MUI (Language Interface) for WinXP - two inevitable errors?

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
SymSpaceT

MUI (Language Interface) for WinXP - two inevitable errors?

Post by SymSpaceT » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:49 am

Hello All,

I am working on adding Microsoft's Multi-User Language Interface pack to the installation as a silent installation. The goal would be to install the desired language interfaces as well during installation so that the os runs with the desired language interface "off the bat" (at first boot). It seem to be working at t12 from cmdlines.txt, but I am consistently getting the following two errors in the error log. These seem inevitable, and I would like to ask folks with more experience (I am a noob) to evaluate them and see if my conclusions are correct:

I get the following error once:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: SideBySide
Event Category: None
Event ID: 55
Date: 2009.07.31.
Time: 5:21:58
User: N/A
Computer: XX
Description:
The signer NT Build Lab of the assembly G:\$OEM$\LangPack\WinXP\GER.MUI\i386\ASMS\6000\MSFT\VCRTLMUI\VCRTLMUI.cat was too short - minimal key length is 2048 bits.
And I get the following error 6 times:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10005
Date: 2009.07.31.
Time: 5:22:46
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: XX
Description:
DCOM got error "The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service. " attempting to start the service helpsvc with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{833E4010-AFF7-4AC3-AAC2-9F24C1457BCE}

These errors are right after each other with the first one appearing after two occurrences of the second type.

Now I am installing two languages (German being one of them as per the error message) and the other does not give the first error message, so it seem that the first error is simply a bug in the German installer itself. Correct?

As for the second error, It seem that the installer tries to invoke the "Help and Support" service (?) known to run on an already installed system. It seem to me that this service is unavailable at t12 and so it cannot be invoked. Is this correct? If it is, then it seems MUI cannot be properly installed here, but has to be moved to GUIRunonce (in which case the os will not start wit the desired language, only after first reboot).

Note: There are updates as well for the MUI pack. If I set them to install at T12 after the MUI has installed, they produce about 20 more of the second error trying to use helpsvc. These updates are described as updates to the Help file of WinXP. I moved them to guirunonce and they install without errors.

The MUI seem to be working properly on the installed os. I noticed ONE problem concerning the Help part: when you are looking at these errors in the error log and you click on the link at the end of it, it normally invokes the "Help and Support" center with some info on the error (or no info). Now the Help and Support Center does get started but the page that supposed to display the info is totally blank.
Otherwise, the Help work fine inasmuch as I could test it.

SST

Pasha_ZZZ

Post by Pasha_ZZZ » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:28 am

From my CMDLINES.TXT:

Code: Select all

"!!MUI\muisetup.exe /i 0419 /d 0419 /l /f /r /s"
"!!UPDATE\KB841625.exe -u -n -z"
No errors at all...

SymSpaceT

Post by SymSpaceT » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:05 pm

Hi!

Thanks for the answer. So you get this installed on a WinXPSP3 system at T12 with no error messages in the "System" log afterward?

Can you tell me what the !! symbols do at the beginning of the lines?

Also what does the -u switch do for the updates? When I looked into the switches, the was no "u" switch listed.

SSt

Pasha_ZZZ

Post by Pasha_ZZZ » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:12 pm

SymSpaceT wrote:Thanks for the answer. So you get this installed on a WinXPSP3 system at T12 with no error messages in the "System" log afterward?
Yes, WinXP SP3 Eng VL, no errors.
SymSpaceT wrote:Can you tell me what the !! symbols do at the beginning of the lines?
Folders names beginnings (for sorting, these folder are always in top of list)
SymSpaceT wrote:Also what does the -u switch do for the updates? When I looked into the switches, the was no "u" switch listed.
-u = -passive = Unattended
Like -q, but with GUI showing progress...

ahmerkhan

Post by ahmerkhan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:23 pm

I tried my native URDU Language pack for XP SP3 but it is not working correctly as it was on sp2.