[Release] RegEditX v2.0.0.2b

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
crashfly

[Release] RegEditX v2.0.0.2b

Post by crashfly » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:35 am

This will be my first *official* release. Hosting seems to be most of my issues, however I am learning to get around that. Now ... on the the release ...

RegEditX v2.0.0.2b
LINK: crashfly_RegEditX_Addon_v2.0.0.2b-080606.cab
MD5: 4F02E7DAC27A26AEA8858096F2E1871E
CRC32: 55CBC2AB

SIZE: 134 KB
Description: Extends the power of the registry editor.
Op System: Windows 98 / ME / 2K / XP (x86 only)
Builddate: 2004/07/04
Language: English
Title: RegEditX
Version: 2.0.0.2b
License: Freeware
Installs to: "%programfiles%\Utilities\Settings\RegEditX"
Uninstaller: Removes program files, shortcuts, and reg entries (if inf gets copied properly).
Why RegEditX?
RegEditX makes your registry editing more productive than ever. RegEditX extends the standard Windows Registry Editor (REGEDIT), so you don't have to learn new ways of accomplishing tasks you already know how to perform. Just keep using the same familiar Registry Editor --- more efficiently.

Once you've tried RegEditX, you won't want to edit the registry any other way.
CHANGE LOG:
[2008/07/21] - initial release
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:59 am

happens to be one of my favorites &... used for many years now Application...

first question for you
why shortcut in \settings\ * when it can be accessible one level closer or higher for instance:
utilities \ to me its seems perfect started from Accessories\ .. (i.e)

main question:
did you try to making it work as a replacement to the system's regedit Associated system launch shortcuts ..etc

i was going to give this a go my self but sadly I never found the time ,yet

good choice for an addon ;)

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:50 am

ENU_user wrote:happens to be one of my favorites &... used for many years now Application...

first question for you
why shortcut in \settings\ * when it can be accessible one level closer or higher for instance:
utilities \ to me its seems perfect started from Accessories\ .. (i.e)

main question:
did you try to making it work as a replacement to the system's regedit Associated system launch shortcuts ..etc

i was going to give this a go my self but sadly I never found the time ,yet

good choice for an addon ;)
The directories are completely customizable. I just left them the way *I* had them installed. As for the "offical" replacement for regedit, I have not done that yet, however I am looking into a couple of options. I am considering adding as a "replacement" option to Kel's CPL addon, so that RegEditX is called instead of the standard regedit. Still working on it though.
--Anonymous

Nico

Post by Nico » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:52 am

I was using it for some weeks before finding Regalyzer (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/regalyzer/index.html), for me regalyzer is a better one to replace regedit, you may also give a look to regcool (http://kurtzimmermann.com/regcool.htm). They are the 2 best freeware I know.

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:34 pm

crashfly wrote: The directories are completely customizable. I just left them the way *I* had them installed. As for the "offical" replacement for regedit, I have not done that yet, however I am looking into a couple of options. I am considering adding as a "replacement" option to Kel's CPL addon, so that RegEditX is called instead of the standard regedit. Still working on it though.
if a way to redirect "regedt32.exe" or "regedit.exe" to "open" with this instead ..,in away that it takes care of the cpl one ...

good luck & thanks!

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:16 pm

I am going to try a trick that Kel used with notepad by using a registry trick to "hi-jack" the executable to load this one. However, if I do that, I might have to move it to the windows system directory. I will just have to see if that trick works first. Since RegEditX uses the normal registry and "loads" on top of it, I do not know if that will work just yet. But I will try it.
--Anonymous

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:31 pm

Believe it or not, the "image hijacking" technique is the worst possible thing that can be done with this particular addon.

It is great if you are actually *replacing* the program in question. It fails *miserably* if the program in question tries to call the one being replaced.

Unfortunately, my test failed because RegEditX performed a repeating loop to call regedit.exe. In doing that, all it was doing was calling itself again. After about 150 processes opened up, it finally died.

I am going to try and create an addon that modified Kel's CPL regedit.exe shortcut to call regeditx.exe instead. That would be a better way to handle this situation.
--Anonymous

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:19 am

You might be able to use an AutoIt replacement of Regedit.exe that can detect if it's being accessed from RegeditX.exe and send it the original Regedit.exe if it is; basically, a moderator that can fix issues with your looping problem.

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:23 am

I would have to say that after looking at RegAlyzer (as recommended by Nico a few posts above), I also agree that it is likely a much better Registry Editor replacement.

