problem. Are there any other websites you've had this problem or just this one?[/quote]

It also does the same for Hollywood windows media streams

i will have to give siginet's a try if i can figure out what's different from the two as i have configured my setup perfectly with ryan's except the windows media browser crash

Zosimos

Post by Zosimos » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:26 pm

marzsyndrome wrote:Ah, wait! Upon closer inspection of the 2.2.1 Update Pack, it appears it contains newer versions of the following files than what are provided in the WMP10 pack:

wmasf.dll
wmp.dll
wmvcore.dll

And also contains certain files which match in version info, filesize, date-stamp and checksum and are included in both packs:

dxmasf.dll
npdsplay.dll
strmdll.dll

This strikes me as bizzare that such files are included in the main Update Pack, seeing as it does not actually install WMP10 as a whole. Wouldn't these files clash with the stock WMP9 setup somehow? Or was the pack designed somewhat in a way to be used in conjunction with a slipstreamed WMP11 (as after all that's what we're all seemingly expected to do nowadays it seems)?
As another stick-in-the-mud, I am also trying to stay with SP2 and WMP10. But these different files concern me. Even if there is no apparent loss of function with the old files, there could be security fixes lost. You wouldn't find out about those until someone pwned you. If I manually update the WMP addon with the corresponding files from the 2.2.2 SP2 update pack, will that ensure that there are no problems?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:23 pm

Yes, that should work fine.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Zosimos

Post by Zosimos » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:19 pm

OK, I updated those three files (wmasf.dll, wmp.dll, wmvcore.dll) and made a new WMP10 addon. Then built a new install with XP Home and SP2 Update pack 2.2.3 but didn't get around to using it till today. It seems to install fine, but a dialog pops up saying WMP 'isn't installed properly' when I try to run it. It's not in the list of installed programs under add/remove so I can't uninstall. Yet it won't allow a simple re-install because it claims the already installed players is newer then what is trying to install. How to fix a paradox like this? (No other 'addons' used than the updated WMP10_3.1, btw) I don't want to have to upgrade to WMP11.

I see the main update pack has been incremented. Any suggestions on where to look for the source of this problem before I download it & try again? :?

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

not sure about how you got stucked...

i'm considering made a wmp10 addon in english soon. i must make some changes to my chinese one first.
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

Zosimos

Post by Zosimos » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:19 pm

What I am wondering is what might have been lost when I unpacked the archive & repacked it. As far as I can tell the same number of files are in each archive. Is there anything about the archive that tells the integrator how to process it?

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:10 pm

it should be working according to your description, although with minor errors(sfc).

and btw, what's your integrating sequence?

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:47 pm

the updates required to update ryans wmp10 pack are:
(make sure you get the correct versions for your OS and wmp)

WindowsXP-KB941569-x86-ENU.EXE
WindowsMedia10-KB936782-x86-ENU.exe
WindowsXP-KB954600-x86-ENU.exe
WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB952069-x86-ENU.exe

the above updates are listed from oldest to newest.
you will have to update the main files included with each update as well the KBxxxxxxx.CAT files to the SVCPACK folder.

entries.ini change is to add the new KBxxxxxx.CAT files to [svcpack_catalogs]
no addreg entries are required.

repack ryan's wmp10 addon

integrate....test in a VM....check MU/WU

8)

Zosimos

Post by Zosimos » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:17 pm

yumeyao wrote:it should be working according to your description, although with minor errors(sfc).

and btw, what's your integrating sequence?
The modified WMP is the only addon I am integrating. What possible 'sequence' could there be?

Zosimos

Post by Zosimos » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:20 pm

user_hidden wrote:the updates required to update ryans wmp10 pack are:

you will have to update the main files included with each update as well the KBxxxxxxx.CAT files to the SVCPACK folder.

