[Tool] QuickLaunch during Windows Setup 0.3.0 (multilingual)

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
kal

[Tool] QuickLaunch during Windows Setup 0.3.0 (multilingual)

Post by kal » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:44 pm

Quick Launch bar during Windows Setup v0.3.0

Image Image

While I was creating my Update Pack, I thought it would be really usefull to get easy access to some utilites like cmd.exe, regedit.exe, taskmgr.exe, a file explorer, Firefox, cpu-z...
So I decided to create my own Quick Launch bar to suit my needs. As it's a little tricky to set up, this program comes like an addon. You just have to integrate it to your source with RVMi 1.5+.

Contents:
Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition v3.0.1
FreeCommander 2008.06b (default file explorer, Windows Explorer wouldn't work during installation)
HWMonitor v1.10
CPU-Z 1.46
Solitaire, FreeCell, Minesweeper, Spider Solitaire & Hearts : only if they are present on your Windows CD. Otherwise, they won't be copied and won't appear on the list (so you can remove them with nLite if you wish)
resolution changer coded by myself
All components contained into the listbox are optional : so after integrating this addon, if you need to save space, you can remove its in OEM\QuickLch\Apps. LixBox shows only what is present in this directory. If it finds nothing, listbox will be hidden. By the way, don't remove Firefox neither A43 as they are avalaible through buttons.

Avalaible translations : English, French, Chinese. (Feel free to ask a translation)

ChangeLog:
0.3.0:
- Updated CPU-Z to v1.47
- Updated HWMonitor to v1.11
- fixed a bug preventing this addon to be integrated simultaneouslywith other addons/updatepacks
- Improved Resolution changer window (now filtered with color quality)
- Added Spider Solitaire & Hearts : only if they are present on your Windows CD.
- Added FreeCommander. Replaced A43 File Management
- Based on WINNT.SIF method : no more hacked setup neither presetup.cmd

0.2.0:
- Added Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition
- Added HWMonitor
- Added CPU-Z
- Added Solitaire, FreeCell, Minesweeper : only if they are present on your Windows CD.
- Added a tool to change resolution

0.1.1:
- Added Chinese translation
- Minor internal changes

0.1.0:
- Initial release
It looks like above links don't work if they are not launched from WinCert website: Here is the reference thread

Quick Launch Delphi Source v0.3.0
MD5: 5744E0240CD389EB33E3616F58FAB5DF
Size: 38.9KB

Quick Launch AddOn v0.3.0
MD5: FFA3BC8543455C386B998DCEAAC65599
Size: 11.8MB

Licence: GPL

Greets:
yumeyao : chinese traduction

Cheers,
Kal
Last edited by kal on Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:07 am, edited 14 times in total.

steviewonder

Post by steviewonder » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:03 am

thanks nice to have this with some hardware monitors like cpu temperature etc.

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:19 am

@steviewonder
that would be a little bit hard. you can just run your own progie via this.

@kal
awesome one. although shift+f10 is known to call cmd.exe, a taskbar like this is really appericated. i like the way it show elasped time.
a simplified chinese translation plz.
btnCmdLaunch.Caption := '命令提示符';
btnTaskMgr.Caption := '任务管理器';
btnRegedit.Caption := '注册表编辑器';
btnExplorer.Caption := '文件浏览器';
BTW, i had a chance to read an article which discribes a method to run a program at very first of windows's setup and won't break the setup progress. i'll try to find it again. then you needn't to replace the original setup.exe

-------------EDITED--------------------
it uses winnt.sif...
[GuiUnattended]
DetachedProgram="%SystemDrive%\12345.exe"
since not every one uses winnt.sif, you'd better use the replacement...
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

kal

Post by kal » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:00 am

Updated.

Thanks yumeyao for translation. I didn't know about shift-F10 tip, nice one! ;)

@steviewonder: I don't see the point of these kind of things during windows setup. Moreover, i don't think it would be possible.

Cheers,
Kal

bober101

Post by bober101 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:04 pm

thx, i remember seeing something just like this a while back and i never could find it again.
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources

steviewonder

Post by steviewonder » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:52 pm

My purpose would be to see the cpu temp. of the PC I just built to see if I used the correct amount of Thermal Grease instead of having to go into bios beforehand, I could skip this step and
find out while windows is installing. Anyway thanks the registry editor will come in handy during install.

kal

Post by kal » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:55 pm

Then find a program which will launch at first reboot to monitor temperature, and i'll include it ;)

bober101

Post by bober101 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:27 pm

using nlite it gives an error saying that setup.exe is not found in rvmtemp.(and no i havint used driver packs)
XP theme source patcher

kal

Post by kal » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:59 pm

As i said in firts post, use RVMi, i dont think it's compatible with nlite

bober101

Post by bober101 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:01 pm

ah ok thx.
XP theme source patcher

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:57 pm

kal wrote:As i said in firts post, use RVMi, i dont think it's compatible with nlite
Is there a way to make this compatible with nlite? I would like to integrate it in even so, but if I do it before nlite, will it break something on an nlite integration?
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

kal

Post by kal » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:50 am

Well, I didn't see any documentation about entries.ini for nLite. I don't know which functions it supports or not, so I can't make it compatible with it.

