Codec pack addon?

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
alsiladka

Codec pack addon?

Post by alsiladka » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:22 am

am not even sure wether it is feasible..... but mayb an addon pack for divx. xvid... real... quicktim.. ogg.... jss anythng u can...... what say man?

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:37 pm

Good idea. I'm sure they will be made sometime soon.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

dale5605

Post by dale5605 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:45 pm

I was considering making one for K-lite mega codec pack.

The only thing is I don't know if I should make it install all decoding versions of the codecs or include incoding ability as well. Or maybe make two seperate I dunno.

Plus I don't know how much bandwidth my squad's site has so I would maybe have to do rapidshare or something.

orcoxp

Post by orcoxp » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:52 pm

Maybe we should start mentioning whether these are true integration or just SVCPACK addons?
Chris Thomson
AKA OrcoXP

PHP/MySQL/phpMyAdmin 2 & 3 successfully running simultaneously on XP SP3 IIS.

dale5605

Post by dale5605 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:02 pm

orcoxp wrote:Maybe we should start mentioning whether these are true integration or just SVCPACK addons?
When I posted my java I mentioned that it is to go into svcpack and run near end of installation.

Of course anything of this nature is not going to be a true integration, unless it is a very specific microsoft program like Internet explorer for example.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:11 pm

true integration is SVCPACK.

But Ryans Integration is more of a slipstream.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

dale5605

Post by dale5605 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:29 pm

Yeah I guess now that I think about it you are probably right siginet. Because if it wasn't really intregrated then it would be in an $OEM$ folder.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:09 pm

Whenever you integrate a hotfix using the /integrate switch on a hotfix exe... all it does is add the exe to svcpack folder and svcpack.inf. So using the [ExtraFileEdits] portion of the entries file will allow you to do the same thing. ;)

But Ryans updatepacks actually are the extracted hotfixes overwriting older windows files and having things added to the registry. So basically what Ryans Packs do is save a lot of space on your disk and completley installs the hotfixes to your disk. The svcpack.inf trick is basically just like $OEM$... but it is better in my opinion. ;)

I am sure the codecs could be slipstreamed as well... it's just a matter of figuring out what changes they make to the system and how to implement them as an addon pack.

In the meantime the [ExtraFileEdits] should be fine for now.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

john2003

Post by john2003 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:28 pm

I have a codec pack someone made with all the the raw files and reg entries necessery to truely slipstream all codecs just need someone to create the pack from these files. Anyone interested? Just let me know....

alsiladka

Post by alsiladka » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:45 am

well my idea is that i am an amateur. i do not want all those pro tools like bla bla bla which the codec packs have. not even the repair an avi file or anythng like that. all that i want is pure n simple codecs on my computer witout any files in programme files or uninstall entires. can we have somethng like this guys?

fduprayer

Post by fduprayer » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:35 am

Guys you can visit http://www.evlove.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=1095 if you understand Chinese :)

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:34 pm

john2003 wrote:I have a codec pack someone made with all the the raw files and reg entries necessery to truely slipstream all codecs just need someone to create the pack from these files. Anyone interested? Just let me know....
I am...
alsiladka wrote:well my idea is that i am an amateur. i do not want all those pro tools like bla bla bla which the codec packs have. not even the repair an avi file or anythng like that. all that i want is pure n simple codecs on my computer witout any files in programme files or uninstall entires. can we have somethng like this guys?
I'm trying to do something like this now, give me time to see what I can come up with...
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

Xable

Post by Xable » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:20 pm

DisabledTrucker wrote:
john2003 wrote:I have a codec pack someone made with all the the raw files and reg entries necessery to truely slipstream all codecs just need someone to create the pack from these files. Anyone interested? Just let me know....
I am...
I spoke to john about this at the time of his post. It`s CoRoNe DirectShow FilterPack he`s talking of. If you do make an addon of that keep in mind FFDShow is also needed for a couple of file formats, which also need enableing manualy (or with reg as your making an addon ;))
DisabledTrucker wrote:
alsiladka wrote:well my idea is that i am an amateur. i do not want all those pro tools like bla bla bla which the codec packs have. not even the repair an avi file or anythng like that. all that i want is pure n simple codecs on my computer witout any files in programme files or uninstall entires. can we have somethng like this guys?
I'm trying to do something like this now, give me time to see what I can come up with...
Very interested in this, feel free to im if you need a hand.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:29 pm

Thanks Xable I sure will, as I'm working on nVidia's codecs now which will contain a lot of it if I don't have to have a registration code when I install them, but in case I can't get that to work then I'm also looking for a backup way of doing it, which is why I was interested in this pack as well... I know there are several others out there that can be used such as the famous klite pack but I'd rather not use that and come up with something different which contains only the most necessary of the codecs to play as many files as possible. I liked where Siginet was going with his packs and thought since I have more time to dedicate to this, I'd see what I can do to help speed up the process somewhat...

