[REQUEST] Some common codecs

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
alsiladka

[REQUEST] Some common codecs

Post by alsiladka » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:31 am

i had requested it before this time in a better way. can anyone make a codec pack having the common codecs like divx, xvid, ogg, and such others. it shud lk other codec pack n not a switchles installer for later one. its a difficult challenge.

anyone wanna have a go?

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:36 am

Not me.

alsiladka

Post by alsiladka » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:59 am

well i noe this is a tougher one. hence it is a chalenge out there to all u proefessionals. who can get it up?

alsiladka

Post by alsiladka » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:25 am

the toughest of them all.Ryan wanna aply some brain on this?

Xable

Post by Xable » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:45 am

I know nothing about codecs other than i need to install them in order to play my media.

The problem is you need to know all about codecs so you know what files and reg entries need to go into the addon.

I would love somone to come along with a codec package that played all the main types of media, which is light and only contains the neccasairy files to do it`s job... no bloat. Then an addon could be made out of it.

petedy

Post by petedy » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:30 pm

it has been done here

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?sho ... 452&st=130#
KLITE140 codek

Xable

Post by Xable » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:53 pm

Yeah, i`m talking about a true addon, one that slipstreams the files not just adds a silent installer. alsiladka might be happy with that though.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:29 pm

Im giving it a go to see if i can create a complete slipstreamed addon, give me a couple of days, but can you guys be more specific as to what codecs you would like to be used.

ps, if you say matroska codecs im sorry but the shell extension and pack have to be installed by exacutable i tried doing directly but too much damn registry entries. :(.
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

Xable

Post by Xable » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:38 pm

I don`t like the allinone codec packs, they often contain a lot of crap. and would like a custom codec pack built from the ground up, which contains only the necessary files and is built by somone who knows thier stuff.

But this is not available atm and is a big task for anyone to build and maintain, so in the near future i plan on building an addon which contains the following;

CoRoNe`s DirectShow FilterPack
FFDShow
Real Alternative
QuickTime Alternative
Windows Media - This is so you can play windows media after removing WMP with nLite. Hasn`t been updated for a while and might need updating.

This is what i plan on doing eventualy but don`t hold me to it, and if anyone want`s to give it a go that would be great.

Jondar

Post by Jondar » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:59 pm

Xable wrote:Windows Media - This is so you can play windows media after removing WMP with nLite. Hasn`t been updated for a while and might need updating.
@Xable:

Unfortunately, I have no experience with "manual" codec installs (i.e. dealing with regentries, etc) but I do have a suggestion that might be a newer/better version than the link I quoted. While looking for the latest K-Lite pack, I noticed a link to something called "Windows Media Lite 1.2" that specifically mentions nLite. I'm hoping it's sort of a WMP-alt (which would be good, then I can make MPC my full default player)

I've yet to test it personally, though I plan to do a VM test by killing WMP completely in nLite, then installing this program and seeing what happens.

Maybe this might be of some use in addition to Real-Alt and QT-alt (which are also available at that link I mentioned)

-- Jondar

tingpu

Post by tingpu » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:12 am

Here, my Simplified Chinese decoders pack.

Common Decoders Pack:
ftp://elove:elove@219.149.195.9/HotPack ... ull1.3.cab

FFDShow:
ftp://elove:elove@219.149.195.9/HotPack ... ow1023.cab

The info of the packs is Simplified Chinese, but the most of the files are Englisgh.

Xable

Post by Xable » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:04 am

Thanxs Jondar will check that out.

tingpu thanx but can`t download, very slow and cuts out. Any mirrors?

Jondar

Post by Jondar » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:38 am

Reporting back on my experiences with Windows Media Lite 1.20...

Yesterday, I constructed a test ISO of just WinXP Home + SP2, with all WMP stuff taken out using nLite. I tested the ISO in VM. Installed fine, couldn't find anything related to the default WMP installation. I then installed Windows Media Lite 1.20 from the above URL. Except for one (minor) DLL/OCX register error at the end of the install (the file in question was MSDXM.OCX) the package installed OK. I then installed the latest MPC, and then tried to play a WMV file. I did have a minor audio codec problem (but I suspect that is due to the VM, or even that OCX file I mentioned above) but the Windows Media 9 Encoded video played fine.

@Xable: seems that Windows Media Lite 1.2 is something that could be used with Real-alt and QT-alt and MPC.