I don't think RVMi would break anything before nLite : but VMware is your friend ;)

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:39 am

tho i believe not all noted commands are fully documented http://www.nliteos.com/addons/index.html
as it may support some of integrators commands in hidden mode ..

these are the documented ones it supports

and it keeps growing ..

there is a nice "quick-launch style addon" like this from nightwolf called "last xp" you should check how it runs

i don't remember if it uses presetup.cmd ..

thanks

kal

Post by kal » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:52 pm

Thansk ENU_User, I'll check documentation to make it compatible with nLite.

About my quick launch bar, I had the idea when I saw it on last xp, so I know about it. But lastxp is not legit, and they don't distribute their tools. We should avoid to talk about it. ;)

Cheers!

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:09 pm

yea, titles can turn to be confusing ...

so besides that I had finally found it. yea, and they get most of their tools form around here anyways ,but slowly losing rightful credits ...
so someone newer to the scene can't really know what was priorly emerged from where

this is what i was referring to in "lastxp" ;)
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3505

kal

Post by kal » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:18 pm

I didn't see there was already an addon for this. But, mine is multilingual and get a timer on its title bar :lol:

I think I'm gonna add HWMonitor and CPU-Z, what do you think about it?

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:00 pm

i had once something like this http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cpp/EventlogViewer.aspx

but in notification balloon style pop up from the lower right area ...
detailing real time events strait from event log ...then fades after a few seconds
cant remember if it was an asp tool or a simple vbs script that installed it

could bee interesting to have such a tool run as detached or optionally as launched to see in real time events during setup ...

here is something more like it but still not the same

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/rteventreader.aspx

will try to find in it ... if i dont find the specific one someone will need to re invent it ... :lol:

something definitely needs to be added or replaced here with your tool
see what others want ...

thanks again
Last edited by ENU_user on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

bober101

Post by bober101 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:11 pm

would it be possible to add a cheap game or something?thx.
XP theme source patcher

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:19 pm

well i always put a Audio CD in another optical drive.......

Pasha_ZZZ

Post by Pasha_ZZZ » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:14 am

bober101 wrote:would it be possible to add a cheap game or something?thx.
There was another addon, with TC & Solitare inside...

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:34 am

This is nice. I remember seeing the other addons too that did this. I like the Elapsed Time portion of this one though. :)

I think it would be cool to have a games button too. Maybe a button that would open a menu so you can choose a game.

I also think it would be cool to add some sort of loop to search for "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE". When it finds it ... then it can enable a button to open Internet Explore. ;) I know that Internet Explorer can be used sometime around the T13 mark of setup.

I don't think there is really much of a need for these anyways... except for the "coolness" factor. But I would use it.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

eSc-AvAtAr

Post by eSc-AvAtAr » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:28 am

There's also a way to launch a file via winnt.sif

[DetachedProgram]
DetachedProgram = CMD.EXE
Arguments = "/Q /C FOR /F %? IN ('%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\MOUNTVOL.EXE^|FINDSTR :\') DO IF EXIST %?WIN51 START %?.\OEM\filename.cmd"

The argument will find the letter of the drive witch contains the file WIN51
and then run the file filename.cmd (you can change the name and the folder if you don't like the OEM folder at the end of the arguments line).

I don't know but maybe it requires the OemPreinstall or whatever it calls to be set to YES.

Didn't test that from CD but launched from windows run (i have 3 drives) and it found the file i placed in front of it (WIN51) and then ran the file specified. Tested by placing in First drive than in second and then in third.

Hope this helps. :wink:

EDIT:
%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\MOUNTVOL.EXE^ - This is the file from where in gets the letters. Don't know how. :wink:

kal

Post by kal » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:48 am

ENU_user: I agree it would be nice to have such a tool to see what's going on during installation. But I don't feel to rewrite it in Delphi. If you find one, not based ont .net framework, tell me.

yumeyao: I guess it's not possible at this stage to get sound out from sound card device.

bober101 : I think I'm gonna add default Windows Games, such as Solitaire, Minesweeper... But if user removed them with nLite, they won't be avalaible.

Siginet : That's a good idea. I tested on a VM, and IE can be launched around T17/16, during "Registering Components" step. If someone can tell me which INF file is executed at T17/T16, I could see which registries keys are added to allow IE to run. This way, I could monitor one of these registries keys to enable IE button.

AvAtAr : we already talked about that, but not every users are using WINNT.SIF file, so we can't use this method.

