How to Make an Addon Pack: v1.2 (Non-Themes)

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

How to Make an Addon Pack: v1.2 (Non-Themes)

Post by DisabledTrucker » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:45 am

Attention: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ACTUALLY USE THE PACK CREATED IN THESE INSTRUCTIONS IT WILL ONLY CAUSE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR WINDOWS INSTALL!

The theme tutorial has finally been updated, this one is here primarily if you're not doing a theme but actually adding something that would fit into the TXTSETUP way of doing it without having to add any lines to it's current list of directory codes. Such as if you only needed to put something into System32 or System32\Drivers for an example.

The newest tutorial can be found here.

Before you get started make sure you have the following files:
  • 1. modifyPE.exe in your system32 folder
    2. makecab.exe in your system32 folder
    3. Either IZArc or another cabinet maker utility to make the actual .cab files with. 7zip won't create the .cab files itself.
    4. Notepad/Word/Wordpad to create the .ini files with.
    5. Folder created to hold your theme files while your working on the pack. For this example we'll use C:\User_Addon_BlissTheme to make things easier to follow. Use this as your working directory and place all the files your going to use for the pack in this, as these instructions assume that's the folder your working in.
    Remember to rename the folder using your username and the actual name of the theme pack but make sure that "Addon" is a part of the full name.
Now that you have the absolute necessary files installed let's get on with the directions:

NOTE: For the purposes of this article, I'm going to assume that you know how/where to get the files for your theme, and that you've also copied them to the working folder mentioned above. If not you might as well forget even attempting this.

Ok, first thing you need to do is familiarise yourself with the post Defining Entries.ini

The most important portions of that that you will need to know is [dosnet_files], [txtsetup_dirs], and the [txtsetup_files] sections.

Then you need to check with Collective list of Txtsetup.sif directory codes to see if the place your going to place your theme files has been used yet or not and if not create yours using the ones there as an example. Do not use a conflicting number though, for example you don't want to put your theme in "68 = Resources\Themes\Luna"!

Once you're familiar with that, you need to create the entries.ini file which will define where everything in your pack is going. For this example our entries.ini file will be called "Entries_User_BlissTheme.ini" and we'll go ahead and create a notepad file in our working folder using this naming convention for these examples. Of course you want to rename it using your username and the actual name of the theme, make sure that Entries.ini is in the name of it though.

The important parts for the RyanVM Integrator, are only the ones listed above.
if you want to put comments in it, start the comments off with a semi-colon, ";".

For example if you wanted to integrate the already integrated Luna theme into your installation, you would use:

Code: Select all

;*******************************************************
;Entries_User_BlissTheme.ini
;created 12/31/9999
;This is an example of a Luna Theme Pack
;Don't attempt to actually create this for WindowsXP
;as it will cause conflicts with it.
;*******************************************************

;this tells windows that the files are on the install disk
[dosnet_files]
d1,10646.ttf
d1,tahoma.ttf
d1,aloha.ttf
d1,frnknstn.ttf
d1,vistabls.jpg
d1, bliss.jpg
d1, luna.the
d1,luna.mst
d1,Bshell.dll
d1,Gshell.dll
d1,Sshell.dll

;this tells windows where each file goes
[txtsetup_dirs]
22 = Fonts
68 = Resources\Themes\Luna
69 = Resources\Themes\Luna\NormalColor
78 = Resources\Themes\Luna\Metallic
79 =Resources\Themes\Luna\Homestead
129 = Resources\Themes
500 = Web\Wallpaper

;this tells windows what each file is, where to put them, and renames it if necessary.
[txtsetup_files]
10646.ttf = 100,,,,,,,22,0,0,,1,22
tahoma.ttf = 100,,,,,,,22,0,0,,1,22
aloha.ttf = 100,,,,,,,22,0,0,,1,22
frnknstn.ttf = 100,,,,,,,22,0,0,,1,22,"frankenstien.ttf"
vistabls.jpg = 1,,,,,,,500,0,0,"Vista Bliss.jpg"
bliss.jpg = 1,,,,,,,500,0,0
;note below how I've reversed the files, thats so that when it's actually placed in the TXTSETUP.SIF file, it is added in the correct order.
Gshell.dll = 1,,,,,,,79,0,0,"ShellStyle.dll"
Sshell.dll = 1,,,,,,,78,0,0,"ShellStyle.dll"
Bshell.dll = 1,,,,,,,69,0,0,"ShellStyle.dll"
luna.the = 1,,,,,,,68,0,0,"Luna.theme"
luna.mst = 1,,,,,,,129,0,0,"Luna.msstyles"
Now save that file as "entries_User_BlissTheme.ini" in your working folder. (All you should have to do at this point is use [ctrl]+ to save it if you're following these directions.) Now that you're done with that you can close that file.
Make note that all files need to be named in the 8.3 DOS naming convention that are going to be included on the disk. See the example for the Frankenstien.ttf, Vista Bliss jpg, Luna.theme, and Luna.msstyles files above.