It's made by the guys that make Spybot S&D (just to lend some credibility). Go to the website and check out the screen shots. It looks very promising.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/regalyzer/index.html

bober101

Post by bober101 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:23 am

RegEditX is acctualy just a loader to the system's regedit.exe, so thats why it dosent work via the "image file execution option" reg tweak.uppon call of regedit.exe the system will now try to execute RegEditX.exe instead of regedit.exe ,but RegEditX.exe's call for regedit.exe seems also to use the "system image file execution" so it ends up calling it self over and over.
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:46 am

I'm not sure if that was directed at me or not, but I already knew that. :oops:

bober101

Post by bober101 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:04 am

well it was more of an general comment.directed... generally?!lol
XP theme source patcher

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:14 pm

heck, add a "x" to the end of regedit and it will do react the same
whether ran from cpl or any other run: commands ;)

code65536

Post by code65536 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:57 pm

Method #3 would work here (since .reg files are associated to regedit without an explicit path). I haven't looked at RegEditX, but if it calls regedit with an explicit path, then method #3 would work directly. If it doesn't, then you'll run into the same loop that you would with the image hijack method. If that happens, you can gate RegEditX with a launcher that sets a different PATH environment for RegEditX so that any regedit launched by the RegEditX process will be the system one instead of the PATH-override one.
My addons: CmdOpen - HashCheck - Notepad2 - MS Runtimes - DirectX

Into the breach, meatbags!

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:31 pm

code!!!! welcome back :) glad to have you around again! (apoligies for off topic post)

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:53 pm

code65536 wrote:Method #3 would work here (since .reg files are associated to regedit without an explicit path). I haven't looked at RegEditX, but if it calls regedit with an explicit path, then method #3 would work directly. If it doesn't, then you'll run into the same loop that you would with the image hijack method. If that happens, you can gate RegEditX with a launcher that sets a different PATH environment for RegEditX so that any regedit launched by the RegEditX process will be the system one instead of the PATH-override one.
RegEditX doesn't call regedit's explicit path but its explicit name
it is possible to place the original regedit in regeditx's home path
.. triggering the path of "regeditx " to be run as some default "regedit" in windows\ ,
referring out to regeditx's path that also happens to hold the default regedit.exe in name used now as a runtime ...
maybe something like Method #3 can be used here ... but for running this from "programspath" , exploiting a "windows" original file ...

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:55 pm

code65536 wrote:Method #3 would work here (since .reg files are associated to regedit without an explicit path). I haven't looked at RegEditX, but if it calls regedit with an explicit path, then method #3 would work directly. If it doesn't, then you'll run into the same loop that you would with the image hijack method. If that happens, you can gate RegEditX with a launcher that sets a different PATH environment for RegEditX so that any regedit launched by the RegEditX process will be the system one instead of the PATH-override one.
I have read the "Method 3" way of doing things. However, RegEditX is not named the same as RegEdit. In addition, RegEditX is not an "addon" for RegEdit, per se, it is more of an "additional features" program to make it easier to navigate via the GUI RegEdit program. All that is really required is to modify any standard shortcuts that call RegEdit and just have them point to RegEditX.

If RegEditX was a "full blown" replacement for RegEdit, then image hijacking would work (method 2). Since it is not, "Method 3" is not necessary in this case, and therefore just shortcut modifications are required.
--Anonymous

code65536

Post by code65536 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:06 pm

crashfly wrote:All that is really required is to modify any standard shortcuts that call RegEdit and just have them point to RegEditX.
Well, yes, there's always that option. But if you are satisfied with that option, then why did you bother to try the image hijack? ;)

This should work, I think:
1) Install REX anywhere.
2) Drop in a launcher for REX named regedit.exe to a location with PATH precedence.
3) Have the launcher set its own PATH environment to %SystemRoot%/system32 prior to launching REX. REX will then inherit this fixed PATH so that when it in turn launches regedit.exe, it will get the real regedit.exe and not the regedit.exe launcher.

Okay, it's a bit roundabout, but it will let you get away with not changing any shortcuts and not having to remember to add an X to the end when you run regedit from the command line or from [Windows]+[R].
My addons: CmdOpen - HashCheck - Notepad2 - MS Runtimes - DirectX

Into the breach, meatbags!

bober101

Post by bober101 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:41 pm

is it worth all the trouble for what the program acctualy has to offer?
XP theme source patcher

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:21 am

bober101 wrote:is it worth all the trouble for what the program acctualy has to offer?
yes, there is something to assume about what it has worth to offer.