Kal

eSc-AvAtAr

Post by eSc-AvAtAr » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:37 am

Oh, sorry probably missed the post.

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:43 am

kal wrote:yumeyao: I guess it's not possible at this stage to get sound out from sound card device.
yeah but my CD-rom is an old one, which has a earphone/out port itself.

kal

Post by kal » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:49 am

Ah yeah I remember of that kind of CD-ROM, old good time :lol:

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:00 pm

the presetup.cmd here is originally drawn from pyron's method or if you wanted from Method2 DriverGrabber (RS script pack) (DP's off course) .etc

so for anyone using this with one of the mentioned, watch out
the same goose is running but for different targets ...

good luck ;)

eSc-AvAtAr

Post by eSc-AvAtAr » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:05 pm

If the gui is getting huge you can change the resolution but again not all want's the 1024x768 or 800x600 screen resolution during setup and offcourse you would need to modify the winntbbu.dll wallpaper to the resolution specified. :?

kal

Post by kal » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:10 pm

ENU_user wrote:the presetup.cmd here is originally drawn from pyron's method or if you wanted from Method2 DriverGrabber (RS script pack) (DP's off course) .etc

so for anyone using this with one of the mentioned, watch out
the same goose is running but for different targets ...

good luck ;)
Yeah, as I said in my first post :
DriverPacks Users: Be sure to integrate this AddOn before adding any DriverPacks. After you have integrated DriverPacks, modify the file "i386\presetup.cmd" to add this line at the very end, just before "exit" instruction :

start %CDDRIVE%\OEM\QuickLch.exe

EXIT
I'm talkinkg about DriverPacks users, but it obviously applies to every users using presetup.cmd method.

Cheers!

eSc-AvAtAr

Post by eSc-AvAtAr » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:27 pm

You have some tracking system or what? :) fast replys.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:49 pm

Yeah I wish we could come up with some sort of idea for the Pyron setup method...
Something where it would be simple for presetup.cmd user to easily add to the presetup file instead of overwriting it. Basically build a new presetup file if it does not exist or add to the batch file if it does exist.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

kal

Post by kal » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:42 pm

I can't do this with my AddOn. I mean, I can use ExtraFileEdits, but if file doesn't exist, what will happen?

By the way, I added some modifications :

Some default Windows games are used, not all. If you remove them with nLite before integrating this addon, they won't appear on the list. But, if you have some suggestions, like a light sudoku, why not.

I'm looking for a very light browser able to launch before T-16.

Cheers!

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:39 pm

kal wrote:Siginet : That's a good idea. I tested on a VM, and IE can be launched around T17/16, during "Registering Components" step. If someone can tell me which INF file is executed at T17/T16, I could see which registries keys are added to allow IE to run. This way, I could monitor one of these registries keys to enable IE button.
One has to be careful at this stage in starting IE in that where the "Temporary Files" and other such settings are drawn from. It may not be entirely possible to run IE correctly that early in the install, however it is worth trying out.
Siginet wrote:Yeah I wish we could come up with some sort of idea for the Pyron setup method...
Something where it would be simple for presetup.cmd user to easily add to the presetup file instead of overwriting it. Basically build a new presetup file if it does not exist or add to the batch file if it does exist.
There is a way to do this using standard batch file redirection. However, it will not do checks to see if the presetup.cmd file is in "proper" order.
Something to the effect of the following command could be used (probably needs to be modified to work correcty).

type filename.txt >> presetup.cmd

That *should* add to presetup.cmd if it already exists, and create the file if it does not. It would just involve redirecting the output of a program (type in this case) to a file that is specified. Using ">>" appends, while using ">" actually would clobber the file if it already exists (I think).
--Anonymous

kal

Post by kal » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:58 pm

crashfly wrote: type filename.txt >> presetup.cmd

That *should* add to presetup.cmd if it already exists, and create the file if it does not. It would just involve redirecting the output of a program (type in this case) to a file that is specified. Using ">>" appends, while using ">" actually would clobber the file if it already exists (I think).
if presetup.cmd already exists, it will ad filename.txt to the end. But, if the last instruction of presetup.cmd is 'exit', your filename.txt will never get executed.

By the way, I found a way to launch a browser just after device drivers installed : Firefox Portable
No registry entries, no temporary files... Just one inconvenient : it needs to run from a non Read Only location. But I will delete it at the end of installation.

Kal

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:10 pm

Nice work Kal. :) It looks great. And firefox is indeed better anyways. :D

I have an idea for launching presetup.cmd files that I may dabble with in the future.

I can have the integrator integrate an autoit executable which could read an ini file that people can list files to run.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

kal

Post by kal » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:32 pm

Siginet : that would be a nice feature! Create a presetup.cmd if not present, or add an entry if already there.