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

Xable

Post by Xable » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:04 pm

Yeah i was thinking along the lines of addon creating/testing, not too hot on the codec side you see. Personaly the stuff here (bar Windows Media cuz i keep wmp now) is all i have needed. Real/QT Alt are built but not tested... not sure i`m gonna finish these up...

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:09 pm

Swgreed has a good codec pack at MSFN that would be very easy to port over.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:10 pm

Okay where I'm at thus far with the nVidia DVD Decoder is this:
nVidiaDVDInstall.txt

I've managed to decifer what all isn't the stupid "Media Center" in it except for the registry entries which may be there for it. I've also managed to pick apart what wasn't running processes and for the most part remove the portions regaurding as much of the installer itself as I could possibly determine. What I'm mostly needing help with is the registry entries as I'm not all that good at decifering them. I realize that the ones where it's adding the entries for it to be able to play certain file types and all I need, as well as the other obvious portions of it, the part I'm having a problem with is what's actually needed for the install of the actual codecs themselves. I've got the part about the registration figured out as well, except if it's necessary for the codecs to run or not yet, as I have to first figure out what of the registry files are needed so I can build my installer to install just the codecs, which I hope to be able to integrate either into WMP or into System32 instead of the default nVidia folders where they are currently located.

I was thinking that I should be able to just pull those codecs and put them where I need them and run regsvr32 on them all and grab whatever registry changes were made after it's done, but then I also have to add in the portions that pertain to registring the extra file types too, so I'm not sure that will work or not.

I do know that the nvviddec.ax file is the only one used by WMP10 to play DVD's with if that helps any, but it wont give the AC3 or DTS/etc for playback that way either... For that you'll also need the audio/multisource and other files as well...

Also, the last file on the list, nvport.sys is so that it can be run as a server, but I'm not too sure it's going to be necessary to have that one either since I'm not including the "Media Center" with this, unless it will still work without the "Media Center" for other computers in the network to be able to find the media...

Any help from anyone will be greatly appreciated....

NOTE: To jump between sections in this file just do a search for a string of asterisks (*****).
Last edited by DisabledTrucker on Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:27 pm

Xable wrote:Yeah i was thinking along the lines of addon creating/testing, not too hot on the codec side you see. Personaly the stuff here (bar Windows Media cuz i keep wmp now) is all i have needed. Real/QT Alt are built but not tested... not sure i`m gonna finish these up...
I'm not going to worry about Real or QuickTime in this pack nor will I be adding WMP codecs to it either since I'm going to assume most people will have WMP9/10 and iTunes/RealPlayer on their systems anyways, if they remove WMP, that's their problem, imho... As far as updating this pack, I'm hoping to create it in such a way that I wont have to recode it all every time somethings updated to their next stable release. I've looked at the codec pack that John mentioned and you pointed to, but I'm not all to sure all that is necessary either, primarily what I hope to support is DVD's/Xvid/h264/mp4/.tp/.trp/.ts/mp3/FLAC/and Ogg a/v. DviX was never all that well supported and even less so now that Xvid has been released and is working rather well now, and with the rise of h264 and the like MP4 codecs being in use, I really don't see a need to include it. Especially with devices such as iPod/PSP being the primary target for MP4's anyways, I really don't see the need for anything else.

Xable

Post by Xable » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:30 pm

Kel, got a link? msfn search is offline.

DT, Hmm i need to know a few things. Excuse my ignorance.
What is it? Is it shareware? Download link? What the installer installs? (Roughly)

Hook me up with that and i`ll have a crack the next time the sun rises.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:42 pm

nVidia DVD Player isn't shareware, though they do have a trial version, just as does Cyberlink and Elecard which are also decent decoders, but I personally like nVDVD better than those as it handles .ts/.trp/.tp files better imo. And I wont even get into AC3 and the like that it also decodes rather well, much better than the open sourced versions can. The download link above has what I have pulled from an actual install and explains more inside it. As far as where to obtain nVDVD just go to nVidia's website and look in the downloads section under Multimedia... They provide everything you need for a trial version of the Platinum pack which is what is I have... Well actually mines the registered version but it's the same pack...

Xable

Post by Xable » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:55 pm

I`m confused.

It`s a lot easyer for you to point me directly at what were talking about here as i have no clue, to avoid confusion.

It`s very hard for me to say anything about those reg without having first hand experiance with what were dealing with here.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:37 pm

Xable

Post by Xable » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:01 am

Thank you for the links, that codec pack by swgreed looks good. Not sure about this trial thing. I gues you want the codecs out of it.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:12 am

Yeah just the codecs, don't need the "Media Center" thing out of it just the full set of codecs...

Xable

Post by Xable » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:34 am

ye so all the codecs are in codecs folder, a few files added to system32 and drivers folder might want to check them out too. As for reg entries looks like it`s going to take a lot of testing and trial and error... good look with that.