To make the .the and .mst files out of the respective .theme and .msstyles files you first need to shorten the extensions by renaming the files. Once you've done that, then you need to use the following commands to make all your files ready to go onto your slipstreamed disk:

Code: Select all

;not sure if the fonts actually need the modifype.
modifype.exe 10646.ttf -c
modifype.exe tahoma.ttf -c
modifype.exe aloha.ttf -c
modifype.exe frnknstn.ttf -c
modifype.exe bliss.mst -c
modifype.exe Bshell.dll -c
modifype.exe Gshell.dll -c
modifype.exe Sshell.dll -c
makecab.exe /D CompressionType=LZX /D CompressionMemory=21 10646.ttf
makecab.exe /D CompressionType=LZX /D CompressionMemory=21 tahoma.ttf
makecab.exe /D CompressionType=LZX /D CompressionMemory=21 aloha.ttf
makecab.exe /D CompressionType=LZX /D CompressionMemory=21 frnknstn.ttf
makecab.exe /D CompressionType=LZX /D CompressionMemory=21 vistabls.jpg
makecab.exe /D CompressionType=LZX /D CompressionMemory=21 bliss.jpg
makecab.exe /D CompressionType=LZX /D CompressionMemory=21 bliss.mst
makecab.exe /D CompressionType=LZX /D CompressionMemory=21 bliss..the
makecab.exe /D CompressionType=LZX /D CompressionMemory=21 Bshell.dll
makecab.exe /D CompressionType=LZX /D CompressionMemory=21 Gshell.dll
makecab.exe /D CompressionType=LZX /D CompressionMemory=21 Sshell.dll
Note there that the .jpg files don't need to be modifyPE'd. Also, note that the entries.ini file doesn't get modifiedPE'd nor makecab'd at all in this folder it must remain uncompressed in this folder.

Once you've modifyPE'd and makecab'd all the files you can move or delete the originals as you no longer need or want them in your working folder. Leave the entries.ini file in the folder though, it will be needed!

Now that you have everything almost done, you need to use your cabinet file maker software, (IZArc for example,) to compress all the files and make a .cab file out of the working directory, how you do this is to click on an empty area of your working folder, (and if you have IZArc properly installed,) use [ctrl]+[a] to select all the files, then right click on one of them and look for IZArc's submenu and tell it to make those files a .cab file. (For this example we'll use "User_Addon_BlissTheme.cab".)

Now test the pack yourself, using preferrably a clean install of Windows with just this pack slipstreamed first, to make sure it works. If you have a virtual machine you can also use that, but keep in mind even if you don't see errors with your pack, others may. Not everyone's going to install the pack the same way and the fact that others may have errors with your pack holds true no matter how many times or even how you have tested it yourself.

Once your done with that look for somewhere to host it, if you don't have a place already, (check with your ISP first, also RyanVM has posted a thread on this,) and then go to the forum and post a link to it. (It's my preference that until one of the moderators make the pack a [Release] that you either don't put that yourself or put [Beta] in front of it in the subject field, at least until others have had the chance to reply and let you know that it's working or not, as the case may be. (Also in my opinion, the moderators shouldn't make them a [Release] until they themselves have all had the oppertunity to use the packs and make sure that they work for them, just my opinion though. Could help with the confusions such as occured with my pack.) Make sure you give as many details you have about your pack in the main entry of the thread so that everyone knows what they are getting. If nothing else post a link to where they can go and look at the original work, if you can't or don't have screenshots of your own posted somewhere. Also make sure you have at least the file size of the pack, though it's preferred, if you know how to, to use a MD5 hash for it and have that information posted as well.

******************************************************************************************
If I've left any information out or someone else would like to contribute to this, please let me know, (via PM because I'm hoping this will be locked and/or at least stickied,) and I'll add your instructions to it as well. Especially if you've done something with one of your packs, like make a seperate .cab file inside the .cab file to house your files with, or would like to share the information on how you made the theme file a default. I'll gladly add those to this Tutorial.
~DisabledTrucker~
Last edited by DisabledTrucker on Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

FOOSA

Post by FOOSA » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:39 am

Thank you very much DisableTrucker. Was really waiting for this.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:45 am

I know that several have asked for this, is why I decided I would be the one to contribute what I knew worked thus far from making my own pack. It's far from being a "be all - end all" authority on the subject at this point, but at least it's a start for those who can't even figure out how to get this far.

I'd like to eventually add the information on how to make your theme a default theme as well as how to make a sub-cabinet file inside this file to hold things like LClock inside it, so that it can be installed as yet a seperate install and be more easily removed from the pack. Not to mention help others who may also want to use similar files with their packs so as not to cause any conflicts. If someone would like to post that information or send it to me in a PM or through yahoo, please do, and I'll add it to this tutorial.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:46 am

Great Tutorial DT! ;) I am sure some will find this info very helpful! :D
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:55 am

Thanks, coming from you that means a lot.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:34 pm

Made a couple of minor changes to it, now v1.2.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:37 am

I'll update this soon with the directions on how to do it without the txtsetup entries using a seperate cabinet file and inf to install it once I complete my debugging of my own pack.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:16 pm

Here is the original one in case anyone was looking for it...

The Version 2.0 is up and has the way we're now doing it using a seperate .inf file to do the actual installtions. The entries.ini file now is only used to let windows know about the .inf file and it's subsequent .cab file.