Is there a way to detect T-33 step, when device drivers are installed? I would like to enable firefox at this moment.

kal

Post by kal » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:36 pm

Here it is :

Any suggestions before final release ?

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:50 pm

it will only need to have the basic setup.exe SETUPORG.EXE routine auto prepared with integrator,when (for instance) triggered by [presetup] it moves into action: if not exist create routine then adds lines

examples:

Code: Select all

[presetup]
REG ADD %KEY%\998 /V 1 /D "%CDDRIVE%\OEM\t-13_install.cmd" /F
REG ADD %KEY%\999 /V 1 /D "REG ADD %KEY%\zzz999 /V 1 /D %CDDRIVE%\OEM\postinstall.cmd /F" /F

[presetup]
start %CDDRIVE%\OEM\QuickLch.exe

[presetup]
%CDDRIVE%\Drivers\SetDevicePath.exe %CDDRIVE%\Drivers
start %CDDRIVE%\Drivers\WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe
this can turn to be a usable feature after all
for running stuff in detached mode using "start" "some command" and lastly lastly start/WAIT setup.exe %*

driverpacks may overwrite it now, but once it a RVMI feature available
I'm sure the guys in driverpacks will comply accordingly

btw, nice updates kal ;)
Last edited by ENU_user on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

kal

Post by kal » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:56 pm

ENU_user : I'm not sure to understand if you're asking me to modify my entries.ini, or if you give example to Siginet for adding this feature ;)

Cyrrently, my entries.ini automatically move setup.exe & setupORG.exe, have a look on it ;)

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:22 pm

kal wrote:
crashfly wrote: type filename.txt >> presetup.cmd

if presetup.cmd already exists, it will ad filename.txt to the end. But, if the last instruction of presetup.cmd is 'exit', your filename.txt will never get executed.

By the way, I found a way to launch a browser just after device drivers installed : Firefox Portable
No registry entries, no temporary files... Just one inconvenient : it needs to run from a non Read Only location. But I will delete it at the end of installation.

Kal
Problematic as that may be, one could add the filename to the beginning of the presetup.cmd file by the following:

rename presetup.cmd presetbk.cmd
echo start %CDDRIVE%\OEM\QuickLch.exe > presetup.cmd
type presetbk.cmd >> presetup.cmd
del presetbk.cmd

It is not the most elegant solution, but it gets the job done.
--Anonymous

kal

Post by kal » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:32 pm

Yep, but we need to add CDDRIVE detection of course. Moreover, if the user integrates DriverPacks later, I think that presetup.cmd will be overwritten and he'll need to edit it manually. Best solution would be WINNT.SIF method...

kal

Post by kal » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:56 pm

I'm gonna try to add a button to change resolution ...

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:07 pm

kal wrote:I'm gonna try to add a button to change resolution ...
That's another nice idea. :)

@Enu_User Yeah that is kind of my idea. I'm sure driverpacks.net would enjoy the idea too.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

kal

Post by kal » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:28 pm

Updated!

bober101

Post by bober101 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:05 pm

NICE!!!thx
XP theme source patcher

eSc-AvAtAr

Post by eSc-AvAtAr » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:32 am

Resolution would be great but just one problem :? when it changes the background image would be the same size and the rest part would be blue (like no wallpaper on desktop). I know because i used the nvidia video drivers to install during Drivers installation and it automatically changed the resolution but background stays the same size. But maybe manually changing would have different effects. The other way is to replace the image in WINNTBBU.dll with larger then when changing resolution the image should be full screen. Cheers.

EDIT:
As for the browser (i know its in your addon) you may use VMWare Thin App to create portable then you wouldn't need to copy to HDD.

Is it possible to add Refresh Rate of monitor?

kal

Post by kal » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:53 am

eSc-AvAtAr : yeah, background image will stuck at 640x480. I can't do nothing about it. Indeed, if end users changed the background image in winntbbu.dll, i don'twant to change his background if he changes resolution. By the way, I don't think it's a major issue, it's just for Windows setup ;)

The browser can't be launched from ReadOnly location. Period. But, Mozilla's guys are smart. It detects it's launched from a Read Only location, copy itself to %TEMP% directory, and delete itself when it's closed.

Refresh Rate of monitor is already present. It's the frequency column (maybe I should rename it to Refresh Rate, my english is not perfect ). By the way, on VMware, all refresh rate values are 1Hz, but on a real computer it will be normal value (69/75/80 ...)

Cheers. :?

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:26 am

How can we add turkish translation for this, any translation strings available?
This will be very handy in unattended disks. Very good idea.
Thanks a bunch for sharing ;)

kal

Post by kal » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:38 am

Just translate this file. You can do it easily with POedit.

Cheers ;)

Pasha_ZZZ

Post by Pasha_ZZZ » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:01 am

Can you add button removal for deleted programs? I dont want Firefox in setup at all, but button is still present & do nothing.