8)
Ack... that's what I was afraid of. But I thought if Ryan himself said that just replacing the files was enough then that would work. But I gotta pry into those update executables (are they sfx zip or something else?) and find other things to update? Why hasn't someone with some experience already done this? Isn't there enough demand for it? :D

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:39 pm

Quite frankly, no there isn't enough demand for it...

yumeyao says he will make one though so give him a couple of days or a very nice pm asking for an eta.

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:16 pm

wmp 10 is like 4 years old.

Zosimos

Post by Zosimos » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:31 pm

user_hidden wrote:the updates required to update ryans wmp10 pack are:

Ok, I have these four files, but the last one is for SP3. Since I am using the post-SP2 update pack, I probably shouldn't use that one? (And how does the post SP3 update work anyway? You can't buy an SP3 disk anywhere. It's only available as a patch from MS. Is there another utility that integrates SP3 into your SP2 disk before you use the RyanVM updater?)

More importantly, how do you get the files out of the executables? They aren't SFX zip files. So what are they?

Nameless Mofo

Post by Nameless Mofo » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:49 am

Zosimos wrote: Ok, I have these four files, but the last one is for SP3. Since I am using the post-SP2 update pack, I probably shouldn't use that one? (And how does the post SP3 update work anyway? You can't buy an SP3 disk anywhere. It's only available as a patch from MS. Is there another utility that integrates SP3 into your SP2 disk before you use the RyanVM updater?)

More importantly, how do you get the files out of the executables? They aren't SFX zip files. So what are they?
The integrator can integrate SP3, as can nlite: www.nliteos.com. I use nlite for this task personally.

As for the MS exe's, I believe they are in CAB format like most/all of MS's other stuff. Winrar can open them, 7-zip can too I believe. Plain ZIP format is old school, 7z/rar are SO much better. :)

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:53 am

don't feel too impatient to wait.
my work on wmp10 addon is about the finishline.

Zosimos

Post by Zosimos » Fri May 01, 2009 10:34 pm

OK, now I heard that only SP3 will get security patches all the way to 2014. SP1 was dropped this month and apparently SP2 gets dropped next year. So, what version of WMP will I get if I merge SP3 into my SP2 install disk with the integrator?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat May 02, 2009 12:56 am

SP1 for XP x86 was dropped in 2006, 26 months after the release of SP2.

XP x86 RTM and SP1 included WMP8. SP2 and later for XP x86 include WMP9. XP MCE and XP x64 are the only versions of XP to include WMP10. No version of XP includes WMP11.

So, with XP XP3 you will have WMP9.

Zosimos

Post by Zosimos » Wed May 06, 2009 6:17 pm

I suppose there's not a lot of difference between WMP 9 and WMP 10, but I'd still like to try to use the addon and have it already there rather than need to install it if I need it at some point. Does it matter if I put something ahead of the SP3 update and the RyanVM Post-SP3 update in the integration order? Like the WMP10_31a addon? :) Or should I run the integrator with only the WMP addon, and then run it again with SP3 and the update?

Also, I used the RyanVM .NET 2.0 switchless installer recently because I want to use a program that needs 2.0 or later, and then got a windows update notice for a cumulative service pack that was 248 MB! I refused that, and then it found a 23 MB update for .NET 2.0 only. I accepted that but it's going to take a while to download on dialup. :) I looked for a newer installer but I don't see one. Shouldn't this installer be updated so you don't have to download the update(s) after using it?

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Wed May 06, 2009 11:03 pm

It does not matter which update pack you use with the WMP10 addon. The Integrator (or nlite for that matter) are smart enough to realize if there are newer files on the update pack than the addon.

As for the .net 2.0 switchless installer, you need to locate an installer that includes the latest updates. Ryan has not had time to update that installer yet. There are other people that have created an updated .net installer for you. You just need to look under the "switchless installer releases" forum to locate them.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu May 07, 2009 9:14 am

SP3 and an update pack should always be slipstreamed first, Zosimos. Use addons after those—or do everything at once with the Integrator in the same session. RVMi is smart enough to do things in the proper order unless there's a conflict between addons.