[Release] Lucida Sans Fix 1.0.0 (en-US)

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
code65536

[Release] Lucida Sans Fix 1.0.0 (en-US)

Post by code65536 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:58 pm

Synopsis

Fixes and updates the Lucida Sans font for Windows XP (en-US locale).

What this addon does

Windows XP ships with and installs the Lucida Sans font, but the font is not registered during Windows Setup, rendering it unusable. This is a very minor bug, as simply accessing the Fonts folder in Control Panel will result in the font being registered. This addon will register the font during Windows Setup so that the font can be used without having to first access the Fonts folder. Additionally, this addon will update the Lucida Sans font to the latest version available, version 1.67 from 1999. The version that ships with Windows XP is version 1.01, from 1992 (its file timestamp belies its true age).

This is based on rick's posts here and here. I did not notice setup registration problems with the other two font that were mentioned (they are complex-script fonts that will be installed only if the appropriate option is selected in Windows Setup).

Also, note that the font names (and perhaps font files as well) are locale-sensitive, so do not use this with any locale other than en-US.

Download
LucidaSansFix-1.0.0-Addon.7z: Download - Mirror
MD5: 1551d6f4c80a3e45ddff1b62a49a0192
Size: 0.12 MiB
My addons: CmdOpen - HashCheck - Notepad2 - MS Runtimes - DirectX

Into the breach, meatbags!

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:23 pm

I have to do this to a few fonts for my Spanish pack too, you are right they have different names fom lang to lang

Here are the fonts I have to fix:

Code: Select all

[EditFile]
HIVESFT.INF,AddReg,AddFonts
HIVESFT.INF,Strings,AddStrings

;Repara fuentes que Microsoft olvidó registrar
[AddFonts]
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts","%kartika%",,"kartika.ttf"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts","%lucida_sans%",,"lsans.ttf"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts","%lucida_sans_seminegrita%",,"lsansd.ttf"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts","%lucida_sans_seminegrita_cursiva%",,"lsansdi.ttf"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts","%lucida_sans_cursiva%",,"lsansi.ttf"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts","%vrinda_normal%",,"vrinda.ttf"

;Acompañan fuentes
[AddStrings]
kartika = "Kartika (TrueType)"
lucida_sans = "Lucida Sans (TrueType)"
lucida_sans_seminegrita = "Lucida Sans Seminegrita (TrueType)"
lucida_sans_seminegrita_cursiva = "Lucida Sans Seminegrita Cursiva (TrueType)"
lucida_sans_cursiva = "Lucida Sans Cursiva (TrueType)"
vrinda_normal = "Vrinda Normal (TrueType)"
BTW why did you include the fonts, being safe?

code65536

Post by code65536 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:33 pm

ricktendo64 wrote:BTW why did you include the fonts, being safe?
New versions are shiny. ;) After all, the original 1.01/1992 fonts shipped with XP were last updated around the release of Windows 3.1 and are of the older TrueType format instead of OpenType. Also, when you install Office, it will replace the version installed by XP with the 1.67/1999 version, so this will save the Office installer one extra step. ;)

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:34 am

Thanks guys.. much appreciated code, and Rick as well for bringing it to code's attention :)
keep up the brilliant work!

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:51 pm

Hey code is there a way to create a tool like ResetWMI but for the fonts issue?

See I have the opposite problem but its when I remove languages with nLite it does not always remove the AddReg entries to some Fonts, so not until I go to the Fonts folder it deletes those reg entires

code65536

Post by code65536 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:45 pm

ricktendo64 wrote:Hey code is there a way to create a tool like ResetWMI but for the fonts issue?
What did you have in mind? Something that scans the Fonts folder and the registry and adds registrations for unregistered fonts and removes registry entries for missing fonts?

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:09 pm

an autoit script auto open font folder then close.... is this ok?
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

code65536

Post by code65536 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:09 am

yumeyao wrote:an autoit script auto open font folder then close.... is this ok?
There are three problems with that:
1) It's not very elegant to have an Explorer window pop open and then close.
2) The system would need to have support for autoit; none of my systems have autoit (in fact, I've never seen or used it, and I didn't even know what it was until I Wikipedia'ed it :P)
3) Microsoft discourages it (though they don't provide much in the way of an alternative; see below)
code65536 wrote:and removes registry entries for missing fonts?
This is trivially easy to do.
code65536 wrote:Something that scans the Fonts folder and the registry and adds registrations for unregistered fonts
This on the other hand... the problem here is that while Microsoft does provide a system API for installing a font given a font file, it's not a persistent install; in other words, any app can use the font until you reboot; it's a little silly, if you ask me. There is no system API for installing a font persistently, which is quite surprising given that Microsoft usually has an API call (sometimes even several different redundant API calls) for just about every task imaginable. So to do this programmatically, the registry entries will have to be set manually, which means that I need to be able to extract the font name from the font file, which brings up another hole in Microsoft's API coverage: there's no system API for getting the name from a font file. The existing font APIs are unsuitable because there is no reliable way to map between the file name and the font name, and the font name as GDI sees it does not necessarily match the name stored in the file itself (which is what gets written to the registry; on the upside, it would appear that the actual registry entries are not that important because the registry font names seem to exist solely for the benefit of the Shell and have no bearing on what applications see, which they get from GDI).

Fortunately, Microsoft was kind enough to have posted their font installation source code to their FTP site, and from glancing at that, the "official" way to get the font name from a font file is to know the format/structure of the font file and then go diving. Fun. I can probably just borrow that code verbatim (they are using C, I am using C, huzzah!) after I check to make sure that there are no Unicode or 64-bit portability issues (this fontinst source code is from 1995!). I'll look into this later...

code65536

Post by code65536 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:16 pm

FontFix
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6729

I've only tested this on 32-bit XP, although I expect it to work for all versions, including Vista. Both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries are included. I also haven't tested this on any locale other than en-US, so, rick, if you could make sure that it gets the correct names for ESP, that'd be great (there wasn't anything in the code that was locale-specific, so it should work for all locales).

ssjkakaroto

Post by ssjkakaroto » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:17 pm

Hey code65536, you have any idea why this addon won't work with nlite?
Every time I integrate it the Windows setup give me the following message:
"Setup cannot set the required Windows XP configuration information.
This indicates a internal Setup error."

Thanks
Allegari nihil et allegatum non probare, paria sunt.

code65536

Post by code65536 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:24 pm

I have no idea. I haven't used nLite in eons. You might as well use FontReg instead anyway.

armond

Post by armond » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:03 pm

Hi, code65536,
Thanks for this nice addon!
Why you do not add this to your addon list in your website?

code65536

Post by code65536 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:56 pm

When it was first created, the primary goal of this addon was to patch up the missing Lucida Sans font registration (updating the font was just something extra I did "since I was in the neighborhood"). This addon was created before FontReg existed. Unlike FontReg, this addon is very narrow in its scope: it addresses only the Lucida Sans font, on Windows XP, with the en-US locale. FontReg can patch up font registrations for any font, on any version of Windows, for any locale, and it is my preferred way to do font registration fixups.

OuTman

Post by OuTman » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:02 am

just discovered even font filenames are localized... will add A LOT of extra processing in my install script :?

superleiw

Post by superleiw » Wed May 29, 2013 6:07 pm

thank you for this fix!